52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Loving these reviews, got a whole year of gradually more obscure arcade oddities ahead of us.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    47. The Punisher - Arcade (40 mins)

Competent effort that looks the business, plays well and adds occasional firearm sections.  I'm not familiar with the Punisher character, but given the evidence on display here I assume he only wastes perps with his sidearm if they draw on him first - which would explain why he only whips his piece out if enemies are packing (fnar), then pops the old boy away again to tackle unarmed foes mano a mano.  I'm pretty sure anyone who likes the genre would enjoy this one, especially the type of player who tends to gravitate toward any weaponry strewn across the floor in these things - it plays a strong bat/broom/assault rifle game.  The specials are worthwhile too, especially the grenade drop, so it avoids one of the pitfalls of the genre (where health draining specials are best avoided if you're looking to make your coins go further).  Not too long, not too annoying, deep enough to sustain interest and lovely to look at. Capcom were at the peak of their genre powers between 1993 and 1994 imo - you cant go wrong with either this, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs or Alien Vs Predator.  4 out of 6

tumblr_nxcptxEOVV1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

48. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder - Arcade (50 mins)

A big one.  This has remained arcade exclusive since launch (unless you count its inclusion on one of those tabletop arcade cabs riding the NES Mini bandwagon).  In order of release this is Golden Axe III in all but name - Sega rejigged the engine of the original GA port for a console exclusive first sequel (which arrived on the Mega Drive just after Christmas '91 in Japan), released this in arcades in 1992, then developed the (unfairly) derided GAIII as another 16-bit exclusive in 1993, presumably as porting this would've made the MD wheeze (it runs on the same board as Rad Mobile; so just as Sega were preparing to go nuclear with their arcade efforts).  This has been in coin-operated no-man's-land ever since.  It would've made a decent 32X game imo, but even if I had a gaming time machine I'd put it to better use so this opinion doesn't do anyone any good.  

None of the familiar characters return in playable form, which was disappointing at first.  Not that I would have known that the main chap wasn't Axe Battler unless I'd read it elsewhere; 'Stern' is basically a redrawn version of the original dude.
    Gillius is back admittedly, or to be more specific, on someone's back - if you select the gigantic heavy hitter everyone's favourite dwarf is directing the action from its shoulders.  Which is a bit like releasing a new version of Friends with a different cast but having Aubrey Plaza give a returning Jennifer Aniston a piggyback, but once you start playing it doesn't matter much.  After felling a couple of foes it's immediately apparent that this is very much Golden Axe at heart - a marginally refined version for sure, but not one that adds a bundle of extra moves to significantly spruce up the battle core - it's closer to a reskinned GA than a 'now get a load of this' style sequel (Streets of Rage 2, for example).  Existing tactics will work for the most part, evading is as important as attacking, and magic is still a bit limp (one character does have a healing magic though, which is a first for the series I believe, and clearly handy in mp).  Skeletons still wreck you given half a chance, progress is mapped out on a literal map between stages and there are still a few holes to fall down/knock people into.  Overall I thought this was very good, but you'd have to appreciate the simplicity Golden Axe offers otherwise your mileage will vary.   

The array of arcade emulators on my Super Console X3 Plus didn't seem to like this all that much, which meant I had to put up with weird shadow effects and collectible artifact oddities (everything seemed to appear in the foreground due to a lack of shadows on collectibles).  I muddled through, but I would like to play this at its proper fighting weight at some point.  Graphics are chunky and kinda stylish (leaning on some neat sprite scaling effects in places) but not mind blowing, and unfortunately the music isn't show stopping either.  Which is something I've started to notice with most of these classic era belt scrollers - maybe the emulation settings are at fault as the music is too low in the mix, but the tunes don't seem high on the list of priorities for either Capcom or Sega really; serviceable seems to be the ballpark everyone was aiming for.  It doesn't help that the iconic fireside dwarf (elves?) thieves beatdown tune sounds like it's being played on a recorder here.

Anyway, it's not quite the amazing forgotten gem I was hoping for, but it's probably my second favourite in a solid series (I'm not counting the PS2 game because I didn't even bother playing it).  Would play again. 4 out of 6.

