52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • 2. Stray (PS5) - 18/1 (7 hrs)
    Simple, unoriginal and somewhat average gameplay [5], elevated by the post-apocalyptic dystopian setting that is my favourite and some lovely atmospheric visuals and sound [+1] and the fact that you play as a beautiful cat [+1].
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    2. Stray (PS5) - 18/1 (7 hrs) 
    Simple, unoriginal and somewhat average gameplay [5], elevated by the post-apocalyptic dystopian setting that is my favourite and some lovely atmospheric visuals and sound [+1] and the fact that you play as a beautiful cat [-5]. 
    [1]
  • 11. Resident Evil 3 Remake - Xbox Series S (4hrs 25mins)

I hated this for the most part. It still manages to do that typical Resi thing where certain elements threaten to win you over despite the shonky foundations, but the good is vastly outweighed by the bad here.

I always thought Resi 3 was the all-guns-blazing one (along with 5), which this definitely isn't until the final third. The whole stalking thing ruined chunks of Resi 2 for me, which saw Mr. X relentlessly popping up in front of you like Droopy from a particular cartoon my primary school always used to show during wet break (note to self: reference is too specific). I suppose the fact that the Nemesis only appears at scripted points here is an improvement, but not by much. On numerous occasions he'll burst through a wall and comically fail to kill Jill. A weak chase scene will ensue, where you'll have to run away until you find a ladder, a particularly heavy lockable door or a male character to save you. Whenever Jill takes damage from the 12ft beastie in a cut-scene (including, among numerous other fatal looking incidents, splash damage from a rocket launcher that blows her over a wall) she shakes it off by limping a little as the camera woozily swivels around before settling into the over the shoulder position and handing the reins back to the player, which is now 3D adventure parlance for 'that was a close one but off you go'. Then you'll need to slowly walk forwards again until the game decides Jill's recovered enough to jog on. One QTE requires the player to hold the left stick up for 30 seconds while you crawl into the screen. I get that this is a remake, but it's fundamentally awful as a modern game. The puzzles are just item based to-ing and fro-ing, the combat could be from any third person action game from the PS2 onwards and the limited inventory space/magic storage chest stuff is still ridiculous. I get that people like this, and existing fans want the series to play the hits (especially the remakes, of course) but the scales must have fallen from a few eyes with this effort. The dogs in this look and move like Capcom are having us on - 'lel, let's see if they notice that the Doberman models are from a cancelled PS3 remake' - and almost any enemy that isn't a slow-shuffling zombie highlights how poor the shoot & move mechanics are. The lesser-spotted lickers are disastrous too, as half of their animation frames seem to have gone missing.

A few ropey character models aside it's nice and glossy visually, hitting its marks for the most part and running very smoothly thanks to the next gen update on SS (with Ray Tracing, apparently). The voice acting/dialogue is as bad as (I assume) it's supposed to be - especially from the Keanu Reeves chap - but honestly I think its time to throw a lot of these survival horror tropes out with the bathwater and give us a more modern spin on the archaic formula. There was some discussion recently about how the Metal Gear Solid series feels so outdated now, pre V overhaul, but to me the Resident Evil games still feel like they're waiting for that proper reinvention. Something where the player can climb over waist-high obstacles, perhaps. Or isn't totally invulnerable during a lockpicking sequence. Or can't find locker codes on nearby notice boards, or safe codes in suicide notes. Or even (shock survival horror) finds a way to explain why getting your neck munched by umpteen zombies never infects the player character. Maybe green herbs were the cure all along? I played Village last year, and it was good, but despite the recent shift to a first person view it still felt like the the same old same old to me. It defines the genre to an extent, but the 'not enough room to swing a cat' feeling the franchise leans on gets on my tits, and it's particularly prevalent in 3.

The pretty graphics and occasional decent sections can't disguise the fact that it's a bad game with a bad story, poor puzzles, irritating chase sequences, crap aim-for-the-head shooting and a general hangover from an era that's been left behind by most other major ongoing videogame franchises. [5]

Definitely the worst RE I've played and probably not worth the £8.24 I paid.

cafa474a0f8bf548f6c71c1e11d17230666e1fd2.gifv
  • 12. Melatonin - Switch (2-3hrs)

A hidden gem, selected by Tilly.  She decided she wanted this when it popped up on a Nindies Direct a few months ago, so we grabbed it last weekend.  It's basically Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven/Paradise with more of a western vibe, and right from the start it impressed me with the feel of its minigames.  After suffering A Musical Story late last year it was nice to find a game to reaffirm the fact that a) the rhythm part of rhythm games doesn't have to suck, and b) I don't actually suck at them.

