52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Approaching the NGP for the first time in 2023 is a little weird, especially as I wasn't sure what kind of standard of games to expect (or more specifically, which console represents the closest equivalent), but based on this I'd say...somewhere close to a [Super] GameBoy Colour, maybe? Anyway, despite the fact that the NGP is regarded as 16-bit HW, I'd say this is a halfway house between 8 & 16, albeit situated closer to 8-bitsville than 16-bitsberg. There's no way this could run on a Game Gear, but for the most part it's a fair way behind Sonic's MD run-outs too. None of this matters really, I just find it interesting.

You are basically correct.

The CPU that was used for the Game Gear (and the Master System) is the same as what was used for sound on both the Mega Drive and the Neo Geo Pocket. The Mega Drive had the better main CPU than the Neo Geo though, and crushed it with RAM with a mighty 64KB compared to the paltry 12kb in the Neo Geo. This was an improvement on the 8KB in the Game Gear/Master System.

The Game Boy Color had a modified version of the GG/MS CPU which was rated for a higher clock speed, but I believe actually ran below for Game Boy compatibility reasons. It sported 32kb of RAM, so half the Mega Drive, but well above the others.

In terms of colour palate, the Master System could handle 32 from 64 colours, Game Gear still 32 but from 4096(!), Mega Drive 61 from 512 and Neo Geo 146 from 4096. 

The Game Boy Colour is weird, theoretically 56 from 32,768, but this isn't a limitation of the hardware. The limit is per scanline, of which the GBC had 144, so by being clever it would be possible to show 8,064 colours on screen at once. I can't imagine a scenario in which this would be useful, so a realistic limit would be much lower. I imagine most devs would have just stuck with the basic limit for the most part.
  • Good stuff Dante. I've got a load of GBC stuff to catch up with now too - I've played a handful of Gameboy games but off the top of my head I don't recall ever playing a GBC.
  • 3. Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (Switch) - 3hrs

A remake of a Master System classic in much the same vein as 2017's Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. Unfortunately this doesn't quite hit the same highs.

On the surface its fine, the graphics and music have had a nice upgrade, and like Wonder Boy you can flick between the new and original styles with the tap of a button.

The problem is the physics are slightly off. Your movement feels a tad too quick and slippery, with the hit detection also suffering.

I really can't tell if it's genuinely bad or if I struggled because of my muscle memory. I forced myself through and actually got use to them, so I guess it is just different instead of bad, but it still feels like a massive shame.

Regardless of that, the extra levels and presentation along with the fact you unlock the Master System ROM upon completetion kinda makes it the definitive version by default.

As a game, it was probably only ever OK at best. There was far better available back in the day, but like most gamers of a certain age I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

6/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, the remake felt a bit off to me.  Not a patch on the Lizardcube Dragon's Trap redo. 
    Your movement feels a tad too quick and slippery, with the hit detection also suffering. I really can't tell if it's genuinely bad or if I struggled because of my muscle memory. I forced myself through and actually got use to them, so I guess it is just different instead of bad, but it still feels like a massive shame.

It's not emulated or based on the OG code, they built the game as an approximation/best effort apparently, which is why even the 8-bit version selectable in DX feels a tad off. 

I had a mate with a NES and MS as a kid and spent weeks of after school visits doing my research.  I HAD TO HAVE Kung-Fu on NES, but I also ABSOLUTELY NEEDED Alex Kidd in Miracle World.  In the end I think the motorbike swayed it and I told papa moot to pull the trigger on an MS.  I tend to get the big calls right.
  • 29. Asura Blade: Sword of Dynasty - Arcade (30mins)

