52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Can't stop thinking about it.
  • 84. Sagaia - Genesis (55mins)
    85. Darius Gaiden - Arcade (30mins)

Two absolute scrubman playthroughs of well regarded horiscroll shumps, inspired by some chat that broke out on here last week.  I had Sagaia - aka Darius II - as a kid. My dad bought the MD off (of) a colleague and it came with a diverse smattering of games, but I was never any good at it, or the genre.  I borrowed Hellfire once: blimey.  Even in 1992 with only a handful of games to choose from I think reaching level 3 of Sagaia was my PB.  I tended to prefer the screen push types (Sub-Terrania etc.) to the forced scrolling ones, a preference that's mostly stuck.  I've dabbled with far more shmups in recent years than I usually do, but I'm still a beginner when it comes to taming them.  Which is probably why I still think Sagaia is outrageously difficult even with save states.  It's smooth, it controls well and I'd have the stage one music in contention for the absolute best shmup tune ever award, but it's so crushingly brutal that at least 60% of my playthrough was a war of attrition.  And that's powered up, mind - if you rollsafe with save scumming and keep your shield you don't reappear with a pea-shooter because it's basically a TAS perfect run.  For those in the know I believe this is considered a good game and a solid port, but it's so far out of my comfort zone I wouldn't have the slightest interest in learning the latter stages properly.  Mrs. Moot summed it up for me when she glanced at the screen: 'I hate these games, they never seem fair'.  Of course she's wrong, but only for the small minority of players with the drive to learn why - in layman's terms she's bang on.  There were sections I found hard to navigate unscathed even with flagrant abuse of rewinds.

So I moved on to Darius Gaiden afterwards, and thankfully the whole thing felt infinitely more doable thanks to the get out of jail bomb drop, which wasn't an option in the earlier game.  You only get three per credit, but the ability to survive a no-win situation is a bit of a game changer for anyone who doesn't know that layouts like the back of their hand.  I've got no idea when shmups started to incorporate such niceties, but the invincibility windows offered by bombs feel like a pretty big deal to me (as they did in Crisis Wing, Sophstar etc).  I still had to hammer the save states, obviously, but the bomb helped me to pretend I was in charge. 

The Outrun style branching paths are great and seem to be a Darius staple (which means there are tons of stages in all of them), as is the WARNING A HUGE BATTLESHIP APPROACHES boss stuff.  The names of the guardians are suitably wild too - I think one of them was called Fatty Glutton.  Gaiden in particular is clearly a legit game, but not being skilled at the genre coupled with having zero desire to learn the layouts means it's a bit wasted on me.  Off the top of my head I can't actually think of any forced horizontal scrolling shmups that I genuinely love - there almost certainly aren't any in my top 100. 

There's no point in me adding scores really, they're proper 'it's not you it's me' games.  Gaiden > Sagaia, but something like Resogun is miles better than both for my tastes.  

Here's an energetic rendition of the tune I mentioned earlier:

tumblr_neur3dPceL1t2amzbo2_400.gif
  • 12. Soul Blazer (SNES) - 10hrs 30mins 

Top down Action RPG in which you take the role of an angel called upon by The Master (God?), to destroy monsters and release the captured souls of the world's inhabitants.

There are seven towns/areas in the game that are in ruin, each consisting of multiple lairs. For every monster you kill in the lairs, a soul of the corrosponding town is released and returned. They are mostly humans, but it could be anything from a talking dog or plant. As souls are released, the town is reconstructed around the people, and the new NPC's give you advice and items, to complete the area.

The plot is decent enough, instead of the typical damsel in distress it involves a King called Magridd who forces an inventor Dr. Leo to create a machine to contact the evil spirit, Deathtoll. Deathtoll offered the king one gold piece for each soul from his kingdom. This is where The Master calls upon you.

The way the areas unfold is brilliant and the combat whilst quite simple works really well, especially as the games various magic spells are unlocked. There is also a lock button which keeps you facing in any given direction, making fighting enemies with your sword much easier and fun than most other top down action games. It feels like Ocarina of Times lock on was an evolution of this.

