52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • 55. Battletoads - Arcade (65 mins)

Insipid belt scroller that somehow managed to offer almost zero enjoyment throughout it's fairly brief runtime.  I'd heard that this was a secret banger, but it's easily one of the worst scrolling beat 'em ups I've played - there just doesn't seem to be any excuse for a game released in 1994* to be so basic, uninspired and mechanically slapdash.  Did they only look at SNES games no-one ever rented twice from Ritz as inspiration?  I don't think I've ever played an arcade game that felt and looked so much like a painfully average console game.  The main stages are dull and the flat plane 2D sections are a complete joke - level 2 is on par with some legendary stinkers of the era.  The whole thing is baffling.  Why does it look so rough?  I thought Rare were visual maestros.  There's huge Boogerman energy to it all, and I assume the dev team just ran around firing fart spray into the air and asking each other if they lickadickaday rather than knuckling down to the task of, y'know, making a half decent game.  If the specific early 90s post Kombat-gate 'blood is cool!' obsession still floats your boat, and you think that enemies crapping themselves or being sick sounds like hilarious funtimes you might get a kick out of the vibe, but this sort of thing just strikes me as embarrassing in retrospect.  Puerile shite.

I actually quite liked the Xbox Battletoads effort from 2020, which probably had more in common with this than the original NES game.  I'm hardly a 'toads aficionado but some of the hate for that seemed a bit strong.  At least now I know that the rubbish platforming sections were in keeping with what came before.  

[1 out of 6], and I don't think I'm being harsh.  Here's a new one for the belt scroller reviews: it wouldn't be more enjoyable in mp, because you can't polish a turd (although wouldn't that make a hysterically funny minigame?! Each player could be responsible for a certain section of surface area and would mash their buttons Track & Field style to buff the *FART SPRAYS OWN FACE*)  Why do punches have such a short range?  Why is there no special?  Why did someone think a context sensitive spin attack was a good idea? (make that the special ffs!)  Why do the Toad arms and legs sometimes form giant anvils sometimes not?  Why am I still wasting time writing about this?  Don't even bother playing it out of curiosity, it's a terrible game.

*Honestly, I was primed to rage about it based on the fact that I thought it came out in '93 while playing, but I checked as I sat down to write this and the Wiki says '94.  JFC.  No wonder the series took a 26yr hiatus afterwards.

SmartEasygoingHammerkop-max-1mb.gif
  • 56. Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter - Mega Drive (45mins)

Some sort of mech manga MD exclusive belt scroller from 1993 that passed me by.  Initially I was genuinely impressed - it plays pretty well, looks good and the way it switches to an up close & personal (albeit clunky) Vs fighter for the boss battles showed a fair amount of promise.  Unfortunately the fun dries up little by little as the game progresses. Not enough to ruin it - it's still quite good on the whole - but the 1v1 sections don't quite have enough quality to avoid being annoying once the enemies start putting up any real resistance, and the brawly bits demand ever so slightly too much of you by the end. It's all just a bit better when it's breezy.

It's no Batman Returns, but as single player only 16-bit scrolling beat 'em ups go this still bests most that spring to mind.  The combat bobs around Alien Storm levels, ergo basic, but at the same time it's responsive and fair.  Sprites are small for the main stages before making way for the showpiece boss battles, a visual shift that works well, and everything looks pretty stylish in that inimitable Mega Drive way.  It's fluid, has parallax scrolling for days and there's plenty of intricate pixel art/spritework. There are even a couple of serviceable forced scrolling sections in there that actually work.  Overall a pleasant surprise that ran out of puff after a few levels but still finished with its head held held relatively high.  3.5 out of 6.  I'm quite happy to have found a MD game I hadn't played that I like, I thought I'd checked out most of the A-C tier efforts over the years.  At the time this might've bagged a well-earned 81% I reckon; I would've been chuffed if I'd borrowed it anyway. It suffers from useless special syndrome though - it barely does any damage and takes off 1/5 of your own life bar.

tumblr_pxzyw1Qng81roqda3o1_500.gif

4a62bf927a1041461421836b7f79f6b5b66366aa.gif
  • 57. Shadow Force - Arcade (45mins)

Jumped straight on this after retroking sent me a video that made it sound great.  I played through and ended up equally impressed and pissed off.  I'd more or less settled on a probable 2.5 out of 6 review, where I was set to praise the abundance of neat ideas but moan my arse off about the cheap as fuck gameplay.  