This plays out over four nights and a morning. For the first four nights you'll need eight stars (from a possible twelve) from four minigames to tackle a fifth one, which is a mash-up/medley of the four stages at once.  When you reach the morning stage - spoiler alert - you'll have to face a final exam that incorporates every previous minigame, like a massive rhythm action boss rush.  

We played through a night a night this week, and both really enjoyed it.  It's a shame there aren't more stages, but the 12 or so it has are almost all legit (I struggled with baseball and plant watering, ergo I'll blame those rather than myself), so it's still a fully formed, affordable banger.  If I gave half marks it'd get an extra 0.5, some of the sections are almost as good as the peas on forks game in Beat the Beat.  [8] 

• 13. S.N.I.P.E.R: Hunter Scope - Switch (135mins)

Occasionally I succumb to fomo when it comes to missing out on a deal, and grab something on my watch list a few hours before it goes back up to full price. This has been on there for a couple of years, during which time it's been in and out of sales constantly, yet I've never pulled the trigger. I finally bit the high caliber bullet and nabbed it for 89p a few days ago. Polite notice: do not pay £12.99 for this. Additional: it's not bad though, so maybe give it a whirl for 89p.

I miss lightgun games and occasionally play gyro style indie imitations (Blue Estate on PS4, for example). It's an upsetting substitute, but it can work quite well. The best way to play this one is with split JoyCons. The left one handles gyro aiming, reticle reset (which of course you'll need to use loads, annoyingly), and the optional scope for sniper stages. The right one is used for your trigger/reload/items. I'd like to try one of those gun holder things at some point; I should pick one up really as it might be a good fit for this.

I can't really say this is a good game, because it falls a fair way short for a few reasons, but it is immensely satisfying to pop heads when you're in the groove. Stages are all rails based and split into three types: Sniper (good), Virtua Cop style (good) and cover-based Time Crisis efforts (fucking atrocious, because the cover system doesn't seem to work). You'll have to survive for a certain amount of time in each as they loop around through a randomised succession of pre-set segments. I still haven't worked out what the 'take a breather' button does, because it doesn't give you back any health, but you also have access to limited use power-ups like flashbangs, bullet time, night vision goggles and so on. The response time on everything feels ever so slightly delayed though, which you'll learn to adjust to put up with.

It's all pretty lightweight/knockabout, despite the fatal snipering element, highlighted by the fact that each level begins with a 3,2,1, FIGHT! countdown. Even Geometric Sniper tried to tell you that shooting people in the head is bad, so don't expect anything but interactive get some!/hoo-ar! here. Unfortunately, like a lot of these mobile port games (I'm guessing tbf, but it definitely has that vibe) it's grind to win, rather than win to progress, hence me not finishing it before ditching it to review. I've unlocked and completed 11 of (iirc) 16 stages, but the progression/unlock system is entirely dependent on total points and slows to a crawl the further you get in the game. I'd need 100,000 points to access the last level, for example (I currently have 40,000), and much as I enjoyed most of my time with this I'm not spending another 4hrs grinding previously defeated stages. Still, for 89p it's absolutely fine for an hour or three. The combo system is broken, as a lot of stages don't allow you to keep a meaningful chain going between enemy waves, and the whole score/multiplier element feels like minimal amount of effort went into the specifics, but it's an okay game for what it is, and more pertinently, how much it might cost you if you bide your time. They don't tend to make 'em like this any more, but I still like to play stuff like this from time to time. [6]

It also has a smashingly in-depth stat screen, if that sort of thing floats your boat. Unsurprisingly, there don't seem to be any gifs for this so here's a trailer.

One more smol game on the to-do list to finish, then I'm going full Fire Emblem: Engage moran.
  • 14. Donut Dodo - Switch (3hrs)

Stayed up too late last night getting to grips with this, then managed to blooter through the default mode by the skin of my teeth this morning (5 stages x2).  It's really bloody good at what it does, and if you're in the market for an authentic feeling faux early 80s Donkey Kong/Burger Time hybrid I suggest you look no further.  Controls are spot on, it's the perfect mix of improvement through repetition + quick decision making, the 5 screens and bonus stage are all legit and the combo system is great.  Grab all the donuts followed by the big central one that the dodo is guarding to finish a stage.  Standard donuts are worth 25pts, but if you grab the one that's flashing it's 150pts.  Grab a flashing donut and one of the remaining donuts (chosen at random) will start to flash - collect that one next and it's another 150 points, plus a combo chain of two and so on.  So the key to scoring big is in the risk/reward nature of only going after the flashing donuts where possible (easier said than done), which means spending longer in the stages (ergo increasing your chances of getting killed).  The risk is worth the reward though, certainly on the easy-medium setting, as extra lives are dished out every 15000 points.  

