52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think it's technically three for cup competitions.

So there’s the national team and then the other two?

There's a national team now??
  • Yes, for the Olympics.
  • My dad always says you can't have a truly great team without at least one Scotman in it.  It's one of his longest lasting football hottakes.
  • Yes, as the current Madrid sides proves.
  • 4. Vampire Survivors (SeX) - 5/4 (14 hrs)
    Oddly compulsive is the best way to describe this. I think I’ve had my fill after 14 hours or so. It’s greater than the sum of its parts for sure: looks shit, sounds shit, starts off so slooooow and dull and boring.
    But once you’ve put in a bit of time and unlocked some upgrades (like faster fucking walk speed!), runs can become mesmerising affairs as enemy counts rocket and your weapons wreak havoc on them, hundreds of little damage numbers flying around and sparks flying everywhere.
    Alas, I don’t have the patience to put even more time in to unlock more weapons and upgrades and all sorts. Kinda fun while it lasted, but also can be dull and boring too.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 11. Parodius Da! ~Shinwa kara Owarai e~ (SNES) - 3hrs 

The second Parodius game overall and the first on SNES, and there's really not much to add from the previous two write ups.

Only real thing of note is the revival option from the subsequent two games is not available here. It
    allows you to respawn from where you are, instead of returning to a checkpoint if you die.

For someone who is not very good a shoot 'em ups it's quite a big deal, and something that most games in the genre over the past 20 years have.

For that reason alone I'd say that makes this is the worst of the three on SNES, but to be honest it's not even worth docking a point over.

Great trilogy overall.

8/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 77. Riot City - Arcade (50mins)

1991 Sega scrolling beat 'em up that eschews genre progression in favour of an ultra simplistic two button approach. At a glance it looks like a game that should have a deeper array of combat possibilities, but in actuality you can only perform the absolute bare minimum of moves. If you're not the sort of belt scroll devotee who can handle things even simpler than the usual level of simple (no judgements here), you might want to give this a miss because 50mins is a long shift for simply walking, punching, jump kicking or throwing (or using the solitary obligatory health draining special). There aren't even any weapons to pick up, which is baffling - most of the bins and pot plants just seem to contain point boosts (pointless if you're credit spamming). Still, it's a solid enough game despite its lack of ambition, and there's enjoyment to be found in its chunky charms for a certain type of player - @retroking would have no beef with the limited repertoire, for example. Player 1 controls Paul, Player 2 controls Bobby, so there isn't even a proper character select option (other than presumably choosing which side of the cabinet to stand on).

Enemies aren't really varied enough for my liking. They all seem to act in roughly the same way, with two types amusingly telegraphing their slide/leaping attack. Half of them can pluck a jump kick out the air too, which is annoying - SOR2 perfected the balance for me (don't jump in on Donovan innit). There aren't any women on the streets of this city either, either in playable form or trying to stop the Krav Maga justice of the two playable (checks notes) undercover narcotics officers. Not even whip weilders in stilletos or scantily clad punks in fishnets or bondage gear. Bit sexist. Bosses basically mug you too, which is often the case in these games, but even so it's rare to see one where the damage of your special attack is nerfed so considerably against the big boys.

Overall it's fine. There are some bits that I know I would have loved in '91 (the Bruce Lee boss leaping between floors and emerging with NUNCHUCKS, for example), but it doesn't get a complete pass despite waving the Sega flag (developed by Westone of Wonderboy fame, fact fans). [3.5 out of 6] seems about right, all things considered. I had my fun.

tumblr_o9ioucKU251skasmxo1_540.gif
  • Have you played Growl/Runark?

It doesn't do anything special, but I always liked the theme of fighting 'evil poachers' and rescuing animals.
  • Not yet, it's on the list so I'll move it up.

Had one called B.RAP Boys lined up (supposedly far superior sequel to DJ Boy), but I can't seem to get the ROM to load on anything.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    76. Tetris Effect - Xbox One S  
    The tiny play window did annoy me, although after about two hours of play we realised you can zoom in with the left sick. 

