52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • 103. TMNT - GBA (2hrs)

I couldn't sleep Saturday night and ended up playing most of this in a tent at 3am, which wasn't planned.  I enjoyed this at the time of release, and I think I gave it another shot on the Micro a few years ago, but after a recent Shredder's Revenge replay (and before the surprisingly neat looking movie arrives) I thought I'd get some more Turtle time in.

It's not as good as I remembered, unfortunately.  Possibly because the genre has made a bit of a resurgence in recent years so 'pretty good' doesn't cut through as much mustard as it did in 2007 (when belt scrollers were on life support).  It's fine, but the combat is basic and the currency/shop system doesn't really work.  You collect money per stage, and I'd guess the devs planned to make this a River City Ransom/Scott Pilgrim type in the early stages of development, but there's no real point to it after you've bought the wall jump, which bizarrely seems to be the only unlockable move.  After that you can only refill your life bar in a hub area that doesn't seem chock full of peril, or buy boosters for attack/defence etc that can only be equipped one at a time.  I'm probably missing something, but I just didn't understand the point of the consumable HP stuff as it gets used as soon as you purchase it.  There's XP in play too, although there didn't seem to be a huge amount of difference between a playable character at level 1 or maxed out at level 3.  Buddy moves are a thing, but they were annoying for me as it shared one of the same inputs as my save state shortcut, so whenever I saved my game I used up any brotherly assistance I'd been building by accidentally triggering the tag move.  Characters are graded on strength, defence, speed and stamina, and I don't see how stamina affected anything so it looked like a dead stat to me.  It probably wasn't, and there's an entire combat level that passed me by, but much like the shop stuff earlier; to be fair I don't care [SlavenBilic.gif]

Areas are reused a little to often for my liking, and there are only half a dozen or so enemy types throughout the whole thing.  I'm not familiar with the particular TV show this one is based on, so maybe there's an element of 'omg I can't believe it's that guy!' to the bosses/grunts for true fans.  Overall this is fine, and mostly plays quite well, but it was a disappointing realisation that it's really not as good as I remembered.  [3 out of 6
  • 104. The Excavation of Hob's Barrow - Switch (6hrs)

A very British point & click adventure that sits somewhere between a 1970s BBC adaptation of an MR James short story and The (Woowar) Wickerman.  It's yet another genre that was very briefly my favourite as a kid - along with Vs fighters, JRPGs and 'action RPGs' - mainly thanks to schoolmates who let me play The Secret of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer on their Amigas.  Mind blown as a console only gamer; I remember being particularly envious of Full Throttle in magazines.  The obsession was short lived though, and 30yrs later I've really not played that many others.  A good handful not starring Guybrush - Broken Sword/Sword II/Age, the good half of Lair of the Clockwork God, Procession to the Calvary, Backbone, The Red Strings Club (if it counts) - a few then, but definitely not gazundles.  It was clearly just a fad for me, but the OG Monkey Island will always be bobbing around my top 20 games ever, and I was very happy with the recent return to form of Return to.

I saw this in a PC Gamer review at work a while ago, popped it on the watchlist at launch on Switch, and foolishly ignored it until last weekend (when I realised I was being silly).  It's £13.99 full price, and it hasn't budged since release, but if it had released at £19.99 I definitely would've snaffled it at 25% off.  So I had a word with myself for being a sales obsessed moran and bought it.  Note to self: no-one gives a shit, stop starting reviews with discount waffle.

Stuff about the actual game: I'm happy to report that the adventure mostly lived up to my expectations.  It's perhaps a little too reliant on optimistically revisiting areas to find something new at times, and the third act puzzles take a turn for the worse imo (before the wrap up pulls it back), but it absolutely nails the feeling of insular, pervasive dread.  Set in the fictional northern English town of Bewlay in the late 1800s, you take charge of a young antiquarian named Thomasina Bateman who has received word of the titular barrow.  Barrows (and excavations thereof) are very much her jam.  And also her bread and butter - she's writing a book about her experiences.  So what's a barrow, I hear you ask?  It's like a mound of earth raised over a burial ground of course, everyone knows that [*stares disparagingly at my slightly younger self*].  From the outset it's clear that Thomasina is due to come a cropper whether you like it or not, as the game opens with her writing a letter to her mother, and the set up for what unfolds as you play is pretty much 'this is how it all went wrong'.  Which is great in this instance, because it sets up a complete story that builds to an agreeable payoff, rather than offering multiple choices that lead to multiple endings (which players like myself will never bother with), or worse, presenting the illusion of choice while all roads end up at same destination.  Much like Nintendo themselves she's essentially doomed, and it's your job to piece together the how/what/why's.  Which isn't always the simplest of tasks as the locals clam up whenever you mention the barrow.  It's very traditional in its point & clicking, without ever being truly obtuse (one solution aside - which was something I only tried after exhausting pretty much all other possibilities), and I'd say it errs on the simpler side for the most part.  Which is a good choice for a modern P&C without a hint system, imo.  It's easy to complain about fetch quests in most other genres, but you'd be hard pressed to moan about errands, chain of event checklists and suchlike in this type of game.  There's plenty of to-ing and fro-ing ofc, plus all the usual combining of inventory items and dialogue choices to chip away at.  There aren't a huge amount of areas to visit, even once the destinations have mostly opened up, which works in its favour as these games can start to wobble when they overwhelm the player.