Instead of carrying on I'll let the review in this month's Retro Gamer do the talking. It's an odd magazine at times but they often get nu retro reviews spot on, for my tastes at any rate.

20230122-143909.jpg

Another [8], chuffed with most of the games I've played so far this year.  I did say I only had one more bitesize game to play before diving into Fire Emblem, but I've bought another one because I'm clearly trying to avoid starting FE as a) it's a whopper, and b) I'm scared I won't like it.  So one more tiddler after this one, then I'll start Fire Emblem.  I should be playing Mario Rabbids: Sparks of Hope really, but Tilly won't let me play it solo and doesn't seem to ever want to play it with me.  So a potential GotY for me from 2022 is just sitting there unloved.  Anyway, I digress, as they used to say in ye olde games mags.

Scoff at the gif all you like, but this plays a lot better than Donkey Kong and I'd be up for some score challenges on here. 

Donut-DoDo-GIF.gif
  • Looking at this now. Tempted to make it my first Switch eshop purchase.
    50p less on Steam but the Switch is easier to plug into the TV.

There is an Atari VCS version :-)
  • Yeah I nearly gave up there.  Pay for double health before you start the stage and muddle through by just lining up head shots and blasting.  Reload whenever your character moves.  Don't bother to take cover manually.  Worst stage in the game (although there's a near-enough identical one later).  If you make it to the machine gun turret with 30 health or higher you should be okay.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Looking at this now. Tempted to make it my first Switch eshop purchase. 50p less on Steam but the Switch is easier to plug into the TV. There is an Atari VCS version :-)

Do it.  If you've sized the game up and you're still considering it I don't see how it could disappoint.
  • Done. Haven't got past the 2nd screen yet after 3 attempts.

It's great.
  • Yep. Third stage is my fave.

15. Retro Highway - Switch (2hrs)

We were Tillyless for most of the day, so instead of doing anything productive I mostly alternated between two cheapo EShop games while the wife watched TV. This has been on my watch list for well over a year, but £4.99 always struck me as a little steep (for what could potentially be a stinker). It's down to £2.49 rn though, which was biting point for me.

I quite like some of the imitation super scaler indie racers - particularly the wonderful Slipstream, which I played earlier this year. This one's a bit of a nothing effort though (despite being possibly better than the lacklustre 80's Overdrive). It's also not quite what I expected, as there's no accelerate or brake buttons; it's just perpetual motion with a nitro boost and various challenges to tick off. New courses require a certain amount of completed challenges to unlock, and the money you pick up along the way can be spent on better bikes or longer lasting power-ups.

I'd suggest avoiding this unless you're happy to play middling efforts though. There's a throwaway mobile game feel to it, partly due to the way rearranging challenges time locks to once every 15 minutes, but also thanks to the relentless grind, which eventually takes its toll to the point where it all grinds to a halt. I currently need to tick off 16 more challenges to unlock the final stage, and I can't be arsed. It doesn't help that the only genuinely playable course is the first one, as the rest are too busy or narrow to be enjoyable, which means 90% of the my playtime took place on the first level, despite the fact that I'd unlocked a further six or seven. [5], although I can't say I regret playing it because the traffic weaving/ramp jumping is kinda fun. The soundtrack does an excellent job of replicating the cheaper side of EA MD efforts, so it gains half a point for that. Average stuff, but not a terrible way to kill an afternoon.

Retro-Highway-Pic-4.gif
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    To my surprise I'm actually fairly on track with this so far.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • 16. Hi-Fi Rush - Xbox Series S (10hrs 23mins)

*Minor ability spoilers within*

Oh-so-pretty non-AAAA rhythm action game that's happy to build its thing around the fairly straightforward 3D (not to be confused with DDD) template of yesteryear. It's AA A to B stuff, ergo if you get lost you're a C. I've been craving similar titles for years, but there's something extra special about the ones that look like the absolute business (see also: Kena: Bridge of Spirits). I can't fault the visuals in this - it's basically ultimate form cel shading and looks like an expensive cartoon at all times. I tried to push through before Tilly caught wind of it (because sometimes I just like to get stuff done - she still doesn't know I've already played A Rift in Time, for example) but she managed to watch 15mins of it last night and was still chatting about what the girls were wearing/what was on Chai's T shirt/the robot cat 45 minutes after she was supposed to be asleep.

