52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Yeah, had my eye on that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Where did you play the OG Strider? MD or Arcade?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • MD ages ago, retro club thread.  I've messed around with the arcade game on the Capcom Stadium Collection (I think) a couple of times, but I didn't get far.
  • Big tings for 1989 though tbf:

UnimportantHarshFulmar-size_restricted.gif
  • I think its reputation comes from the quality of the MD port in the early days of the console wars.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The arcade game was a stunner in its day. Compare it to virtually anything else of the time where you're pretty much going left to right and look at how it takes you up the side of buildings, down slopes, up in the sky and so on. Or the way every screen is a notable set piece event rather than just another wave of goons. And there's the graphics and the music and the speech.

It was always a clumsy fucker to play, which is probably what comes through more than anything these days, and certainly eclipsed by the likes of Contra 3 a few years later. But for a while there was little else like it.
  • Fair points.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 3. God of War: Ragnarok (PS5) - 2/4 (62 hrs)
    Bad pacing, bad story, bad area designs (mostly), and it took far too long to get properly going.  And fuck those tedious walking-talking sections and the gap squeezes and the slow climbing and shimying and general traversal.  Tedious as fuck.

Once it did get going, it was fantastic.  Once I had good upgrades and skills, combat was better and great by the end of the game - shame it was shit for half the game.  Speactular boss fights, which is something I associate with GoW, didn't arrive for quite some time but by the end, there were some great fights.

There are some great areas, but mostly bad - narrow corridor-type paths and very linear with occasional gated secret sections.  A far cry from the first game's hub area with Metroid-like design.  Still had that to an extent, but it was an optional area and the best part of the game - shame the whole or at least most of the game wasn't like that.

My OCD with trophies did get me the platinum, but only beacause I had most of the stuff from just playing the game so post-game cleanup didn't take too long.

Starts a [6], then a [5], followed by some [8] and [9] sections and areas, with some overall [5] bits/ideas/design scattered around, making the whole game on average a...
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 63. Comix Zone - Mega Drive (1hr)

I've tried to play this multiple times over the years, always tapping out either before the end of the first stage or not long after the start of the second.  I occasionally stumble across someone who loves it on the internet, either on YouTube or a blog or something, and it always seems to pique my interest again.  They all mention the dreaded acquired taste flavour, so being a Segachap I guess I'm duped into wanting to acquire the taste, even though the phrase usually just means 'naff' when applied to retro games.  Great idea, chunky presentation and fleshed out combat moveset aside, this this is most certainly more naff than not.  If you punch chests or doors, which you seemingly need to do, each blow chips away at your own health bar.  Yep, honestly.  I got to stage 4 on the Super Console X3 until I realised this was chipping away at my sanity too, took to the retro thread to declare I was done for good...and then for some reason booted it up on Switch while I loaded up a video walkthrough on the TV.  It turns out there are loads of hidden items you can pick up (three of which aren't even hidden - they're on the floor next to an NPC in the first panel of the first page). It also turns out that finding and using these items at precise points is more or less essential to progression, even though some can only be found by deploying your rat buddy in the correct place so it scratches a chunk of the page away to reveal [dynamite].  So it almost becomes a scrolling beat 'em up/Another World hybrid, given that you won't succeed if you don't play it precisely, but this wasn't a eureka moment by any means - it's still a crap game, even though I understand how it ticks at long last.

Highlights?  It looks very good for a MD game and is clearly a late gen effort even to the untrained eye.  Animation is great and there's plenty of variety to the stages, at least visually.  One of the enemies appears to shout "pack it in!" at you while doing a passable Lily Savage impression, which I enjoyed, but I assume I was mishearing the sample.  