The graphics are great, it's early SNES so things hadn't quite hit the heights of Chrono Trigger etc but the areas are varied with some great effects that made use of the SNES hardware. Music is also top notch, there's a few tracks that have definitely stuck with me.

Overall there is little to fault for me. I'm a huge Zelda fan, and this is definitely the best action/adventure game I've played in this ilk that doesn't bare the Zelda name.

9/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Love it! Regretfully, I sold my very-decent copy a few years back during my collection cull. Now I’m on the lookout for a good copy on eBay but they are mostly in unsatisfactory condition for me. 

Gonna keep for a mini collection:
    Soul Blazer (why the change from Blader?! What’s the story there?)
    Actraiser
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia (maybe)
    Secret of Mana
    Chrono Trigger - maybe. Too expensive now. Again, I now regret selling my mint copy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm getting this confused with something we played in the retro club thread that had a similar name maybe? Side scrolling platformer, was considered a hidden SNES gem of sorts. The name might be completely different ergo there might be no good reason why I'm getting the two mixed up. Anything obvious spring to mind? I did finish it iirc.
  • Found it - Skyblazer. Carry on.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    84. Sagaia - Genesis (55mins)
    85. Darius Gaiden - Arcade (30mins)

Two absolute scrubman playthroughs of well regarded horiscroll shumps, inspired by some chat that broke out on here last week.  I had Sagaia - aka Darius II - as a kid. My dad bought the MD off (of) a colleague and it came with a diverse smattering of games, but I was never any good at it, or the genre.  I borrowed Hellfire once: blimey.  Even in 1992 with only a handful of games to choose from I think reaching level 3 of Sagaia was my PB.  I tended to prefer the screen push types (Sub-Terrania etc.) to the forced scrolling ones, a preference that's mostly stuck.  I've dabbled with far more shmups in recent years than I usually do, but I'm still a beginner when it comes to taming them.  Which is probably why I still think Sagaia is outrageously difficult even with save states.  It's smooth, it controls well and I'd have the stage one music in contention for the absolute best shmup tune ever award, but it's so crushingly brutal that at least 60% of my playthrough was a war of attrition.  And that's powered up, mind - if you rollsafe with save scumming and keep your shield you don't reappear with a pea-shooter because it's basically a TAS perfect run.  For those in the know I believe this is considered a good game and a solid port, but it's so far out of my comfort zone I wouldn't have the slightest interest in learning the latter stages properly.  Mrs. Moot summed it up for me when she glanced at the screen: 'I hate these games, they never seem fair'.  Of course she's wrong, but only for the small minority of players with the drive to learn why - in layman's terms she's bang on.  There were sections I found hard to navigate unscathed even with flagrant abuse of rewinds.

So I moved on to Darius Gaiden afterwards, and thankfully the whole thing felt infinitely more doable thanks to the get out of jail bomb drop, which wasn't an option in the earlier game.  You only get three per credit, but the ability to survive a no-win situation is a bit of a game changer for anyone who doesn't know that layouts like the back of their hand.  I've got no idea when shmups started to incorporate such niceties, but the invincibility windows offered by bombs feel like a pretty big deal to me (as they did in Crisis Wing, Sophstar etc).  I still had to hammer the save states, obviously, but the bomb helped me to pretend I was in charge. 

The Outrun style branching paths are great and seem to be a Darius staple (which means there are tons of stages in all of them), as is the WARNING A HUGE BATTLESHIP APPROACHES boss stuff.  The names of the guardians are suitably wild too - I think one of them was called Fatty Glutton.  Gaiden in particular is clearly a legit game, but not being skilled at the genre coupled with having zero desire to learn the layouts means it's a bit wasted on me.  Off the top of my head I can't actually think of any forced horizontal scrolling shmups that I genuinely love - there almost certainly aren't any in my top 100. 

There's no point in me adding scores really, they're proper 'it's not you it's me' games.  Gaiden > Sagaia, but something like Resogun is miles better than both for my tastes.  

Here's an energetic rendition of the tune I mentioned earlier:

tumblr_neur3dPceL1t2amzbo2_400.gif

Don't think I didn't notice.
  • 86. Inscryption - Switch (12hrs?)