Everything is supposedly underpinned by rhythm, with a strong focus on executing inputs on the beat. This makes combat a bit of a mixed bag, unfortunately - more specifically, it almost pretends to be relying on something it isn't. When you start the fights feel surprisingly good, then they quickly become tedious to the point where I was dreading the sight of any arena sized squares, then it gifts you a game changing ability that improves things massively (the zipline), then it starts to layer far too much on.... but by the end it had somehow started to feel pretty good again, in spite of the manic nature of wrestling with everything all at once. Too many systems spoil the broth, and I'd say the rhythm element doesn't quite work in battle (to the point where I had to just forget it at times), but even so there possibly is a borderline legit combat system to learn if you stick with it. I definitely don't fancy it past the credits though - I was nailing A ranks when it felt like I'd totally fudged my timing fairly regularly, and improving to S ranks would be oh God no stuff for me as I know from the way it feels that I'd take no satisfaction from gittin gud. Tldr is I probably don't know what the fuck I'm talking about with the combat because my overall takeaway is 'swing and a miss maybe', but perhaps I just sucked at it. I hear that The Wonderful 101 has a decent combat system, but I've played it for 5hrs (that felt like 15) and just can't imagine anyone not hating it. If we're talking relentless arena battles I couldn't help comparing this to Rollerdrome at times, partly thanks to the visuals no doubt, and even though that game has its own problems the similarly frenetic combat is miles better than it is in this.

The general stages are decent enough. Chai could do with a run button and his jump length is annoyingly short (although an early gifted ability fixes this to a workable extent). Like most linear 3D games there's a lot of go left for a secret, go right to progress stuff, but I didn't have to go searching for gears and upgrades quite as much as I did so the relentless nooks and crannies could've been avoided. I loved every rails section but, as is almost always the case, when a 3D game shifts to a forced 2D perspective you notice how janky the platforming is. Those sections are few and far between though, and brief, so they get a pass in the name of variety.

I struggled to decide on a score for this. I'd say I really enjoyed it, rather than just enjoyed it, but at the same time I wonder how much the ridiculously nice visuals and surprise sub drop affected my goodwill stats. I wouldn't say it runs out of ideas per se, but it does end up using some it could've done without. ERE mentioned the level length and he's bang on; they're far too long. The buddy abilities don't do it any favours either, and are partly responsible for the fact that it feels overwhelming and overloaded by the final stretch. Their addition is in keeping with 128-bit design nods, but not everything from the Dreamcast gen needs to be revisited.

This probably reads like a [6] now but I genuinely had a blast, as evidenced by the fact that I hammered it for well over an hour a day since launch, so it gets a [7]. I'd play a sequel and it looks like I'll have to play this again shortly, if Tilly gets her way. Easy mode will be selected though, not that the main difficulty puts up much resistance if you rely on the health boost special.

So in summary, #Goodtimes with caveats. More often than not I'd take slightly wonky 10hr, straight-ahead action adventures over genuine GOAT 'goodbye, all other games' stuff like The Witcher III, Souls etc. so more of this sort of thing please. Fingers crossed enough people download and enjoy this to make sequels/similarly glossy littlebig games viable.

227636948ee2bed4474e5017dad74583.gif
  • 17. Orbital Bullet - Switch (5-6hrs)

Absolutely done with this, and I'm seething. For two reasons: 1. The port is atrocious. At least I'm 90% sure the port is at fault here (if not, why would anyone want to play an approximation of a PS1 game in 2023 that actually runs like it might on a genuine PS1?). 2. I didn't finish it, partly because of my previous point, and partly because during my most fruitful run my wife asked me to get something out of a wardrobe next to the monitor I was playing on and I stupidly forgot to pause, then I realised I'd been standing in lava in the game for maybe 10 seconds, which had drained my health to the absolute minimum, requiring the use of a precious health pack. I managed to recover and continue with my good run - and even apologised for my mini tantrum - then the final boss killed me with a slither of its own health left. But aha, I knew I was about to merk him because I'd unlocked the resurrection perk prior to that run, which would bring me back from the brink with 20% health, he'd be finished in 2-3 seconds at the rate I was annihilating him, roll credits. Except it turns out I must've used it when I was standing in the lava during the fucking wardrobe incident. Fuming. Actually there are more than two reasons why I'm done with it/didn't finish it/am seething, but I can't be bothered to rewrite the first half of this paragraph. I decided to take my lumps and start another run (after spending my saved credits on more permaboosts), then took the same path again in an attempt to reach the final boss. I proceeded to smash it, and was doing even better than I had on my previous go (I even had two health packs left by the start of the third planet). Then out of the blue an autojump between floors glitched. The character hit his head during what should have been an automatic floor switch and run was fucked. No way out, stuck on a cleared floor while enemies blasted at nothing above me. More silent incandescent rage, followed by some aimless circling just to make triple sure I really was stuck. I realised the game saves at the beginning of each world, so I managed to reload it and carry on from the start of the planet (Talos, in case anyone's wondering). Then it happened again, in the same place, and as the layout was identical I assume the randomiser just shat the bed and locked me into a good old no-win procgen ballsup. Anger had gone from slow-cook to simmer at this point; I was literally shaking my head in disgust, and probably even tutted a few times. 25 years ago I probably would've walloped the wall with the pad. I still had the house to myself for another 45mins or so as the girls had gone swimming during my glitched run, so because the game was becoming easier every time I died (to the point where permanent upgrades I'd unlocked had pushed it as close to 'a breeze' in terms of difficulty as any roguelike I've played) I decided to close the software completely, reload and have another go, because the final boss was still begging to be taken out. I chose the same route, was doing fairly well, noted the different layout for Talos and thought to myself 'surely it won't happen again', then of course seconds later it happened again. The character bomped its head on an invisible barrier while making an auto transition between floors, leaving me on a cleared floor that was glitched into acting like an active floor (i.e. manual teleporting between floors was blocked). Which was the point where I decided to bin it.