However!  I then watched parts of a full runthrough on YouTube because the better aspects of the design still had me intrigued, and didn't seem anywhere near as cuntishly cheeky as the game I'd just played.  Enemies weren't constantly trading hits with the player character and bosses didn't seem to cost £4 each. So I tried another ROM on the Super Console X3 Plus (weirdly presented in widescreen this time), and I'm pretty sure everything felt a little more fair than it had during my original playthrough.  So it turns out, I reckon, that the version I played had the dip switches set to dastardly coin guzzle mode.  Which leaves me in an awkward predicament, because I'd already made my mind up about it but it turns out I was probably wrong about most of the shortcomings I would've fixated on.  I don't fancy playing through it again to make sure though, because other scrolling beat 'em ups are calling...

So what's it like then?  It has a weird targeting system, almost Z-targeting on a 2D plane, where your character zeroes in on an opponent, which means you'll continue to face them while walking away from them.  This also allows you to block attacks, vs fighter style, but I never clicked with it because the last thing I want in a belt scroller is for the computer to tell me which enemy I should be focusing on at any given time.  So regardless of the difficulty issue this is a black mark for me.  In the win column, the four button attacks plus high/low inputs works well, and the (admittedly gimmicky) possession system is actually useful in places.  You can pretty much assimilate any non-boss enemy character and control their sprite like a Kirby beat 'em up, which is neato.  It looks great in places (the waterfall stage) and okay in others (some of the boss animation is a bit stiff). 

It's either an impressive effort that fluffs its lines due to being far too annoying, or an impressive effort that deserved far more genre recognition and a big thumbs up from me.  So errrrrrm, it's somewhere between a 2.5 and a 4.75 out of 6, but I'm not sure which despite the fact that I completed it half an hour ago.  If nothing else it's a legit curio.  

%EC%8A%A4%ED%81%AC%EB%A6%B0_%EC%BA%A1%EC%B2%98_20181028_113340.mkv_20181028_133238.gif?type=w800
  • 58. Tchia - PS5 (7-8hrs)

Impressive indie open world effort that entertained on the whole, despite numerous less than stellar sections/elements (poor rhythm minigames, annoying approach to the endgame, an essential compass that refuses to stay on screen after cut-scenes, etc).  Exploration and traversal is great (the soul jump mechanic is a win), as is the gameworld.  Music gets a big thumbs up too, and the visuals/gameplay possibilities are remarkable for such a small team.  With some of the rougher edges sanded down this could have been tremendous, but as is its still a worthwhile experience and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on a PS Extra sub to check it out.  Considering the size of the dev team this really is a lot better than it has any right to be.  

0ced5b_2c27ac3d2bd94a1084c140dce741cd24~mv2.gif

For me it's only a [7], but it wasn't really my journey - or me holding the pad for most of the non-tedious sections, it turned out (I had to do all the iffy factory reconnaissance bits) - so I'll type out the review I got Tilly to write:

Tchia Review!

Hi!  I am Tilly, and I would like to do a review of Tchia.  So get your gaming hat on and lets get started.

I rate this stupendous game **** stars, because there is some blood and as you may or may not know: I do not like 'blood'.  Unfortunately, when you get a dead ******* (can not say, spoilers) there is A LOT of blood.  YUCK!  It is a 12 so you could probably play it. 

Anyways, I like this game because it is really funny in places and I love turning into animals.  I also like that it lets you be a bird and fly around.  You can also transform into chairs and bins.  So a lot of stuff!!  The downside is that you can not be a motorbike, even though there is one in the city.  You would go so fast!  What is funny is that Tchia can stand on a car or truck and let it drive her away.  Same with helicopters.   

The controls are a breeze if you play it on PS5.  That means NO MORE GLITCHES.  I also like the tenseness of when Tchia's dad is kidnapped/dadnapped.  As well as that, Tchia has her OWN BOAT!  How cool is that?

The thing about this game is that it's a mix of a couple of games, including: Zelda Breath of the Wild, Alba, The Good Life and some others.  It's also FUN.  You can dive and twist and spin, until your eyes go thin!  What I am saying is, you can do a dive on the poolside!  I love doing it.  

It took me 5 days to finish!  We played it a lot today because I was off school with covid and my dad was home.  Now, time to take your gaming hat off.  Our adventure has come to an end.  Phew!  I have pins and needles. 

BYE!
    Spoiler:
  • Good review but she doesn’t look that ill to me.  Think you need to check if you’ve been had.
  • Nice
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 11.Resi 4 Remake - 20 Hours - 10,000,000/10 - Xbox Series X

Top 3 game of all time. Just perfect. Simple as that. Captures everything you’d want it to in every chapter. Stays loyal to some guidelines from the original but builds so, so much on top and everything betters what was perfect 18 years ago. Stunning to look at, to play, the sound work is sublime, the pacing is perfect, the variety of weapons and upgrade paths for them, the shooting gallery. For want of better words it’s absofuckingloutely perfect. Already started again on Hardcore and then will go through on professional as I’m in love. Perfect.