It has a very different sense of humour to the Shafer/Gilbert games, but despite the general dark horrowfulness there's lightness too, chiefly provided by the irascible townsfolk who mostly want you to fuck off back to London and aren't backwards in coming forwards (provided you start the conversation).  THERE'S NOWT FOR YOUR SORT HERE, etc.  There's some great dialogue, backed up by strong voice acting on the whole.  Overall it's easily one of the best games I've played in the genre.  I loved Bewlay and its inhabitants, and the folk horror tale it tells had me on the hook too.  Atmosphere is key here, and I drank it in.  Highly recommended.  [8]

There are a couple of issues with the Switch port.  X is supposed to bring up your inventory but it often doesn't, so you have to move the cursor to the top of the screen anyway.  No big deal - it's easy enough to pretend there's no shortcut - but definitely a glitch that should have been ironed out by now.  Plus it can be tricky to get the analogue sticks to behave properly when you want to highlight a tiny item that the cursor insists on sweeping past multiple times....

slap2.gif?t=1686225930

INCANT_GIF.gif?t=1579785471

Couldn't choose between the gifs so both will have to do.
  • 105. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Knuckles - Mega Drive (3hrs)

Two good games combined to make one magnificent 16-bit epic.  As standalone experiences they're both A-tier Sonic, but together they create something that's really quite special.  This wasn't just artificial lengthening either; Sonic 3 was designed with the expansion in mind (or probably more likely, a single game was split in two during development due to a decision made by order of The Management - I expect ERE can clear this up).  As a kid I remember being confused by a particular set of rocks on Angel Island That neither Sonic nor Tails could break through.  When the third adventure arrived it wasn't known that a pseudo sequel was due later in the same year, afaik, letalone that its stages were all built with differing character abilities in mind.  Pop S3 into the top of the Knuckles cart, select Knuckles, and you could burst through those rocks with his glide bash, which led to a previously inaccessible area.  In terms of level design I don't think these two games get enough credit really - they really are peak multiple route Sonic, with some strong variations to the standard gameplay contained within its varied stages.    

I'm forever changing my opinion on the best 2D Sonic.  2 is OG Sonic perfected, Mania is a wonderful example of how to do almost everything right by expanding on choice cuts selected from the best of the originals, but this is a monstrous achievement for a 16-bit game and perhaps deserves the most credit?  Maybe my favourite is whichever of the three contenders I played last.  We'll go with that then, because I'm currently thinking this the true S-tier goat.  Visually it's the prettiest MD Sonic, looking absolutely fantastic from start to finish.  The music is great, and while perhaps not quite up to Sonic 2 standards when push comes to shove, individual stages within the levels themselves have rearranged tunes, which earns it extra points for effort.  The fact that the mysterious Jacko stuff was omitted from Origins is the reason why I wouldn't entertain the idea of buying it (coupled with what I thought was a ridiculous price for an early 90s retro collection in the first place).  Pay £35 for a bastardised package missing entire slices of the memberberry pie, or emulate and play as originally intended?  Not a tough choice for me.

More stuff to wrap it up quickly: The main special stages are the best in any Sonic game bar none.  Both the giant ring hunt and the blue sphere collection courses are great, and unlocking both Super Sonic and Hyper Sonic are achievable dangling carrots.  The i-frames jump flash and the set of shield abilities are all superb additions to the standard Sonic format, and aside from the spin dash in no.2 probably the best tweaks to the basics the series has seen since its debut.  The ability to pick Sonic up with a player controlled Tails is neato too, and really adds to the co-op experience (which was often just 'Tails gets left behind' without a reason for Sonic to slow down really).  Quite a few of the bosses are genuinely good.  The series always had its moments with its guardians/mayors, but the average is much higher here.  It's also an absolutely mammoth adventure by MD standards.  Segabois were often treated to short & sweet 6-7 level platformers, compared to the content-crammed wonders of SMW or DKII, so it was great to have an actual whopper to get our teeth into.  I rented Knuckles a couple of times and owned Sonic 3, so the Megazord cart tower adventure was always a treat for a young me.  

I tend to hop between this and Dynamite Headdy as my favourite MD platformer, and going by the 'only as good as its last race' line of thinking I had more fun replaying this over the weekend than I did revisiting Headdy last year.  Ergo S&K+3 is currently king of the MD jumpmans for me.  As a combined double header it gets a big '94 95%.

tumblr_pifiz1llwE1w1kerio1_400.gif

78lazc3vr3i91.gif
  • 106. Spidersaurs - Switch (2hrs)

Contra clone by the developers of Contra 4 (which I haven't played, but I have it on good authority counts as Good Contra), produced by WayForward.  So there's pedigree there, and I reckon I can be forgiven for thinking this might be worth playing.  I knew it looked horrible because I'd seen a trailer, but reviews mostly suggested it's pretty good if-you-like-that-sort-of-thing, and tbh I just fancied a decent 8-way run & gun.  Plus it's 40% off atm...