L7RnBp.gif

49. Sengoku 3 - Arcade (1hr 36mins)

Supposedly one of the greats, if you listen to the loudest typers.  It looks great, sounds good and has a quality combo system, but there are far too many regular annoyances for this to be up there for me.  Certain recurring enemy types are particularly tedious - this game's equivalent of Knife Galsia being the worst culprit as he saunters around the screen armed with a samurai sword for extra-irritating knockdown reach.  Food and projectile pick-ups seem to start disappearing as soon as you kick a bin over, so getting stuck in a cycle of hits while positioning yourself to grab a hotdog usually means it's gone by the time you're up again, which is infuriating.  There's a cool-looking sword clash that happens when you attack in the same few frames as an opponent, but it didn't seem to serve any practical use and ends up in the annoyances column too.  Off-screen enemies will batter you while resisting hits themselves, which is a genre standard, and yet it's handled better elsewhere.  One more moan: the last boss eats about £5s worth of coins because it keeps flexing a special that's either tricky to dodge, or just unfair.  I just remembered a couple more gripes, bear with me: smaller frog enemies towards the end can fuck off, and the blonde male playable character is crap.  

The combo system really does give this a massive boost though.  Without it I'd be scratching my head over the love this receives, but the flow of your attacks elevates this from mundanity to genre relevance.  I can see why it's lauded to a certain degree, although it still falls a long way short of the best in class imo - there's more to these streets than fluid combat, y'know.  Most definitely worth playing (just look at that gif, you know you want to), it's just not the worldie internet word of mouth suggested with its capslock on.  3 out of 6

cbc8e1dd7f79d07a7d11cd93447b6cdb7987.gif

• nick_md wrote:
    Loving these reviews, got a whole year of gradually more obscure arcade oddities ahead of us.

The EShop is dead to me.
  • It's currently the highlight of my working day. Keep them coming Moot!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • They're my saved-on-open-page-to-read-on-tube-with-no-internet.
  • I'm reading along with envy, eyeing off AVP, pretending to be more into the hundreds of shithouse unplayed games in my steam back catalogue lol
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 50. SegaSonic the Hedgehog - Arcade (25mins)

Member the weird isometric Sonic arcade game with trackball controls from screenshots in magazines?  I do, and thanks to the wonders of modern tech it's playable with analogue sticks on my Super Console X3 Plus.  Well, I say playable, unfortunately it's not really, not that I let this stop me pushing through.  It's clearly impossible to accurately judge the merits of a trackball game without trackball controls, but if I had to lump on 'terrific' or 'atrocious' I'd bet on the latter, with a fair degree of confidence - pad controls give a dumbed down approximation of the possible joys of the arcade cab imo, and most signs point towards it being a bit of a stinker.  Arcade games had a reputation for skewing their difficulty to aid coin guzzling, an accusation that fits some titles better than others.  I'm not sure I've played one that demands to be fed as often as this though; it's an absolutely brutal set of obstacle courses that unfortunately doesn't strike me as all that much fun even when things are going well.  I've seen it described as 'Sonic Marble Madness' which sounds like a goodtime to me (although I'd probably call it Marble Zone Madness), but the comparison doesn't really fit in terms of gameplay.  Yes, there's supposed to be a trackball, and it's isometric, and Sonic can curl up into a ball [*realises the comparison is fair enough really, carries on with the sentence anyway*] but this is just a chase game at heart, with very little emphasis on measured control.  It's Marble Madness + Sonic with crap courses and an unresponsive jump button running at 300% speed, I guess.  

There are seven stages, and each one lasts between two and four minutes.  It's pleasant to look at, with a strong attract mode.  Once you get down to the nitty gritty it's a nasty little thing really though.  Also: Mighty the Armadillo and (looool) Ray the Squirrel?  Did Sega run a character creation competition on the Japanese equivalent of Bad Influence! and accidentally get the winners and losers mixed up?  Yes, I enjoyed playing as both in the Sonic Mania dlc, but even as Sonic & his broken animal biscuit chums go they're pretty dismal.  I'd have Mighty above Vector and Rouge on a tier list, but the character design still smacks of Dan's Crap Corner to me*. I doubt many 6yr olds bothered tracing Ray if he ever appeared in Sonic The Comic.  1 out of 6 with a pad, potentially rising to 2 out of 6 with OG controls.  All you'll really be doing for the whole game is running at full pelt while avoiding hazards you can't always rely on reactions to avoid, jumping at a precise point (and hoping the delay in the button press registering doesn't kill you) and occasionally slowing down before timing another sprint.  Toot toot!  I was never a fan of Sonic 3D (the game, rather than Sonic in three dimensions, as a small number of those are decent), but that was much better than this.

