52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Never revisit MD Spidey. It's aged worse than EWJ.
    I did just that a few years back.

Grim.
  • 32. Returnal - PS5 (19hrs)

Pew Pew ∞!  Sumptuous arcadelike arena shooter from the masters of blasters starring Trumpton's favourite firefighting twins trapped in a perpetual intergalactic rogue loop.  Housemarque have replaced Treasure as the go-to pew guys in recent years - Resogun and Nex Machina were both S tier bullet sprayers.  Yes, I've gone 'on record' saying I prefer Aqua Kitty Milk Mine Defender to Resogun, but a) I fucking love Aqua Kitty and b) I played the slightly stepped on Vita version of Resogun, rather than the smooth & shiny PS4 game.  Plus I never said Aqua Kitty was a better game...

As mentioned elsewhere I was a bit disappointed/concerned when this was revealed as it's a huge jump from ultra polished small scale shmups to developing a roguelike flagship AAA title leading the first wave of the next gen offensive.  At a time when Sony believed in generations, no less.  In hindsight there was no need to worry as there's absolutely nothing about this game that suggests they weren't ready for the leap.  Despite the grander scale it's at least as well executed as the near perfect Nex Machina.  

In terms of layout the structure is interesting as there seem to be far less cards being shuffled behind the scenes than you'd usually see in comparative titles.  Each biome consists of a set number(?) of rooms arranged at random, but the hidden tombola spitting them out is only half full.  This means it's possible to learn the arenas/areas through repetition, as they're stitched together from eventually recognisable segments, whereas in other roguelikes you'll be training yourself to git gud/learning how to adapt on your toes.  This is important, because at first the odds felt insurmountable so the limited number of permutations work in the player's favour over time.  It's a small yet welcome leg up anyway.

Pretty much everything about the controls felt right, from the movement speed to the dash duration to the zipwire tracking to the jump length/height.  It's a shooter, but it's no slouch in the getting from A to B department either.  The half depress of L2 was a swing and a miss for me so I played it as a shoot-from-the-hip game.  Heavy fingers under pressure maybe, but a tender half press just wasn't possible on the cobbled dancefloor.  Crayon mentioned an alt fire button as an option, so I presume you can map aiming down the sights to a full press of L2 if you wish.  It wasn't an issue for me anyway.

There's so much left to say about it, but Supermarket Shriek is calling before bed.  I intended to waffle on for ages but I've changed my mind.  A quickfire summary of things I would have typed paragraphs on if I wasn't tired: The absolute balance of it all; even with all the risk/reward factors and multiple plates spinning at once, balance still emerges victorious.  The truly wonderful sound design - the room clear motif is chef's smooch stuff.  The drip fed narrative that trumps even the best walking sims and embarrasses all other shooters with a story attached (except Spec Ops: The Line maybe, that was good).  The pool of play-your-way weapons.  And most importantly, the absolute death grip addictiveness of every single second of it.

It's so very nearly a [10].  If pushed for complaints I'd say the sword isn't quite as satisfying to use as I would have liked, and I'd still suggest the required run times are a huge ask.  You really have to dedicate film length sessions to schleps that will invariable result in failure (climb as many ladders as you like, the sneaky snakes will still take you back to one of two squares), and although I see no obvious way around it without changing the fundamentals of what this game is, I'd have to highlight it as an issue.  I believe the suspend feature was added post launch, but even so...it's a lot. This is not how I play games, and I had to make an exception based on the quality of the experience.  

If you have the time, patience, skill [toots dusty trumpet] and dedication to see it through it's a once in a generation experience though, which is currently doorhanging just outside my all-time top ten waiting for an audio cue on an alt fire cooldown. Worth the price of a PS5. [9]

f6c59eb0471bfdd39518faff6fa35a530b02e1be.gifv
  • Cracking game, cracking read.  Done it easy mate.