In places it drops to maybe 15fps on Switch, and stutters to the point of ignoring jump inputs when it's having a wobble. The performance at the start of one planet is particularly outrageous. I can't deny this is a fun game once you get in the rhythm, in spite of its performance issues, but when there's an ever-looming risk of another bug crushing a 25 minute run it can fuck off for good imo.

It does some good things. The gameplay loop is decent. I can't deny I was addicted, but it's not a patch on Resogun, or a couple of other wrap around shooters, and really could have been a lot better. [6] for the game if you play the version I assume the devs put effort into, [4] on Switch because I don't see how I could justify anything higher. The port is so muddy and low res compared to the PC footage I've seen on YouTube it should be running at an unwavering 60fps from start to finish, yet it never seems to get anywhere remotely close once it gets going. I think the most annoying thing is that I might give it another go tonight, and just take a different route to avoid the offending planet, but I shouldn't have to and I shouldn't want to. I'm probably equipped to crush it though, as I've levelled up further, plus I'm only missing two boss keys to find out what's behind The Secret Door. Welp. It wasn't a typical Moot cheapo either, £10.79 even after the discount. I said it in another thread: I bet a skilled programmer could get this running fairly smoothly on OG Playstation hardware with miminal trimming of the minimal bells and whistles. The port is a disgrace and so are the reviews that don't highlight the fact that it runs like shit on Nintendo's geriatric HW. I can't even be bothered to explain what's good about the game when it's properly strutting its stuff. Feel my pain, @Jonb.

2.gif?t=1667822820
  • Urgh. So many shoddy Switch ports these days. It was PC only when I played it, and the speedy rhythm of it is definitely one of the main reasons it works, so I can see why that would be a major issue.
  • So disappointing. There's a safe but enjoyable game in there otherwise - very 'one more go' (as proven by the fact that I still half fancy another go - the long shot sniping is great). Plus it's nice to have a roguelike that feels bitesize in comparison to the time sinks. It's the same whether you play docked or undocked too.
  • So I had one more go and encountered the same problem on Talos, because I ended up there anyway. Uninstalled.
  • Most Switch reviews I read really don't go into much detail on performance - been that way for a while and there's so many awful games, performance-wise, on that system. At this point you have to assume that a lot of games will run badly.
  • Yeah. Thing is with this one I even watched a FPS performance vid on YouTube to ensure I wasn't buying a dud, which didn't dip below 50fps. In hindsight it only showed the first stage, which is obviously far less busy than the rest of them due to the limited number of enemies. The Switch should piss all over this, its very simplistic visually. I've seen no mention online of the progress scuppering bug I've now repeatedly encountered, so I assume it's something to do with my save file as it's already been patched at least once, but at this point who knows and who cares.
  • Sorry man, that’s rough.
  • I'm just stropping because I quite like the game. I've bought Sword Ship to rinse out the bad taste anyway - definitely locked at 60fps on Switch apparently.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    5. God of War: Ragnarok - PS5 - 34hrs 18mins - hack and slash through the 9 realms in this sequel to one of my favourite PS4 games. Is it as good? No. The gameplay is there, it’s looks fantastic and it’s definitely at least a triple A game. But it suffers the sequel problem of bloat. Too much fetch questing, especially in the latter half of the game where you get to your goal to just go somewhere else while your companions rattle out tales that you don’t pay attention to. Having said all that the end game was a very satisfying experience with some fun final fights and a nice way to handle post-story side quest progression, though I think it’ll be a while before I go back. [8]
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    1. Borderlands 3 (PC) - 32 hours (including quite a few side missions and a run through of one of the DLCs)