Bizarre narrative driven escape the room cum deck builder that's briefly roguelike, then decides it's not just as you settle into its already unusual groove.  It's one of those 'better to know nothing about it going in' things.  Like The Stanley Parable.  Or the Nic Cage Wicker Man.  Or Mindcage, which just popped in my head for some reason.  This also makes it trickier to review than my usual go-right-to-win games, so I'll keep this short.

The thought of deck builders usually leaves me cold.  I appreciate the idea - and why other people might love 'em - it just sounds like hot piss for my particular gaming tastes.  Slay the Spire is clearly and irrefutably one of the greatest games ever made, but the whole roguelike randodeck stuff has me sticking my limbs out like an old dog being carried towards a bath he doesn't want.  I know I wouldn't like it, and perhaps more importantly, I'd rather not like it because the StS brigade don't seem to bat an eyelid at dropping 200-500hrs into the one thing on repeat.  GOAT or not, I'm not that monogamous when it comes to games (which some of you have probably noticed), and I think Trials Evo is the only game I've ever clocked up big hours on (300 maybe?).  Spire doesn't have the Devolver factor though, which is always worth a minimum of +2 for me.  Plus this isn't an affront to the eyeballs. 

Tangent time, just look at this list: Hotline Miami, Luftrausers, the early Olli Olli's, Downwell, Mother Russia Bleeds, Ruiner, The Red Strings Club, Return to Monkey Island, Ape Out, Gris, Disc Room, Enter the Gungeon, Sludge Life, Katana Zero, Fall Guys, BroForce, Death's Door, The Messenger, Minit, Heave-Ho, and (while perhaps not the best game on the list) my personal favourite, Not a Hero.  I could go on, but the quality is plain to see from that little lot: more often than not DevDig back the right horse.  Quelle surprise, as the non-sad kids say: Inscryption is a belter too.

I didn't love it all the way through, but on the whole I thought it was brilliant.  It took me a while to get to grips with what's basically a new genre to me (I played Steamworld Quest, but that holds your hand a lot more), and I thought it dragged a little when it took its first left turn, but towards the end I was thoroughly addicted to the battles and the time flew by.  I'm pretty sure it became intentionally easier as it progressed because I only lost one life in act III.

That's enough chat anyway, it's a delightful game that's worth an [8] or [9] depending on how good a mood I'm in.  In Devolver we trust; their Robocop chainsaw showcase videos wear a bit thin these days, but the software they publish continues to impress.

I particularly liked how ridiculously OP the 
    Spoiler:

c0c025_a6ee01e9c8e84b1097a2302e996675cf~mv2.gif

Aside from What the Bat, which needs finishing off, and my continuing journey through the streets of the mid-90s, my gaming plate is now pretty much clear for Zelda.
  • 87. Synth Riders - PSVR2 (5hrs)

Might as well stick this in too, seeing as it's another one that's revealed most of its charms early on.  I always fancied Beat Saber but some of the videos floating around did seem to make it look a bit too full-on.  This is more or less a sit down/calm down version of that, and can be played either as a straight rhythm game, or one that also judges you on the force of your on-the-beat punches.  The latter is great fun but an unwelcome reminder that, despite my actual shape, I'm not in the best of shape.  The whole package does what it's supposed to and the VR immersion really does kick it up a notch.  There are a smattering of downloadable 'Experience' tracks too, which are basically strap-in audiovisual rollercoaster music videos (of varying quality - start with the stirring Lindsey Sterling one).

So yeah, it does what it says on the tin/what @tin said it does.  Not worth buying a VR kit for imho but an absolute must buy for anyone who has one.  Or alternatively, a big tick in the 'reasons to buy one' column (and Pistol Whip should already have at least two big ticks next to it).  Miles better than anything comparable I've played, although I admit I never embraced the plastic band scene (other than certain a pair of maracas I once bought from a customer at Game....).  Quality game, would kill for a Sturgill Simpson Sound & Fury EXP.  [8]

rzy5iet5if561.gif?width=600&auto=webp&s=d99058853f222067bc19c50eddffb490347ac587

Edit: Okay so that gif doesn't make it look much less crazy than Beat Saber.  There are plenty of difficulty settings though, and so far normal is my sweet spot for enjoyment/not sweating out of my eyes.
  • Was that jacket in that free designer clobba you got? Damn you can move.
  • I'd be even less likely to wear that than the horrific Armani T shirt I keep almost wearing out the house. 