*Obscure Sega Power reference - back in the early 90s when stuff mattered, people used to send drawings into the magazines.  Usually of Game Gears with angry expressions firing uzis into the startled faces of Game Boys, or Kid Chameleon in a Jason mask taking a flamethrower to Cheese Bride, but sometimes younger children would send in doodles of their favourite characters (or Sanic characters they'd designed, like Christopher the Cheetah, or [you do yours, it turns out I cant be bothered]). If they were particularly slapdash - or maybe just drawn by 5yr olds desperately trying not to colour in outside the lines - they'd be unceremoniously plonked in the section of the art page known as 'Dan's Crap Corner'.  Which had a picture of Dan pointing and laughing at the drawings iirc.  My dad thought Dan was a prick, whereas I leapt to the defence of my then favourite mag and claimed it was all a bit of fun.  In hindsight Dan clearly was a a prick; I'd be raging if Tilly sent something into the Beano and they took the piss in print.

giphy.gif

This is what the actual game looks like.  It must be an absolutely miserable experience in multiplayer:

SegaSonic_the_Hedgehog.png

Nice sprite reflections tho.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I doubt many 6yr olds bothered tracing Ray if he ever appeared in Sonic The Comic.

Can confirm Ray never appeared in Sonic the Comic and Mighty the Armadillo only showed up in the context of the adaption of Knuckles' Chaotix for the 32X.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm reading along with envy, eyeing off AVP, pretending to be more into the hundreds of shithouse unplayed games in my steam back catalogue lol

AVP and Edward Randy must be played by any means necessary.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I doubt many 6yr olds bothered tracing Ray if he ever appeared in Sonic The Comic.
    Can confirm Ray never appeared in Sonic the Comic and Mighty the Armadillo only showed up in the context of the adaption of Knuckles' Chaotix for the 32X.

I knew I could count on you.
  • 51. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara - Arcade (90mins)

Oh so nearly an incredible game.  If it wasn't for the fact that the core combat loop is good rather than great this would be absolutely magnificent.  A sequel to Capcom's D&D Tower of Doom, this 1996 arcade release blends belt scrolling with ultra-lite role-playing elements, but handles the latter in a way that adds to rather than detracts from the core beat-them-up experience (think items, shops and short dialogue exchanges, not the the gradual moveset unlocks of the River City Ransom types).  There are six characters to choose from, all of which are handy in a pinch for various reasons, but some are better suited to certain battles than others.  The magician's ice magic will decimate the flaming balrog(?) boss, for example, whereas the heavy hitting dwarf should make short work of a griffin.  A gargoyle might be immune to weapon attacks so you need magic or special items to deal with it (either that or shout 'run away!' and boldly scarper to the next section).  You can switch characters when continuing, which doesn't seem to impact on your XP progression, but tbh I couldn't quite get my head around the leveling system - when using a continue the character level rarely matched the one displayed next to their energy bar once I selected them, and I used the dwarf maybe twice as much as the cleric, yet the cleric seemed to have beefier stats by the endgame.  Could be an emulation issue but it's probably just me being the mighty armadillo Dime bar man.  The systems aren't explained particularly well either way.  Between stages you get to spend the fruits of your dungeon plundering on items/weapons.  There's also a weird town section where the view switches to an extreme long shot and you guide a tiny version of your sprite around chatting to the usual suspects (innkeepers, blacksmiths, buxom barmaids, probably an old man next to a well). 

Complaints?  There's too much to pick up (coins galore can get tedious when the attack button doubles as the collect button), bosses err on the cheap side (especially the huge dragon near the end *spoilers*) and the item wheel is needlessly cumbersome.  To switch between magic or sub-weapons you have to scroll through your available options, which just doesn't work in the midst of even an entry level kerfuffle.  Guardian Heroes had a similar system for magic, but allowed you to bypass the thought bubble entirely by inputting the correct magic commands (half circle + button for a fireball, etc.), which isn't an option here.  Shame.   

