52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • 115.  Garlic - Switch (7hrs 15mins)

'A platformer spoofing your favourite genre classics', says the blurb.  It's so much more than that though - it's a retro flavoured 2D platformer that aims to rub shoulders with the very best in class and doesn't embarrass itself by falling too far short.  Yes, there's comedy and pastiche in there, but don't mistake this for a gimmicky copycat - it's an almost fully legit jumpmans that's up there, at times, with the Meat Boys and Celestes of this world in terms of taut, meticulously crafted obstacle courses.  Controls are fairly loose for a precision platformer, which sounds like a blot on its copybook but it generally works very well.  Along with the standard jump and directional fling moves, Garlic can also become a kind of haphazard wrecking ball and ricochet between surfaces.  I've seen this compared to pinball in reviews, but that implies slightly less control than you actually get - you can use it with calculated purpose, but only the truly elite players will rely on it regularly.  I'd imagine it's rife on speedruns as it feels like it might help gifted players crack the game wide open, but for mere mortals it lies somewhere between a manageable risk and and taking LSD near a rooftop in the 90s.  I loved the weight and inertia of the main character, but it also struck me as something that might feel very wrong to some players - good as it is, it's got a Marmite streak a mile wide.   

I like anything like that though - Bovril, Vegimite, Marmite - they're all very much my jam when it comes to toast toppings. Ergo I absolutely hammered this and finished it in two days.  It starts breezy enough, as these things often do, but by the end game the difficulty ramps up shamelessly.  I considered tapping out of the post-credits checkpointless stage, and probably would have if a cheeky look at YouTube hadn't revealed that I was only two screens away from the end end.  I got there eventually.  There's always a sense of satisfaction to successfully negotiating a tricky platform section, but unfortunately the same can't be said of the bosses.  They're not ruinous, but they're almost universally a bit shit, and despite the fact that I'm a boss man (which my local newsagents seem to be aware of) they had a mare with the mayors and I could have done without them completely.  In terms of the main course, it's tough, but the energy system gives scrub-tier players such as myself a certain amount of leeway to break the system.  The stages are filled with instadeath hazards (flames, spikes) and objects that essentially just break your shield for a few seconds (which removes the ability to dash during the recharge).  Taking a hit can be gamed slightly, which means that blootering through is a viable option for those with the lilyest of livers (hello).

Complaints: Occasionally the dash didn't behave quite as expected, which resulted in trading hits with enemies I expected to tag without clapback, often with a quizzical eyebrow raised and/or muttered swearing.  Some of attempts to mix things up backfire, particularly a late game stage where a bouncing guardian is sort of chasing you - I got through with more luck than judgement.  In another universe I'm probably still stuck there now.  There's also a bug in the Switch version which very nearly scuppered my chances of progression completely  - I'm amazed that playtesting didn't pick up on this, but the (spoiler alert) bubbles that pop up in one of the stages burst before you can use them if you've already died anywhere in the stage.  I triple checked YouTube after tearing my hair out for half an hour, and every full game video (from the admittedly not many available) shows the bubbles forming properly and floating upwards, rather than bursting pathetically just as they reach full size.  I forced it with a mixture of software closing and extreme risk taking with shortcuts, and thankfully that particular mechanic never resurfaced, but it's kinda fucked that the game's available with this kind of glitch slap bang in the middle of the only route to the credits.  Maybe this won't happen to everyone, but it happened to me and nearly killed the game completely.  Anyway, my sigh of relief was massive as I doubt I would have restarted the whole thing any time soon because I would have been sulking too hard to look at it.

The good vastly outweighs the bad on the whole though.  Most of the frustration is good frustration, and the bulk of the game is so satisfying any residual badwill from the weaker sections doesn't linger long.  It's maybe a little bit overly skewed towards speedrunning as rapid perfection occasionally feels like the path of least resistance for progression (the bosses especially need to be Leeroyed before they get a chance to be too annoying).  It must be nigh-on impossible to get that balance absolutely spot on with something like this though.  I would have preferred it if the scramble button (for steadier wallclimbing) was assigned to something other than the dash button, but I can't grumble too much as there's a good chance it can be remapped in the menus and I didn't bother looking.