My head just exploded.  I've played this a few times, whinging about the tiny window all the while.  Had absolutely no idea you could do this.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Haha. I was whinging so much while the wife played (with her laser corrected 'better than 20/20' vision) I Googled it because I couldn't believe how tiny it was. Just press up :)
  • Easy as that!  Can't believe it, and you can fix it so easily.  Thanks, Tetris Effect is my new go-to for when I've got a spare 10 minutes, or when the football's not very good.

In my defence, I also can't believe the default view is so small lol.  Surely only Tetsuya Mizuguchi and like Jeff Minter would prefer the tiny window.
  • 78. Ninja Baseball Bat Man - Arcade (40mins)

No, no that Bat Man.  No, I'm not making these up.  If I was making them up forthelols I'd be quite happy with the premise of this though - five sacred artifacts have been stolen from the baseball hall of fame, and four playable robotic ninja ballers are out to get them back, in full bonkers belt scroll style.  Zany doesn't always go a long way for me, but there are occasions where I'll allow it, and this brings so much bizzaro energy to the proceedings it gives the slightly-better-than-fine battling average a cheeky lift.  Fundamentally I've played plenty of games like it of course (it's still a standard scrolling beat 'em up at heart), but it's such a crazy experience it definitely stands out.  

The red character is the all-rounder, yellow hits hard, blue has Donatello level reach and green is useless (fast = shit here, don't pick him unless you want to enjoy the game less/pay more imaginary money to reach the credits). Bosses are huge and there's weird stuff going on all over the place. This was IREM's next foray into the genre after Undercover Cops apparently, which was a bit of a rubber stamp effort really, so I'm glad someone successfully pitched a curveball. From left field. If you've played the greats and you fancy something quite good that struts a little differently in terms of style this is worth a look. [4 out of 6]

d35fdb282ef725f932f640c7f67fbe57.gif

79. Growl - Arcade (35mins)

This started superbly and was coasting for a 5 for the first few stages, it just gets a little too annoying towards the end and the final boss was a kick in the teeth and a shit on the bed. Overall I had a great time - the fast-paced (almost turbo) action was noted and appreciated - it just suffers more than most from late game wobbles as the devs didn't seem too fussed with scaling the difficulty fairly. Much like Undercover Cops in that respect then, which also shot itself in the foot with its final stage after a strong start, although that was due to monotony more than coin greed. Still, the basics are great for a while here, and while it's not quite Baseball Batman levels of odd, the 'evil hunters' thing is a great hook and the big reveal is amusing. Along the way you'll rescue various caged or mistreated animals, and it's never not fun to fight alongside an elephant going ham. Plus the weapon pick-ups are rewarding (special mention for possibly the best whip in the genre) and the layouts/set-pieces are pretty neat (poachers getting hit by a steam train ftw).

It's a little lazy with its playable character designs as they've used two to make four really. The Indiana Jones 'homage'* is used twice with different colour palettes, as is the other sprite you can choose (who doesn't appear to be directly ripped off from elsewhere, which is a shame). They've all got slightly different stats though, tbf. I considered dropping to a 3.5 because the late game really is quite poor, but considering its age I'm happy with a [4 out of 6]. Tremendous fun for the first 20mins.

*The sampled speech even sounds exactly like a muffled Ford, so well done them.

tumblr_od0p1itA791r7sijxo1_500.gif
  • I suppose he looks a bit like Macho Man Randy Savage maybe.
  • Had that baseball bat man on my list for a while. Saw the name somewhere and thought I’d have to. I’m sure I heard about a sequel / spiritual successor in the works.
  • I've probably never played Growl beyond the first few levels, which sounds like a good idea then. It's the beginning that sticks in the mind most - from the way it gives you a rocket launcher to play with on the first screen to the bit where your character encounters a man whipping a lion and utters the immortal line: 'Hey, stop it.'
  • It turns out that
    Spoiler:

...and it's almost impossible to hit.
  • Of course. Should have seen that coming.
  • 80. Knuckle Bash - Arcade (30mins)

Picked this by name earlier this morning, it wasn't on my list but I fancied a randrom.  Turns out it's a Toaplan belt scroller from 1993 that tends to focus on smaller brawls and 1v1 fights rather than the usual mob handed ungentlemanly city gang pile on tactics.  I'm pretty sure the maximum amount of enemies I saw on screen throughout my playthrough was four.  The action takes place in smaller than the norm areas, almost arenas really (there's a literal arena at one point, plus locations as diverse as wrestling rings and hotel lobbies).  So a bit like Combatribes in that respect.  It's standard stuff but agreeable enough at the same time, although it does feel a bit off the pace for 1993.  The initial playable character roster consists of crew-cut blond man (basically a Lundgren), a heavy hitting/throwing wrestler and, unexpectedly, the king of rock & roll.  Or at least an impersonator.  Along the way you can beat up and instantly befriend a ninja (ofc) and a full kit wanker called Captian, according to the Wiki, who clearly enjoys a spot of grid iron.  An unusual bunch for sure, but a pretty standard game all told.  Fun for what it is though, and not a bad way to pass the time while waiting for a delayed Amersham train. [3 out of 6]

v2-c5828b2101b91502fe5cafdd91c4773d_b.gif
  • 13: Space Invaders Forever (Switch) 6/10

I got this for Space Invaders EXTREME, a game I got on PSP years ago on the strength of the great reviews and played once or twice.  I like the idea of a Pacman Championship mixup on Space Invaders, but actually playing it didn't interest me.

I saw this on the E Shop and thought I'd give it the respect it deserves and give it a proper run.  If anything I played it less.  I'm sure it's great just not for me.

14: Steel Assault (Switch) 7/10

I think the main reason so many Switch Games have mediocre graphics is because Steel Assault has taken all the graphics for itself.  The game itself never really clicked with me; it is very responsive and controls well, but I don't care for its grappling hook thingy gimmick at all, and it feels like you ought to have a proper gun with power ups rather than your short range weapon.   With that said supercharged 32 bit 2d graphics are so good I give it 7 out of 10 (one point for each minute of this games shockingly brief run time).

15: Tetris Effect (Switch) 10/10

You can press up on the left analogue stick to make the screen bigger.
  • Steel Assult is a magnificent looking game. Agree that its nothing spectacular gameplay-wise, but it's one of the most glorious indies I've ever played in terms of visuals.

Tetris: press up to win.
  • 81. Goat Simulator 3 - PS5 (14hrs 35mins)

I shouldn't be reviewing this yet really as Tilly had a video in the pipeline where she kept pausing the footage to click her fingers and instantly change scenes/reappear in different clothes while reviewing it.  It was brilliant (with shades of brilliaaaant - she was rollerskating at one point), but she accidentally deleted it right at the end and is reluctant to go through the motions again because it was ad libbed. It'll come, but right now she can't face a reshoot.  5 out of 5 or infinity minus one were the two scores I heard.

So for now, here's what I thought of our easter hols co-op playthrough.  We'd played a bit of Goat Sim on Game Pass a few years ago, which was fun to mess around with but we didn't bother doing anything we were supposed to.  This one seemed just as sandboxy but with a bit more of a game to get stuck into (or perhaps the format is identical and we ignored the missions in the last one in favour of dragging people to the top of a ferris wheel and butting them for a burton).  The more missions you complete the swankier your base of operations becomes.  The tasks required to unlock doors in your goat palace are bonkers, and I suppose reminiscent of older 3D GTA titles in the way they pop up on the map.  Cards on the table, I never played a 128-bit gen GTA other than being passed a pad with cheat codes on, but from memory their map sizes were comparable to this.  You probably didn't get to shrink a psychiatrist's house in Rockstar's efforts though.

