52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • 10. Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius (SNES) - 1hr 20mins 

The fourth Parodius game overall and the third and final release on the SNES, or Super Famicom technically as this never left Japan. It is also the only game in the series built from the ground up for the hardware, as oppose the the other two being ports of the arcade games.

It's more of the same, but sometimes that's all you need. Everything here is dialled up from the first two SNES games thanks largely to the inclusion of the SA-1 chip. The title roughly translates to Chatting Parodius Live! which is fitting as there are a large amount of voice samples in the game. I obviously have no idea what he is saying, but there is a Japanese guy shouting quite frequently throughout the game, seemingly commentating on what's happening onscreen. 

There is an option to turn this off so you can appreciate the music, which is very wecome as just like the previous games the music is fantastic, with a remix of That's the Way by K.C. and the Sunshine Band being a highlight.

I'm gonna have to pinch moots gif idea here, just to show off this boss:
    parodius-jikkyu-oshaberi-parodius.gif

Bloody marvellous.

8/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 68. Undercover Cops - Arcade (1hr)

Had a friend round to fill in for Tilly on the belt scrollers while she's on 'oliday.

Solid scrolling beat 'em up with most of the correct ingredients (and a smattering of nice ideas of its own) let down by cheap damage sponge bosses, pacing issues and a final stretch that almost felt deliberately tiresome.  The foundations aren't bad, and it's an interesting looking game, it's just a shame it has so many elements that combine to take the shine off.  I'd literally just finished saying 'the motorbikes don't seem too annoying in this' at the moment where the motorbikes started to get incredibly annoying, and the flying enemies that get rinsed and repeated throughout just aren't any fun to dispatch.  Are they ever in these games, really?  

On the plus side, the massive iron girders are one of the most satisfying weapons to pick up & wallop people with in anything I've played in the genre and some of the enemy design is strong.  An average arcade plodder that was just about worth sticking with, but we were both relieved when the credits rolled.  Metal Slug fans might want to take a look as it's IREM's first attempt at this particular genre. [3 out of 6]

Undercover_Cops_(Arcade)_10.gif

69. Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III - Arcade (35mins)

A bizarre omission from Going Straight (the belt scroller's bible), this was a dual screen arcade cab by Taito released in 1991.  Most opinions I've seen online seem to suggest it's fairly run of the mill hack & slash stuff, and of course it is in the scheme of things, but it's also more fun than I was expecting.  Short and sweet, definitely Golden Axe tier in terms of abilities but that's fine for a 30min playthrough - the bonus stages are mostly fun too.  Plus you can knock enemies down holes to their death, which is always nice. Bizarre that all the the baddies are German and spout plenty of sampled speech throughout, I was happy to go with it though.  I didn't even know there was a third Rastan game until about a week ago, so I'm glad that I've ticked it off the list already.  Considering its age this would have been a decent arcade game.  No idea what the wizard who occasionally popped up and tagged along for a bit up did, or how to summon him (I was quite drunk by this point of the evening), but that didn't seem to matter.  The music was pretty good too.  Scrapes [4 out of 6] because the bosses don't drink coins.  

warrior-blade-beat-em-up.gif

We also played Asterix for a bit, and I've amended my review a few pages back as I was far too generous I think @Monkey. Did not enjoy it in two player.  

70. Spinfrog: All Aboard the Frogcopter - Switch (5hrs)

Kuru Kuru Kururin rip-off that shamelessly pinches all mechanics but does have a personality of its own thanks to the genuinely appealing aesthetic.  The twee approach goes wrong sometimes but this nails the charm offensive, even if frogs talking nonsense and wearing silly hats in a low-poly pastel hued 3D sounds like a bit much.  Even the frankly wonderful soundtrack is a treat, providing a breezy jazz score that sashays between 'Parisian cafe at night' and 'Jerry from Tom & Jerry wearing sunglasses and sipping drinks while relaxing on a deckchair'.  It'll take some beating if I add 'best soundtrack' to my standard round-up awards at the end of the year.  It's just a shame that the gameplay isn't up to scratch.  In places it's fine - in fairness it's great for stretches intermittently - but it doesn't seem to have been designed with any real care given to the curve of its difficulty, and outrageous stages seem to pop up at random to repeatedly burst the fun balloon.  I might accidentally make this sound better than it is on the whole, because I can't help it sometimes, but before you read on it's worth noting that that worst elements of the game are effectively ruinous and I should have had the willpower to bin it more than twice, and just because I'm basking in the glow of completion doesn't mean that I reckon anyone else should put themselves through it.  Fundamentally it's a knock-off that transposes the perfect top down 2D gameplay of its inspiration into a wonky 3D effort where sides/edges are often hard to define and occasionally obscured by geometry anyway.  Which means you'll die a lot when it's not your fault, which means it's doing Kururin wrong.  I suppose it's a bit like playing a lightgun game with pointer controls - it works, technically, but it's not quite right, and for a game this difficult that's all kinds of wrong.

