52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Good crunchy fun, this.
  • Struggled a little with the tempo of it. There's times the amount of action means you have to really run and indeed gun, but then it has the cover stuff which rewards more patience. I love the look and feel of it though. Already a boss encounter that left a big grin on my face.

Had to bump down to easy cos I'm a baby, mind you.
  • Next time it’s on sale for Switch, I need a bat signal. Thanks in advance, Moot. And no, I can’t be bothered to put it on my watch list for sale notification. Can’t right now anyway as I’m thousands of miles away from my Switch.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Easy mode is fun, that's how I played it last time.

I'll keep an eye out Elf, bide your time and I reckon you could get that and Valfaris for about £6.
  • Huntdown was my GOtY when it came out. It's presented and plays so so well. I'd like to do a tougher play through but that last boss nearly broke me last time.

Enjoy Gav!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I must go back and finish that last boss
  • Eric wrote:
    Huntdown was my GOtY when it came out. It's presented and plays so so well. I'd like to do a tougher play through but that last boss nearly broke me last time. Enjoy Gav!

There's an arcade mode now (free update), which rejigs the layouts in places and adds a twist to the scoring (and some new v/o stuff).  It's not one for dipping in and out of though - iirc you have to do a chapter at a time, so I only dabbled briefly.
  • Cheers Moot that sounds worthy of a revisit. Does anyone know if it is only couch coop or is it online enabled. I've tried to convince a few mates to dip in with the price being so low.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • 125. Zombieland: Headshot Fever Reloaded - PSVR2 (4hrs)

VR lightgun shooter that keeps the gimmicks in check to an extent and mainly focuses on the good old fashioned shooting gallery approach. You carry a handgun with an inexhaustible supply of clips in your preferred hand, which is absolutely the main weapon, and a beefier back-up option with finite ammo on the opposite hip. Time can be slowed by performing a 'double-tap' kill on a Z - pop one in their cannister and it'll glow gold for a split second. Do their swede in with a second slug and everything slows other than the player for another split second, which also kocks in a combo counter for chained headshot kills. Any time spent in 'adrenaline zone' will be taken off your level time at the end of the stage, helping you move towards the coveted S rank. When you've cleared a room you move on to the next segment by looking at glowing 'go here' dots/door markers and pressing X to progress. This works fine, but feels a little unnecessary until you reach the final stage (which has branching paths, but was apparently only added in an update along the way). For a game with a strong emphasis on speedrunning for replayability it felt odd to insist on manual navigation at regular intervals, but it certainly wasn't ruinous. The final stage - the Zombie Invitational - has multiple routes and a boss at the end, and despite the fact that it was added for the reloaded rerelease (AFAIK) it's a quality little cherry on top of an already decent package. You have to pay to enter, and I managed to get through just before running out of loo-rolls (the in-game currency). There's also a gun range for practicing various specific things, but the machine gun speed range is bullshit as your bullets spread all over the place, which resulted in umpteen failed attempts followed by smashing it with a few seconds to spare because luck. I didn't bother with that mode afterwards; perhaps that was just a blip.

Each stage has a checklist of tasks to tick off (survive, complete within a par time, only use a specific weapon, shoot the parrots and so on) with subsequent stages gated behind a not-too-harsh achievement tally requirement. There's a B-side version of each main level too, with different layouts/checklists. If you're struggling you can assign certain perks (up to three at a time), and upgrade the various guns at your disposal. It all works, and although there's not a ton of content on offer it's pretty good value for <£20 (£13 for those with PS+ in the current sale, £16 without). The more I played the more the basics grew on me,

I'd read some good things on this, and most of the praise is spot on. If you're happy with a bitesize experience it's a banger. Pistol Whip is a better game, but this is a better lightgun shooter if you're no-scoping for new old school feels. Plus the Woody/Emma Stone impressions from the stand-in actors comfortably clears the admittedly low bar set for that sort of thing. [8]

f4c8da_491a81d420364887b2e2ae3ba22d3adb~mv2.gif
  • 126. Keio Flying Squadron - Mega CD (1hr)