NKPHas.gif
  • Good review but she doesn’t look that ill to me.  Think you need to check if you’ve been had.

She's lost all taste. I'm worried this means that she'll start playing Elf games but otherwise she's symptom free.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    10,000,000/10
    Haha. This is what happens when you dish out the 10s too frequently. Nowhere to go when a real one comes along.
  • Tilly's game crit coming on at an outstanding rate.
  • I like her use of exclamation marks! Tell her grown ups don’t use them so much so her writing is much more exciting for them being there!

I’d defo read a Moot/Tilly substack and probably sub too. Sort it out between the two of you.
  • I don't know what that is so this'll have to do!
  • Ah, essentially blogs that pay. They've thought of everything these days.
  • Girlfriend Reviews went pretty massive on YouTube so I reckon there’s a market for daddy daughter reviews, especially when you can both write so well. (!)
  • For a bit of clarification, my son is 15 and working between an 8&9 for gcse (A* and A** in old money). He’s written some reviews as part of his course and they were only a little bit better than Tilly’s. Far less exciting too.
  • Girlfriend Reviews went pretty massive on YouTube so I reckon there’s a market for daddy daughter reviews, especially when you can both write so well. (!)

Tilly Plays!

I can see it now, like Ryan's World but gaming specific.

Do it Moot!!!!!

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tbf she would absolutely love that.  I'd already screenshotted JonB's praise and sent it to the wife to show her, along with the text 'this guy writes for Edge and has a proper book out'.
  • Retro Tuesdays - Tilly tackles a classic from Dads youth

Contemporary Fridays - Tilly forces Dad to play a modern game out of his comfort zone

Indie Sundays - A relaxing romp that settles somewhere in the middle
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Amazing review, Tilly. So much enthusiasm comes through in what you're saying, and when passion like that is effortless, you're definitely onto something really special. Bravo young lady! Thanks for your words!
  • None of this is going to happen but she's seen all the comments now and she's absolutely loving it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Silly Tilly's Brilly Reviews
  • Look at this fail.  Had a brainwave and emailed the wife with instructions on what to text me, which she did, but I'd already fucked it up.

pic2.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahahahah
  • 59. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Arcade (30mins)

I vaguely remember dropping 20p into this at an airport as a kid, but other than that I've not played the original Sega/Michael movie tie-in.  Or the seen the movie, in fact.  I have played the MS and MD side scrollers, which were both decent enough for the time.  The arcade original was a 4-player isometric shooter/scrolling beat 'em up hybrid though, which I played through on my way to work this morning, and I was shocked at how good it is. For clarity, it's not going to trouble anyone's top XX games ever list, but for a multiplayer arcade cab circa 1990 it must've been the business. It looks genuinely wonderful (the transition from external to internal locations is particularly nifty) obviously sounds great and has solid two button charge & blast gameplay that coexists harmoniously with the barmy goings on. As an isometric brawler it's far from perfect, but that doesn't matter as it's a throwaway arcade experience game really - and at least there's no platforming. The dance special is a great example of a gimmick that hits perfectly, and it's not ferociously difficult either. Sampled speech galore, boss battles aplenty and bizarreness abound. As a one & done I unexpectedly loved it. [5 out of 6]

tumblr_nm6tvaShte1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
  • 6. Cruis'n Blast (Switch) - 11hrs

I've always had a soft spot for the Cruis'n games, despite them never really being any good. I actually played the first three on N64 again a few years back on here and gave them all 3/10. Thankfully this is by far the best in the series.

I struggled with it initially, it felt unfairly difficult, but once I discovered that drifting is as essential as accelerating it all clicked into place.

It really is a great throw back the late 90s arcade racers. Think Hydro Thunder, San Francisco Rush etc. It feels like the perfect evolution of those late N64 early Dreamcast racers.

The graphics are nothing special on a technical level, but I absolutely love the look of it. Very colourful and vibrant, almost looks Sega Blue Skys™at times. Music is OK, but that main theme song... cheesy as fuck, but I love it.

I had a Blast!

7/10 

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What a great page of my favourite thread on the internet!

Highlights include:
    A Tilly review (I thought she was swearing at this bit for a minute "when you get a dead *******" though lol) 
    More Resi love from Verecocha (I actually thought he gave it an 11/10, before realising that it was just the 11th game he'd played, and he actually gave it a ten thousand/10)
    Some Cruisin Blast love from Retro!  Top game!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 60. Pu-Li-Ru-La - Arcade (25mins)

Absolutely bonkers scrolling beat 'em up that I spotted on a YouTube list of bonkers scrolling beat 'em ups.  I played through solo and the crazy is off the chart but the gameplay is a little on the limp side.  It looks amazing for 1991 though, with just about the most individual visual style I can think of for a game of this type.  [2.5 out of 6] is about as high as I can go really, but I did like it.  Which is why I roped Tilly in for a second playthrough.