If you've played a Kuru you'll know the basics - guide a spinning object to the goal through maze-like environments without touching the sides.  RB speeds up the spin, Kururin Paradise style, and LB slows the spin down, but the complete lack of an input to speed to your actual movement is a horrendous omission imo.  It's so essential to the fail-to-succeed Kururin core that every death just feels increasingly more irritating without the ability to rush through sections you've already mastered.  Maybe it's just me that plays the Kururin game like this, but I tended to lean on the boost button for most of them.  I never quite got used to not having the ability here, and it means a key template ingredient had been lost in translation.  Slowing the spin is practically useless without faster movement anyway as 95% of the curves here are designed for standard spin speed, so I think I used it once in the whole game.  It didn't help that plenty of the stages felt like they were designed with a burst of speed in mind to negotiate their otherwise insanely precise passages; at least a handful of sections seemed to require you to take a hit to progress.  I had no choice but to suck it up and push on though, because by the time I realised there definitely wasn't a speed up move/probably wouldn't be one coming, I was hopelessly addicted anyway.  As mentioned elsewhere I was supposed to be playing through Metroid Prime for the first time this weekend, but I drifted away and just-one-more-go'd my way through this in two huge sessions.  Why?  I'm not sure.  Partly because the two Kururin games I've played are God-tier for me, and I guess partly because I wanted to see if this was possible/if I could actually do it.  The main problems lie mid-game really, as the first 15-20 stages are decent enough, and the last 15 or so actually felt fine too, but either I just got good at it, or more likely, the middle game is a fucking mess.  You can access a garage from the map screen, which contains various objects to pimp out your 'copter, but I made the mistake of assuming they were all purely cosmetic for the first three hours or so.  When I eventually realised that the moss allows you to scratch the sides a little without losing a heart it seemed to coincide with the levels becoming so difficult it felt like they'd be unpossible without the trinket equipped.  Honestly, there's no way I could've managed it without using the (annoyingly tucked away - or at least not satisfactorily explained) leg-ups provided by the power-ups.  I mostly used the moss, but there's also a lamp that can be used to gradually regain health, and some hot sauce that slows time when you're not moving.  There's also a fourth spot for a trinket I didn't find, which could well be the speed boost I spent the whole game craving but I'm not going back to locate all the hidden exits to find out.             

A [6] then, just, that probably read like a [4] and genuinely dropped to a [3] in a few places (but also fooled me into thinking it was a [7] once or twice).  I've got a problem not recommending budget games I've enjoyed, even if they have more than their fair share of problems, but I wouldn't say this is categorically one to avoid @blue_swirl and @wario.  It depends if you don't mind dipping in/messing around with a game to get your £4s worth, rather than sticking with it to completion.  And if you do stick with it to completion you'll earn some sort of worthless big respect achievement from me.  

Of course there aren't any gifs out there - there's only one review FFS - so here's a soundtrack sample instead.

Srsly, the score is great.  And the graphics are lovely too.  And I did enjoy delivering ice creams to shy cats and homemade jam to bears.  Believe it or not I don't regret sticking with it, but YMMV.
  • That girder swing is massively enjoyable even in gif form.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just bought Spinfrog (I saw it in a stream a while ago and thought it looked cool but didn't realise it was out, so I couldn't say no at the current massive discount). I agree about the Kuruin boost thing - it feels massively off to me and I haven't even played a Kuruin game since I first got a GBA like 20 years ago or whatever it is now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm not even sure there are dozens of us, but welcome. Interested to hear what you make of it, speed boost aside.
  • 9. Dead Cells Return to Castlevania (PC) 9/10

I bounced off the pre expansioned version of Dead Cells quite a while ago; I can't remember why.  It's a really fun to control game with nice looking graphics and the usual moreish rogue just-one-more-go pull.  In any case I came back for the Castlevania crossover and had a tremendous time.  I was surprised and pleased to see how the game is full of indie game crossover bits and pieces, so a crossover with a big revered series like Castlevania feels natural and also feels like a legend tipping their cap in approval.  