I had a demo for the sequel on Saturn and regret not buying it for £20 when I had the chance (mainly because I would've liked to play it, but partly because it's probably worth a fair whack more these days).  I remember this from magazines - along with Wonderdog (and the driving bits of Batman Returns and three or four other games) it was touted as a sort of pretty good reason to own a Mega CD.  This is the first time I'd actually played it though, and yeah, it's decent.  I tried to put myself in the mindset of a cart only console gamer in 1993 (which didn't prove too tricky as that's what I was) and what with the animated intro, sampled speech and impressive cd quality music it's clear that elements of this would have been a fairly big deal.  The FMV snippets in NBA Jam used to impress me, so I know the anime stuff would've been my jam, I just had too much on my MD wishlist at the tiem to bother properly grafting for the CD add-on.  It also never quite seemed worthwhile to upgrade in terms of visuals - there's not much on display outside the aforementioned intro/audio stuff to suggest this wouldn't have run on a MD cart - it's nice looking, but it's no Ranger X.

The intro is weird anyway.  The plot is suitably bonkers, and that's fine, but it's a bit erm in places.  Along with her grandma and Spot the Dragon, Rami Nana-Hikari is in charge of keeping the 'secret treasure' safe (which looks like a large golden Yale key).  After it's stolen by Dr. Phon Eho (a racoon), Rami's granny knocks her about a bit as punishment.  After the final blow Rami flies face first in the dirt...is it weird to say provocatively for a cutesy cartoon character?  Her face is in the mud but there's no real reason for her arse to be sticking up in the way it's been drawn imo.  Perhaps the yeeshikes is exacerbated by the fact that she suddenly changes into a sort of Playboy bunny outfit...also for seemingly no valid reason.  Super gran then tells her that she won't feed her until the retrieves the key.  So Rami boots her sleeping dragon pup in the face to wake it up and embarks on her quest.  It's all very strange, and unexpectedly unpleasant in an overtly cutesy way.  

The actual shmupping is fairly by the numbers but agreeable enugh, with some decent bosses and wave patterns.  There are two types of weapon to pick up, each with something like four levels of power-up possibilities (lost upon death, natch).  You also get three types of sub-weapon and a defensive/offensive spread bomb special that wipes out most nearby projectiles.  It's not overlong, didn't seem to be disgustingly difficult (disclaimer: heavy save state spamming was used), looks kinda nifty and the action is accompanied by some nice tunes.  

Nowhere near a reason to buy a Mega CD (was there ever one, reeeeally?) but good fun and a worthwhile tick off my stupidly long retro gaming bucket list. 80%  

tumblr_pqi6r8KssV1xq94wqo1_540.gifv 

127. Zombie Revenge - Naomi (1hr)

I know there's a certain amount of nostalgia for this as it's a rare-ish DC title but it's a fucking terrible game really, at least in arcade form.  I'm glad they never got past the prototype stage for a 128-bit Streets of Rage if it was likely to end up anything like this.  The gunplay is okay, but the brawling (and running, and general movement) is pish.  I'm not sure how close the SuperConsoleX3+ gets to Naomi performance in general, but the whole thing looked like an unimpressive Dreamcast game to me, so perhaps it was spot on.  

I thought this was annoying, unfair and coin-hungry. I can't be bothered to give it much of a write-up really - just be thankful that 3D brawlers evolved into the likes of Bayonetta and belt scroll fans got 2D scrolling beat 'em ups back.  There's a heavy House of the Dead vibe to the cut-scenes (with some ridiculous character design/clothing choices), and it turns out the whole thing is a cross-over/spin-off anyway as the final stage is set in the actual house of the dead.  It couldn't redeem it though; I was close to eating my own face at that point.  Even the train level got a Partridge shrug from me, and I always like train levels.  