It turns out the visuals are offensively bad and the gameplay isn't far behind.  I don't want to spend a lot of time dissecting this one, suffice to say it veers close to turd territory on the whole, and you'd have to be pretty desperate to play this ahead of games like Hard Corps Uprising or Blazing Chrome (or the Contra games themselves).  It's basically a lightweight, hideous looking (did I mention that it looks disgusting?), lazy copy & paste of superior games with a terrible selection of weapons and a borked upgrade system.  The character design is awful (it's like Saturday morning TV!  But the kind of shows that were so shit you didn't watch them when you were 9yrs old and there were only 4 channels!), the cutscenes and dialogue are so bad I couldn't sit through a single one, and there are only 5 stages.  To make matters worse, because of the spider part of the title the levels are littered with webs that snag the player and interrupt what little flow there is to the already staccato shooting.  So it's like someone wasn't happy with painfully average layouts and randomly chucked more annoyances on top.  Sarcastic clap time.

I hated this.  I've never claimed my money back on any game, but I'm aware this is a thing with Steam purchases.  If I'd bought this on PC I would've been after a refund for sure, it's that bad.  To make matters worse you gradually unlock the full set of mechanics as you finish each stage (double jump, dash etc), so it doesn't even play properly until the final stage.  Which is crap anyway. Only avoids a [3] due to the inclusion of a co-op mode.[4]

spidersaurs-8direc2.gif
  • 16. Zelda, Tears of the Kingdom - ?? Hours - 8/10 - Nintendo Switch

Yeah…only an 8…there’s no denying how great it is…but it also just feels…very ‘been there, done that, met them’. Wasn’t a fan of The Depths at all and the Sky Islands were interesting but the game hardly ever took you there or made use of them in the main quest. I’ve loved almost every Zelda, and played almost every iteration, but this just didn’t grab be anything like the others. Just too much of…the same.

Yeah it’s systems are incredible, it’s play tested to perfection, it’s beautiful, still full of win in almost every department, especially the Shrines,-the absolute best bits, and the awful Switch Cons made it worse as well to be fair…but at the end, I was kinda glad it was done. If they were gonna use the same map I wish they’d have just filled it in more and made more in that world somehow instead of creating shadows of it.

Still, great game, just not incredible…almost a little let down by it…8/10.

xNI2YT.gif
  • Must admit it hasn't fully grabbed me yet. I forced myself to like BotW, and eventually wore myself down and it all clicked. Wonderful game, but I still would've asked for a traditional 3D Zelda over a BotW sequel. Especially one where the exploration is diluted by familiarity...

I miss the long dungeons designed around a newly acquired inventory item. That's Zelda to me.

• As do I. I loved BOTW and spent an age in that world enjoying what they’d made, would’ve liked something different this time. Plus I don’t mind the breaking weapons, but being without the Master Sword and Shield for so long doesn’t…feel right.

The overfamiliarity damaged this from the start for me as it meant there was no real discovery right from the off…this’ll grab you I imagine dude as it is a terrific game. It’s just it’ll grab you with just the one hand and tell you it needs you and not grab you with both hands and tell you it loves you!
  • I'll take it. It's a ridiculous package, I just need to approach it in a way that's right for me. Unfortunately that probably means rushing through the main quest, but that's how I enjoyed BotW on my first playthrough anyway.
  • I’m not totally loving it if I’m honest. I’ve forgotten the layout so it’s not the familiarity that’s doing me in either. And choosing to do a giant underground map in the dark with a system not really capable of pulling off a half decent lighting solution is very wtf to me.
  • Bugger it!  I'll give it a full blown 10 then.

21: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) 10/10

Not to say I thought it was perfect!  It's definitely one of those awesome games where I'd change a dozen things to make it even more awesome.  Mostly little things:
    the text and dialogue is too slow
    you kinda have to fuse weapons, but fused weapons look like a bunch of horseshit
    the swordfighting is so-so
    ...look i'm not getting any younger, and (at least for the mainline story missions)... just bloody tell me where to go.  Cut this 'having to work it out for myself' bullshit out
    the create a vehicle stuff is fantastic, and fun to look up in videos online, but I wish you could get a few proper vehicles over the course of the game.  Like towards the end I pretty much avoided the sky islands unless absolutely neccessary since I couldn't be bothered figuring out how to explore them
    you need a button that just automatically hoovers up loot.  Like why would I NOT want that bomb flower?  Just let me automatically get shit within like a 10 mitre radius