Think up until last week it was my favourite PS5 game and could easily imagine it staying in the top 10 over the console's life.  It'll age gracefully.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 33. The Legend of Tianding - Switch (4hrs)

Odd little throwback platform brawler that feels like it would be at home on the Wii. Which isn't a criticism per se, it just reminded me of the likes of Muramasa and, more specifically, Batman: The Bold and the Beautiful (a thread favourite). Throw some Guacamelee into the mix and you've got the gist. I'm undecided how much I liked it overall, which isn't ideal as I've already started reviewing it, but I mostly had fun. I started this before Returnal, so it unwittingly became the slightly thin bread of a giant wave-based goat sandwich, which has probably made me slightly more critical of its weaker elements.

The tl, dr would be: cracking combat (the weapon steal is superb) with surprisingly nimble character movement, but padded by artificial length and tied together with a charmingly presented story that may have been translated by a work experience lad beamed in from the 1970s ("crumbs!")

A pricepoint more refllective of its charms, better performance, at least one more proper level and a few less 'bring me a hat from the tailor' (then go back and get me something else from the same area) requests would have upped the score by at least a point. [6]. Appreciated the rec JonB, it's a hugely me game on paper. Whenever a fight broke out I was happy.

My biggest takeaway from the experience is how awesome a 2D Yakuza spin-off that adopted a similar approach could be.

Edit: Forgot to mention the absolute Numberwang card battle that appeared midway through the game. I won, but I didn't have the slightest clue what I was supposed to be doing. Yes, there were a series of instructions, but I glazed over. I think it was a bit like ancient Uno, maybe. I was similarly miffed by the recurring dice game in Lunar Nights. I just don't learn this sort of thing easily and I seem to be predisposed to resist.

LoT_5.gif?t=1640070486
  • Haha. I'm pretty sure the card game is entirely luck-based - I didn't stick with it for long. I pretty much agree with what you've said - it was crying out for at least one more proper level, and the padding is a downer. The music, the bosses and the overall comic book vibe deserve more of a mention though. Enough to elevate it to a 7/8 for me.
  • It's a pretty game for sure. The stutters in busy village screens irked, but overall it's got a strong look. Especially when the view zoomed in a bit (when usually the opposite is true with this sort of thing). The music was good yep, and used more sparingly than I expected. All the double jump/roll/thrust/rising kick inputs felt spot on too. No regrets grabbing it on sale anyway.
  • 10. Invisible, Inc. (PS4, iOS)
    Calling time on this, having pootled around with it, off and on, for years. A turn-based, grid-based, race against time, odds stacked against you, back to the wall, completely outmanned and outgunned, nail-biting, rogue-like, stealther. It’s extremely good. Mostly. 

The systems and upgrades are all well-designed. The rule sets for how the stealth works are a bit hard to grasp at first but completely consistent once you've got your head around it. The different abilities of each character unlock completely new play styles. It’s (on anything higher than beginner) constantly tense. With a miserly upgrade path leading to a continual series of trade offs and hard choices. You're not given much to start with and every upgrade you choose either disadvantages you somewhere else, or leaves you exposed later on from not upgrading another area. There's no real 'play it safe' option as each turn ratchets up a security meter that adds more guards and increases firewalls (which you have to break with a power meter that has to be striclty budgeted). So there's a constant tension between quick completion of the mission and not exposing yourself to the risk of being discovered.   

The game is so tightly wired against you succeeding that one wrong move, or one bad roll of some procedurally-created dice and it’s usually disaster. Sometimes you get screwed and there’s very little you could have done about it. Sometimes the missions you need don’t come up, or the equipment you get isn’t up to snuff, or the procedurally generated map, guard patterns and daemons (handicaps the game adds) conspire against you and you’re done for. You take a risk because you have to and it’s just the wrong move at just the wrong time and it’s game over. There comes a point in the game where the starting load out doesn't cut it any more and if the right stuff hasn't come up, it's curtains. 