I expect I would have played this at the time (in two player), but having said that I didn't bother buying it despite the fact that I worked in Game when it was released and owned or played pretty much everything on the DC shelves at one point or another.  Even if I had played it I doubt I would have bothered to finish it unless the DC port allowed you to credit feed.  It's a poor man's Dynamite Deka 2 - which was hardly a classic in its day anyway - and I wish I'd booted up Cannon Spike instead.  B-tier DC it may be, but if this were released on the EShop as a nu retro game tomorrow it would get absolutely rinsed by anyone who didn't totally ignore it. 46%

451b6777a9bab0c321a5e2fdd275d49a4332fb4e.gif
  • Zombie Revenge was a game I made myself love after getting it on import. Like, I've spent this much so I'd better get my moneys worth. But you're right, it was extremely ropey.

Fun fact: the first boss I think has a line in broken Engrish that sounds like he's saying "tiiiiiime rapist" and a wee hand movement, something me and my friend did for years to each other.
  • 128. Venba - Xbox One S (75mins)

Delicate slice of life narrative game with occasional bouts of cooking.  Peek into the everyday lives of a young couple struggling to make ends meet after moving from India to Canada.  Think Florence, but instead of dealing with young love dissolving you'll be witnessing young love that sticks. There are occasional dialogue choices, but they're the sort that don't let you alter the unfolding tale.  The story spans three decades, with each chapter presenting a brief snapshot of time before hopping forwards a number of years.  

Other than the fact that the meals looked delicious I thought the cookery segments were perfunctory (in terms of interaction at any rate), and perhaps a little odd.  Working from a cookbook with obscured sections to prompt a bit of tinkering/trial and error seemed a bit silly when you've assumed control of someone who knows their way around a recipe/kitchen basics, especially when the dialogue has to keep up with any schoolboy errors and occasionally resets to a "no no no, that's not how it happened" safe spot.  These minigames are palatable enough though, and relatively infrequent/short, and I'd say everything else felt near enough spot on.  It's such a short game I don't really want to go into detail on any of it as everything would be best left to the player to enjoy organically.  Dialogue is good and there are a number of deft touches that don't go unnoticed (such as slightly blotchy textboxes whenever English is spoken).

It's all wrapped up in just over an hour, and Tilly was eager to play so I'm currently halfway through a second visit too.  Another one for the lovely game pile, I've got plenty of time for non-gamey games if they're this well done.  I don't think I've ever looked at food in a videogame and thought "I'd demolish that" (considering I've spent so much of my time this year staring at chicken that's been kicked out of dustbins that's probably a good thing), but the biryani in one of the mid-chapters in this looked absolutely amazing.  [8]

11f300c4c9e320698eac021c57d24aad102a7a25.gif
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I got a bit bored by it after a while. Too much needless clicking to advance story/dialogue when I wanted more cooking stuff.

That said, I will go back to it to finish off the story to see how it ends.
  • I was expecting a bit more in the way of meal preparation after the trailer. I played Unpacking with the 'cram items wherever you like' option ticked though, so I'm only really into these sort of things for the stories they tell (whereas the opposite is true for 95% of the games I play).
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Oh I was quite the opposite with Unpacking. Everything needed to go back into the right place, as colour-coded as possible!!

I have my kids with me at the moment so I'm spending more time on the computer. I downloaded and played through 'Cats Hidden In Italy' - a hidden feline game which tickled my fancy. It's only really got one level (with a time trial mode tacked on) but it tickled my fancy.

ss_1115717d7605a6165964a8f6d6ad87e3b76e2d02.1920x1080.jpg
  • Nice. I hope they make little noises when you click on them like in Hidden Folks.
  • 129. Shinobi Legions - Saturn (4hrs)

A big one from the bucket list.  DS ROM dumped me recently like a gent (although technically this is an .ISO, I think), and this has been one I've been itching to play since I let it slip by at the time.  It was a double whammy test session of sorts, as I was checking out a new old Shinobi game at the same time as experimenting with Saturn emulation on my Anbernic RG353M.  Unfortunately DS grabbed the US release, the wally, which retained the original music from the Japanese version, whereas the PAL release saw most of the tunes ripped out and replaced.  This sort of region specific tinkering has been known to backfire, but in this instance the UK sounds are miles better than the water-treading shoulder shrugginess of the Jpn score (at best three of the tunes are good in the version I played).