With so many new old games at my fingertips, why not play something I've never heard of? I was menu hopping and hoping for a scrolling beat 'em up when I loaded the ROM, although what I got was a three button 2D vs fighter. I was operating on a strict no backsies rule in that particular moment in time, so I picked a medium sized character with a large sword and steeled myself for the cheapness of a retro fightman single player mode. It's responsive, quarter spins of the stick pop out specials and I landed a few flukey combos. You can't judge something like this on a few dozen rounds against the AI, but I've never let such trivialities get in the way of a bottom line before, so here it is: 3 out of 6, with wiggle room for a - or +1. There's a higher degree of quality here than I was expecting when I started chipping my way through the roster, although it's probably hard to argue a case for this in the face of probably literal hundreds of other one-on-one fighters that time forgot. TLDR: this might be wellgood but I can't be sure. If I had to put my money on it right now I'd say it's closer to legit than shit.

ea834f99d0c9a9bfb29c8da3c274bad77bc51d65.gif
  • Last years record will be smash at this rate
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Easily.  I'm sure there will be plenty of games that could be Moot-finished in say 10 minutes each.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The man's a literal mockery at this point
  • It takes longer to write about some of these than play them.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Particularly when you include googling the right animated gif
  • That's one of the things I like about these retro games - there are always gifs out there. No luck with a fair few modern indies.
  • 30. Pulstar - Neo Geo (70mins)

Interesting looking shump that plays quite well aside from the absolutely outrageous difficulty level.  Battering my way through this with save states was probably one of the toughest tests I've put myself through in recent years.  Each to their own with this sort of thing, but a game this intent on killing the player unless they've memorised every frame can't be anything other than rancid in my eyes, which is probably why I've only ever got on with the genre at arm's length.  I honestly think if you offered me £5k to try to beat this properly within a month I'd just decline on the spot.  Aside from the brutal nonsense of near enough every section past the first half level or so, the checkpoints are set to Ghouls 'n Ghosts levels of fuck you, meaning that one hit from one of the gazillion stray bullets will send you back to the middle of a stage.  It was tricky enough cheating like Billy-o (the 'bring back Billy-o' campaign starts here) and only going back 2-5 seconds to try again; I'd rather pay someone to stick pins in my thumbs than play it in its intended form.  I've literally never been good enough at games to consider something like this possible, rewarding or worthwhile.

I prefer standard pixel sprites but this is easily one of the better examples of the pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country thing that was all the rage for like 18mths, so the graphics get a really big thumbs up despite some of the numerous snazzy effects making it even more difficult to avoid things that kill you.  It sounds great too, and the controls are fine, but none of this matters to me because it's a belligerent cunt of a game and probably the least fun I've had playing anything for ages.  1 out of 6.  Torturous.

102-pulstar-morphing.gif
  • 31. Asterix - Arcade (70 mins)

A game I've always drooled over but never really played properly*, other than time I found the cab in an arcade in Malta as a kid (right next to X-Men, what a day that was).  I was expecting to breeze this on the way to work, but it turns out there are finite continues at your disposal no matter how much imaginary money you pump in.  So after running out of chances midway through the third level I had to start again with my tail between my legs and rely on save states to see all stages.

As belt scrollers go this is on the simpler side in terms of combat, but it throws a few curveballs at you along the way in the name of variety.  They mostly work, and elevate it above the likes of OG Turtles and The Simpsons in my eyes (contemporary bangers that have been hobbled by hindsight).  I guess plenty of people would despise this simplicity - it's light years behind Streets of Rage 2 for example, which was released in the same year, but I love this shit.  I'll play it in two player at some point, but for now the open top bus tour was enough to put a smile on my face.  Lovely graphics, good tunes and plenty of respect for the source material.  5 out of 6, with a massive YMMV caveat.

510asterix.gif

*Before anyone says it, I'm aware that I still haven't played it properly.