I think it's my game of the (actual) year so far?  I may have given other new releases higher marks, I can't be expected to remember such trivialities, but even so this would place higher on my HOW MUCH DID I LOVE IT chart.  I really fucking loved this, warts and all, and I'm very pleased with myself for smashing through with such vulgar display of l33t skillage.  The full completion time's up the top there @Acemuzzy (good ending, post-game clocked - I left it on pause for ages at one point too innit).  Your move.  You might not love it as much as me but you have to try it.  I forgot to shoehorn my breath of fresh air garlic pun in so better late than never.  [8]

How can a game this good not have any gifs on Google??
  • 116. Steamworld Dig - Switch (3hrs 8mins, 9 deaths)

Inspired by some Vela/DavyK chat in another thread.  I remember this getting strong reviews on 3DS at release, then it slowly trickled out on everything else.  Eventually I either bought it on PSN or it was free on PS+, but the double whammy of 'Metroidvanian influences' and 'randomised worlds with emergent gameplay' put me off for years as both descriptors were firmly in the 'ehhhh no' zone for me at the time.  I finally played it on Vita in 2017ish, loved it to bits and reckon it provided an assist for what is now a deep love for 2D M'vania types.  Considering it's a genre I spent years actively avoiding, it's still A Bit Mad that Ori in the Blind Forest, Blasphemous and Hollow Knight all reside in my top ten (or thereabouts) ever.  This isn't really an MV type anyway - as you progress you unlock various abilities that help you go deeper, but there's always either a marker on your map telling you roughly where to go, or general 'go down' encouragement (which will then result in a glowing marker appearing as you inch closer to a destination anyway).

The randomisation element doesn't matter in the slightest (even though I've softened towards that sort of thing in my old age too), to the point where I never would have known about it unless I'd read it.  The game I played this week had a different layout to the one I played in 2017, as each new save file kicks out a new map based on the fundamental mainstays of the quest, but I played it so long ago it felt exactly the same.  It's neat, but it's also kinda irrelevant for people who don't replay games loads. 

In a nutshell it's a fleshed out Mr. Driller with a risk/reward element to resurfacing before death in order bank accrued currency.  If you die you have to pay 50% of your finances to reassemble at base camp, but make it to your corpse and you can collect whatever you dropped.  The more money you successfully deposit the more perks become available at the town shops (sturdier pickaxes, tougher armour etc.), and the whole thing is such a bitesize experience it never becomes a chore.  Dig 2 is great, but I think this still edges it for me as the gameplay loop is slightly more addictive.  The sequel is a very good Metroidvania (and leans far more heavily into that particular genre), but this is almost arcadelike at heart.  Look at the completion time up there - and it's probably only a 5hr game for first timers. It's aged impressively and it's still worth at least an [8] ten years after launch.

You can get stuck, which means you'll have to auto-destruct to get back to town.  The combat is weak/basic, but that's not really an issue.  I'd also say the first half is more fun that the back half, but not by much.  I'm just looking for complaints now really, and I haven't got many.  It's a lovely little game.

Heist>Dig>Dig2>Quest>Gunk.  I thought I'd play everything Steamworld related but then I saw the trailer to SW Build and that's a bridge too far even for me.  I played the deck building one but I'm not leaving my comfort zone for a steambot Sim City.

DevotedJovialEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif
  • 17. FF-16 - Too Many Hours - 7/10 - PS5

Finished this last night and don’t really know what to think. I liked the combat but there wasn’t a single time I felt in danger and never saw the game over screen. Did a few side quests until I realised they were all entirely hollow and rewarded you with very little, but maybe I didn’t do the right ones. The HUD is ugly and bits of it you can’t remove. Why after 2 hours do I need a constant reminder how to open the local map…for it to be there constantly after 50 hours drive me nuts. I quite liked the story until it just got far too much. Stunning in places but so very ugly in others. I actually fell asleep after the final, final…final battle as I was that tired of the same shite over and over again and woke up during the credits so will have to look up the end scenes. The boss fights would have been good if they’d have been half as long, but they just go on and on and on, it’s a wonder I finished it.

Even with all this I quite enjoyed it, but Christ it was full of crap.

And FF is still such a nonces dream in terms of character design.

7/10

6dINCi.gif
  • Not On Normal Communal Exercise.

I learnt that just this last week. From Wakefield prison apparently.
  • Not On Normal Communal Exercise.

I learnt that just this last week. From Wakefield prison apparently.

Tis true aswell. All our vulnerable’s and Sex Offenders walk counter clockwise, opposite to every other type. It’s weird, but true.
  • Ha! I forgot you’d be the guy to know this stuff. My Dad started at Wakefield. Only screw Bronson would deal with during that time apparently.
  • Ha! I forgot you’d be the guy to know this stuff. My Dad started at Wakefield. Only screw Bronson would deal with during that time apparently.