I finished it a few weeks ago and one of the things that stick out is how it's rock hard on default but also doesn't mind letting you tweak the difficulty to suit yourself.  I don't mind a rogue or a souls, but I'm not always in the mood of getting my arse handed to me by the final boss, then knowing I'm gonna have to play another hour just to get another shot at it.  Like, at this point I know you can eventually git good at pretty much any game if you play it long enough.  So I was pleased to turn everything WAAAY down and just waltz back into the boss room and give it a proper touch up.  Didn't feel like a hollow victory at all, bugger it.

Lovely game though and plenty more to see and do that I never got to.  I do have a thing with rogues where I'm totally obsessed until I see the credits then the spell is broken, so I'm not sure I'll go back, but I'm not ruling it out.

10 & 11. Resident Evil 4 '23 (PC) 10/10

I'm not sure I can give it 11 Million out of 10 but it's pretty bloody good!  This is one I'd been looking forward to in 2023 and it's about as good as you could hope.  

This sticks real close to the original with the odd change here and there and updates the famously old school controls to what you would expect from a normal shooting adventure game in modern times.  Having replayed the original not too long ago, I only found the controls in that version to suck for the first couple of hours before you get used to it.  But with that said I really appreciated being able to change weapons with the d-pad and moving the camera properly with the right stick.  I did miss Leon's ultra quick 180 trick in this game though!  

Normal controls don't make the game a pushover though, by the time I got to the fight on the way to the bingo game I realised I was going to be finding myself flanked and swamped and (almost) out of ammo just like the old game.  Leon's merely a pretty decent shot, headshots only sometimes work, and ammo is just scarce enough that you're always a bit of bad luck, a bit of a panic, or a poorly thought out encounter away from everything going really badly.

I really like how it keeps a lot of the old fighting tricks, like shooting a thrown hatchet out of mid air, holding off until a few enemies are inches away before blasting the lot of them with a well timed shotgun shot, kneecapping a charging pitchfork lady, or staggering a bloke, running up and delivering a kick to the face/taking him to suplex city.  They really kept the feeling of the old game alive and it stands out.  They also added some new stuff.  The knife's more versatile.  You can parry, stealth kill and instantly kill fallen enemies.  It's super handy but it needs to be repaired from time to time.

The story is famously full of set pieces and it's pretty much as it was back in the day.  It's so well paced.  There's always something awesome happening or about to happen, and it's always a relief when you scrape through a fight and have a quiet section where you can find a little ammo or some herbs, and hopefully spot the purple flames of the merchant, before you're right back into it again.  The last third is still the least great part of the game but it still full of top entertainment.  I think it's just a bit of a generic setting.

There's really not too much wrong with it.  I'm not sure if it was the settings on my computer but the graphics can sometimes look shockingly bad, which is a real shame because it MOSTLY looks fantastic.  Like it goes all shimmery from time to time and certain environmental stuff looks wrong.  I'm probably not getting a job with digital foundry any time soon.

Play through #2 was a really cathartic victory lap with my powered up guns just mowing through everyone.  Those villagers left VERY early to get the good seats at bingo this time!  Taking out the old sack headed chainsaw man with your magnum, like Indy killed the swordfighter, was a real treat.  And all bets are off by the time you pay off the infinite rocket launcher.

I'll definitely play this again later, after the DLC stuff and to have a look at the Mercenaries.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Is the Castlevania dlc its own thing or does it just get incorporated into the existing Dead Cells stages + new ones? Is it possible to just have a Castlevania run? Loved DC eventually but I think I've had my fill of the main game.
  • 71. Sports Story - Switch (14hrs)

Probably my most anticipated game of 2022, and one that I foolishly bought on the day of release.  Then the feedback started trickling through and all signs pointed to disaster.  I made the mistake of playing Ori & the Will of the Wisps just after launch, which topped my most wanted list in a previous year, so I've already experienced early performance jitters buggering up one of my potential GOATs.  I wasn't prepared to make that mistake again so I waited for a few patches before starting this, but it turns out the vast assortment of glitches were only the tip of the iceberg really - even running flawlessly (which it still does not, by the way), the game would be an absolute hot mess.  It's a hot mess that I thoroughly enjoyed despite its numerous shortcomings, it just doesn't feel finished or even particularly well designed on the whole.