Edit: I actually played through a couple of levels of this with a mate a few weeks later, and 5 out of 6 seems pretty high/suggests I was pretty high.  Maybe I've spoilt myself with similar (better) games since, but this really isn't a great game.  Without the Asterix license it'd be bog standard stuff really, and more of a 2 than a 5...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The man's a literal mockery at this point

My thread mantra:

• I've got Asterix on my list. I'm glad you've gone first and found out about the continues. I'm glad it's good as well.
  • 32. A Short Hike - Switch (80mins)

Mum's Night Out Out last night, so Tilly made a to-do list for our evening in that included playing Splatoon 3, drinking proper teapot tea with chocolate biscuits and going for a midnight walk. We went on the walk (albeit at 10pm), ate biscuits (albeit with teabag tea) and did play Splatoon, which is a great game, but some of the challenges are a bit intense for her so she got fed up after half an hour or so. We ended up having a chat about her favourite games ever, and while looking through the tiles on her Switch discovered that she's played A Short Hike for 20hrs. I played it on PC originally and watched her play through it at launch (probably the first game I'd say she completed solo), but she's put the time in solo since and, last night at any rate, awarded it Top Spot Of All Time. No mean feat, considering how much she loves Breath of the Wild, Just Shapes & Beats, Animal Crossing (KillMe.gif), Mario Odyssey, Grounded, Lil' Gator Game, Kirby & the Forgotten Land, Bowser's Fury, Heave-Ho, The Secret of Monkey Island, Return to Monkey Island, Jenny LeClue Detectivu, The Stretchers, Sackboy Adventures, Astro's Playroom, Florence, Olli Olli World, Alba, Toem, Nobody Saves the World, Tinykin, Chicory, It Takes Two and numerous other Tilly [10]'s...

Watching her gleefully explain absolutely everything to me and knowing the island inside out (including shortcuts to get the the summit with minimal feathers) was pretty wonderful tbh. We've not played as many games together recently for one reason or another, so I wondered if her interest was waning (she seems to be into slime at the moment, ffs), but this will go down as one of my favourite daddy daughter gaming sessions ever. It's a big [9] for me, even though I can see the logic behind a [10]; it's a beautiful game all round, never gets old and is as cheap as two portions of chips. Bigfeels gaming at its best.

giphy.gif

33. Onion Assault - Switch (80mins)

Western Mario Bros 2 inspired left-to-right platformer from the guy behind the Gunman Clive games (fun!), Mechstermination Force (almost really good!) and Super Punch Patrol (which annoyed me in sp, but proved popular with a couple of mates during a scrolling beat 'em up evening last year). Controls are a little imprecise, and - as seem to be a developer hallmark of sorts - none of it threatens to knock on the door marked 'top tier indies only', but it's still likeable goodtimes gaming, if slightly throwaway compared to the big hitters.

It's a loose platformer with a run button and the ability to pick up and throw enemies/items (usually onions, unsurprisingly). Level design is decent, difficulty is a little all over the place but again, it's forgivable for one reason or another. The throw trajectory felt spot on anyway. I think it helps if you like this guy's games, and at this stage he's pretty much nailed churning out enjoyable, reasonably priced retro leaning curios that confidently tread water in the not-particularly-deep [7] zone (or thereabouts), so if I see his name attached to anything on the EShop I'll check it out. Bosses are laughably easy for the most part and the game won't last long if you play it cautiously (there doesn't seem to be any reason to tear through stages as there's no reward for speed, no leaderboards or even a points system that I could see), but I wasnt annoyed by the resistance the main stages put up either way tbh. There's a three coin hunt per stage, which is always a welcome addition. I don't think I'll bother though, which isn't necessarily a fault of the game, just my standard approach to post-credits gaming. It's fluff, but it's my kind of fluff, and haters will only hate it if they've got nothing better to do. [7]. I would've liked a separate button for run and throw, not that it mattered much in the end. It's also too easy to immediately throw heavy items after hammering the button to pick them up. Would still be a 7 with these kinks ironed out though.

This one's as cheap as two bags of chips and a pickled onion (-10% for the next week or so).

• 3. Kurukuru Kururin (GBA/Switch) 9/10

A simple idea for a game executed beautifully. You just guide a spinning stick through a maze. There's a bit of story about how the stick is a alien spacecraft but that's easily ignored, if you want. It's mostly kinda easy but gets pretty challenging towards the end, and even through the easy bits you still little challenges you can undertake to make it harder and presumably get some hard stages or the true ending or whatever. I wasn't that good at it, but will probably go back because it's just fun to play and isn't too long.

