Revolutions in Videogames (Parrot or Magpie)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    But yes, popular game that people love tends to be relevant in threads about popular or important games. Finding it annoying is likely to be aggravating.

It's this public display of affection shit, it's well out of hand now. I mean the original point/question in the Xbox One thread was about revolutionary games brought about by the power of the current generation of consoles, which should immediately rule out cross gen games no matter how much you really, really like to play them.
  • The original title did basically allude to the fact it was in part going to be a discussion about Destiny. I imagine it does get pretty tedious, blame myself in part as I can't help but step up to the plate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What Temps said. Any points I've put forward about Destiny in this thread have been either related to the original question in the original thread, or as a response to a question in here.

But yes, the Destiny train has another 9 years to go. I wouldn't expect people to stop saying how much they're enjoying it for a while yet.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not expecting people to stop taking about how much they really, really like properly reckon Destiny is dead good and that, but just keep that to the four or five Destiny threads.

Reading about it in just about every thread in the forum, even the GotY 2015 thread when it wasn't released on 2015, or here when the OP states that this thread isn't about Destiny is boring.

I mean how fucked is it that Destiny is so depressingly prevalent on the forum that you have to mention that this thread isn't about Destiny in the OP only for people to drone on about it anyway?

Also, what was the original thread title?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The original title was to link it from the Xbox One thread but anyone who read the OP would clearly have seen that I said it wasn't about Destiny.

I also changed the title shortly after as there was some silliness around birds.

My original point, which I've reiterated is that I was interested in people's views on whether the next gen hardware has afforded any kind of revolutionary/different/unexpected (apologies for lack of correct word usage) whatever gameplay that has emerged before.

If, however, people want to discuss Destiny being seen in that context I don't see what the issue is. Someone states an opinion, someone counters, we hopefully get discussion.

People constantly banging on in the thread about why it's a pointless discussion is, in itself, utterly pointless. If you don't want to discuss then don't. Don't keep saying you don't want to discuss it.
  • Good job this was spun out of the Destiny thread so we could widen the debate, eh?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    My original point, which I've reiterated is that I was interested in people's views on whether the next gen hardware has afforded any kind of revolutionary/different/unexpected (apologies for lack of correct word usage) whatever gameplay that has emerged before.

People constantly banging on in the thread about why it's a pointless discussion is, in itself, utterly pointless. If you don't want to discuss then don't. Don't keep saying you don't want to discuss it.

My opinion is no, the next gen hardware has not afforded any revolutionary/different/unexpected games yet. To add to that, i don't think that's a bad thing, enjoyment is the main aim of games and i am getting that in this gen.

Until now i didn't directly answer your question and i hope you don't think i was attempting to derail, i was trying to spark a related discussion about what revolutionary actually means so that your question could be better answered but i think the fact i changed my mind about 5 times about what i think it means throughout didn't help.

I agree with sparky in that JonB said it best.

On the subject of Destiny. It does feel like with every discussion somebody has to mention how great Destiny is. I mean, it's great, we know. But, i dunno, it's not always relevant. As you say b0r1s, it could well be within the context of your question (apart from the fact it's not next gen because it's still playable on xbox 360/ps3) but it's a general feeling across lots of threads i think.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No worries. I just felt like having a moan.

My own opinion is that I don't think "that game" is revolutionary. But I'm really struggling to find something new. But I guess it's like a few people have said it could be that the systems themselves have better functionality. Pause/resume, online sharing etc that define the real change in this generation.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've stopped really worrying about anything new, fresh or exciting. Found as I've gotten older I spend way more hours with slower, more casual games, or those I can play in short bursts (FM/The Golf Club/Isaac etc) than fast, intense efforts. I think its why I loved TW3 so much, you can do it all at whatever pace you desire. Long lost that urge to jump into chaotic MP.

The next revolution will probably be way down the line when we're in our 70s with chips implanted in our brains/retinas, its just projected into your mind/vision or whatever the hell. No controller. Fantasy guff really which we'll probably never see.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Witcher 3
  • monkey wrote:
    If revolution can be defined I think it's more to do with impact than originality. Nothing is original, you just get new mixtures of things. Games are iterative so things like gears can have a big impact because of how well they executed cover mechanics but it wasn't anything new as such. It was just well done, and that's probably another important component. Something with an industry shaping impact that is a new, different combination of what has come before.
    If this is the case it would suggest 'revolutionary' gameplay ideas are often things you can identify some years after they actually happen. You wouldn't then expect to see any after 2 years of a new generation.

I suppose one thing that could become important on these consoles is the game as platform. That is, something like Destiny (Yes!) or Driveclub, where one release is continually developed over years, rather than having constant sequels, expanding on the DLC model. And even though Des is on the older consoles too, since they're on their way out it'll be on the new consoles that this long term plan actually has an impact. 

Whether this changes gameplay at all is questionable, but I like the idea with Driveclub for example that I'll just buy one racing game for the PS4 (since they're basically all the same) and then add different bits to it as I see fit over a number of years. I hope they really see that through.
  • Rock Band (3) was already a 'platform' last gen. So it's not a current gen thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not even 3, it was from the start. Only Beatles isn't part of the platform.
  • 3 in brackets cos that's the one that stopped spawning sequels I guess.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm not sure that's quite the same thing, especially since there were 3 of them. The additional content was just more songs presumably, which is big scale DLC, rather than a game that actually develops over time.

Plus of course there's always going to be some earlier version (like 3D games existed before the PS1 generation), it's just it might only become a big thing now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!