There was quite a lot of fuss about the non-golfing elements muddying the waters, but it reality most of these events are brief diversions and only a handful of them are essential to progress the critical story path.  Some of them are alarmingly awful though - unfortunately I'd have to put tennis on the list, which also includes BMX (truly atrocious and akin to something that might've been binned from a mid-90s one-off-the-wrist Acclaim movie tie-in) and cricket (honestly, wtaf) - but the actual golfing was utilitarian at best on GS anyway.  It's the clear highlight here in terms of gameplay, but at the same time you wouldn't play a straight up golf game that plays like this either.  Tennis takes up maybe 1/5th of the game's total runtime, and I guarantee there are weird indie non-sports games out there that have better mechanics for a one-shot microgame than what you get here.  Honestly, if the racket action in this had been lifted wholesale from an existing 8-bit tennis game it wouldn't be one that's fondly remembered.  There's very little scope for hitting the ball in the direction you want, so success in a lot of the challenges will depend on where the ball initially lands after it's fired at you.  Couple that with the fact that hitboxes for player shots seem to be random and you've got a facepalm on your hands.  You can just about make it work and even bend the wonkiness in your favour to muddle through (balls littering the court can be brought back into play for some reason), but it's never better than bad.  So yeah, the tennis sucks, the golf is merely passable and everything other sport either feels like an LCD game or a mediocre Master System game. 

So where's the appeal?  Being honest, Golf Story was a weird one in the first place - I can't remember if it landed as a [7] or an [8] for me, but the promise of a superior sequel got my juices flowing.  Unfortunately this isn't superior, it's a slightly less focused, muddled version of the existing template, with extra (mostly unwanted) stuff chucked into the mix.  And yet...I smashed through it in four days, and probably enjoyed it more than most games I've played this year.  I don't tend to play RPGs these days, but I guess the golfing element allowed me to slip in through a side door, so to speak.  I played Eastward last year, which is generally quite well regarded, but the gameplay was just as dodgy in that as it is here, and the script was far less amusing.  I mentally switch off during cutscenes in proper RPGs, hence pretty much binning the genre after almost finishing Skies of Arcadia in like 2001 (my dog knocked my Dreamcast off a table when I was 24hrs in, and unfortunately the spell broke at the same time as the machine), but Golf/Sports Story both held my interest throughout.  I could tell you what happens in this one for a start, whereas I didn't have a clue what was going on in Eastward after the first 5hrs or so because I didn't care and therefore couldn't focus.  Maybe it's the general earnestness of the genre that puts me off - Sports Story is always ready with a gag or unexpected dialogue line, and when you couple that with methodical undemanding golf rather than turn based or weak action battles, I think that's the allure for me.  Or maybe characters the call each other 'mate' is all I need?

For the record this never fully crashed on me.  I had to reload a save once as an item hadn't appeared in my inventory, but I'd say if you go in with an internet guide to hand you're good to go as it stands.  It's on version 1.0.3, and God knows what it was like at launch, but if you're still itching to play it based on my experience I'd say it's just about ready.  I had glitches galore (incorrect scoring, framerate issues during golf swings, unexplainable ball trajectories, even clouds glitching in and out of view during the end credits) but nothing completely ruinous.  One of the characters even talks about going on bug hunts from time to time.  It's obvious that the devs knew this was coming in way too hot - hence the secret dev room that's since been patched out - but fundamentally a lot of the finished elements leave a lot to be desired too.  It always felt inches away from fully shitting itself, but never actually did.  So, um...approach with caution, but I wouldn't say avoid completely if you're extra eager to play.  