It looks fantastic, sounds great (for a change!) and offers a ton of multiple routes and moral choices, which of course bump up its all important Mean Machines Lastability score.  I only played through once (because lastability matters not a jot to rom hoppers like myself), but all signs point to there being tons of areas/endings I missed.  Loosely speaking this shares a hell of a lot of its DNA with Guardian Heroes, albeit with traditional rather than multi-plane gameplay.  It doesn't quite have the panache of Treasure's gem - not many games ever have - but it would be very high on an 'if you liked this try these' list.  4.5 out of 6.  It's very good, all things considered.  I can't help feeling that there was a much better game within touching distance though, and it's hard to completely ignore that pang of disappointment.

dungeons-and-dragons-dnd.gif
  • 52. Double Dragon Neon - Xbox One (2hrs36mins)

I've given this a wide berth since launch, aside from trying it on Game Pass once and noping out after a screen or two, partly because of mixed reviews but mainly because I can't abide the visual style.  I could just about handle it in The Takeover, but only because that's on the mindless plodder end of the belt scrolling spectrum (which is pretty much my gaming comfort blanket zone - a lot of these games are perfect to switch off and unwind to).  I got a dose of FOMO when I read that this was leaving the sub service though, so I thought I'd better give it a proper go.  Never judge a game by its cover etc. Stylistically this really does look like arse, which is a shame because it clocks up some well earned style points elsewhere, notably the OTT soundtrack which contains frankly glorious 80s inspired faux cheeze pop songs.  Astonishingly the constant character quips don't really grate in the way I expected them to either, probably because they're so lame.  Or lame-tacular, to use an approximation of in-game vernacular.  It's all running on major Saturday morning cartoon energy, which might've actually worked if it wasn't for those pesky graphics.  Dire puns and over-used character catchphrases abound, yet somehow it successfully tickles with its infectiously weak wit.

Released in 2012 originally, this attempted to bring the genre up to date to an extent - what with timed dodges and a customisable inventory - but it was still derided in places for being resolutely old school.  Which isn't where I'd direct my ire, tbh - don't play random/rebooted scrolling beat 'em ups if you're looking for anything particularly deep or fresh.  The main problem I have with it is that it's just a bit too clunky & wonky for its own good, and really feels like a game designed from the ground up to be played with two (a criticism that can be levelled at most games in the genre, but boy did I feel it in places here).  Difficulty is all over the place, with a couple of early-ish stages putting up an annoying amount of resistance (continue and it's back to screen one of the level with 2 lives) followed by a back half that I pretty much waltzed through unscathed.  If you grind your chosen specials for a couple of stages, which the layout encourages you to do, everything seems to suddenly switch from brutal to pushover territory.

I had fun on the whole though.  I could reel off a list of annoyances but there's not much point as it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and I'm only going to give it a [6] (/10) anyway.  If you remember DD fondly, can still handle the genre and you plan to play through properly - i.e. as Billy and Jimmy, with someone on the same sofa - I'd say it's just about worth a look.

SickGranularKoala-size_restricted.gif
  • 53. Captain America and the Avengers - Arcade (28minutes)

Two button scrolling beat 'em up that adds spice with occasional (and surprisingly half decent) flying shmup sections.  On the ground there's a run move and each character has a rather limp range attack special, but for the most part this is a basic fodder mangler.  Bosses put up extra resistance of course, but nothing that a few extra 20p's can't handle. Given its age it looks quite nice, with the slightly unorthadox zoomed out view of the action resulting in smaller sprites than you tend to get in these things - arcade brawlers usually put extra emphasis on the 'look what we can do' stuff.  The belt scrolling sections tread water compared to the best of the competition in 1991, and certainly compared to what was about to happen to the genre (SOR2 is mere months away at this point, and light years ahead), but much like plenty of other non genre defining scrolling beat 'em ups of the era, enjoyable is enough because it lasts as long as an episode of Neighbours.  If it's possible to tread water with aplomb some of these simpler games ebb and flow nicely, without making waves.  Even with the shooting sections this is still a basic brawler, but it's definitely enjoyable, and enjoyable is often enough when you know what you're signing up for.  Once I settled into the groove I was in the CBD Horlicks zone anyway.  For me games don't always need to push envelopes, reinvent wheels or defy genre classification - it turns out I'm just as happy playing genuine old arcade games as I am playing modern indie attempts to bring back the magic.  Its the best stress relief genre for sure.