More importantly: you need Pistol Whip in your life.
  • Yes yes, it's top of the list when I eventually enter this VR space.
  • Tell Muzzy to pull his finger out - you'll need Move controllers but it's on PSVR1.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah sorry
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    DM addy and I'll send the vr aids
  • You're next on the headset iirc?  Has Astrobot and a few other discs with it iirc (including the 'big' light gun game, can't remember what it was called).  Muzzy has to complete Statik and try Headmaster first though.

Edit: Blood & Truth.
  • Omgzors!

Yeah muzz, do your work ffs. (no rush, honestly)
  • 88. Night Slashers - Arcade (40mins)

Bloodthirsty Data East belt scroller from 1993 that leans heavily into its horror theme but manages to feel less gimmicky than some.  Heads pop, limbs tear and skin melts as you plough through seven stages of fisticuffs 'n gore.  Characters have a reasonably fleshed out repertoire and a charge move adds an interesting risk/reward to the proceedings.  Bonus stages mix things up now and then too - I do like an early 90s smash-the-car kind of diversion.  Animation is very good but the character design is a bit lacking imo.  There are stages set on streets, in lifts and on top of trains, and it's fairly standard stuff if you were to strip out the gore, but it's agreeably OTT in places which managed to do some heavy lifting for me.  Turns out I can't be bothered to type much about this one, but I definitely liked it and I can see why it's considered a strong B-tier example of the genre. [4.5 out of 6]

Azjp.gif

89. Metamorphic Force - Arcade (40mins)

Konami's penultimate foray into the world of scrolling beat 'em ups, pre-dating Violent Storm by mere weeks.  I love how much this is a blatant blending of Altered Beast and Golden Axe, even down to the guy who wanders around screen carrying a goodie bag that drops items when hit.  I see you tipping your hat to the goat.  I happen to think Altered Beast is crap, but it's undeniably iconic and the literal beast mode upgrades are put to much better use here.  When you kick off stage one it's a standard two button Konami belt scroller, but grab a golden statue and you'll METAMORPHOSISE into either a bull, panther, bear (I think?) or wolf depending on which character you selected.  This not only unlocks hold attacks and throws, you also move faster and hit slightly harder.  Pick up a golden statue in your second form and you'll whizz around the screen dishing out heavy damage.  Beast mode gradually depletes, as does your main health stock, which is a mechanic I've never really been keen on in these games.  By all means have the animal power run out, but leave my health bar alone unless I get hit you money grabbing bastards.  It's irrelevant for an emulated run-through anyway, so I still had plenty of fun with this, but it gets a Robert Patrick finger wag anyway.  If anything this is even more vibrant than Violent Storm, and although the music is a bit half-baked/cheesy it does most of the things you'd expect from the genre.  It's impressively nippy too, which I tend to like in belt scrollers IF they can keep a weighty feel to the combat, which this just about does.  I got a bit of a Thundercats vibe from it, especially the enemy designs, and I assume it just took aim at a cross section of Saturday morning cartoons.  It's a lower B-tier but absolutely worth a bash in co-op for fans of the genre anyway.  [4 out of 6]

Worth it for the amusing colosseum backdrop for one of the boss stages - it goes for a wrap-around effect and fumbles it in an admirable but ham-fisted attempt to do something snazzy. 

tumblr_oxzubvisBI1roqda3o1_640.gif
  • 90. Terror of the Hemasaurus - Switch (<2hrs)

Love letter to Rampage from the guy behind the genuinely good Super Blood Hockey, who's clearly partial to a retro inspired pixelated bloodbath. I was never a massive fan of Rampage, so it's impressive to see a reworked indie game that bolts enough enhancements to the basics to make an homage that's worth playing, even for players on the fence with its inspiration. The ability to kick and grab/throw the tiny humans (as well as eat them to regain health) adds a satisfactory arcade loop to the proceedings that, bizarrely, I felt was missing from the actual arcade loop of the original.  I borrowed it once on Master System, but simultaneous two player mode aside it was never a CLASSIC I was too impressed with.  There's a lot more actual game here, and more scope for having fun while smashing stuff up.  