That doesn't read like a [7] at all, does it?  It all feels a bit rushed, especially towards the end, which is a very anticlimactic mish mash run of events known as the 'Decasportathon'.  The lack of signposting, maps or waypoint markers is ridiculous.  Needle-in-haystack fetch quests have no place even in retro leaning modern games, so a guide is pretty much essential for enjoyment I reckon.  You could probably pick this apart and use most of the pieces in a seminar about weak game design, and yet the script and barebones golf rescues it from the rough edges.  Not a great game by any means, and probably not even a good one if I'm wearing my critical hat, but one that I genuinely enjoyed.  It's not often I play a 14hr game that I'm sad to see the back of.  I'm not even sure if I can go back to mop up as it promptly crashed after the credits rolled, almost like it was releasing 14hrs of pent up energy.  Thumbs up though, but it's a hugely tentative recommendation.

giphy.gif
  • I bought and started this the other day. Played a couple of hours and crashed when a bird got stuck going across a river. I closed it all down and started again and was put back to about an hour in. The hour they expected me to play again wasn’t particularly good the first time so yeah, away it goes. Seemed quite charming up to that point.
  • It mainly operates on a manual save system, otherwise I think it autosaves at the start of each chapter. So nine times in the whole game. Along with plenty of other stuff (like changing balls or bringing up an overhead shot of a course) this isn't explained properly/at all. Much as I liked it I don't think could've stomached replaying an hour of gameplay immediately either, although I think that would be true for most games. The sulk would be too strong.
  • Yeah, there was so much that wasn’t explained at all - even down to the controls tbh. It didn’t seem like a purposeful From-style work it out yerself thing either. More an oversight, which judging from my limited time with the thing, seems about right.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is the Castlevania dlc its own thing or does it just get incorporated into the existing Dead Cells stages + new ones? Is it possible to just have a Castlevania run? Loved DC eventually but I think I've had my fill of the main game.
    Hi mate, you have to do the normal first level which only takes a couple minutes, and find the exit that leads to the Castlevania stuff, so you can go pretty much standalone. You can use the new gear in the old levels as you would assume.

• Nice, it's a toss up between that an Inscryption for my next modern game then.
  • It's fucking banging, the 'vainia stuff.
  • 12: Dredge (Switch) 8/10

This gorgeous little creepy fishing simulator is a real treat, and pretty much just what I was hoping from it.  The fishing stuff is fantastic in and of itself so I was glad the scary/threatening bits weren't too overbearing.  I would totally play this if that stuff wasn't included at all.  

It's a joy to look at and watch your little boat floating around, seeing an island off on the horizon and wondering if you can make it there before nightfall, or if you're better off going back to dock and planning out your trip for tomorrow.  There's plenty of different fish to catch and items to upgrade your boat with, and kooky people to meet.  The actual fishing is pretty basic and you can't go too wrong.  It's mostly about planning your day out and figuring what you want to achieve.  

There's really not too much wrong with it, but I would say the menu system needs a rethink; it's very clumsy, and I wish the map was more handier.  I can't be arsed remembering where I found something!
  • 72. Aliens - Arcade (<30mins)

Konami belt scrolling blaster that's content with being a flyweight experience because it has the license to back it up.  Instead of close quarters combat you weild a plasma rifle, which can be fired horizontally from a standing or crouched position.  Alongside the standard stages there are into the screen boss fights, flat 2D side scrolling sections (with three way fire) and super scaler style special stages.  Along the way you'll be blasting standard aliens, facehuggers, bigger versions of the standard aliens, differently coloured versions of the standard aliens and an alien queen.  Luckily Konami went wild with poetic license so there are also things like zombies, giant mobile brains in jars, screen-filling monstrosities and half a dozen hybrid xenomorphs.  The design choices mostly came out alright.  Mostly.  Every now and then (well, twice) you'll stumble across a loader you can jump in do deal some delicious double damage.  These bits don't play well, but you get to jump in a loader and deal double damage, so it's still a win.  Playable characters are girl who might be Ripley (P1) and guy who might be Hicks (P1).  Other than the sprite they're identical afaik.  You can't jump, so aside from brief diversions it's just walk and shoot until credits, without much in the way of crowd control or tactics.  