Loved Wakefield Prison. Fascinating place. What does your father do now? Bet he has some real stories. Got a lecturer that does a lot of work in our prison that worked closely with Bronson your dad will probably know, you’ll have to ask him if he knows a John Khastor? Bronson did some artwork for him when he said he was leaving!
  • My dad is long gone from there but Bronson did him a few paintings when he heard my dad was leaving. Did one of him which is all a bit mad really.
  • 117. The Pinball Wizard - Switch (1hr)

Adventure pinball game that rolls with a similar budget energy to Rollers of the Realm, albeit without the endless text. Or lengthy-ish adventure. The enjoyable main tower mode was done in about an hour, which is actually fine considering the £1.79 I paid for it.

There's not much to this really - if you fancy a pinball game where the ball is actually a wizard (and there's no direct control outside of timing the direction of abilities, so he's essentially still a ball with a pointy hat and a couple of tricks up his sleeves) then this might be a cheapo for you. Enemies must be killed to reveal keys to open the route to the next stage, and abilities such as a dash/fireballs and a smattering of passive perks rack up as you gain experience and level up. So the more you play the easier it gets really, especially as you can continue from whichever of the 21 small floors you've unlocked that you fancy.

There's even a boss at the very end which isn't bad. It could've done with a few more stages (three times as many wouldn't have hurt) and a couple of extra big beasties, but as it stands this is absolutely fine for what it is. There are other modes (daily challenge, endless dungeon) and leaderboards iirc, but I won't bother with any of them as I've already uninstalled it. This scratched an itch though, and the graphics are surprisingly quite nice for a game that seems to live at 75% off. Aside from the length it's pretty much what I expected when I bought it. [6]

Pinball-Wizard-540-GIF-1.gif
  • 121. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Master System (50mins)

Eagle eyed Muzzys might notice a jump in numbers here.  I finally got round to sorting out a tidy post with clickable links on page one and realised that I'd gone a bit weird with numbering along the way.  So I've actually completed 3 more games this year than I thought I had...

This is a weird one.  I loved the original MS port and even though I was boarding the MD train as the first sequel launched, I don't think my dislike of this stems from it being all 8-bit and comparatively feeble.  It's not all down to the hang glider either, which I never got the hang of despite playing it a few times at a friend's house, although I'll admit those bits didn't help.  On reappraisal, I think the main problem is that the whole thing is so disjointed.  It starts with an odd stage with minecarts in it, which doesn't flow at all like you'd expect from level one of a Sonic game.  There seems to have been more of a push to turn this into a platformer, rather than adhering to the whole platformerollercoaster thing, and it's not a great fit.  There's a place for pace breaking stages in Sonic (Jungle Zone in this game's predecessor, for example), but not when they make up the vast majority of the runtime.  Subsequent stages are similarly stop/start, and then weirdly when you reach level four ('Green Hills Zone', which surprised me by having a chiptune rendition of the TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR song as its theme even though Sonic CD wasn't released until the following year), it feels exactly like an opening Sonic stage should.  If I were a betting man I'd place my wager on 'someone meddled with the level order at a late stage of development'.

It's not a bad game, but it's not up to the standards set by the original Master System release.  The main sprite looks a little nicer here and on the whole the whole thing looks a little niftier, but the music isn't fit to lace the original's speedyboots.  There are chaos emeralds hidden in the stages again, which works pretty well.  There's an entire level I've only seen on YouTube gated behind finding all six.  Special stages have possibly been ditched completely - I didn't find one anyway, even after hitting the spinning sign holding 50+ rings.  

Back to the hang glider quickly: I sort of get how it works now, but I had Reddit to consult this time and I still don't think it behaves the way some people say it does ('duhhhhh, how can you not get the hang of the glider??' etc.)  Pressing forward to dip the nose at any point seems to result in a painful and irretrievable loss of momentum resulting in death, so as far as I can tell your only option is to stay roughly on a level while not losing altitude by occasionally pulling back.  The airborne rings are situated in positions that suggest it's supposed to work along the same lines as Mario's cape in SMW, bit it doesn't so TLDR: I dunno.  Maybe it works but it's never really worked for me and I still think those bits are shit.