Listen to how SHINOBI this sounds (let it drop, heathens):

...and listen to how AI approximation SHNIBOI this one sounds:

Case rested.  So I had to play this with the weird not-really-cd-era-sounding soundtrack, which probably sanded down some of the Musashi stats, but it's essentially the same game so I got on with it.  Plus you don't actually play as Joe in this one anyway, which is a shame.  Instead, your character is some sort of Joe Shmoe called Sho.  Which I only came to terms with by pretending his surname was Musashi.

I remember this getting wildly high review scores in Diehard Gamefan, which was one of my many overly enthusiastic publications of choice as a teenager, but scraping scores in the low 80% range in UK mags.  Much as I love the series I struggle to stomach the digitised sprites approach in most games, which played a huge part in me not buying this when I had a second hand copy in my hand in 1996 (fun fact: I bought Clockwork Knight 2 instead, which had a digitised look to its characters.  I'm nothing if not consistently inconsistent I guess).  Looking back at it now, it looks bad compared to something as clean as Revenge of Shinobi or as 16-bit flexy as Shinobi III, but it doesn't look all the way horrible.  Just a bit nasty for the most part (especially larger sprites and bosses).  It took a while to get used to the sword centric combat, which requires you to cut, thrust and block far more than throw shurikens (the double jump ninja star spread is such a waste of reserves it probably wouldn't be worth doing for anyone not rolling with the 999 cheat on :eyes: ).  It's a bit clumsy and not quite as responsive as I would have liked, but over time - and after a decidedly inauspicious start - I gradually realised that it's not a bad game.  For anyone hungry for true retro ninja platforming, faux sloppy Joe is better than nothing fo' Sho.

Despite sharing some of its moveset with the Godly Revenge of Shinobi, the moment to moment gameplay is probably closer to no.III thanks to the wall jump and downward plunge (replacing the diagonal flying kick).  The running slash is particularly satisfying as fodder enemies are cleaved in two with a quick spurt of blood emitting from the space between their torso.  ThumbsUpBoy.gif. This game's equivalent of the POW pick-up is a bit overly dramatic as a giant samurai erupts onto the screen and then looms over the action whenever you strike an enemy, but fair play for going big.  Bombs are probably more annoying here than at any point in the series and there are some good old fashioned/bad old days difficulty spikes en route to the credits.  The minecart stage is horrific, for example, given that it offers precicely zero checkpoints despite being laboriously long and equally annoying.  As you can see from the bit next to the title up there, this took me around four hours to push through last night, which is quite a long time for a game that only lasts about 60-70mins without major snags.  I was still cussing it at about 11.45pm, which is pretty late for me on a school night.  The problem was caused by way the Anbernic handles save states when emulating disc based consoles.  It saves fine (most of the time), but actually loading a previous state has a tendency to kick the music and/or sound effects out, which seemed to have a knock-on effect of presenting the player with a blank screen of death upon finishing a stage.  Which meant that the only places I felt comfortable creating and falling back on saves were between stages, so I had to play a properly hard old school game 'properly' (or thereabouts - my method basically gave me infinite continues, which I doubt the OG game offered).  This isn't a criticism of the game obviously, merely futile fist shaking at my chosen method or dirty rotten piracy.  It's a toughie, exacerbated by the delay on the controls (which may have been an emulation issue tbf), and I can't deny a certain sense of satisfaction when the bigbad (spoiler: Sho's bro) finally fell.  I enjoy blootering through games with ridiculously liberal use of save states, but sometimes it's nice to tackle something roughly as intended too, just to see if I've still got game.  Which I clearly have innit.