Lowlights?  Everything else really.  It occasionally threatens to be enjoyable but never actually gets there.  Sound effects are decent but the music has that metallic clunk I didn't even like at the time.  The tunes are very Mega Drive, but that wasn't always a good thing.  It's also only just over half an hour long if you follow the optimal path, which just isn't good enough really, considering this would've cost £45-£50.  I'm done with it forever and there's no way I'd recommend it to even the most diehard Sega peeps.  Maybe this sort of shit is the reason I was fiending for polygons in 1995 - some of these late cycle 16-bit games were so focused on squeezing the last drops of juice out of their host consoles that the gameplay became an afterthought.  Anyone fancy Vectorman or Ballz in 2023?  Thought not*.  53%  According to Wikipedia a Comix Zone film tie-in was announced in 2022, so I'm sure that will be absolutely terrific.  

*Having said that I bet even less people fancy playing Hi-Octane or Virtual Hydlide these days.  Today's hot take: 'Let's push things forward' (apart from being a banger) usually equates to 'poor in hindsight' with videogames.  This format deserves a revisit - I wouldn't be completely against a Lizardcube update, for example - but as it stands the game based on the idea is crap.

1656315118194967.gif
  • 7. Streets of Rage II (MD) - 1hr

Another playthrough the this classic. I did it on here back in 2020, and my thoughts haven't changed.

9/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 64. Streets of Rage 2 - Mega Drive (55mins)

Probably my answer to the rather specific pub-quiz question 'the dev team behind which game is mostly likely to have made a pact with the devil to engender truly astonishing results?'.  First released in 1992, this was the first 16-meg MD cart to make its way to these shores (in Jan '93), and it was so far ahead of the competition it still strikes me as ridiculous even now.  Ignoring all its other towering achievements for a second and focusing on the graphics alone, the pure alchemic technical prowess is off the chart.  Like, literally off the chart - if I'd made a chart of what was or even might be possible for a SOR sequel on the system in 1992, the game that actually appeared would have hovered somewhere further up the page.  Streets of Rage looked grand for 1991, but a 'let's make this run nicely eh?' approach was clearly taken with its visuals to ensure the inclusion of a working simultaneous two player mode.  It most definitely strutted its stuff admirably, but comparatively speaking the sequel - which appeared less than 18mths later - made me go from HAPPY WITH MY LEAF FACE to SLACK JAWED WONDER GIF.  It didn't embiggen the sprite size and detail to the determent of performance either; it cranked everything up way past what anyone might've considered [11] to be at the time, and retained a slowdown-free multiplayer mode.  It really was an astonishing achievement.

Then you've got the crunching sound effects and outstanding Hall Of Fame soundtrack, the extended length, the wonderfully varied locations, the iconic bosses, and perhaps most importantly of all, the enhanced combat, which added all sorts of extras to each character's moveset.  Tenderising jump kicks, a charged quick knockdown, two energy draining specials apiece, one no health penalty sub-special and even a run for Skate.  And deeper still, we have tweaks like Max hitting backwards as well as forwards with swords and drainpipes, or Blaze's Brett Riverboat tier knife skills.  Just about the only thing missing - and probably one of only two complaints that I'd level at the entire game - is the lack up team-up moves for two players, which I presume only hit the cutting room floor due to time restraints (you can grab another player, but they both just sort of stand there blinking at the camera until the grabber automatically releases the grabee.  Or suplexes them).  The other complaint would be the complete lack of holes to throw people down, which is a common genre bugbear of mine.  Come on - lobbing people out of the lifts in SOR1 and SOR4 is about as good as the genre gets - it even beats enticing the AI to waddle to their doom in Golden Axe.

So basically, I think this is one of the very best games ever made.  I played it through with Retroking in one sitting yesterday, using the overlooked multiplayer options available on the Switch online sub packages (it might just be us impressed by the fact that all games in each of the available console libraries can be played over the internet, but we think it's neat as fuck - it's just a shame there aren't more titles on there).  So the TLDR is that Streets of Rage 4 is the best game in the series, imho, but 2 is the most impressive by a considerable distance and might well be the best in-house Sega developed title of all time.  98%