This frames the destruction as an amusing global warming warning, with brief (and skippable) cut-scenes that don't outstay their welcome.  It's short, and it's surprisingly easy for the most part, but it's definitely a romp.  I think I paid £8, which was 30% off the standard asking price, and that felt about right for an [8] I reckon.  Despite the fact that it's a copycat effort there aren't many similar games out there, and if you're looking for a well made short afternoon's entertainment that hits the marks it aims for you could do a hell of a lot worse than this.  Stick it on the watchlist and nab it at 50% off in a month or so (@drewmerson) and you'll be laughing.  I didn't even play it in co-op (it's not suitable for Tilly as it contains almost all of the swears), and I'd be willing to bet it's a better experience in mp.  

7f866b16f60a42837993c9d2bfb014ee2badb80c.gifv

91. What the Bat? - PSVR2 (4-5hrs)

VR side hustle from the What the Golf? devs that that does most things quite well but never makes a concerted push for greatness.  I had fun with it on the whole - at times it's brilliant - but it recycles so many ideas en route to the credits that it definitely feels less consistent (and consistently varied) than WTG.  Some of the one-shot ideas fall flat, and a few of what you might expect to be one-shot ideas make a reskinned reappearance ten stages later.  I'll echo my complaints with Storyteller a month or so back, which was a similarly solid idea executed in a slightly underwhelming way: this needed a longer gestation period at the whiteboard stage, and more time spent brainstorming ideas.  There's no need for events in something like this to dip below a [7] imo.  There's so much scope for messing around with the core mechanics that any even slightly iffy suggestions should have been rubbed off the board, rather than programmed into the game.  If this was all gold all the time it would be superb, but it's happy with a swing and a miss taking up maybe a third of its overall length, which just isn't cricket.  It's things like this where I'd say 'be more Nintendo' would be pertinent advice, but you could easily replace Nintendo with Team Asobi there.  Just keep the batting average high, innit - hold your horses and create a labour of love rather than an undercooked package based on a good idea.    

Having the pun as the level name when you select it rather than popping up as you hit a flag a la What the Golf hurts the experience more than it should too.  There was something about success coupled with the sweet gratification of a pun that felt perfect in WTG.  I enjoyed that game, and all rounds of DLC, but it only truly got the hats off reaction for its God-tier punnage and competitive co-op mode.  The TLDR is that this is good, but that feels like a bit of a shame as it could/should have been great with slightly more stringent quality control.  There's free DLC on the way, so waiting for a post-update sale would probably be my advice - in my experience you occasionally find that devs produce their best work after they've completed the main set of stages, once they're properly au fait with what makes the whole thing tick, Octo Expansion/The Delicious Last Course/Finding the Flowzone style.  Not bad, but not a game to help justify the expense of a VR kit. [6]

It definitely wins the award for the most shameless Shinning style rip-off of the Star Wars score ever for its *spoiler* space stages (which are actually very good).  We've all heard dozens of cheeky SW musical homages before but this takes the (travel) biscuit.  

GIF+for+press.gif
  • Part 1: Games 1-3 (Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales)

4. Vaporum: Lockdown
    5. BABBDI
    6. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
    7. Roadwarden
    8. Vermintide 2
    9. Pistol Whip (VR)
    10. NieR Replicant
    11. JETT
    11. Resident Evil 8 (VR) 
    12. Lost Judgement 
    13. Railbound
    14. Destiny 2
    15. Odin Sphere: Luftrauser
    16. Ni No Kuni: Cross Worlds 
    17. Doom Eternal
    18. Resident Evil 4
    19. Tchia 
    20. Scarlet Nexus
    21. Gran Turismo 8 (VR)

Note to self to write-up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why not?
  • 16: Fight Night Champion (Story Mode) (PS3) 8/10

This game needs to come back!  But since it's probably not, and I didn't want to spend $20 on rebuying UFC 4, which I thought was just okay for reasons I can't remember, figured I may as well play this old PS3 download again.