I am a self confessed fan of Borderlands, even though I know it has flaws - most enemies are WAY too bullet spongy and you get into a rut of sticking with one gun that works way beyond where you probably should. Despite that I always gravitate towards them for my shooty goodness - in fact it's pretty much the only FPS game I enjoy.
    This one....well, let me be honest. The story is mostly a pile of shite. Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2 was such a good villain, they really couldn't outdo that, and they really didn't here. By the time I finished it I really didn't give a shit about who I was trying to kill.
    The gameplay is the same old Borderlands. If you love it, you'll like this, if not, this definitely won't convert you.
    Dragged down by the story, and the distinct lack of Tiny Tina in the game - wavering between a [7] and [8] so it'll have to be a [7.5]
  • 18. Swordship - Switch (2hrs)

The most important thing to know about this one is that it's a small but perfectly formed score chaser. Do not buy this if you expect you'd feel short changed by seeing pretty much everything it has to offer within a couple of hours. Much like the similarly excellent Donut Dodo the real hook is the leaderboard, coupled with the dangling carrot of skill improvement while chasing success. Both games can be successfully finished (in terms of having a set end point, rather than the open ended approach of some arcade style games), and both can be finished fairly quickly, but neither is intended as a one and done experience. It's a well worn adage that the real game starts once the credits roll. Except it doesn't - the real game starts from the moment you first play it, but I'm sure you catch my drift.

Most of us have played games where you can manipulate enemies into shooting each other. Flashback and El Viento spring to mind for me, and of course DOOM (although I had the 32X version where the demons never got vexed with one another because they couldn't turn around). I don't think I've played one where the fake out 'cooee, here I am!' targeting/slipping aside is the crux of the whole vibe though. Your sword hovercraft sub-ship thingy isn't equipped with the necessary cannons/lasers for shumpping (or a sword, surprisingly) so you need to position it in a way that tricks enemies into friendly fire. The controls are simple, with the the analogue movement being particularly pitch perfect, but the real secret sauce is the dive move, where you can submerge for a few seconds of total invulnerability while keeping full maneuverability. Make no mistake, this is no damp squid weak sauce iframe window; it's essential for the dodge 'em up gameplay loop and you can remain underwater for quite a while (with a brief cooldown when you come up for more baking soda, to avoid spamming). Oh, and the terrific audio muffles while you're submerged too, adding a subtle chef's kiss. In a nutshell, you'll be hurtling down the screen avoiding baddies/cheekily causing them to do your bidding while grabbing containers which appear intermittently. Once a certain number have been nabbed or missed, the stage ends (assuming you don't take a hit, as one hit always kills). You start with a single life and have to pay for more between stages with precious cargo. There's no point in explaining the intricacies here because picking it up on the fly is part of the initial appeal.

There are only three sets of stages before the end boss appears. Depending on the selected difficulty (only beginner is available from the off) there might be extra containers to grab per stage, but even on expert mode it's a short game, assuming you've got the skills to see it out. I think my limit will be normal mode, but I'm not going to move on until I've killed the last boss at least once (there's a flee option after its first phase, which I've had to take every time so far as I found my life reserves dwindling fast).

It's a banging game, and might make my goty list for 2022. I'll have to have a think. If it was ever so slightly cheaper it'd be a [9], but for £16.99 (with an extra 30% off for the rest of the month) and considering that the leaderboard appears to be borked on Switch, I think a super strong [8] is a better fit. I looks fantastic and runs perfectly too - even the dynamic camera that highlights big moments didn't annoy me, but if it did the option is there to disable it anyway. Great shout @tin_robot. I know Eurogamer gets a bad rep in certain quarters but I like the fact that they seem to back their reviewers to go big if they're playing a game they love - it's nice to see something like this pick up an Essential rec, and I can see why a certain type of player might consider it worthy of top marks.

bg55yweg24ajcblmipxb.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    6. Inside - PS5 - 2hrs - playing this after Somerville I can see why it’s well received. A simpler set of mechanics makes for a much better game. Where Somerville was apocalyptic sci-fi this is very much dystopian body horror. It was fun while it lasted but I’m knocking a point off because of the ending [8].
  • I’ll wait for a sale on sword ship.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope…
    Spoiler:
  • Opinions etc, but I think Inside might have the best videogame ending ever, which probably added a point for me.  