It’s usually not even enough to get through a mission by the skin of your teeth, ammo depleted, dragging injured teammates to the exit in the nick of time just before the guards swarm in. Because, although the game seems to want to put you in that situation all the time, you’ve likely used essential items in getting out of there. Or missed essential swag. And now you’re done for in the next level because you haven't maximised your opportunities earlier. You can't even reload your gun between missions. You've got to find a terminal in the level and spend essential credits on a one-use recharge pack or carry one around with you, taking up essential storage space. Because you're so hard-up all the time, the temptation to take a chance and explore that extra room or corridor, in the hope of getting some extra gear, is always there, the game goading you into disaster. 

All of that isn't a criticism exactly. It's the game. A tightrope from start to finish that the devs wobble and lob stuff at you and scream at you until you fall off. But there are (switching metphors) ways through the minefield a lot of the time. Those skin-of-the-teeth mission completions feel pretty good. You can be pinned down in a room by guards, the team split up, the exit the other side of the map, but then a crucial weapon finishes its cooldown, you spend all your power budget, and you somehow make it out of there after a frantic madcap dash. There's 5 or 6 mission types which, despite different level layouts, you can formulate a rough strategy for how to deal with once you know how they're likely to play out. It's pretty compelling, it's really well done. But it's pretty frustrating a lot of the time as well. 

Avoid the mobile version. The iOS version is a bit hampered by its interface, making it hard to see what’s going on and tedious to control. I couldn’t even find the X-Ray mode, that wipes away the scenery so you can see what's going on in the narrow corridors you have to hide in. So gave up on that one after a while and went back to the PS4.  
    90%
  • Strong review, I had similar thoughts earlier in the year but frustration edged out compelling. It's definitely a decent game but it's got a big fat Darkest Dungeon mean streak that would have been too much for me without the extra accessibility options.
  • The most satisfying playthroughs I've had were custom jobs. Usually bumping up the hours left until the final mission is enough to tilt the balance. Giving a better chance of acquiring an acceptable load out. Of the three standard difficulties, Expert is described as 'the base tuning' for the game but is well into 'fuck this' territory for me. Even the middle Experienced level is mostly about getting kicked in the nuts.
  • Beginner with loads of starting credits/longer guard KOs + 99 restarts saw me through eventually :)
  • The only real pickle I can think of is when you can't get extra agents in good time. Otherwise I don't feel like there's ever a situation where it pushes you towards failure. There's always loads of info at your disposal with risks clearly marked, and there's rarely a reason to run anywhere blindly. Layouts can make a difference, of course, but a bottleneck in one area means the rest of the level will be relatively safe.
  • Layouts aren't all that bad. The power budget is usually the killer. Cracking open the thing you need to access and turning off the cameras, and disabling the drones, and then getting a daemon that drains your power more, and then you've got to hold up for a few turns waiting for some stuff to recharge and now the security level has risen and the cameras have been rebooted. I found myself trapped a lot.
  • A more streamlined version could be very much my sort of thing. There's just a bit too much to keep an eye on at all times for my tastes. If I'm going to do something ad infinitum I prefer it to err on the simpler side. Can see why the opposite would be true for many though.
  • Maybe it's harsher than I remember, or I played it so much that all the ins and outs became ingrained. There's certainly a lot to juggle.

I want to go back to it now, but there's no time.
  • There's also the chance that I'm just not very good at it.
  • 7.Dying Light 2- 6 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox Series X

Didn’t think this would be to my tastes but had nothing else to play and got it for £16…still wasted…Not that it’s a bad game at all, just feels aimless and like it’s trying to do too many things at once without really succeeding at any of them. Think it’s a pattern with me and first person open world games, unless they’ve got a strong story or are part of a franchise I like they just never really catch me. Binned.

8.Sifu- 6 Hours - 5/10 - PS5

Another picked up in the lull. Another quitter. Completed half of it and whilst I enjoyed it somewhat, nowhere near enough to carry on. Just too much work. Never have been one to remember a number of combos etc, thought I’d be able to muddle through but with the age thing it just becomes a farce. Some great set-pieces and a very well made game, nice visual style and the soundtrack/sound is brilliant. But just too much hard work for me to be able to enjoy it.
    Binned.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you play the first Dying Light, Vera?
  • Did you play the first Dying Light, Vera?