Not a great game then, but I bet it was a great way to spend a pocketful of 20p's in 1990.  It doesn't last long enough for its flaws to take the shine off the whole alien(s) thing, and it would've surely been one of the most tempting cabinets in any arcade at the time.  [4 out of 6]

qjVjOp.gif

73. Alien3: The Gun - Arcade (30mins)

You'd probably assume that playing a lesser-known 30yr old Sega lightgun rails shooter without a lighgun would be an absolute disaster, but I definitely didn't hate my time with this.  Admittedly the quirky visuals and Alien licence were the main draw - it has a weird pseudo 3D look which is mainly achieved through the use of flat sprites and scaling effects.  To the untrained eye it's horrific, but for those who lived through the rapid switch from 2D to 3D in the early-mid 90s there's clearly something here that would've have had undeniable clout for at least a fortnight in the ulta-specific sweet spot of 1993.  It's either hideous or beautiful - choose your poison wisely - but whichever way you slice it it's a very individual (and oh-so of its time) look.  It plays okay too, to an extent, and some of the music is excellent.  Sega basically gave Alien3 the T2: The Arcade Game treatment with this, but tried to tech flex a little in the process.  It's got big bowling alley energy, so I'll give it its dues with a [3.5 out of 6].  If I'd played this at the time on a loud cabinet with two oversized swivelling uzis attached I reckon I would've been reluctant to start knocking down pins, regardless of whose birthday it was. 

My chosen gif won't display, so have two jpegs:

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

74. X-Men - 32X (45mins)

Part tech demo part scrapped game, this was the holy grail of gaming for me once upon a time and I was flabbergasted to find it among the 32X roms on the SuperConsoleX3+.  I literally wrote to magazines about this game, having foolishly got swept up in the 'affordable entry point to the next gen' mushroom add-on hype (admittedly only really perpetrated by the official Sega magazine, the swines).  Letters page retroactive spoiler: the answer to 'is X-Men still coming out on the 32X?' was something along the lines of 'probably not lol'.  And nor was Wing War, the cunts.

So why was I desperate for an X-Men game?  I'd never read any of the comics, rarely (if ever) watched the cartoon and didn't even recognise the chap strutting around in screenshots (Bishop, apparently).  It can be summed up in three words really: 'Zyrinx' and 'texture mapping'. 

Tackling the Zyrinx part first then.  A bunch of talented programmers who had previously been involved in the Amiga demo scene worked on two Mega Drive games published by Scavenger inc.  The first was Sub-Terrania, a brilliant Thrust style gravity based shooter released in 1994, and the second was Red Zone, which cemented itself as one of my favourite games ever for ages.   The B&B Retro Club thread pretty much proved it to be a game you had to be there for (the overwhelming consensus in there a decade or so back was 'meh', iirc), but if you were there, and went in hard on the copter/overhead shooter hybrid shtick in '94, it was absolutely wonderful.  The mags cottoned on to its charms - it received 94% and 93% in the two most prominent Sega mags iirc - so it's not a deeeep dive hidden gem, but it was hardly a household name, even at the time.  We're not here to talk about Red Zone, unfortunately, but in terms of LOOK WHAT MY MEGA DRIVE CAN DO that game was a whopper.  Thankfully I also enjoyed the way it played, the well-pitched but brutal difficulty and - perhaps most importantly - the music, which is up there with the Koshiro scores for 16-bit bangers imo.  It's all the work of Jesper Kydd, who's made a bit of a name for himself in the intervening years, but he's never dropped a better track than Datarum.  The way he builds and layers tracks to avoid falling into the trap of repetition, oh boy.  Along with a team called Lemon (eventually responsible for Amok on the Saturn, where Zyrinx went to to release Scorcher), Zyrinx coded a 32X tech demo that did the rounds at the time and gave gullible numpties such as myself a (lens flare) light at the end of the tunnel.  I can't embed YouTube vids there days, so here's a link.  Flat shaded, gouraud shaded, texture mapped?  You want 'em we got 'em.  Swoon.  They probably even had BUMP MAPPING in the locker.  This might be why I enjoyed Motorhead so much on PS1, because if you squinted it could've been a Scavenger game.

Which leads me into the texture maps thing.  We all wanted polygons at the time, but flat shaded polygons went from being flavour of the month to undesirable roughly as quickly as Spliffy jeans.  Texture mapped polygons were the future, and all half dozen of the 32X owning cognescenti really had was a hobbled but smooth DOOM port, a terribly insensitive (*shakes fist*) April Fool's joke in the OSM regarding VR Deluxe and Daytona, and the 12-15fps glory of Metal Head, which I pretty much only played (repeatedly) because of the ermahgerd taxture mops thing.  Screenshots of X-Men started to appear in magazines at the same time as beans were being spilled over the secret tech demo, and all of a sudden the future didn't look quite so extinguished.  