But on the other hand!  There's some bloody good shit too!  More of it in fact!
    can't get enough of the graphics, this is some amazing shit for Switch, and I hope the Zelda movie looks like this.  All the different species look so cool.  The colours, the lot.  Sounds great too though admittedly there were plenty of nights I was listening to podcasts or rock music, what with this being a open world game and all
    love that it trusts you to just get on with it, even if it means missing stuff for a while.  Like i didn't even get all my magic moves until over halfway through because I was doing my own thing for the most part.  You can still work your way through and come up with your own solutions.  Fuck it if you're going open world, go hard I reckon.
    great story told similarly to the previous game I think?  It has been a while but I thought it worked well, piecing shit together in whatever order you come across stuff
    Bow fighting is awesome!  I didn't get too creative with the powers and looking at videos I missed a lot of fun.
    I prefer the countless little dungeons to the few big ones layout
    Exploring is always fun, so many nights I would be planning on doing something and just get sidetracked with whatever I ran into on my way there

I'm up and down on the depths, in that I like the idea of it, it's creepy and hard to get around, I like the atmosphere and trepidatious exploring, but with that said I didn't find too much worthy of note down there?  May well have missed the best stuff

It's the sort of game I imagine I'll be looking up online and always thinking about replaying, though the sheer size of it means I probably won't, at least for a few years.  100 hours just melted away, in a good way.

22: Metal Slug 2 (PC) 7/10

I liked this better than 1.  Lots more variety in locations and enemies, plus I was more used to the old school shooting/no proper aiming stylings.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I've only played MS3.  I was terrible at it so needed the 99 credits option, but it's a good'un.  I checked some online lists and 3 is generally considered the best.  It's definitely one of the nicest looking games I've ever played.
  • 107. El Viento - Mega Drive (1hr)

Lesser-known B-tier MD platform shooter from 1991 that earns extra fondness points from me as it was among the first 16-bit games I owned.  It's not likely to bowl anyone over as a first time experience in 2023, but it's aged better than similar early-ish MD releases such as Strider (1990) and Alisia Dragoon (1992) imo.  It's no Revenge of Shinobi of course, and it's never been good enough to rub shoulders with the likes of Castlevania IV while keeping a straight face, but it was a cut above most of its peers at the time.  I'm pretty sure we covered it when the retro club was swinging and general feedback had an 'it's okay' vibe, iirc.  The graphics are strong - despite some very strange pixel art choices - with a large, well animated (and responsive) main character, who has an odd crouching sprint move to mix things up a bit.  Plus she turns on a spin rather than a sprite flip (hello Rastan 2) which I always thought was neat as a kid who'd recently upgraded from a Master System. 

The main problem is the fact that you only get one life, and it's unforgiving enough in its early stages, letalone some of the late game screens where it starts to crank up the bullshit.  It's not impossible without save states (*breathes on knuckles, rubs them on chest*), but I wouldn't advise anyone attempting to play this without creating a safety net every 30 seconds or so.  I certainly spammed them this weekend.  

Overall though, despite being slightly ahead of its time - and easy enough to dismiss as 'of its time' with modern eyes - it's still pretty good.  It's a decent length, the music is some of the best of the era (trademark Wolfteam handclaps included ofc) and it definitely wasn't something I completed within a week originally.  I've played it since the 90s, but even after Sunday's session I still don't know what the diamonds you can occasionally collect do, and I can't find the answer online, which probably means It'll remain a mystery forever.  

A good game.  Not a great one, as it's a bit unbalanced and it's too easy to get caught up in things that guzzle the contents of your energy bar in seconds, but a curio worth a squiz.  The partially animated anime cut-scenes felt like Big Tings at the time too, and still look good.  Earnest Evans is in it too, of Mega CD game I never played fame.    

Aha, I've managed to find a gif of the weirdest looking part of the game.  Giant enemy pixeloctupus, anyone?  Yeesh.

tumblr_pv7p7i8RC01roqda3o1_500.gifv

It actually looks great for the most part (and as mentioned, sounds magnificent) but you'll have to take my word for it.  81%
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've only played MS3.  I was terrible at it so needed the 99 credits option, but it's a good'un.  I checked some online lists and 3 is generally considered the best.  It's definitely one of the nicest looking games I've ever played.

I'll definitely get to that one in the coming weeks!  I have 3 and X on Steam so glad to hear 3's the best of them.

Really liking that SNK 2D art.  I've been tempted recently to get SNK Vs Capcom Chaos (which has the Street Fighters done in the King of Fighters style), even though it's supposedly pretty ordinary and I'd only probably play it once.  But damn it looks nice.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 108. Sonic the Hedgehog CD - Mega CD (70mins)

A gap in my Sonic knowledge.  Obviously I wanted this as a kid, but my dad was too shrewd to fund a Mega CD, correctly assuming that something better would come along eventually.  Either I got better at nagging or he got worse at predicting the future, because he green lit my launch day 32X.  Anyway, the early 90s were a busy time for pushing things forward, and in retrospect the Mega CD is a legit oddity imo.  It never did anywhere close to gagbusters, yet seemed to bob along for a couple of years regardless (whereas the 32X clutched its heart and crumpled to the floor after about 3 months).  This mostly received favourable reviews in mags, even though they never failed to mention the travesty of the western soundtrack.  The sprite scaling 'only on Mega CD!' bonus stages looked legit too, plus the future/past hook intrigued.