No, didn’t think I’d get along with it then but really wanted to give this one a go. It’s really not a bad, bad game, just one of those I will never choose to play.
  • 34. Aerial Knight's Never Yield - Xbox Series S (75 mins)

I like autorunners.  It's not a particularly fashionable genre, but even a merely competent attempt can scratch an itch now and then.  Bike Rider DX on 3DS?  Loved it.  Escape Doodleland was one of the first 89p bangers I found on Switch.  FutureGrind was magic, I'm pretty sure that was under two quid briefly.  The thing is, I knew this was bad before I played it as I tried the demo on Switch, so I have no idea why I even installed it in the first place.  Maybe because I was surprised to see such a recent release added to Games With Gold this month?  Anyway, there it was in my games library when I was deciding whether to start Nobody Saves The World or carry on with DOOM 64 this afternoon, and for some reason I dived in.

The main problem is the fact that I literally can't find a single reason for this to exist.  It's like Aerial Knight woke up one day, got baked while listening to an obscure Ninja Tune vinyl and declared that he wouldn't rest until he'd created an offensively average autorunner.  Mission accomplished my man, I've played a dozen or so similar titles and this is the one that offered the least amount of gameplay elements I'd describe as worthwhile.  On the tier scale, with Meatboy Forever in the coveted SS section, this would sit beneath anything comparable I've played, including the into the screen PJ Masks effort I had a go of on my daughter's tablet. You literally just slide, sprint, jump or vault with the four dpad directions and that's it for the entire game.  On the default difficulty the whole thing enters bullet time (so cool!) as you approach a colour coded object, plus there's pre-warning colour swipe at the edge of the screen, so you'd have to have be on a double dose of Tramodol to die more than once on any given section.  It's ridiculous how little faith it has in the player's ability to react - it's akin to playing Dragon's Lair with someone who knows the layout shouting "left, right, up!" at you.  I reckon I died less than twenty times in 13 stages, and ended up in the top 1% of players for the entire back half, presumably because no-one has voluntarily played that far.  Despite this, when you do die a continue screen (with a countdown timer) will ask you if you yield, which I accidentally selected twice and got booted back to the main menu.  I'm not convinced Aeriel has played any other runners, because this is not how they work.

Aesthetically it's clearly aiming to be cool - or whatever the modern equivalent might be - but in doing so ends up looking like something my dad might design if he was forced to thinktank stuff that represented the phrase down with the kids.  I'm not exactly Paul Newman, but to my eyes this is about as as cool as a cucumber wearing John Lennon glasses with extra flipdown lenses, Neo's jacket, a backwards baseball cap and and a bum bag falling through a bar saying "play it cool, Trig".  It's a bit Seyonara Wild Hearts and a bit Into The Spiderverse, and it's all wrong.

There are worse games out there, but even I haven't played many of them.  This has an unfathomably high Metacritic score of 74.  Meatboy Forever has a Metacritic score of 66.  I know that counts for nothing in the real world (and I know there's a huge disparity between the number of sources that reviewed both - 6 to 37), but even so I can't think of comparable scores within any genre that make less sense. [3]

RocketRUN.gif?t=1644917005
  • 35. Supermarket Shriek - Switch (3.5hrs)

I love replaying indies.  Until the previous gen I rarely bothered replaying anything once polygons arrived as almost everything became a one shot experience.  Even absolute favourites like Ninja Gaiden on the Oldbox (which I repeatedly said to myself I was going to replay, even as I played it) never saw the disc drive again.  I've revisited a dozen or so gems in the last couple of years though, with no regrets.  

This was one of my indie champions from 2019 - an absolute treat when I first started dabbling with Gamepass - and I'm happy to report that the portable port is good.  The Switch lacks analogue triggers, so this will never be the definitive version, but it's not as big a deal as it is in something like Trials Rising.  The layouts never really call for a soft scream anyway, so digital inputs are fine.  