The live action sequences are, of course, absolutely hilarious, but in fairness I probably rented worse from Ritz in the early 90s.  I remember one that looked amazing because it had burrowing ninjas in the trailer that burst out of the ground and did katana wielding somersaults before landing/fighting.  It turned out to be even worse than the one with the child that didn't have shoes.  By any metric the cut-scenes here are bad though, with some stupendously poor visual effects - such as purple laser squiggles - that look like they've been drawn on by a blindfolded Neil Buchanan.  The game goes to the usual places you might expect from the series - a moonlit Japanese town, waterfalls, mountains, a factory with conveyor belts and machines that move to and fro in tight tunnels - but only manages a rough approximation of the best of its predecessors in terms of quality.  I wasn't keen on the rejigged magic system either.  Only one type can be stored and used in true willy-nilly master style, the rest of the perks must be found tucked away in the levels.  There's more scope for amassing extra lives here on paper, as collecting ten orbs gives you an extra try, but on rice paper I would have torn through the supply in no time without my (well spaced) save state safety nets.

I'm half watching a speed run right now and it's not half bad really.  There weren't enough polygons per second per second to appease gamers who wanted tomorrow's games today in 1995, and the visual style of this (and numerous other early 2D 32-bit games trying to adopt a different approach so as not to be mistaken for lowly 16-bit efforts, such as Gex, Skeleton Warriors and Johnny Bazookatone) will go down in my history book as a misstep, but it turns out this is much better effort than I feared.  79%

Go on, treat yourself:

A8qd.gif
  • 129. Sega Rally Championship - Sega Saturn (15mins)

A test really, but they all go in because why not - my polygonal drivatar was on the podium at the end of the Lakeside track.  I assumed Saturn emulation on the Anbernic would be more miss than hit for 3D games, but this runs surprisingly well for a console that's notoriously difficult for retro devices to mimic.  I see a lot of grumbling about FPS for tricksy older 3D titles - 'it's only averaging 42fps' etc.  The original port ran at 30fps though (perhaps less for the PAL release?), so if the 42fps was stable (which admittedly it isn't, although doesn't fluctuate too wildly)  that would be an improvement rather than something to complain about.  Of course I'd rather these games ran at a silky locked Lurpack 60fps, but if some of the 'Saturn is a bastard to emulate' stuff comes from unhappiness with low framerates I think some people might be misremembering the past - early 32-bit games often had appalling framerates that would have wobbled all over one of those Digital Foundry graphs.  Rally probably isn't the best game to raise this with though, as it was always smooth anyway and the PAL port arrived at the time Sega started taking a bit more care with regional releases (it was almost full screen, and arrived hot on the heels of Virtua Fighter II and Virtua Cop in which is probably still the most awesome Christmas period in gaming ever).  TLDR: This ran better than I was expecting on a relatively cheap handheld.

This is probably the only racing game I can think of where 3+1 tracks genuinely felt enough as a home game.  I loved it, and in some ways the Saturn conversion is the most impressive Model 2 port of the lot (also jostling for top 5 positions in terms of technical back patting would be Virtua Fighter II, Virtua Cop II, Last Bronx, Virtual On and Tecmo's Dead or Alive).  Aside from anything else the cars handled superbly, and I happily lost hours to it.  This was during a time when I used to watch replays in games too, and the post-run lookback was snazzy AF.  It even had an unexpectedly playable split screen two player mode.  Madness.  

There's not much to say about this that hasn't been said, it's a cracking game, and unlike many titles from the 32-bit era has a timeless quality that means it's still a blast to play today.  It still looks clean & chunky and the music is still a magnificent match.  There's an arcade pub near-ish me and the stand-up Rally is the only game I'm guaranteed to play if I go there for a drink.  The appeal of most of the rest of the (non light gun) cabs has worn off slightly, but Rally still beckons me whenever I go.  Watching the lass who used to work there smash through the whole thing with nonchalant near-perfection was quite something.  As a contemporary game it would've been a 94% or something, so I see no reason to meddle with that today.  Up there with Sega's best ever games.

tumblr_olx9r2VGeU1siybfeo4_500.gif
  • Finally finished Aliens: Dark Descent. By no means a bad game it just felt like it tooo forever…
  • 130. Tiny Thor - Switch (9hrs 52mins)

Tiny Thor, massive chore

Abilitiy spoilers contained within.