There are too many (literal) spikes in this and it forgets it's a Sonic game half the time.  It's solid enough, but a good handful of other MS platformers blow it out the water, so solid isn't a great look 30 years on.  63%

tumblr_o1mf0ePvAt1u6jjy9o1_400.gif
  • Always had a soft spot for that one. Chaos is where I fell off the 8-Bit entries.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If 2 is the one with a level near the end that's a maze of interlocking pipes then I hate it.
  • 122. Sonic Chaos - Master System (35mins)

Master System version, because I'm not completely crazy.  I know the Game Gear has its fans, but it's literally a terrible fit for Sonic imo.  Who wants to play a Sonic game that's cropped like this?

sonic-chaos-sega-game-gear-review.PNG

It's like trying to play with binoculars on and it just won't do.  The MS version is actually reasonably impressive 8-bit Sonic.  It's not got the difficulty problems of no.2 for a start, and the levels are quite nicely designed with minimal leap-of-faith-ahaha-you-died stuff (provided you don't stray too close to the bottom layer of the map).  Other than the second boss it's offensively easy and very short, so it's not a vintage effort, but for a retro runthrough this wasn't half bad at all, which surprised me as I was under the impression the 8-bit entries dropped off a cliff after the first sequel.  I think I played one of the others a few years back but this didn't ring any bells so maybe it was Triple Trouble.  Anyway, other than the absolute pisstake this must have represented in terms of VFM it's a fun little escapade and ran just about well enough for me to give it the thumbs up.  Be warned, it does slow down a touch whenever you jump though :eyes:. Music is plinky bobbins for the most part, which is a shame.  Overall it's better than No.2 imo, even though it wouldn't have offered much more than an afternoon's entertainment really. 77%

11-11.gif
  • 123. The Quarry - PS5 (9hrs)

Interactive slasher romp from Supermassive Games of Until Dawn fame. I considered typing 'from masters of the genre Supermassive Games', but despite the fact that this sort of thing is very much their forte they're not consistently good at it, imo. I enjoy their efforts as I like what they offer, but they've all got acres of room for improvement. This one was their big push to pass their wares as a AAA-level title (AKA the genre that knows the most about FILMS). There was plenty of promotion/storefront space and it launched at the crazily high price of £69.99, but despite solid spells during its overlong 9hr runtime it falls well short of the wonky splendour of Until Dawn, which remains the king of this sort of thing. In effect, nothing much has really changed since that game. You still control a hormonal mass of young adults via a mixture of QTEs, 50/50 decisions and head-shakingly outmoded 3rd person wandering about bits, and they're (presumably) all at risk of spectacularly coming acropper if you mistime a jump or ducking under a branch during a chase sequence. 'Keep as many characters alive as you can' would probably be John Virgo's advice, but it's also fun to accidentally-on-purpose kill the annoying ones, so playstyles will vary. I got rid of one of mine after an hour or two, mostly because she was irritating but partly because her mouth was freaking me out. I guess this sort of thing is set up with replayability in mind, as some folks might like to see what would have happened if different decisions were made (or QTEs weren't fumbled), but for me these are always one-and-done experiences. Characters are always fairly one dimensional archetypes in Supermassive Games - which isn't really a complaint because that's how the films they mimic roll - but there's wasn't much desire on my part to see anyone in particular not die. Again, not a complaint - I'd be pretty peeved if I played one of these and managed to keep my whole crew alive for the helicopter extraction or whatever; failure is success at times.

I've still never played one of these in mp, but the 'each player has set characters' format sounds like an absolute riot and I'm looking forward to playing House of Ashes (5-6hrs) with a few pals over a couple of sessions. The problem here is that that runtime is just too long for an interactive movie. At 9-10hrs it drags as a single player game, but as a multiplayer one that just wouldn't work - I might have people round once every couple of months, but I doubt anyone would want to chip away at this over the course of a year. It'd be like asking people to pop round to watch one or two episodes of a series. These games should be shorter and punchier imo. I know the Dark Pictures Anthology is a series (that will eventually consist of eight games split into two seasons, according to te Wiki) but the releases are so far apart they're effectively standalone games. What I'd really love is a high quality compendium of horror games with, say, six separate stories in one release. A sort of V/H/S thing, with each interactive tale lasting around 2hrs. A lot more work for the devs ofc, but if they ever go full AAAA that's the direction to take, imo. They should also ditch the walking bits entirely, because they're crushingly dull and serve as a constant reminder that the whole Supermassive template is rooted in the past. The visual style of As Dusk Falls was a huge turn off for some, but the 'all story all the time' approach is the way forward for this sort of thing. Wandering around forest paths in 3rd person like a cheap Resident Evil knock-off while characters wobble their heads in the direction of pertinent items is a nope for me, which meant that the entire game was punctuated by tedium.