So what is it?  It's an obstacle course challenge with a man and a goat stuck in a shopping trolley that can only be propelled by scream power.  One scream turns the cart left, one scream turns the cart right, both at once roll it forwards.  You can use the left stick to assist with the steering, but that muddies the purity of the controls so I switch it off in the menus.  It's a bit Marble Madness, a bit Kuru Kuru Kururin and a bit Doritos Crash Course, which is INJECT IT territory for me.  The controls are outstanding.  There are only six sets of levels, so it's a crying shame there's no user generated content/DIY mode, but I loved every second of it.  I can't remember if the Bone version had online leaderboards.  This doesn't, so that's a sizeable omission if so, but it does keep track of local best time ghosts to race.  £8 the cart cost me, it's even cheaper than that elsewhere (on PS4 too).  Wonderful stuff.

It's absolutely a [9], I even enjoyed the shopping list stages this time.  Mute the audio and roll to Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger on repeat, you won't regret it. 

FEATURE_1_GIF.gif?t=1644415446
  • 36. FAR: Changing Tides - Xbox Series S (4hrs)

Sequel to the rather lovely FAR: Lone Sails, which I enjoyed in 2020.  It's more of the same, more or less, but that's not really a problem as there are so few similar games.  My main complaint would be that despite the (presumably) bigger budget and extra experience for Okomotive, it retains a fair amount of the clunk evident in its predecessor.  The character doesn't control too well, pressing X to grab and release items is a bit flakey, the kick on the propeller suit feels weird and ladders are constantly irritating.  Oddly, this doesn't take a huge bite out of the fun as the charm is infectious.  It's a shame it feels so awkward compared to something like Inside, which is six years old now - two years older than Lone Sails - but it's not a deal breaker.  The slow pull of the destination and almost preordained progress (everything in the world seems to fit/click/combine perfectly to assist the forward motion of your vessel), coupled with the hustle of overseeing the various essential levers and pulleys to keep on keeping on results in a busy yet tranquil experience with an impressively individual identity.  Definitely a journey I'll embark on again in a few years if a third game appears, there's nothing quite like it when you're buzzing around the ship successfully maintaining a good rate of knots, closing the distance between yourself and your destination while bouncing through the waves. [8]

giphy-downsized-large.gif
  • 37. Archery Club - Switch (6hrs)

I bought this a while ago as a potential multiplayer caravan game. It was £1.88 at the time, so I was happy to gamble on it, but was definitely expecting it to be a bit shit as reviews were hard to find. The ladslads van trip was cancelled as my daughter currently has covid, and I remembered I'd bought it as she was going to bed last night. I was still playing it over four hours later, having paid next to no attention to either my wife or A Quiet Place 2. It's a grindy, glitchy little number that has built-for-mobile klaxons going off all over the place, but the core archery is kinda superb. There are loot boxes aplenty which contain unlockable gear cards to boost your stats (the usual common/rare/legendary gubbins), and even a trickshot mode with a 24hr cooldown period on claiming prizes, so it's like an archery version of Candy Crush I guess. Although I've barely played any mobile games so I really am guessing to an extent.

The three main events are great though. Longbow has you shooting at targets while taking into account the drop for distance and wind levels. Shortbow is more of a quickfire round with multiple targets in play at once (fun but easily the weakest of the three), and the Compound Bow is like an ultra powerful long distance finesse shot. Simple stuff really, but rarely (if ever) executed this well.

I managed to beat the World Tour mode, which pits you against stupidly/randomly named AI characters (Hony Bun, Sweetie, Magic Cat, Top Shot, Emily, Buzz Man) across ten different locations. It's ferociously unfair in the later stages, but I enjoyed smashing my head against it until it allowed me a stroke of luck. Honestly, if you get the longbow as an event in the final two stages you might as well not bother - I lost track of the amount of times my opponent scored a perfect 70 from three arrows, proper M. Bison level 8 brass neck stuff.

