Revolutions in Videogames (Parrot or Magpie)
‹ Previous123456789
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So as not to derail the Xbone thread anymore felt it would best to move the discussion of this gens games being more evolution or revolution.

This is NOT a Destiny thread just that it came up as the first game mentioned that may have a revolutionary experience.

My personal feeling is that the new/current/next generation of consoles has yet to utilise the improved power beyond graphics.
  • They've done loads beyond raw power, I just doubt any of it is considered revolutionary, because most big budget gaming has reached a baseline of kinaesthetic and systemic robustness, and therefore most of the impressive leaps just seem incremental to the casual eye.

The way systems overlap in bizarre but nearly always logical and consistent ways is definitely one of the most impressive things of the latest crop of games, but of course that exists on the previous gen consoles too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This discussion will go nowhere due to differing interpretations of revolution and evolution. It's very easy to argue that the first ever videogame was revolutionary and everything since was an evolution.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So, gin anyone?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Come on Kow can you take this seriously please.

It's rum obviously.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rum is for kids. Just like gaming.
  • The last revolution was the wii remote.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    This discussion will go nowhere due to differing interpretations of revolution and evolution. It's very easy to argue that the first ever videogame was revolutionary and everything since was an evolution.

I think revolution is taking an existing system and doing something with it that's so different that people say "well bugger me I wasn't expecting that to happen" etc. I don't think we've had that for a while and it could be due to a lot of what 10p said, but I do worry that it could also be that it doesn't fit the business model of major publishers.
  • There is no dictionary defintion of revolutionary that fits gaming. So, what are we talking about? We will probably never agree because we can't define what we are debating.

In my mind revolutionary in gaming was/is 'shows me something completely new that i've never even conceived of before.' Super Mario 64 did it for me but actually, there were 3D games before Mario 64, i had just never seen them.

According to my definition, Destiny may be revolutionary for some, but not for me.
  • Splatoon is a revolution.
  • b0r1s - could you ask everybody to define what they mean by a revolutonary game and put each answer in the OP?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Crackdown 3 Azure thing got merit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Minecraft is proper fucking revolutionary.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The last revolution was the wii remote.
    I'm willing to bet money that, could you be arsed, you'd be able to trace the evolution of the Wiimote from some device in some obscure arcade machine which could recognise movement along one axis, then a second which managed two. The chances of that jumping fully formed out of someone's head is tiny.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I think revolution is taking an existing system and doing something with it that's so different that people say "well bugger me I wasn't expecting that to happen" etc. I don't think we've had that for a while and it could be due to a lot of what 10p said, but I do worry that it could also be that it doesn't fit the business model of major publishers.

Which is an entirely subjective definition of the term and therefore fairly useless.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Minecraft is proper fucking revolutionary.

Isn't Mincraft just videogame Lego?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In the vaguest possible way.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Minecraft is proper fucking revolutionary.
    Isn't Mincraft just videogame Lego?

Revolutionary for the game design, the marketing, the 'beta' release etc etc. Proper revolutionary. It's played across so many platforms by so many people. The fact that kids spend 10s of hours each week just WATCHING YouTube videos of this thing is mind-boggling.
    It's had the biggest effect on real culture outside of the VG niche since.... dunno - Space Invaders? 

Staggering game. 

Of course 1. I've never played it and 2. MS will fuck it up.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Yossarian But this isn't a scientific paper, it's just opinion, mush like most of the interwebs, I'm just interested in what people consider as revolutionary, like Djornson's Mario 64 example, he could see something and play something that he hadn't before. Yes, we can build on othet things, but we are talking in the context of videogames,so your arguement that Miecraft is just Lego doesn't hold.
  • No, Wii Remore was the revolution. That's all there is too it. Nintendo wouldn't have called it that without a reason.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    b0r1s - could you ask everybody to define what they mean by a revolutonary game and put each answer in the OP?

If we want to chart this then happy to do that would give us an idea of what people actually mean.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It wouldnt likely trouble my top 5 all time list, but so much of the (yes, this word) RPGIFICATION of non-rpg games (and I'm including destiny in this) to me stems from Modern Warfare. And the influence it has had on the face of videogames is absolute and apparent. It felt like a turning point for videogames further into mass-cultural acceptance, ascribed to 2007-08 by old Stants in his book iirc.
    It also got as close as you can to the widespread use of a game in popular parlance "playing cod" as much cultural slang for videogames as "Nintendo" was in the 80s home console market boom. So, I'd say that's our most recent cultural and gaming revolution, in whatever context that's defined as. Certainly, it was a large shift away from the previously prevalent paradigms of Quake 3, UT or even something like Rainbow Six 3 on oldbox.
    The layering of level systems, matched with skill-based ones (your killstreaks) meant that really any player could feel that positive sense of progression.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    @Yossarian But this isn't a scientific paper, it's just opinion, mush like most of the interwebs, I'm just interested in what people consider as revolutionary, like Djornson's Mario 64 example, he could see something and play something that he hadn't before. Yes, we can build on othet things, but we are talking in the context of videogames,so your arguement that Miecraft is just Lego doesn't hold.

Fair play if you're after opinions, but ruling out anything outside of videogames as an influence seems odd to me.
  • You mean Minecraft though right reg? Just you've typed in CoD there.
  • Isn't CoD just videogame armies?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    You mean Minecraft though right reg? Just you've typed in CoD there.

Ive never really given much time to Minecraft, and not being a parent yet, or having desire myself to do it, I've never really swam in those circles. I'm aware of its cultural phenom obviously, but can't say the twitch channels have ever been on in H household. Not in any way devaluing it. Just one I've got not enough knowledge in to wade in with jackboots and comment on.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Isn't CoD just videogame armies?
    Nope. CoD changed everything.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    Isn't CoD just videogame armies?
    Nope. CoD changed everything.

Ruling out anything outside of videogames as an influence seems odd to me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Off the top of my head, GTA3 is a most revolutionary game. My wee mind was blown for nights and nights when that came out.
  • If we're talking very recent times, then yes CoD. Both for what it did and then what it became.

Beyond that (and Minecraft) there ain't nothing new under the sun since about 2000.
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!