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Unfuckingtouchable in the genre for roughly 28 years.
  • 4. Tetris (5 minutes)
    Still perfect
    [10]
  • Weirdly my wife started playing Tetris Effect yesterday, after dabbling with Klax and Bust A Move for a bit on the SuperConsole X3+.  I'm pretty sure she was still tapping away in the early hours.
  • Get her on Tetris 99
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Too late now, she's hooked. It'll be Peggle 2 all over again until she's done with it. Is 99 the free online one?
  • Yeah, very good version to play against others.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 12.Resi 4 Remake - Run 2 - 12 Hours - 11,000,000/10 - Xbox Series X

Even better on Hardcore with so many toys to play with…onto the next run…

wzbJJt.gif
  • 65. Violent Storm - Arcade (40 mins)

Konami's last arcade belt scroller.  I wasn't sure what to expect from this one as it looked a bit flimsy in videos, but I'm glad I gave it a spin as it's quirkier than most and a lot more knockabout than the 'shortly after WWIII' set-up suggests.  It's got big sprites, motorcycle chains and mohawks, Vendetta style, but it's also less po-faced than most early 90s scrolling beat 'em ups as it leans into tongue in cheek genre parody here and there, with a sort of 'anything goes' approach to its madcap scuffles/enemy design/background animations.  You have to rescue Sheena, who may or may not be the girlfriend of one or all of the trio of playable characters (Wade, Boris and ummm, Tyler, I think), who take umbrage when she gets kidnapped by a Blanka lookalike while crossing a road.  For the record she doesn't appear to to be a punk rocker, but most of the baddies are.  I seem to be playing these games every day at the moment, but it's not every day you see one that has a stage accompanied by a rap about the action.  Or original cheesy poprawk songs with lyrics (although tbf I did see exactly that last week).

Feel My Power

Get Power, Check it out, Don't Stop, Come on, Come on, Come on, Get Down

I'm gonna get you eventually.
    Everybody wanna knock Geld-o down.
    I'll go straight to Sheena.
    And I'll be there, yes I will.

This world is very difficult
    but I've got nothing to lose, now.
    There's no defeat. You'd sooner die;
    challenge the beginning of the end.

'Till I rescue Sheena
    I'm never gonna stop.
    Believe my power.
    Now I spend my time fighting all around.

I'm a tough guy; do it man.
    You'd think you can beat us?
    We got the look! Oh so fine!
    Just wait, I'll get even with you.

What's not to love?  Elsewhere there are shameless MIDI keyboard surf rock 'homages' (one track pretty much is Surfin' Safari) and everything else just sounds agreeably beefy.  Konami's best scrolling beat 'em ups might not quite have the chops to compete with Capcom's, but they tend to sound better. 

In terms of gameplay it's simple stuff.  The back-attack works pretty well and it's only really the last couple of bosses that prove annoying, so it seems Konami were learning from their own mistakes.  The sprites are massive, probably too big for a three player brawler but it's an option apparently.  Visually it reminds me of the quirky and overlooked Way of the Passive Fist from 2018,

It does all the regular stuff reasonably well, and there's a playfulness missing from most similar games.  Not a worldie, but a decent swansong for one of real the movers and shakers of the genre. RIP Konami. [4 out of 6]

IbiEhm.gif

caf80d82143c9b1b4a9168d881d58ed2565c7fc2.gifv
  • Love how many words/syllables he manages to pack into those lines. Guys got talent, can see how he ended up in Bone Thugs n Harmony.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • 8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MD) - 2hrs 45mins

Been a long time since I've played through this. It gets off to a great start, of the games eleven Zones the first eight are genuinely some of my favourites of the entire series. Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, Hill Top and Mystic Cave are all very memorable, and far superior to everything in the first game, apart from Green Hill Zone of course.

Problem is the game falls off a cliff in the final quarter for me. Sky Chase Zone, Wing Fortress and Death Egg Zone are probably the three worse Zones in all the Mega Drive games.