On the whole this is agreeably average.  I particularly like how awful some of the incidental characters are in anything comic book related - absolute Monkey Tennis stuff at times.  Obviously I know the Avengers ensemble from the films, but as an entry level Marvel fan it's hard not to laugh when they pluck lesser-known peeps from the wider universe, like 'Sub-mariner' and 'Wonderman', who pop up in supporting roles here (with sampled speech to thank them personally for dropping off an energy pick-up or whatever).  Actually Wonderman might've been in the Spider-Man game rather than this one.  Anyway, I loved the "THANK YOU, WASP!" stuff.  I don't know who Vision is either, but he's obviously kind of a big deal as he gets one of the playable slots.  Also has surely the least swole Juggernaut ever as a sub-boss, which amused me too. 3 out of 6; beans on toast gaming.  

PolitePositiveEsok-max-1mb.gif

54. Spider-Man: The Videogame - Arcade (35-40mins)

Passable scrolling beat 'em up interlaced with borderline awful flat plane 2D run & gun sections.  In theory it should be a good mix - each stage usually starts in close-up brawler mode, before the view niftily scales out after defeating a miniboss, then seamlessly zooms back in (sprite scaling!) as you approach the level guardian for more standard punching/jump kicking.  Unfortunately the platform shooter bits feel like an afterthought, despite how integral they are to the whole shebang (maybe a third of the game will be spent platforming).  They're not quite fully shit, but they never get close to being any good.  This approach just about worked in the SNES Batman Returns, but even then those sections could be easily identified as the worst bits in an otherwise great game.  It's a shame, because - although nothing special by any stretch of the imagination - the Spidey stuff adds just enough special sauce to the rest of the game to give the rudimentary combat a passing grade; fighting Venom, Kingpin and Dr. Doom instead of random fat guys in junk yards just gives it a +1.  I don't make the rules.  Gameplay-wise it's probably on par with the arcade Battletoads tbf, which I'll be moaning about when I can finally muster the enthusiasm to finish it.  That game doesn't let you play as Spiderman though.

So basically, it's okay, and if you're a Spiderfan who likes belt scrollers it's almost certainly worth a look, in spite of its shortcomings.  Spidey walks like an old man whose suit is still attached to the hanger.  Sub-Mariner (still funny) has the best 'still in shape!' videogame dadbod ever.  The Big Sprite approach works, and the visual style is appealing on the whole.  Some bosses will mess you up unless you cheese them (Green Goblin has an annoying flying phase, and Sandman always seems to get you after he shifts around the floor in sand form).  There's no crowd control with the throws and enemy weapons disappear as soon as they drop them, so there's not even any lead pipe to the chops catharsis.  You can knock enemies in the air but you can't seem to juggle them.  Oh, and your energy constantly drains, even just walking around, which is bullshit.  I'm not kidding - absolutely shameless 'more money chump' stuff.  

Reskin it as 'Payback Squad' or 'Lethal Retribution' and it's a 2, but as mentioned a couple of times you get to play as Spider-Man so it gets 3 out of 6 too.  As per usual I bet it's great fun in mp.  Both of these games have the BAMPF! and THWACK! style comic book hit noise pop-ups btw, which is a nice touch.

Edit: I checked the year of release after typing this and was surprised to see it's from early 1991, I thought it might have appeared a bit later than that.  Plus I didn't realise it was a Sega game (who knows how many times this license has changed hands over the years), so add a +2 to the score if you like, out of respect to the GOATs.

426venomborn.gif
  • "THANK YOU MOOT GEEZA"
  • 54. Storyteller - Switch (2.5hrs)

Panel based puzzle game where you have to create a story from various drag & drop options after being given a brief synopsis of the required tale. I polished it off over three sessions with Tilly, with occasional input from the wife. It's a great idea that feels like it never quite delivers on what its full potential might be, but maintains pleasantly agreeable status overall. The majority of the solutions require you to plot a specific chain of events, with only occasional leeway/scope for alternate versions of the story. Therein lies the rub really - for all the charm and appealing presentation it's not a terribly good puzzle game. It's perhaps too gentle for the most part, and when it isn't it occasionally feels like the solutions themselves are perplexing (I had a 'how did that work?' reaction at least once). Even though it's a great idea I thought the end product fell short of its initial promise, partly due to the limited number of options/icons perhaps, but in fairness mainly to do with the fact that a few puzzles just aren't particularly well designed or set out - the central conceit deserved a stronger array of brain teasers. It's got its fair share of reasonably good pages, it's just a shame that excellent onces are scarce. We had a good time with it anyway - Tilly was keen on reading out each story in full after we'd nailed a solution, which was great - and I'd be interested in a sequel or dlc somewhere down the line. The key elements are most definitely in place for an improved follow up, unfortunately I'd say it feels like a little bit of a missed opportunity in its current form. It was worth £12 for the admirable attempt at doing something a bit different though. [6]