There's a Challenge mode with balloon popping, bottle breaking and bad guy/hostage set-ups too. I'm halfway through that and it's Good Craic. Multiplayer is turn based rather than split screen (shortbow excluded), which is a great choice and means that this will indeed be an excellent caravan game when the beano is back on. I would have absolutely loved this in the early noughties as an alternative to Everybody's Golf 2, Monkey Target, Worms Armageddon and Tony Hawks H.O.R.S.E mode. Pass the pad ftw.

The menus hang for up to five seconds at a time and the entire front end feels cheap, but I can't knock the actual target stuff. [8] seems about right. I could sit here and pick it apart but I wanted a good multiplayer archery game and I got one.

• You should play Golf Clash m8.
  • Not even a joke, really.
  • Is that the one I played on your phone briefly? If so I would 100% love it, I reckon I could play that for hours at a time.
  • Aye that's the one. Surprisingly moreish.
  • We've clocked up over 10hrs on this, which must've been a mobile game originally:

Eye roll stuff for Real Gamerz but it's great fun, even if they couldn't afford the Leslie Phillips sponsorship.

(page is being weird with its video tags for some reason).
  • 9.Horizon Forbidden West - 50 Hours - 9/10 - PS5

One of those few games you’re actually disappointed when you finish as you just wanted more. Loved this. The story, the characters, the missions, side missions, cauldrons, absolutely loved it and just wanted more and more, despite the fact the combat is still pretty woeful.

Visually it’s an absolute stunner, easily the prettiest PS5 game and so probably the best looking game I’ve seen. Characters, environments are absolutely beautiful and the details on the machines are incredible. Sound design too is awesome with the tiniest effects coming through perfectly when destroying the beautiful machines with pieces of them raining down on Aloy.

The story opens up and keeps giving right until the end with loads of interesting characters and twists. I genuinely enjoyed it and that’s what kept me interested as the combat has not got any better since the first.

The ranged combat with all sorts of bows and throwers is technically perfect, yet even with top tier weapons and ammo types almost all of the enemies can be such huge sponges. Shooting off all the destructible parts of them then still having to shoot arrow after arrow into them is a little tiring and in some of the fights just gets kind of boring. What’s worse though is the melee, without a lock-on, block or parry it’s just not very fun or difficult, to add insult to injury there are times when your enemy will knock you down and Aloy takes so long to get up the next attack will keep you stunned with it taking an eternity and lots of lost health before you can get back up and back in the fight. Some really simple changes would make a huge difference here and make the CQC a good alternative instead of an annoyance.

But it says everything about the game that even with such a huge part of it, and my favourite part of any game being such a let down it still scores so highly. It’s just an absolutely beautiful game with great, interesting characters and a story that sucked me in. Loved it. 9/10.
  • 38. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Megadrive (50-ish mins)

The Youtube algo offered me a live version of Smooth Criminal last week, which Jackson mimed his way through shamelessly. So obviously after watching that I thought 'I wonder how the Megadrive version of Moonwalker holds up'. When I was a MD-less kid Dean Walker had Moonwalker, which we used to play after school when we weren't Wrestle Warring. It was pretty good, all things considered (with the benefit of hindsight there's a lot to consider; much like the man himself the game is fucking weird). I've never seen the film and didn't know the arcade game existed at that point, so this was pretty much my only Michael avenue as a kid.

Time has been less harsh on early 16-bit games than later ones, is my most recent Hot Take, and this manages to remain fairly decent compared to some. The simplicity definitely doesn't hurt it. Rescue kidnapped kids in five sets of three stages and either fight or have a dance off with a wave or two of baddies is basically it for Jacko's to-do list. It looks quite nice for its age (a definite step up from 8-bit era), sounds great and plays reasonably well, while keeping its 'oh fuck off' elements of unfairness down to a bare minimum. It gets annoying towards the end, but of course it does. 7 Cockerbums out of 10.

anigif_sub-buzz-26186-1467750409-2.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!