Approaching it for the first time long after playing the subsequent 16-bit entries (and a smattering of broken biscuit latter day sequels) hasn't done it any favours really.  It's so clearly stuck between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 - despite the late '93 release date - that the complete lack of iconic stages really damages the enjoyment.  At my age I just want to play familiar Sonic stages with familiar Sonic tunes really, not poorly designed visual affronts called Wonky Workbench (an absolute guff stage, unless I approached it wrong), Tidal Treehouse or Quartz Quarry.  The Metal Sonic race level is rubbish too.   I didn't realise that Metallica Madness was a CD stage originally, so I'll give this a certain amount of kudos for the tiny Sonic bits (with added notes stating that they were miles better in Mania).  It doesn't help that the devs seem to have leaned into the tight tubes side of Sonic design, with lots of claustrophobic mid-speed passages that make a good chunk of the game feel a bit like the crappier sections in Casino Night Zone.  For all the music chat in the mags I was underwhelmed on the whole too, having opted for the Jpn tunes as such a big deal was made about their awesomeness.  They're not bad - some are pretty good tbf - but it rarely sounds like Sonic to me, plus they're all noticeably way too short for the length of the levels and seem to fade out and repeat a couple of times per stage.  I guess this stands out more because they're not in the traditional chiptune style?  There's plenty of faux record scratching and achingly early 90s commercial Hip-to-the-Hop stylings to a few of the tracks, to the point where it sounds like a proto Jet Set Radio at times, but not in a good way.  It's all very 1993 'Segacool' anyway.  Mileage may vary on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the western tunes were a better fit in hindsight.

I was well over halfway through before I accidentally triggered a timewarp, which I'd been led to believe was integral to the game's shtick.  I think the gist is that if you go fast enough for long enough after running through a time signpost it warps you to a future/past version of the stage?  Neat in theory, but it felt a bit odd.  The music changes, the visual style changes and I assume the layout changes, so it definitely felt weird to have it tucked away behind a tricky-ish speed requirement (I guess if you know what you're doing you won't run straight into a wall of spikes, but that's not how it played out for me).  It doesn't look great either - all the stages smacked of something from the cutting room floor to me.  Like someone datamined(?) an early Sonic 2 cart and found traces of jettisoned ideas.  It turns out the special stages I used to salivate over in mags control like a disastrous OG Mario Kart clone - or like a homebrew 16-bit version of Sonic R, perhaps - and I think I might even prefer the rotating bonus levels in the original game (which I hated).  They reused the idea to good effect in Sonic Mania, but the OG UFO hunt is naff.  There's a spin dash, but it seemed half broken.  To make matters worse Sonic generally doesn't feel quite right to control either, with an over-reliance on backtracking for run-ups to the point where even Kate would be bushed after tackling any sort of gradient.    

On an overall Sonic 2D tier list I'd probably have this above Sonic Spinball but below Sonic Pocket Adventure.  An only partially adjusted for inflation 73%.

sonic-cd-sonic-the-hedgehog.gif
  • 109. Monomals - Switch (3.5hrs)

Quality little checkpoint course/music maker hybrid with bundles of inventive charm and a strong 'Nintendo' feel. Not necessarily the real Nintendo though; the one you might think of when describing a certain type of game (such as this one!). The Big N's EShop only offerings aren't exactly plentiful, and while they're mostly decent (The Stretchers, Box Boy/Box Girl and Part Time UFO spring to mind) there are some duffers too (the wonky Good Job, for example, and I cant say I thought much of the Game Maker Garage demo). There's a strong average to the multitude of short stay mechanics here, and they tend to feel intuitive as soon as they're introduced.

It's a surprisingly polished experience, but some issues have slipped through the cracks. It crashed on me twice, and the checkpoint resets occasionally leave you without key items, necessitating a full stage restart. It didn't happen often, but it happened often enough to put me in 'please don't glitch' fingers crossed mode during any longer level.

The music maker element is good - according to Tilly anyway, who quickly lost interest in the main game but encouraged a full completion from me so she could buy certain effects with accrued coins. The main event is tricky in places but really doesn't put up anywhere near as much resistance as some of the reviews suggest. Not that there are many reviews out there, it seems to have got lost in the vast sea of indies. In terms of checkpoint stuff it's definitely on the easier end of the spectrum, which suits it.