Of course it quietly disappeared almost immediately, along with another Scavenger 32X game called Heavy Machinery.  The latter seems to be lost to the sands of time, but I distinctly remember the American magazine Diehard Gamefan covering it a few times, and possibly even reviewing it (memory is hazy on this - I could check the loft I guess but there's still rat shit up there).  All that seems to exist now is some fuzzy VHS footage, but the game was clearly some way into development.  Probably further along than the game I'm supposed to be reviewing now, tbh.  Unscrupulous mags tended to jump the gun like that sometimes.  Sega Power once reviewed Street Fighter II: Champion Edition on the MD (with unsightly black borders behind the energy bars and no turbo speed settings), which obviously went back into development and became Special Champion Edition, yet somehow escaped without much egg on their face because there wasn't an internet rabble poised to duff them up in 1993. 

Anyway, enough tangents.  X-Men.  It's terrible.  It's a lot closer to a tech demo than an actual game, although in fairness there were worse games available at the time.  I'm not convinced the foundations are malleable enough to be turned into anything approaching decent though, so this is just a barely playable curio really, full of placeholder ideas and not much else.  Guide your massive Bishop through texture mapped corridors, bashing pre-rendered ninjas and clockwork fairies(?).  On the plus side, the soundtrack has clearly been provided by Jesper Kydd again, and even if some of it is just off-cuts from 'The Red Zone Sessions', which it could quite possibly be, it slaps hard in places.  Love that deep industrial clang Yamaha sound.  So in summary, I doubt this is genuinely worth anyone's time (there are six levels available and I plodded through them all), but hopefully I've explained why I was like a pig in shit wading through this turd last night.  Off the bucket list it goes.  I still can't believe it was in the folder.

9f182cd5-1fec-4dc7-afd2-d61e8dad0dab.png
  • That was a fun read about X Men! There really is something about those mythical games you only read about in magazines and saw maybe 2 screenshots (as a nerdy SNES kid it was mostly Squaresoft RPGs that never left Japan or never came to Australia). Always a treat to finally give them a razz.
    DrewMerson wrote:
    …I would say the menu system needs a rethink…
    I’ve only played for a couple of hours, but yes. Transferring things from one side of the screen to the other feels like it was designed for mouse, and the controller implementation is ill-judged. I feel like even one button to switch back and forth would be better; the left thumbstick click to shift to the left and right thumbstick click to shift back means you’re swapping your thins’ positions back and forth just to move items around.
    It's gotta be a poor mouse to gamepad transition doesn't it? Agree with all of that, especially using 2 buttons to switch between inventories. Top game but that side of things is extremely clunky.
  • 75. Bucky O'Hare - Arcade (45mins)

The more I play these a Konami scrolling beat 'em ups the more I realise I'm not a massive fan.  They know what to do with a licence to draw in the coins, but they tended to put a lot more care into doing the source material justice than making genuinely good videogames.  Their licensed brawlers are all a bit flimsy really, and without the sights, sounds and smells of an arcade, or the wide-eyed wonder of a 10yr old, they're often a wee bit tedious to play to completion in 2023.  I enjoyed Aliens further up the page, but that got a pass because Aliens.  Similar deal with the OG Turtles game (which really was quite a spectacularly wonderful thing in 1990). Ymmv on the merits of the character/universe, but this is Bucky O'Hare, minus his theme tune, so it didn't exactly start with a free pass for me, and for 1992 the gameplay is pretty monotonous. You can walk, fire, jump and jump kick, plus each character has two specials and a close range attack, but that's it.  Factor in the typically unfair bosses and the fact that the flying kicks aren't as effective as you'd expect from a 4-player Konami cab and you can see why this starts to wobble midway through its 40-odd minute runtime.  There's some variety in the stages, sure, but the core doesn't offer much mechanically.  It's certainly not one I settled into any sort of groove with anyway, and these games thrive on the groove, man.  

It looks great, as you'd expect from Konami for this sort of thing at the time.  Maybe Bucky was a bigger deal than I remember, but to all intents and purposes they've put as much effort into making this look the part as they did with TMN/HT, The Simpsons or Asterix.  So top marks for that, clearly. It also sounds great and has some fully voiced (and nifty looking) cutscenes. I used the phrase 'pretty monotonous' in the previous paragraph, and if you put a forward slash between the two words that's yer nutshell review.