1. Slipstream [9]
    2. Blazing Chrome [8]
    3. ElecHead [9]
    4. UnderMine [8]
    5. Super Fantasy Zone 78%
    6. My Time on Frog Island [5]
    7. Mighty Gunvolt Luminous Avenger iX [7]
    8. Lunistice [8]
    9. Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider [8]
    10. Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition [8]
    11. Resident Evil 3 Remake [5]
    12. Melatonin [8]
    13. S.N.I.P.E.R: Hunter Scope [6]
    14. Donut Dodo [8]
    15. Retro Highway [5]
    16. Hi Fi Rush [7]
    17. Orbital Bullet [4]
    18. Swordship [8]
    19. Alisia Dragoon [1]
    20. Kuru Kuru Kururin [9]
    21. Olli Olli World: Finding the Flowzone [8]
    22. Please Touch The Artwork [N/A]
    23. Alien Storm [4 out of 6]
    24. Sophstar [9]
    25. Gunstar Future Heroes [7]
    26. Andro Dunos [3 out of 6]
    27. Ninja Commando [5 out of 6]
    28. Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Advance [4 out of 6]
    29. Asura Blade: Sword of Dynasty [3 out of 6]
    30. Pulstar [1 out of 6]
    31. Asterix [5 out of 6....but then I went back and gave it 2 out of 6, which seems harsh. So I dunno, 3 out of 6?]
    32. A Short Hike [9]
    33. Onion Assault [7]
    34. Robocop Arcade [6 out of 6]
    35. Rastan Saga II [2 out of 6]
    36. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs [5 out of 6]
    37. Evil West [7]
    38. Hook [2 out of 6]
    39. The Cliffhanger Featuring Edward Randy [5 out of 6]
    40. Shock Troopers 2nd Squad [3 out of 6]
    41. Dolphin Blue [5 out of 6]
    42. Bare Knuckle Z [6]
    43. The Lucky Dime Caper [5 out of 6]
    44. Valiant Hearts: Coming Home [7]
    45. Alien Vs Predator [6 out of 6]
    46. The Simpsons [2 out of 6]
    47. The Punisher [4 out of 6]
    48. Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder [4 out of 6]
    49. Sengoku 3 [3 out of 6]
    50. SegaSonic The Hedgehog [1 out of 6]
    51. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara [4.5 out of 6]
    52. Double Dragon Neon [6]
    53. Captain America & The Avengers [3 out of 6]
    54. Spider-Man: The Videogame [3 out of 6]
    55. Storyteller [6]
    56. Battletoads Arcade [1 out of 6]
    57. Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter [3.5 out of 6]
    58. Shadow Force [2.5 out of 6, 4.75 out of 6, or somewhere in between]
    59. Tchia [7] (Tilly 4 stars)
    60. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker [5 out of 6]
    61. Pu-Li-Ru-La [2.5 out of 6]
    62. Strider (2014) [8]
    63. Adios [7]
    64. Comix Zone 53%
    65. Streets of Rage 2 98%
    66. Violent Storm [4 out of 6]
    67. Denjin Makai [4.5 out of 6]
    68. Guardians: Denjin Makai II [6 out of 6]
    69. Undercover Cops [3 out of 6]
    70. Warrior Blade: Rastan III [4 out of 6]
    71. Spinfrog: All Aboard The Frogcopter [6]
    72. Sports Story [7]
    73. Aliens [4 out of 6]
    74. Alien3: The Gun [3.5 out of 6]
    75. X-Men (32X) [N/A]
    76. Bucky O'Hare [2.5 out of 6]
    77. Tetris Effect [9]
    78. The Gladiator [4 out of 6]
    79. Riot City [3.5 out of 6]
    80. Ninja Baseball Bat Man [4 out of 6]
    81. Growl [4 out of 6]
    82. Knuckle Bash [3 out of 6]
    83. Goat Simulator 3 [8]
    84. Final Fight 2 [4.5 out of 6]
    85. Pistol Whip [9]
    86. Sagaia
    87. Darius Gaiden
    88. Inscryption [8]
    89. Synth Riders [8]
    90. Night Slashers [4.5 out of 6]
    91. Metamorphic Force [4 out of 6]
    92. Terror of Tthe Hemasaurus [8]
    93. What the Bat [6]
    94. Panzer Dragoon Remake [7]
    95. Huntdown [9]
    96. Cuphead: The DLC [9]
    97. As Dusk Falls [8]
    98. Big Karnack [2.5 out of 6]
    99. Runner [5]
    100. TMNT Shredder's Revenger [8]
    101. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 94%
    102. Planet of Lana [8]
    103. The Callisto Protocol [8]
    104. Willow [3 out of 6]
    105. Immortality [10]
    106. TMNT [3 out of 6]
    107. The Excavation of Hob's Barrow [8]
    108. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles 95%
    109. Spidersaurs [4]
    110. El Viento 81%
    111. Sonic The Hedgehog CD 73%
    112. Monomals [8]
    113. Bramble: The Mountain King [6]
    114. X-Men Arcade [3 out of 6]
    115. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope [7]
    116. Moss Book II [8]
    117. Splatoon 3 [8]
    118. Garlic [8]
    119. Steamworld Dig [8]
    120. The Pinball Wizard [6]
    121. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (MS) 63%
    122. Sonic Chaos 77%
    123. The Quarry [6]
    124. T2: The Arcade Game (MD) 61%
    125. Zombieland Headshot Fever Reloaded [8]
    126. Keio Flying Squadron 80%
    127. Zombie Revenge 46%
    128. Venba [8]
    129. Shinobi Legions 79%
    130. Sega Rally Championship 94%
    131. Tiny Thor [4]
    132. Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy [4 out of 6]
    133. Fighting Force 74%
    134. Annalynn [7]
    135. Mutation Nation [2 out of 6]
    136. The Adventures of Batman & Robin 39%
    137. The Terminator (Mega CD) 81%
    138. Blasphemous 2 [8]
    139. What the Golf DLC [8]
    140. Minit Fun Racer [6]
    141. Ace Combat 7 [7]
    142. Outrun (MD) 82%
    143. Outrun 2019 79%
    144. Turbo Outrun [3.5 out of 6]
    145. Outrunners [5.5 out 6]
    146. Thunder Ray [5]
    147. Outrun Europa 69%
    148. Gunbrella [5]
    149. Night Striker [3.5 out of 6]
    150. Outrun 2006 C2C (PSP) [9]
    151. Robocop 2 [2 out of 6]
    152. Cocoon [8]
    153. Astalon: Tears of the Earth [9]
    154. Solar Ash [7]
    155. Subpar Pool [7]
    156. Rocket Knight Adventures XBLA [6]
    157. Ducktales Remastered [5]
    158. Super Mario Bros Wonder [9.5]
    159. Ranger-X 90%
    160. Spider-Man 2 [8]
    161. A.B Cops [3 out of 6]
    162. Altered Beast [2 out of 6]
    163. Bay Route [3.5 out of 6]
    164. Biomechanical Toy [3 out of 6]
    165. Revenge of Shinobi 94%
    166. Road Avenger 81%
    167. B-Rap Boys [2 out of 6]
    168. Afterburner II [4 out of 6]
    169. Before Your Eyes [7]
    170. Panorama Cotton 82%
    171. Clockwork Aquario [4 out of 6]
    172. Will You Snail? [8]
    173. Mystic Riders [2.5 out of 6]
    174. Haiku the Robot [9]
    175. The Adventures of Chris [3]
    176. Osman/Cannon Dancer [3.5 out of 6]
    177. R-Type Leo [4 out of 6]
    178. Racing Hero [2 out of 6]
    179. Riding Fight [5 out of 6]
    180. Rockman: Power Battle [4 out of 6]
    181. Sly Spy/Secret Agent [3 out of 6]
    182. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade [2.5 out of 6]
    183. Pixel Club Soccer: Ultimate Edition [6]
    184. Nuclear Blaze [7]
    185. Robocop: Rogue City [6]
    186. The House of the Dead Remake [4]
    187. Streets of Rage 2 96%
    188. Back to the Future III 36%
    189. The Terminator 76%
    190. Batman Forever 23%
    191. Rambo: First Blood Pt.2 82%
    192. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [8]
    193. Alan Wake 2 [7]
    194. Gravity Circuit [8]
    195. Wild West C.O.W Boys of Moo Mesa [5 out of 6]