Overall it's not quite outstanding, but it's much closer than I would've been satisfied with, and at 50% off I'm having this as one of my most rewarding bargains of recent years. One of those weird indies that has all the hallmarks of something that should rightfully be a bit more popular. Good stuff. [8]

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cotcmiwqikghqwm7j95na6sj8jrevx21pnpozb4c&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
  • 110. Bramble: The Mountain King - Xbox Series S (4hrs)

3D Puzzle platformer in the Little Nightmares mould.  If you've played the LN games you know roughly what to expect - slightly weak set-piece gameplay segments propped up by a wild grim horror tone.  You control Olle, whose sister Lillemor strolled off into the woods at night.  If it wasn't for the rampant visual imagination on display these games would be bad aids, but the vibe does so much heavy lifting in both I tend to forgive wonkiness as soon as I stumble over the next checkpoint line.  It's a very strange appeal, and it's hard to explain how quickly 'thank fuck that bit's over' makes way for something approaching fond memories of a given section, but that's exactly what happened here, numerous times.  I find something incredibly moreish about such simple games dressed up in such ghastly aesthetics, which I guess makes me the modern equivalent of what used to be known as a graphics whore.  There are so many insta-fail gameplay stretches where one botched attempt is enough to start the forehead vein throbbing.  Then of course you rush the second and third restarts in an attempt to get the tedium out of the way quickly, die again through carelessness and find yourself needing to take it slow to break the vicious cycle.  Annoyance example: early on the game teaches you that you can only hide in long grass, but then expects you to realise that the rule is broken a couple of hours later (which resulted in one of the most irritating sections of the game for me).  Checkpointing feels a bit miserly in places too, considering the rote nature of progression and the hit & miss interaction.  Every time your character is supposed to breathe a sigh of relief I guarantee most players will breathe a louder one, on account of not having to go through a particular set of motions again...and yet it still manages to appeal on the whole.  I've spent enough time failing to explain it really, so I'll just shrug and move on. I don't know why it works.

This looks quite nice on the whole.  It's not on the same visual level as the Nightmares, but for an indie game there's enough panache on display to satisfy me.  It loses a few points for the slightly wooden, gormless looking human character models though - a bit more care spent animating Olle would have done wonders for the overall look, I'd wager.  There are plenty of interesting attempts to frame the action and guide you towards your next point of interest, but soft focus and canted angles can only do so much, so you will die a few times attempting to take the wrong route.  Rumble grumble: needless rumble is a pet peeve of mine, and slowly climbing ladders while the pad mimics your character's feet touching each rung strikes me as silly.

The relentless grimness deserves its own paragraph really.  I did initially wonder whether this would be suitable for Tilly, but thankfully Googled the PEGI rating before suggesting a tagalong playthrough (17+).  I thought I knew roughly what to expect from the whole Grimm style fairy tale stuff, but I was wide of the mark by a mile.  This makes Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons look like The Littl' Bits.  One scene genuinely reminded me of Irreversible, I kid you not (no, not that scene - the other one).  There's a brutally unexpected resolution to a particular quest and the whole thing is about as 'mature fairy tale' as it gets (without crossing over into 'mature' fairy tale territory...).  Even the way the main character coughs is distressing. 

I did like it on the whole.  For all its faults it's one of the more memorable attempts at this sort of thing that I've played and although it's very frustrating to push through it's ideal Game Pass fodder.  A couple of sections are genuinely good btw, so it's not all jank punching above its weight.  Drake meme: £26.99 nope, 'free': yep. Worth a look. [6]

IMG-20230629-WA0013.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Great resolution for the SeS
  • Came for the review, stayed for the photo <3
  • 20. Firmament [6]
    The new thing from the makes of Myst, Riven etc. Colourful vistas and industrial sized puzzles. It's quite smart, but also quite dull when you're having to shift all this big machinery around, and some of the logic is a little off.

21. Amnesia: The Bunker [8]
    Genuinely nerve-wracking horror game in the vein of Alien: Isolation. The single, insta-kill monster feels like a constant threat even when it's not visible, and the save system, which is limited to a central safe room, makes for some tense return journeys each time you venture out into the bunker. Light is your friend and noise is your enemy, and you're constantly having to consider both as you improvise your way around traps and locked doors.

22. Trepang2 [7]
    Mid-2000s FPS action with an extra bump of modern scale and spectacle. Bullet time, dual-wielding shotguns, chucking enemies towards their mates with a live grenade attached, and so on. It's loud and chaotic and evil grin inducing. What's missing is much of anything else to pin the one-note violence together. It doesn't really know what to do with itself in the downtime between scraps. It's also far too edgy and serious for such an absurdly OTT experience.

23. Oxenfree [7]
    A flawed experiment in game dialogue that feels like a valiant effort even though it doesn't always work. It's easy to get hung up on the times when conversations overlap or cut off for no good reason, but the flow of interactive chat overall is superior to most games, and the writing is pretty strong. Makes for an absorbing, if uneven, spooky teen adventure. I'm hopping onto the sequel right after, so it'll be interesting to see how the experiment has been refined in the last 7 years.
  • 111. X-Men - Arcade (40mins)