The breath holding mechanic doesn't work (hold X until it's safe to let go - wank), the ending felt like an anticlimax and I still can't work out why some characters
    Spoiler:

...and on that subject, the baddies aren't as good as the Windolene monsters from Until Dawn anyway. I liked the double jeopardy element to certain choices/outcomes (without ruining the story there's a layered element to decisions that pays off nicely in the 'who survived' summary at the end) and the between chapter segments are strong, as ever (although the tarot stuff seemed a bit pointless). As with anything like this there are good bits and crap bits, but overall it's a funtime that could have done with being at least a film length shorter. A harsh [6]. It's fine, but it's only the second best QTE/branching paths experience with Lance Henriksen in. One day someone's going to make an absolutely banging example of this sort of thing, but even though Until Dawn was very good I don't think Supermassive Games will be the studio to do it.

6itphn.gif
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    IIRC, isn’t Chaos one of those ones where the ROM is actually identical across the Master System and Game Gear versions?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • So it's just cropped because it only displays a smaller window? I watched a minute or two of a GG run on YouTube and it seemed a lot closer to the action than the version I played.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I might be talking bollocks actually as it seems 1, 2 and Chaos have differences across MS and GG.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    IIRC, isn’t Chaos one of those ones where the ROM is actually identical across the Master System and Game Gear versions?

It is, but this means the lower screen resolution of the GG means it is zoomed in like Moot said.

Examples of MS to GG conversations that had the effort put in to redraw everything for the lower resolution include the OG Sonic and Master of Darkness. As time went by, the ports got lazy unfortunately.

There's some decent YouTube videos out there that go into far more detail.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think Castle of Illusion was tweaked - that's one of the few GG games I played on the hardware. The buttons were remapped anyway. Pressing jump twice to bum bounce was WRONG.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If it’s the same ROM there must be code that flags which platform it’s running on as there are documented differences on each: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Chaos/Comparisons
  • 124. T2: The Arcade Game - Mega Drive (30mins)

A proper case of 'I've started so I'll finish', because the ROM that I've got on my Anbernic seems to be some sort of weird pre-release version that's more than a bit borked.  You can only play as player 2, and after maybe 10 mins I realised I was invulnerable.  Undeterred, I decided to push on to the credits anyway.  Unfortunately when I hit the Cyberdyne Systems stage no sprites appeared and there were far too many objects to destroy to throw a spanner in the works in terms of averting futurepast disaster.  Which meant it kicked me back to stage one instead of the chopper/van chase and steelworks stages that rounded off the full game.  I checked YouTube after throwing the towel in - the retail release tasked you with destroying 287 bits of equipment while fending off a SWAT team (by annihilating them, obviously).  I vaguely remember this being tied to a good and bad ending, but in this version you had to hit 999 items which just isn't possible as there are only 300ish in total.  Ergo I'm done with it, God knows where this particular ROM was sourced from.  Some of the stages had no music either (which is still banging when it kicked in btw) and the special weapons didn't work properly.  I'm not keen on rails shooters with a cooldown on the guns really - I much prefer a manual reload approach, but that may have come in with Virtua Cop (any retroheads know whether shooting outside the screen started with VC?). I suffered this at the time because a) terminators and b) I bought it, but it's not a great console game really - the original looked much better, had two massive uzis strapped to the front of it and blasted out sampled speech from beefy speakers, so that's clearly the best version to play (I couldn't get it to work otherwise I would have opted for that).  I was briefly tempted to try the SNES version afterwards but then I realised I couldn't be bothered.  Perhaps that's the definitive home port.

I didn't get to revisit the whole game then, but I saw enough to realise it's one best left in the past.  I suspect it's aged better than the C64 T2 game I used to play round my neighbour's house though.  I never had the Menacer as a kid but I borrowed it once and thought it was a horrible, tacky piece of shit.  This was probably the best reason to own one, although as usual with early 90s peripherals it was unsupported and overpriced (*stares menacingly at PSVR2*).  61% 

NB. The stage where you have to defend the truck from HK's is still fucking annoying. 

tumblr_pqlmv6mH3B1v6pzwto1_500.gif

tumblr_pqlohb7uEx1v6pzwto1_500.gif
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Mega CD Terminator game is meant to be good if you’ve never tried that.
  • It was one of the first things I tried when I got the emu devices as I never got the chance to play it at the time (it plays without music on the RG353M for some reason, which won't do as it's a Tommy Tallarico score, but seems to run fine on the SuperConsole). I've only done stage one so far though. It's definitely on the list.
  • Was it yourself recommending Huntdown to me? Down to £3.34 in the latest weekly Xbox discounts.
  • It's genuinely one of my favourite games ever and the only thing I can think of that I've played through three times since the 90s.  It's also a treat in couch co-op.
  • It's worth it anyway, but rude not to at that price.
  • Actually I've finished SOR4 three or four times.  Apart from that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!