dracula.gif?t=1679591237
  • Strangest belt scroller yet.
  • I'd never even heard of the term 'belt scroller' for scrolling beat 'em ups until about a year ago. I've been making up for it since though. I've probably typed it even more than 'ymmv' and rollsafe.gif this year.
  • Is a new one on me and already amongst my fave new terms.
  • Will be bookmarking this thread for when the Anbernic comes. Class work, Moots.
  • :) Honestly in the top 10 things I've ever bought, you're going to love it. Plus I grabbed a Super Console X3 for TV play, which was a bit frivolous as the Anbernics have an HDMI out. But that one came with pretty much all the roms ever so between the two I'm set for (my best) life.
  • I'm very excited but also cautious because I don't want full rom sets, I don't need twelve copies of Pojemon Sapphire, you know? Would prefer something more curated but can't be arsed doing the curating.

Anyway, just spotted a thread success in ElecHead now has a release on Xbox for £7.09. I've added it to my wishlist.
  • Ah yeah, the retroking approach. I don't do any weeding on rom sets - multiple different versions of Jpn only horse racing games don't bother me. The stuff that came pre-loaded on my Anbernic has occasional doubles and the odd file that just won't work, but it's infinitely less scattershot than the 114,000 games approach of the Super Console. God knows how many versions of the original Mortal Kombat I've got on that.

Loved ElecHead.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm very excited but also cautious because I don't want full rom sets, I don't need twelve copies of Pojemon Sapphire, you know? Would prefer something more curated but can't be arsed doing the curating.

Anyway, just spotted a thread success in ElecHead now has a release on Xbox for £7.09. I've added it to my wishlist.

These exist and are called 1g1r sets (stands for one game one rom) if you Google or look on archive.org you should find some.
  • Excellent. Should get myself up and running from there. Many thanks!
  • I'm very excited but also cautious because I don't want full rom sets, I don't need twelve copies of Pojemon Sapphire, you know? Would prefer something more curated but can't be arsed doing the curating.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ah yeah, the retroking approach.

Yep, I've been curating now for close to 10 years. I'm below 200 ROMS on the SNES and Mega Drive, maybe 300-400 for NES. They're my main 3.

For MS, Mega CD and 32X I have about 30, 15 and 3 ROMs respectively. If I get a recommendation or discover something on YouTube etc then I'll check it out as and when.

The PS mini is the first device I've had that can accurately emulate PS, and the Everdrive 64 provides a flawless N64 experience finally, so PS and N64 are now being worked on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is there an everdrive equivalent for the Saturn, or is the BIOS thing still a problem? I'm pretty sure I've still got a Saturn in the loft.
  • It appears so. Looks like something called Psuedo Saturn does the trick (which goes in the cart slot). Interesting.
  • Yeah, I've heard good things, but I think its still a work in progress.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Terraonion have a product called MODE that can be used in either the Saturn or Dreamcast and replaces the disc laser with a flashcart type thing.
  • 5. Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad (Neo Geo) - 50mins

Played the first entry of this last year. This is more of the same but instead of traditional sprites we have the pre-rendered style that was en vogue at he time. Unlike moot I don't mind this style, but have to admit that its a mixed bag here. The sprites look good but some of the backgrounds are very low res, and as a result it takes away from the overall presentation.

I do have to agree with moot on the prevalent slow down though, I mentioned it in my write up of the first game, but in this its on another level. It's almost as if you are playing the game in slow motion with random moments of speed up instead of the other way around. Unfortunately its to much to turn a blind eye to and it does let down an otherwise good shooter. 

Not as good as the first game then, but it's still fun and co-op always gets a bonus point from me.

6/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!