There are so many possibilities to just have fun at any given moment that this is impossible not to recommend to anyone who plays games with their kids.  It's a 12, which was one of the things Tilly focused on in her vlog style review iirc, but even though you can go on a killing spree at the drop of a hat (dead human characters always respawn eventually) the townsfolk only go up to 'shit' on the swear tier (with an occasional 'what the frog?').  I thought it was fine for an 8yr old anyway but ymmv ofc.  Honestly, I reckon it'd be a blast in sp with no kids involved too.  The controls are a little slapdash and the wonk is a bit of a series mainstay, but they're also essential to the vibe in a way. Sometimes it's nice to just endlessly fly screaming into the stratosphere after boosting a car into a lamppost rather than getting the set square(?) out to dissect the physics. Havoc, not Havok.

I'm pretty sure there's no GS2 (skipping to 3 seems in keeping with the game's wackyhumour), so for split screen play either of the two will bring the lols.  Off the top of my head this is the most Tilly's laughed while playing a game, and I thought she was going to wet herself at one point during Art Sqool.  Top marks for the way you can always warp to the other player's location in co-op, and the fact that you're both free to do whatever the hell you want until you decide to buddy up.  Much bargain for £14, manythanks again to @unlikely. [8]

Goat_Simulator_3_-_Gameplay_Reveal_Trailer__PS5_Games_AdobeExpress.gif
  • Really glad you both enjoyed it, and for the record E did actually wet herself at one point. And yeah, the very occasional "shit" is a bit of a shame but otherwise there's nothing in this that I regret E seeing or hearing.  Quite the contrary.
  • Goodtime gaming.

82. Final Fight 2 - SNES (70mins)

The streets aren't safe again, only this time there's far more globetrotting going on as each stage is set in a different country and none take place in Metro City.  It's also a SNES only excursion this time.  I played Final Fight 3 last year - another console exclusive - and I thought it was great apart from the slowdown, but this one seems to have been designed with the limits of its host console more firmly in mind.  Although it's a simpler affair on the whole it earns extra kudos for not overreaching with its visuals.  From what I played it's perfectly smooth from start to finish, which gets a thumbs up from me.  Afaik it's playable in co-op too, which means it bangs.  It's basically a Final Fight rehash with simpler graphics, less iconic locales and a mostly new set of characters, but it's also miles better than I'd been led to believe.  I know retroking liked it, but the feedback seems to be mixed online, and I distinctly remember a lack of fuss/spot of indifference at the time.  I'm not sure why though; it's a strong effort for a 16-bit only sequel.  Okay, it's no SOR2, but remove that from the equation and it's probably just about the best console belt scroller available in 1993 not starring Batman.
    Mileage will vary on that depending on how much of a soft spot you've got for SOR1 I reckon.  

In possibly the lamest excuse for the non-reappearance of a major character in any game ever, Guy doesn't actually get involved in rescuing his girlfriend from the Mad Gear gang this time - or his potential father in law - because he's washing his hair 'in training'.  Presumably up a mountain, maybe in a waterfall.  So his gf's sister (Maki) contacts Haggar to get at least part of the gang back together (it's not explained what Cody's up to but there's a sword collecting martial arty chap living in Haggar's house who owes him a favour and agrees to help because he likes 'kick'n butt').  I'm not saying Guy's not busy, but there's a time and a place to staunchly stick to your Out of Office guns, surely.  Never thought my guy would be that guy, smdh.  Luckily Maki's main hobby is 'street fighter', according to her blurb, but he'll never get those sister-in-law brownie points back, surely.  Anyway, Toni & Guy's excuse is never really questioned, even in the ending sequence.  Actually, is Cody in prison maybe?  I seem to remember something about a ball and chain in Streetfighter Alpha 3. Maybe he got married to Jessica??