Her thoughts:

Hi!  It's Tilly here and I would like to tell you about Pulirula.  So get your gaming hats on and let's get started!  So first, I would like to tell you my rating.  I give it 5 stars.  I rate it 5 stars because it includes magic and I LOVE magic. I like how it's two player and each player has slightly different powers.  I don't like these sort of games to last too long even if I like them.  I moaned about playing this one because I didn't enjoy the Simpsons one but as soon as this one started I loved it.  It only lasted about 20 minutes which was about the right length as all the levels are quite similar even though they look different. I like how if you kill a baddie they turn into animals that you can collect for points, like dogs, pigs and chickens.  My dad said it was all a bit weird but I thought it was just nice.  

There are 6 stages and the aim of the game is to un-freeze time.  Now our journey has come to an end.  Time to take your gaming hat off, until next time!  

170003-1.gif

61. Strider - PS5 (3hrs 50mins)

Short and sweet laser-focused Metroidvania with fluid controls, relentless boss battles and a strong action platform core.  I missed the boat with Strider, as by the time I got round to playing it I'll admit my reaction was more 'WTF' than 'wow', but I've got no doubt it was a belter at the time.  The huge mechanical gorilla and mountain descent screenshots always used to make me swoon as a kid, but for some reason I never picked it up (too busy playing the immeasurably superior Revenge of Shinobi I guess).  Even the time limit got on my tits as I'm pretty sure I ruined a save assisted runthough in the retro club thread by manually saving in an unwinnable position.  Anyway, the passage of time hurts some games more than others and Strider wouldn't be allowed within a country mile of my 'timeless games' list, because (whisper it) thanks to the benefit of hindsight + the fact that modern gamers are spoilt rotten with banging 2D experiences, it turns out some of it is actually a bit bobbins when critiqued with modern sensibilities.  So it's fair to say I didn't approach this with the mindset of a rabid fanboy, but I had always intended to go back after enjoying what I played a few years ago (I've had it in my PS+ library for yonks, and grabbed another month of Extra recently for Tchia).  Surprisingly, I thought it was magnificent for the first couple of hours.  It doesn't quite sustain the brilliance, with one or two late game mechanics not quite landing for me, but it's still an excellent update of a classic IP.  I'll have to give Strider 2 a look at some point (no, not the US Gold one).  Very much a me game on the whole, I had a blast ripping through it. [8]

I said it in the currently playing thread, but I'll say it again here: Metroid Dread owes Strider 2014 a debt for sure; I'd be amazed if at least some of the MercurySteam team weren't massive fans of this.  Both games even share the metallic sheen and fleet-footed slide-heavy core.  I know @retroking tends to avoid Metroidvanias for the most part (unless they're actual Metroid games), but this really is about as lite as it gets in terms of exploration - there's always a glowing GO HERE marker on your map, it's usually nearby, and the play area isn't that big anyway.  You'd like this one I reckon - it essentially plays out like a constant progression action/arcade game with satisfying hack 'n slash combat.

3000250-strider.gif

62. Adios - Xbox One (80 mins)

Amusingly rough looking interactive narrative/walking sim about a pig farmer attempting to call time on a long-standing working relationship with the mob.  The whole thing consists of pretty naturalistic dialogue with minimal player choices coupled with menial farm tasks, and it's very nearly excellent in places.  It's the sort of thing that I'd probably enjoy as a film, and it's always nice to see a game not falling flat on its face when it tries a more measured approach than most - believe it or not the writing and delivery are very good for the most part.  

I couldn't help laughing at the way it suddenly turned into an Octodad style wonkathon when you're tasked with making a stew towards the end - there were carrots and knives everywhere for me - and unfortunately [actual ending spoiler within]
    Spoiler:

Still, this was a great effort on the whole.  A slightly harsh [7] then, but it's whiskers away from an [8] and one of the best games of its type that I've played for a while.

b57c789f-26df-4b88-b276-a661a548ceea.png?ssl=1
  • I actually started the OG arcade Strider yesterday, think I'm about half way through. Was thinking the same as you, defo more 'WTF' than 'wow'.

I've also had the one you reviewed on PS+ for years, I remember booting it up once and being impressed enough to keep in on the PS3 HDD. Might get around to it one day.

There's a sequel on PSone that's meant to be decent to, and the NES game is unique and quite well regarded.

Just don't go anywhere near that Mega Drive/Amiga U.S. Gold sequel. Fucking awful.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The PS1 sequel is actually an arcade port, which I found out a couple of days ago.  I'll probably play that one as I assume I can credit feed it, the PS1 version is supposedly rock hard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!