I was looking forward to this one. DS described it as the most me looking game ever and he's not far wrong - all I needed was some reviews landing at 8 or above and I was ready for launch/lift-off. Nintendo Life weighed in with a mid-morning 8, so I stumped up £16.75 day one, despite that website having a dodgy track record with platformer reviews (9/10 for Demon Turf Neon Splash? JFC, give yourself an everlasting headwobble). I got the first 5 levels under my belt on my first evening session, and switched it off with a general feeling of 'so far so good'. The graphics are lusho and the music seemed decent, plus it wasn't long before I'd unlocked a double jump, which made the movement feel a little better. Over the course of the next few days the rot started to creep in though. Generally speaking, the more abilities you get (after the first hour or so), the worse it got. So it was more or less okay with just a hammer and a double jump, but by the time you can wall jump, dash and create platforms too the whole thing had shat almost the entirety of the bed imo, then bumshuffled the wet bits deep into the fabric.

My biggest complaint is that it's just not much fun once it gets difficult. When legit checkpoint platformers punish you, the AAAARRRGGGHHH treads a fine line between full-bore addictiveness and absolute bore anguish. I'm happy to willfully self-flagellate with the likes of Super Meat Boy, Celeste, the End is Nigh, Ori in the Blind Forest or (come at me bros) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, but if the task at hand is exacting then the controls have to back it up. When they don't, you just get hair pulling, neverending tedium that's only ever met with a sigh of relief at eventual success, rather than a trimphant Bastion-on-Falkor air punch. I think it's fair to describe the entire back half of Tiny Thor as tedious at best, and disgraceful at worst. The screen does a terrible job at keeping up with the main sprite, which should have been an early warning sign of carelessness really. How long has this been in development again? Since 2014? I'm not sure how many people worked on it, and I'm reluctant to dev shame because people dont seem to like that kind of talk, but if the team responsible consists of more than one person I reckon someone should have clamped down on the troops. More hammertime, less breaktime. It's OK though, because they put a cake recipe and a joke in the end credits, the zany scamps. Why did Thor borrow Odin's hammer? Because he wanted to ragnarok 'n roll, apparently.

Remember the rings in Sonic The Hedgehog, and how they'd ping out of your sprite if you got hit in the 16-bit versions, giving you a few seconds to collect at least one which provided you with a single layer of protection? Thor sort of has a similar system in play but instead of rings that scatter sensibly, picture that cheese rolling thing where locals chase a wheel of cheddar down a big hill, but instead of cheddar it's a joke shop jumping bean that's weighted in a way that makes its bouncing patterns completely unpredictable. It's an absolute nonsense - if you get your shield knocked out of you (which takes one hit from anything that doesn't kill you immediately, not that there's any consistency to what does and doesn't) the heart bumbles away like a slice of chaos theory. To make matters worse, I'm sure there's a hidden troll code in there that makes it deliberately bounce away from the player just as they're about to collect it. Honestly, with shit like this ingrained in the core mechanics it's almost impossible not to lose heart :eyes:

Once you get the aforementioned double jump/dash/wall jump abilities the game moves away from pure platforming and heads towards a sort of puzzle platform no-man's land. The reup on the double jump (terra firma) and dash (I think double jumping and grounding Thor reset this, but I could be misremembering) mean that a vast number of checkpoints contain almost no free-form possibilities whatsoever. You either execute these moves in the prescribed order or you fail. I had to look up a route solution on Youtube at one point. For a fucking platformer! Speed runs on this would be about as dry as it gets I reckon, and also infuriating due to the delay on the hammer throw/wall jump and general sometimeishness of the controls. These games should be judged on their tougher moments far more than their opening beats imo, ergo the whole thing is a rotten, amateurish affair. I love the videogame toolmaker's deep dive on the glorious stage design in Tropical freeze, which I occasionally post when that game cops some heat. I don't tend to approach what I play on such a deep level, but I reckon I could make an antithesis of sorts focusing on this game instead. Case in point: There's a bit with a moving platform where if you miss your jumping off point, which is easy to do as it immediately moves back along the tracks when it reaches the end, it proceeds to trundle you back through the level. So you have to sit there for roughly 2 minutes while it goes all the way back to the start, then all the way back again. Garbage. Sometimes you die from pulling off necessary moves too, like the stomp which occasionally inexplicably borks you whether you're carrying a bouncing heart or not. Moving hazards just roll on a loop for checkpoints too, which is a no-no for anything approaching masocore platforming imo. Schoolboy stuff - all moving parts should reset to a precise moment in these things, to at least suggest an element of finesse to the sections. To make matters even worse the checkpoint plinths themselves are often placed in awkwardly tucked away places, so you can't just launch off and get going (which again should be considered absolutely essential for a checkpoint player-killer like this). There are shops, but the trinkets available don't help as much as they should, and you have to beat 80% of the stages to even reach the third one.