[2.5 out of 6].  I'm not saying don't play it (the blurb in Go Straight certainly suggests you do) especially as the shooter element is quite rare for the genre, but I would say try to play it with at least one other player, and definitely don't play it solo.  

Ftr, before I get an earful of righteous indignation from Nick, the NES Bucky game was legit.  

510bucky.gif
  • 76. Tetris Effect - Xbox One S 

I'm phenomenally bad at Tetris, so I was mainly there to provide moral support really, but Mrs. Moot & I (sometimes just her in cheeky late night solo sessions) played through the journey mode of this and success in at least three of the stages was all my own work.  I got fed up with trying after a while, as it turns out backseat Tetris coaching is fucking annoying - as is my play style, it seems* - so I dared not touch the pad, but I reckon I participated in enough to know that this does what it's supposed to do very well.  I thought I'd hate the soundtrack but I really didn't, and the uplifting synthesia stuff really does give this entry a boost.  Horses for courses, but I don't see why this is considered as a bit of a poster child for VR - I played a timed demo on PSVR a few years back and it added nothing to the experience for me.  The beauty of the game is its simplicity, surely, and strapping a headset on to essentially play the exact same game (albeit with distracting pyrotechnics?) isn't for me, and definitely isn't what I'd call a good case for the merits of VR.  No idea where this stands on the Tetris scale but it's the best one I've tried since the GB effort.  [9] seems fair.  The tiny play window did annoy me, although after about two hours of play we realised you can zoom in with the left sick.  It's no Bust A Move 2/Baku Baku Animal, but personal preferences aside you can't deny the brilliance of the block drop GOAT, and it's in rude health here.   

dolphin.gif

*Note how I resisted the urge to drop in an outdated Leeroy Jenkins reference.
  • Moot, did you croak us some toads?
  • I'm potentially checking out of scanning and the evil that it bodes, so there was only one course of action really...
  • Ha ha. I'm losing my mind and having a fit reading these Moot, lovely stuff.

Nice back story on Xmen, glad the super console 3x plus is delivering the goods.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Never thought I'd get to actually play it. If I can find the deleted scene from the 1990 TMNT movie where Leonardo twists his mask around and beats up his brothers blinfolded (after Splinter telepathically teaches him true mastery of ninja mindfulness) the key missing pieces of my youth will be complete. It was in the comic of the film and it was in the novella of the film, so it must have existed in an early edit surely.

I'm not as fussed about the scene where Kyle Reese steals a pizza in The Terminator book-of-the-film (which I assume was in an early edit too as the Cyberdyne building reveal was in there at the end, and eventually included in the dvd cut iirc), but I'd watch it.
  • 77. The Gladiator - Arcade (35mins)

Spotted this on a IGS PSM vid @afgavinstan posted yesterday, and after seeing the footage it had to leapfrog Riot City and B.RAP BOYS on my to-do list really. What a stunning looking game it is too, easily the pick of the bunch when grouped with most belt scrollers ever. The characters wouldn't look at all out of place in a long forgotten vs fighter (especially the heaviest hitting chap). I played the Taiwanese version because I couldn't be bothered to go searching through folders on the SC3+ (my new shorthand for the Super Console 3 Plus). It's probably on there, but I doubt I missed much from the cut-scenes. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for nonsense.

In terms of combat it's got no throws, no weapons to pick up and no vehicles/beasts to climb in/on, so plenty of the genre traditions are missing, but I can't go full Wealdstone Raider in my battle assessment as it has got a four button system and a quirky individual feel to the brawling. Unlike almost anything else that springs to mind, it's about lining up a long combo/hit flurry for maximum damage. There are multiple specials and sub-specials, including moves pulled off with fireball inputs and the like, and despite (or thanks to) the somewhat surprising omissions it does its own thing remarkably well. The evade move is actually quite useful in a few places too. It's far from my favourite belt scroll combat system, but it does make a legit attempt to tease a well-worn (most would say played out by 2003, I expect) genre down a slightly different path.

If we're talking genre levels it's probably the equivalent of a team in contention for the Chamionship playoffs, which makes it roughly comparable to one of the two Scottish sides overall. Good stuff. [4 out of 6]

212709.jpg
  • Scotland has two teams now?
  • I think it's technically three for cup competitions.
  • Ooh that pic looks sumptuous.  Beautiful pixel graphics.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think it's technically three for cup competitions.

So there’s the national team and then the other two?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!