The Special Zones are greatly improved from the first game. Once all the Emeralds are collected here you unlock Super Sonic, who isn't to dissimilar from Mario with the invincibility Star. Problem is he controls a bit unwieldy imo, I've never really clicked with it. Also it uses your Rings as a counter, once you hit zero you return to Blue Sonic, and we all know how vulnerable he is with no Rings. I just don't think the risk/reward works.

Where this entry really excels for me is the music, I think this has one of the greatest soundtracks of the era, there are some absolute belters on here, timeless stuff. Michael Jackson ain't got nothing on Masato Nakamura.

Overall, 3/Knuckles is the blue blurs peak,  but this is a close second despite not being quite as iconic as the original.

8/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'd agree with the last paragraph if not for Mania I reckon. 3+K>2>1 is my order for the MD classics though, with 2 being better than either 3 or K as standalone carts.
  • Even the music for the split screen levels was banging.
  • Sonic lol you guys are just going from bad to worse
  • I'd rather play 62 1hr games I like than 1 62hr game I don't...
  • Love you.  You really are the Foum Joke(r).
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Love you.  You really are the Foum Joke(r).

It's been that way since the maroon foum fam.
  • 66. Denjin Makai - Arcade (50mins)

A genuine surprise - what initially felt like passable lightweight craic slowly revealed itself to be a legit effort of actual merit.  Animation is limited compared to some of its peers, which I initially mistook for a slightly more budget approach, but the more I played the more the gameplay won me over - what it lacks in frames it makes up for with responsiveness, so you have to say it's a design choice that pays off.  This really does very little wrong, other than perhaps lasting a smidge longer than it should given the slightly limited enemy roster.  As a two player game (Tilly is now officially my partner in crime stomping for these things, which I'm loving) it's pushing for a spot in the lower A-tier.  It even has team-up abilities where throwing the other player instigates an aerial attack.  It's not gorgeous by a long shot, but it's not an eye sore either.  I hadn't even heard of this until I was flicking through Gone Straight again earlier in the week, and I'd have to say it's one of the nicest surprises I've had on my belt scroll journey so far.  There's a good feel to the characters, no damp squibs in the pack, plenty of moves, an assortment of useful specials and a relaxing groove to the screen clearance.  Very good.  [4.5 out of 6]

tumblr_ne4cguZ1RV1s7elebo1_500.gif

67. Guardians: Denjin Makai II - Arcade (40mins)

So imagine my surprise when we got stuck into the sequel straight afterwards and it turned out to be markedly superior in almost every way.  Aside from the disappointing omission of the team-up moves (which seems to be a theme for superior sequels) everything has been tweaked, refined or overhauled, and as a result it's pretty much up there with the best belt scrollers I've played recently/ever*.  If I'm honest, despite not having Aliens or Predators in it, it's probably even better than Alien Vs Predator.  For what it is - and anyone who's been reading these reviews probably knows what that is by now - it's absolutely brilliant, with or without adding the words 'for 1995'.  I don't even know who (the amazingly named) Winkysoft are, but colour me intrigued. This does so much right I was pretty much gobsmacked considering it's essentially a no-namer.  If you're a fan of the genre this has everything you need for co-op goodtimes, and I dare say it's legit solo too. Terrific stuff. [6 out of 6]

bee7aef10b61f0e1853de2e5e1ed0dfda9c6c750.gif

*SOR4 notwithstanding.
  • 9. Super Bomberman 3 (SNES) 4hrs 37mins

Good old Bomberman, there's not much between any of the SNES/PC Engine games for me. They're all amazing multiplayer games and have solid story modes/campaigns that can be played in co-op.

The main addition to this version was the inclusion of eggs that when collected hatch into kangaroo-like creatures called Louie. There are five variants of Louie, with each one having a specific special ability, and they also allow you an extra hit.

There are six worlds, the first five of which are very generous with checkpoints and passwords. The sixth world is only revealed after completing the first five, and consists of seven stages and the final boss. These all have to be completed without continuing. I think about a quarter of my playtime was spent here, it was a bastard.

Classic stuff.

8/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!