I stuck to the story mode, and the story's pretty decent and the sort of thing that you'd expect.  It could exist in the Rocky extended universe but it's a bit clunky on PS3.  Like there's a goodlooking lady that I think the main character is supposed to have the hots for but it doesn't go anywhere.  I think in PS3 days kissing in-game characters just looked scary so they probably wanted to scrap the romantic bits.  But there are plenty of baddies who have it coming and you get to give them a hiding (especially the bareknuckle prison rules bit.  Those white supremacists all have super punchable heads).  It's good fun

Plus it teaches you how to box in a more rounded way; there's bits where you'll be hurt and have to go all out on defence, or a bloke might have a thick head and you have to wear him down with body punches.  The boxing itself feels really good and I was surprised at the muscle memory from the right stick + shoulder buttons layout.  Haven't played it in years but it still made sense.  Much like the story it is a bit clunky with a frame rate that isn't perfect but it's not much of an issue, especially at my low skill level.

I remember the slow motion replays being a big deal back in the day and they still look really good.  It's one of the few games where I'm happy to sit back and watch my handiwork.  Some big hits can look brutal.  Admittedly others look like the bloke's taking a dive but they generally do a great job of giving the punches a bit of oomph.  

The story's pretty short but it did hit the spot.  I do wish it had a bit more pizzaz, and they really missed a trick with the training.  You just do combos on a heavy bag, wtf.  Where's the montage?  Come on.  Hammer X to pull a tractor through a muddy paddock, L1 + R1 to flip over a big tyre, O to reconnect with your long lost son and shit like that.  Missed opportunity.  Other than that though good stuff.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nice. I installed that on my Series S a few months ago (had it on 360 originally iirc). I love slightly crappy bolted on stuff like that. I should play Journey mode on Fifa really, I got halfway through a season out on loan on the first one and got sidetracked. Never got my revenge on Danny Williams for mugging me off.
  • You got unfinished business there mate!

I never played that one, but yeah I'm a sucker for this kind of thing too. I swear I remember ages ago you could just get the FIFA Journeys on digital stores but I can't find anything at the moment...
  • I'm pretty sure you could because I remember considering a bundle at one point.
  • Maybe a music licencing issue?  Oh well - I just did a quick look online and you can get Fifas 17 18 and 19 $6 for the lot from my local EB!  So that's always an option.

That's something to think about next month though it's Zelda day today!  Long day of work coming up...
  • 92. Panzer Dragoon Remake - Switch (45mins)

I've already played this once and gave it a 6.  I think I was trying to judge it as I might judge a new game, which isn't really fair because it's not; optional control choices aside it's pretty much just a reskin of a game that appeared when 3D games were only just starting to find their feet on consoles.  I don't think the £25 EShop asking price helped much either, even though I only paid £6 iirc.  Anyway, it's £2.24 at the moment, and of equal importance is the fact that this has been patched into its gladrags since launch.  I definitely played it after an update of sorts in 2020, as I remember there being a performance mode that apparently wasn't there for the day one full price release (lolgutted, megafans), but in its current 2.0 splendour it's actually a pretty nifty update.  It's nice looking rather than spectacular, but for a small team updating a Saturn title to end with something that could pass for an impressive Xbox 360 game (on Switch!) isn't a bad effort at all.

So it's basically just a nicer looking version of the original game that also plays better thanks to a much smoother framerate.  There are new tunes, but the original score is one of the best of the 32-bit era so I opted for the OG in the menu.  It's no Zwei (which makes it extra disappointing that the confirmed remake of that seems to have gone missing), but it's an iconic rails shooter that's still worth playing.  [7]

Zwei > Saga > Orta > Panzer Dragoon Remake > Panzer Dragoon > Panzer Dragoon Mini

• Oh yeah, I boughted this recently too. Nice.
  • I heard the same team were remaking Zwei.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!