Konami arcade game from early 1992.  I only ever played this once iirc, but I was suitably impressed.  It looked good, sounded great and had X-Men in it.  The only comics I've ever really read are Superman, TMHT and (a couple of years later) Robocop Vs Terminator, but even I knew X-Men were cool.  You get to choose from Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler or (*checks notes*) (*checks notes again*) Dazzler.  They're all more or less the same given that it's a three-button brawler with no real need for the third button, but their specials vary in usefulness.  I cycled through each one as I credit fed my way to the credits, and no-one felt particularly OP/crap.  It's basic stuff, with no run move or weapons to pick up, which means it's standard Konami fare for the time (plenty of gloss, good use of the license, a bit annoying).  Gameplay-wise not much stood out as far as 'I must mention that when I review it' goes.  The jump is odd as it propels you forward even if you're not moving, but that's fine really because who uses a standing jump in these things unless motorbikes are whizzing from left to right?  You can batter prone opponents too, which isn't a given for the genre.  Sampled speech is amusing.  Magneto has some choice cuts at the end but my favourite was easily a boss called Wendigo who occasionally shouts "Wendigo!"

The 6-player set-up sounds rad, given that it uses some sort of dual screen mirror image trickery - I'm pretty sure it was a 4-player cabinet I played as a kid though.  There was an XBLA/PSN rerelease, which was basically just a straight port with online functionality.  According to the Wiki it had drop-in online co-op on both consoles, much like Castle Crashers (and the TMNT release?), which makes it extra annoying to me that so many modern releases in the genre seem to not bother with any of that and only offer local play.  Even SOR4 - which had about as much budget & fanfare as belt scrollers possibly get - is capped at 2 players online, as I found out recently.  Which is weak.  The Turtles love seemed to drop off quick after launch but (teething problems aside) that game got it right - you can even drop-in/out on the Netflix version.

[3 out of 6] for this one I think.  I'm probably being harsh but I didn't love it.  I would have happily shoveled all the 20p's I could get my hands on into it at the time though.

Cmif.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @LivDiv :eyes: tumblr_ndamdisMTW1rcy80ko3_400.gif

Just seen this.
    Bloody hate them things. Love that zone though, shame the music changed in Origins.

OG music always reminds me of this.

• I can hear it.  Obie Trice has to be up there with celebs who disappeared completely.  He was huge for a couple of years.
  • 20. Mega Man 11 (Switch) - 6hrs 

Fantastic return to form for the blue bomber. I've not played a ton of games in the series, but I have completed 2 and X that seem to be the most highly regarded, and I'd put this right up there with them.

I think the levels are very well designed, and they're a lot longer in length compared to the older games, packing a decent challenge.

The game introduces a Double Gear system. One is called Speed Gear, which slows everything down to half speed. The other called Power Gear raises the damage you inflict and modifies special weapon attacks. Both of these make the game a bit more manageable, but not in a cheap way.

Graphics are superb and a great upgrade after the somewhat lazy 9 and 10 entries. Only negative is the music, which is usually a high point from the series. Nothing here is bad, it's just a bit forgettable.

Good stuff.

8/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice, thought you'd like that one. I've got no nostalgia for the series so that's probably my favourite of the ones I've played.
  • 112. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - Switch (21hrs 07mins)

Finally got the green light to play this without Tilly slowing me down - we were supposed to be playing pass-the-pad but long battle tactics stuff isn't ideal for that sort of thing and she lost interest.  And then refused to let me plough ahead solo because it's her cart and she wanted us to play it 'at some point'.  She relented in the end, probably because Splatoon 3 and Tears of the Kingdom are similarly backed up.

I loved the original, so much so that I gave it a big fat [9] in the first iteration of these threads:
    Spoiler:

TDLR: fantastic game, shame about all the block pushing.  I enjoyed the Donkey Kong DLC too.

So I was massively looking forward to the sequel, despite being slightly miffed that the grid system had been dropped in favour of an area of movement (in hindsight this really doesn't matter all that much and works very well/in much the same way).  In some respects it's still magnificent, and I really like the core tactics which remain fundamentally similar here.  Team jump/dash damage abilities are still legit, and you can set up some rewarding attack chains with a spot of planning (I merked a ton of baddies with a dash/overwatch combo).  Some of the level design leans too heavily into gimmick over the course of the adventure though, with not enough 'kill all enemies' or 'reach exit zone' stages for my liking, which were the original's bread and butter (there's loads of 'protect this', 'survive X amount of waves', 'destroy obstacles' and whatnot, which doesn't always play to its strengths imo).  The bosses are a smidge weaker too, with nothing on par with the opera scene in the original.  Plus the Sparks system - which is actually a strong addition on paper - offsets the balance of the game a little as there are so many buffs and boosters at your disposal they almost felt like cheat codes at times.  'Unseen' for example, which can last three turns when fully upgraded, turns certain characters into absolute wrecking balls.  It's not hard to roll with a deadly mix of abilities with a little menu tinkering, all of which can be upgraded as you progress.  Whereas I lost numerous battles in the previous game and had to redouble my efforts and plan meticulously, the challenge wasn't really there with this one.  The sparks and this game's equivalent of overwatch (which three characters have) made it feel like I was holding all the aces and only one battle gave me any real bother on standard difficulty.  That's ideal for a Mario + Rabbids game I guess (I'd say the original difficulty was pitched wrong considering the target audience is presumably youngish), it's just not what I expected from a sequel given what came before.  Higher difficulties are there and I didn't choose them even when it became obvious that the campaign wasn't putting up much resistance (even with zero side mission grinding), so it's an odd complaint really.  Perhaps not doing side missions kept it breezier, as enemies in these things have a tendency to level up alongside you, which I've never really liked.  If I choose to grind I want it to give me a leg-up really.