On the plus side other than the input lag/slight delay on certain actions (which may be a design choice, but if so it's a shit one) it runs flawlessly and didn't crash once. Cards on the table, this defeated me at the penultimate hurdle. I had to turn a few assists on for the stage where a ghost is chasing you because a) it was fucking awful and b) I don't think I would have got through otherwise. It's the only level that offers zero hearts, iirc, so I actually got much further on my first go, given that I entered the level carrying a heart, than I did on the 20th go before throwing the towel in and effectively cheating. Again, bad design - progression shouldn't come down to leaving a stage and restocking, then repeating the process if you lose the shield, which would have been the only way I could've feasibly seen myself succeeding without a helping hand. Aside from one horrendous phase I thought the final boss was quite good on the whole. Horrifically difficult of course, but it did begin to click after about 30 minutes of demoralising failure and I eventually bested him fair and square. The bosses aren't terrible in this, but they're mostly either too hard, too easy, too annoying or go on for too long. On that final point, almost every level in this was unnecessarily lengthy. One of them took me 46 minutes to push through, so they couldn't even get the dangling carrot of short snappy stages right.

It's the gaming disappointment of the year for me, there are tons of better platformers out there on storefronts that most people haven't heard of, and they won't set you back a near-Chalice either. A Tiny [4], given that it's now one of my least favourite games ever. How would I improve it, you ask? I'd start by overhauling everything other than the splendid audiovisual design. Maybe 35% of this is fine, and I can't deny that fun threatened to break out on occasion, but for the most part this was a hugely frustrating monotonous slog, which basically proves that it sucks as it was effectively designed with players like me in mind (it's a 2D trial and error rote route learner pretending to be from 1994).

TinyThorKraken.gif?t=1688984555
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tremendous gif
  • It's probably the best bit of the game.
  • 18.Aliens: Dark Descent - Too Many Hours - 7/10 - Xbox Series X

So this was a good game, made so partly because of the license, knock at least a point off without it. Good little story within the expanded universe, has all the lines and sound effects you’d expect, and it all goes to shit over and over as you’d expect. Now I might have played it wrong as I wanted to keep all my marines alive and spent far too long planning everything meticulously…but it still pretty much always went to shit. Then it throws you a endgame countdown where you only have so many days to complete all the missions before nuclear holocaust which was a big turn off for me as it forced me to make decisions in didn’t necessarily want to…there’s a lot of negatives here it sounds like…and I’m not a big fan of an RTS…but I love the license so I stuck to it and finished it off. And really enjoyed it.

If you like the license and you’re a fan of strategy games then it should be right up your street. 7/10.

Quite buggy too so wait for a sale and it’ll be much more worth the money.

1oV3Rp.gif

19.Black Ops 2 - 6 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox 360 via Xbox Series X

Technically this was brilliant, the Series X emulation software did a great job of it as it can’t have looked anywhere near as good at release 11 years ago.

This was somehow the only CoD I hadn’t played let alone finished, no idea why as I love the campaigns. So picked it up in a sale and wasn’t disappointed. Just a good CoD campaign. Unfortunately even the usual absurd story was difficult to follow and all over the place but the missions were short and full of mental
    Codness.