4. The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA/Switch) 8/10

One of the Zelda's I'd never worried about even though I bought the Rom on Wii U back in the day. Think I'd sort of baulked at playing this due to think it's not a proper Zelda, what with it being a Capcom game, thinking Link's goose hat looked ridiculous, and there not being enough buttons on a GBA. In truth I've always been crying out for more 2D Zelda and I don't think this is too far off Link to the Past.

Firstly the goose hat just looks like a normal Link hat for most of the time. The button problem is only an issue every once in a while and isn't a game breaker. Now I think the first half is pretty ordinarily laid out and there were too many 'go and talk to this 1 bloke in town' bits which were giving me the shits, but it seemed to really find a good rhythm in the back half and you're just using your skills and gadgets to progress through, as you should.

The gimmick of being able to shrink every now and then doesn't really amount to much and it seems (to a large extent) get ignored the further the game goes on. That part gets a bit of a shrug from me.

Bloody nice looking game though with some smooth animations and bright colours.

I don't know if it's a classic of the genre but no doubt I would have been hugely impressed had I played it back in the day. There was a little too much messing around for me to want to go back, at least in the near future, but I'm very glad it came to Switch and it was a good time overall.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I had similar thoughts about Minish Cap, both when I ignored it at launch and when I finally played it three or four years ago. It's not tiptop tier Zelda but it's better than most of the best non-Zelda top down action RPG's (as they used to be known) of yesteryear.
  • Landstalker, Soleil and Story of Thor were my jam as a Nintendoless teen, in that order. Nigel's adventure was probably my favourite game ever at the time but I'd wager Thor has aged the most gracefully out of that lot.
  • I think Tilly and I have just about matching tastes for whimsy little games. Top girl!
  • I gave a Soliel a quick look on an emulator a while back after you mentioned it - thought it looked the goods but I didn't really give it a proper go.  Realistically, my best hope for playing it is if it comes to Switch.  With that said I don't have an excuse for not playing Story of Thor given it's already on the expansion pass.

Haha as a Master System kid I was a big fan of Golden Axe Warrior!  Gee it's a pretty shameless ripoff, but I didn't know and wouldn't have cared.  

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I let Sega Power guide me with that one as a kid, it used to get 2/5 in The Hard Line (my only real source for opinions on older MS games) so I dodged it at the time.  It's definitely one that people seem to remember fondly.  I used to borrow Aztec Adventure, which was a bit ehh.
  • 34. Robocop - Arcade (30mins)

I was behaving like an absolute child yesterday, while awaiting delivery of my SUPER CONSOLE X3 PLUS (replete with 116,00000000 games). Even leaning our the window to ogle a Royal Mail van that was edging closer at one point (which then bypassed my house completely). Serves me right for being out on Sunday I guess, which is apparently a delivery slot these days.

Anyway, instead of moping about not being able to play Robocop - which I've been nurturing an itch play for months now - I decided to test my hacking skillz and load a few ROMs onto my Anbernic R353M. Which meant finding an old external hard drive (and the old fat ended wire that connects to it), resuscitating my ancient laptop, searching for an sd card mini sd card holder, locating the games amongst all the pish on my old HD and flexing my drag & drop muscles while everything intermittently froze and disconnected. I got there in the end, despite the laptop refusing to recognise the RG253M's memory card at random halfway through the pasting process (twice), and eventually dropped all the unzipped mame files I could find into the relevant game folder. And it worked! I'm up roughly 1700 games on the handheld beauty, and they took up just shy of 2GB of space. Yes, I have seven versions of Newzealand Story on there now and only one of them works, but this kind of untidiness doesn't kill me like it would @retroking1981.

So, for anyone still reading, I got to play Robocop! It's an arcade cab monster, almost the definition of wow factor for a young me. Too-loud sampled speech, massive sound effects, excellent animation, the movie theme blaring along as you blast through familiar locales and, of course, a mind blowingly cool main character from an 18 rated film. I think it's fair to say that the goalposts have been moved a little for certain parenting decisions. It wasn't long after I sneakily watched Robocop at a mate's house that I was given the green light to watch it at home (when we rented it from Ritz). I was still in primary school anyway. Such a stupendously violent film, no wonder kids were all obsessed (there was an action figure range too, ofc). No fucking way is Tilly watching it any time soon (not that she'd want to, so those goalposts have probably moved further).