Educated guess of time spent playing videogames, seeing as I listed/finished pretty much everything I played:  552hrs on Switch - 67hrs on Animal Crossing, 53hrs on Minecraft and 15hrs on Stardew Valley (not me), + what I played after the stat tracking in December = 434.  164hrs on PS5.  121hrs on Xbox. 3hrs on a mobile phone.  Then maybe 70-80hrs on retro games (roughly 100 played, mostly less than an hour long).  So 797hrs.

Longest game completed: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - 65hrs
    Shortest game completed: The Terminator (MD) - 18 minutes
    Number of games listed I didn't finish: 1 (Orbital Bullet)

Bet new games of the year: Pistol Whip, Super Mario Bros Wonder, Walkabout Mini Golf (not reviewed), Gravity Circuit, The Excavation of Hob's Barrow.

Best games I caught up on from recent years: ElecHead, Sophstar, Immortality, Astalon: Tears of the Earth, Haiku the Robot.  

Number of retro belt scrolling beat 'em ups played: 44 
    The best ones, after Streets of Rage 2: Alien Vs Predator, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Guardians: Denjin Makai II.

Sexiest 3D graphics: Alan Wake 2, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
    Sexiest 2D graphics: Blasphemous 2, Planet of Lana, Mighty Gunvolt Luminous Avenger iX.

Best music: Robocop: Rogue City (look, the answer should be Planet of Lana or something but popping heads DAT THEME just works).  

Biggest disappointment: Gunbrella followed by Tiny Thor followed by Spidersaurs.  With added Real Talk of (whisper it) Tears of the Kingdom.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!