Graphically it's had a weird upgrade/downgrade overhaul.  It seems to run on a different engine and there's more scope to the environments, it just looks a bit more flimsy as a trade-off and lacks the polish of a six year old game.  It doesn't look bad - in places it looks rather nice - but some of the sheen has gone missing.  They've ditched the block pushing for the most part, thank fuck.  The stuff they've replaced it with isn't much better though.  Once again only the actual battling is worth the price of admission, the rest of it is just good intentioned clutter imo.

When I was in the groove it was great.  Grid tactics games are one of the few genres where I don't find myself clockwatching while playing.  I might struggle to put a 2 hour single session shift into most things without feeling the call of a nap, but 3 hours can pass in the blink of an eye if I'm on the hook with something like this.  I'm torn between a harsh [7] or a generous [8], so a coin toss had to settle it - [7].  I couldn't get enough of Kingdom Battle but I don't think I'll bother picking up the DLC for this one unless the price is slashed significantly.  Who really wants to play as Rayman anyway (even in Rayman games)?  Legends and Origins are quality and I had a soft spot for Rayman 2 on Dreamcast, but crazy lifetime sales figures & decent games aside he wouldn't get a seat at the mascot royalty table for me.  James Pond is probably higher on the tier list, and he's just a pun with a gun.  Anyway, this was good but I had my fingers crossed for GotY 2022, and it's definitely not that. 

sparks-of-hope-mariorabbids.gif
  • 113. Moss: Book II - PSVR2 (4hrs)

In 2019 I wrote:

Moss - Playstation VR

A lovely 3D puzzle platformer that benefits from VR, but unlike Astro Bot could feasibly exist without.  It adds to the experience but it doesn't define it.  Quill is exceptionally well animated, to the point where it's a surprise this controls as well as it does (it almost seems over animated, but the interactions remain smooth).  The rest of the visuals are similarly excellent throughout; it's a gorgeous game.  Nice soundtrack too.  When the credits roll the quest is referred to as 'book 1', and I really hope Polyarc get to continue the story as there's a lot of potential to be tapped.  In fact, the game is so short - lovely as it is - that it feels like it ends just as it's warming up.  The in-game clock said 5hrs for me, but that's nonsense.  It jumped from 3.03 to 4.28 a session that lasted just under an hour (I timed it as I had a hunch the clock was acting weird), so I'm not quite sure what's up with it.  Perhaps the devs thought they could pull a fast one?  I'd peg it at maybe 3hrs long, which is why I'm only giving it a [7].  I would've been more generous if I'd played this before Astro Bot, it really is cracking game with some great puzzles but there's just not enough of it, it feels like a game that could've had a hell of a lot more to give with a bit more time in development.

----

Which sounds about right to the new me.  The sequel is better though, and manages to squeeze itself into the [8] zone quite comfortably.  It's similarly short, but back to back they'd make for a terrific whole and I'd recommend this to anyone looking to expand their PSVR2 collection.  It's fiddly in places, a couple of puzzles didn't feel quite right and the combat is serviceable rather than good, but it's still one of the better 3D platform puzzlers I've played, and VR definitely adds to the enjoyment.  There are some marvellous sections in the sequel especially, and some surprisingly decent boss battles.  It's also reluctant to punish the player for failure, with sneaky checkpoints littering pretty much all major skirmishes.  A lovely little adventure.

ezgif-2-26f7354883.gif
  • 114. Splatoon 3 - Switch (8hrs)

Underappreactiated Nintendo sp goodness. There's something about splat-the-territory multiplayer turf war battles that will always leave me cold (ergo I've spent maybe 20 minutes trying that mode across the two games I've played).  The campaign is worth the price of admission though, imo, ymmv.  This one isn't quite up to the standards set by Octo Expansion unfortunately, but it's very good on the whole, and roughly on par with Splat2.  The bosses were slightly disappointing and the final boss was absolutely awful, but the bitesize checkpoint stage stuff hits a high average.  It's a good mix of annoying and easy-ish - there are a handful of areas that might take a few attempts, so it's not a complete pushover.  It felt like a much easier game than its predecessor though; I don't remember being able to pay to continue mid-stage last time around, which makes the whole thing much less troublesome to push through.

It's definitely more of the same, so I can't be bothered to go into it at length.  A very well designed highly polished slightly throwback sp adventure. [8]

big-man-splatoon3.gif
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Out of curiosity, did you play the original Mega CD version of Sonic CD Moot or one of the remade versions?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Japanese version on Mega CD (emulated).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!