Just good remove your brain action. 6/10.

wxVmro.gif
  • 131. Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy - Neo Geo CD (1hr)

Side scrolling 2D beat 'em up with two channels running through most of the game that the player(s) can hop between at will.  I'd only heard of this thanks to a Neo Geo round-up video I watched a few months ago, where it received some enthusiastic praise.  Whilst not outstanding I thought this was a wonderful way to spend an hour, and had plenty of fun credit feeding my way through with Tilly.  It's fairly basic, albeit with a twist, but it looks lovely, doesn't outstay its welcome, has a silly name and isn't as intent on demoralising scrubs as the likes of Metal Slug.  Exactly the sort of thing I hope to stumble across when spooling through overwhelming romlists. [4 out of 6]

r8ox8E.gif  

132. Fighting Force - PS1 (80mins)

Well I never.  I was looking forward to this when screenshots started to surface in magazines.  Production for this started on Saturn (I even had a video of an early build from somewhere) but much like Tomb Raider II the Sega version was scrapped as the Playstation started properly accelerating away from the competition at this stage of the console war skirmish.  At one point this was due to be a 32-bit Streets of Rage, fact fans, but Core had seen too much success with the Playstation version of Tomb Raider to limit themselves to exclusivity on a rapidly dying console.  As I was still strictly a Segaboy at the time the unceremonial binning of the Saturn version meant that the game was instantly dead to me and, given that I was also a little knobhead I was chuffed to bits by the middling/poor reviews it eventually received pretty much everywhere and never bothered playing it.  Scrolling beat 'em ups were old news, and transposing the genre to a polygonal playground did nothing to convince the magazines that games like this had any part to play in the future of interactive entertainment.  In case you haven't guessed, the 'well I never' at the start of this paragraph is there because I actually quite liked this.  It's favourably comparable to Zombie Revenge in a few ways, which surprised me.  They were both released within the space of two years (1997 and 1999, taking the arcade release of the latter) but the industry was in such an astonishingly fast rate of progression/evolution at the time they arrived light years apart really.  Which possibly means I found myself giving this more leeway in terms of appreciation.  It's even more simplistic than Zombie Revenge, but I'd been led to believe that the later game was decent and this was shit, whereas in reality the earlier game feels more impressive and playing through Revenge (also for the first time) recently felt a bit meh.  Neither is as good as a good old 2D belt scroller, but both can still be enjoyed by two players happy to rinse & repeat some basic brawling.  I'm sticking this in the 'unfairly derided' pile anyway.  

Technically I thought it was quite impressive for the time.  It wouldn't trouble a list of the best looking PS1 titles, yet it's pushing plenty of reasonably attractive polygons around, especially in co-op mode, at a smooth framerate and with nifty draw distance on occasion.  Music is good, as it always was with Core games from the era, and with multiple routes through the game it wasn't the VFM swindle you might assume either.  Being pleasantly surprised might've skewed my judgement here, but I didn't mind plodding through this solo and I reckon it would've been a blast to rent at the time.  It strikes me as one of those games that the gaming press dislikes that a lot of people who spent their free time playing games enjoy - working in EB/Game for couple of years made me appreciate the popular word-of-mouth everyman games a little more, rather than considering an Edge rating out of ten as the hallowed gospel truth (they gave this [6] btw, I checked - so they liked it more than most publications at the time).  

As 32-bit 3D scrolling beat 'em ups go it's not too far behind Die Hard Arcade.  Look, the playable character designs are crap and there are some dumb decisions like how long it takes to pick up anything heavy, plus the jump is practically useless, the delay on the grab is huge and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way not to trade blows with enemies if they decide to soak up your hits, but this was genuinely kinda fun to play through.  It also fits loosely into my narrative that simplistic 32-bit games (and beyond) tend to have aged better than ones that pushed things forward at release, ergo some of the stuff that was considered poor when contemporary is a much better fit to take a look at decades later.  74% 

tumblr_pqpajiT9rE1s3uawvo2_500.gif
  • I quite like the Fighting Force games to, thought they were about as good as they could have been for the hardware.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I love fighting force back in the day but have very little memory of it to be honest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!