I had a good time with this.  It's simple, but simple scrolling beat 'em ups are rarely more fun than FF, and this just repeats the template really.  The ninja guy's throw is great for crowd control and Haggar still owns.  I didn't get to try Maki because I only used one continue thanks to save states.  Fire throwing enemies are annoying, as are the knife weilders who leap across the screen.  Music could be better imo (or a better fit at any rate), but this is a v.good home only effort.  [4.5 out of 6]

final-fight-haggar.gif
  • 15. Metroid Prime Remake - 12 Hours - 7/10 - Nintendo Switch

Gotta admit…not a big fan…I originally gave up on this on the Cube as it gave me a headache…no such thing happened this time, but I finished it because I’m stubborn more than because I was really enjoying it. Yes it’s a thing of beauty, the Nintendo effect is in full force with some wonderful touches and character, but for want of better words, fuck the constant backtracking. The crappy combat (though I know it’s not the priority and it’s a million years old). Then when you think it might be over having to find all the artifacts and thinking it’s over. To have a boss fight, to think it’s over, but find another area, then another boss fight…then ANOTHER boss fight. I’m sure I’ll play the second when it inevitably appears as the quality is undeniable…but I hope it’s a little less dull.

JmSmNi.gif
  • Lol
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The final quarter always took the shine off it for me too. The backtracking, the pirates, constant beam and visor switching, and a couple of really annoying bosses. Up to that point it's fantastic, but I've not been tempted back because of that.
  • I'm not happy that the artifact hunt isn't optional.
  • 83. Pistol Whip - PSVR2 (5hrs)

Not really sure when to review this, but now seems like as good a time as any - it's not likely to suddenly reveal a massively different side post-credits, and I've finished both campaigns/played through all arcade stages on easy or normal.  Despite some misgivings over the auto aim (at present the aim-assist can only be toggled between 'hit the barn door while aiming at the roof' and 'off'), it's just about the most fun I've had with a videogame ever.  I mean that sincerely too, so without hyperbole: this is one of the best games I've ever played.  A light gun genre revival was top of my wishlist for the whole virtual reality movement, and this supersedes the best of the classics.  Perhaps this bit is a knee-jerk reaction, but I'm feeling it so I'm happy to go Full Wally on this hill: this is actually better than Virtua Cop.  The VR element, with added head tracking and dodging, genuinely resuscitates a genre that's been mostly dead for years, gives it a shot in the arm (and some Nuke in the neck) and sends it swaggering into a sci fi rails shooting gallery. Superhot aside this is probably the best example of bullet time since the 6-8wk period in 1999 where The Matrix was cool. It's a shooting gallery at heart, but music is its pulse - for high scores you need to shoot on the beat, which is why the generous aim-assist is understandable, but if you'd prefer to play it as a tin can alley type you can add modifiers to remove the rhythm element (or mute the music). The Deadeye option does away with aim assists completely, but it's a huge step up in difficulty and I can't decide if it's accurate enough for Joe average to genuinely git gud or if your time would be better spent playing with default aim assist + higher difficulties. I've enjoyed Deadeye mode with a big head modifier on anyway, so I've dabbled, but I find myself missing a lot of shots aimed at normal noggin bad guys, even when they're fairly close. Tip: if you do experiment with aim assist off, start with the easy mode even if you're au fait with the game.

After Astrobot: Rescue Mission this is the best example of VR going places that leaves novelty behind, imo. It could be a coincidence, but the two headset GOATs for me are updates of genres I have a particular fondness for that time forgot (funnelled into-the-screen 3D platformers and plastic peripheral gun 'em ups). Anyone with an interest in light gun (and to a lesser extent rhythm games) who has access to any sort of VR kit capable of running it should run through walls to play this. An absolutely glorious swaggering delight good enough to justify the extravagance of (going halvsies on) a £500 headset. Up there with Returnal for best PS5 game and easily my GotY so far. [9]

If a patch appears that adds incremental aim-assists I'd consider giving this the full-blown aids [10]. I'd be amazed if this isn't a platinum tier Gavgame either way. @Retroking1981, I'm not sure how good the PSVR1 version of this is but it should definitely be on your radar.

Gif_02.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!