Anyway, even without being viewed through the OMFG eyes of 9yr old me the game is a genuinely playable shooter with the most satisfying punching in any run & gun ever. Even the noise enemies make when anything hits them is perfect. Level one is absolutely iconic imo, and although it runs out of steam towards the end (as it cranks up the difficulty for moar coins) I'm not bitter. Unlike Murphy, who should've quit before he was ahead. 6 out of 6.

f2547de6f2c439663946199492190a79.gif

35. Rastan Saga II - Arcade (35mins)

Not really sure why I played this one. I may have loaded it by mistake after scrolling through the umpteen versions of the first game that are now in my MAME folder. I stuck with it for nostalgia though - the Japanese version of this came with my MD in 1992 (which had to sit on a converter to fit in the cartridge slot because what kind of bastard files the flaps off on such a stunning console?). I remember it being a stinker that I stuck with, but in hindsight I'd say that it's not actually as terrible as its reputation suggestions. Yes, it's a weaquel (I'm inventing new words now but I quite like it so it stays), the combat is sloppy and there are some really shit precise jumps required in half a dozen places, but it's not an abomination. In fact, playing the arcade game has made me appreciate the MD port a little more as it's a decent effort - much closer than Altered Beast or Alien Storm to my eyes.

2 out of 6. It's still crap, don't get me wrong, it's just not fully awful. The poorly animated sprites are too big and it lacks any sort of finesse. It would've been worth a few 10p's in 1988 though.

tumblr_o4njocBFTh1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes, I have seven versions of Newzealand Story on there now and only one of them works, but this kind of untidiness doesn't kill me like it would @retroking1981.

faw52c3h5tk81.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=ca18750b0a1523d2fd2488347a31adf48c6d7630
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That's almost alphabetical but not quite and it's absolutely killing me.
  • It's an odd system he's gone for.
  • A true masterpiece of the art
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 36. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - Arcade (45mins)

This was longer than I remembered, and also a bit better.  I played through it with a mate in my local a few years ago, in the golden era of the dodgy arcade cabinet + celebrity status for Bramble.  In terms of moves it's basically Final Fight with a double tap run and firearms to pick up (and up to three player co-op).  Obviously FF is the more noteworthy of the two but side by side this is the better game imo.  To be expected perhaps, as it appeared four years later - plenty of imitators fell short though.  It's not really a coin gobbler - even the bosses felt fair and the crowds can usually be controlled.  You know how enemies tend to fall over when your character dies and drops back onto the screen in these games?  In this they fall over because your character fires rockets at them, and if you use a continue you return with rockets AND a four shot bazooka.  The carnage is definitely cranked up here compared to most of its peers.  There are dinosaurs in it from time to time, and an enjoyable cadlillac stage where you tear through a level running people over.  I believe it's based on a comic but it's easily bonkers enough to fit in with other bizarre curios of the genre (of which there are many).  The four characters are different enough to warrant their inclusion, and all pretty useful, so I hopped between them whenever I used another credit.  One of them looks like Cody.  One of them looks like Haggar (and even says, I think, 'Deeead Ringer!' when he performs his spinning lariat special).  Interestingly, one of the enemy types is clearly a Blanka, or whatever species Blanka belongs to in the Streetfighter lore, albeit with a long tail (it's quite possible Blanka has a tail and I'm misremembering).

This won't win anyone over who isn't keen on the genre, but for those with an affinity for belt scrollers it's a belter with a strong shout for squeezing onto a top 10 list.  Very good, most boxes ticked, a near masterpiece of the art.  5 out of 6.  

cadillacs-and-dinosaurs-dinosaurs-and-cadillacs.gif

This is what happens when you hit continue, btw:

BriskBrownAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

Chef's kiss on the kisser.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!