Revolutions in Videogames (Parrot or Magpie)
  • Billy wrote:
    Is this destiny vs the world?  I thought destiny was a game why is destiny against the world?

h4GvFevaczaza6ag9
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I managed to win the European Cup with Woking in a stadium smaller than when they were in the Conference because at some stage along the way part of the stadium got closed. That's revolutionary.
    AmazedBottleGlassesBigEyes.gif Nicely done man, full regen side?

Nope, took me about 15 years [seven alone to get out of the conference], and whilst there were some regens, about half the team were proper players. I even had some players who were there all the way.

There was one lad, David something or other who Exeter bought in my second season. I was gutted, he was my star player, my absolute favorite, the clubs two time player of the year. He had a buy out clause, so I couldn't stop it. They went on to basically never play him. I would make an offer for him every window, and they would always turn me down. After about 5 years, he was transfer listed, so I made another offer, the highest the board would allow me too, which just went over their valuation.

So obviously at that point another club came in with an offer twice as high. They then went on to not play him either. So for three more seasons, I made an offer every window, always to be rebuffed.  Until one fateful day, when he was released. My move was swift. He was promised the most the board would allow - a pittance - but also that he would be an integral part of the team. By now we were progressing through the leagues, and so, despite other offers, after eight long years, finally, David had come back, to Woking.

In all the years he had been away, he had played less in those than in his first two for Woking. No more wasted career. I made a vow. David would play, in every game, unless he were unfit. At the end of his first season back, my veteran captain retired. There was only one man who could possibly take over.

As time wore on, and we reached the Premier League, injuries began to take their toll. David was absent more and more,  but still, whenever he could manage, he played and captained his side with distinction. The year we won the Premier League, he was by then well into his 30's. Despite this, and the pile up of injuries, he played a crucial role scoring the winner in three games in the run in to secure the title.

And so we entered our first European Cup. Our league form suffered as a result, our squad was painfully thin due to our lack of resources. We eventually finished 12th. But somehow, in Europe, we kept winning. Then David announced he would be retiring at the end of the season. The stage was set. We might have been sliding domestically, but here was a chance to lead the club he started his career at to the greatest honour in the game. What better send off could there be?

Oh but he didn't just play in the game. He scored, he made an assist, and he was Man of the Match. It was quite possibly the greatest moment in both videogame and football history. Torn up by the system, chewed up and spat out, he may have been for the scrapheap. But even after all those years, I kept faith with him. It was a tale of betrayal, tragedy, and ultimately redemption. Redemption in the most glorious fashion. I'm getting misty eyed just recounting the tale.

I had other players, sure, I had a pair of strikers who came through the youth team that I always managed to keep hold of who scored like Messi and Ronaldo. I signed, as I always do, all the former United youth players. Chris Eagles, Danny Webber, even Nicky Butt at one stage. But none of them would ever quite hold the place in my, and the imaginary supporters hearts as David did.

When I used to hear Muhammad Ali proclaim to the world that he was the greatest, I would always smile. You see, the greatest of them all was a footballer named David.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    dhMeAzK.gif
    FM stories always bring delight.
  • I feel the story is undermined a little by the fact he's called david something or other.
  • The last revolutionary games i've played would be wii sports and resident evil 4. Both inspired a great many genres and trends. 

Guitar hero too. 

Revolutionary doesn't necessarily equate to good, popular or something you like. It is measured in how it changes the rest of the market. For that purpose CoD would be revolutionary. I'd argue Destiny is probably the next evolution of CoD and Wow though probably not as big as either.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also now I want to play Football Manager. 

Any good console options or is PC the only real choice?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I like the David story. Not quite as good as the one where he slew Goliath, but not far off.
  • I feel the story is undermined a little by the fact he's called david something or other.

His surname began with L if that helps.I can't remember the strikers names either. One was called Ross, and his surname began with R, and the other had the initials CC. They were like comic book heroes. I laughed at how often they scored - then Messi and Ronaldo managed it.
  • Vela wrote:
    Revolutionary doesn't necessarily equate to good, popular or something you like. It is measured in how it changes the rest of the market. For that purpose CoD would be revolutionary.

I think that's a fair description. Key point is it's not necessarily a good thing. But, what game doesn't the industry in some way? I guess it should be a 'fundamental' change. How do you measure that?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Billy wrote:
    Is this destiny vs the world?  I thought destiny was a game why is destiny against the world?

h4GvFevaczaza6ag9

Pic isn't showing, but reading what the pic is named I am.intrigued...
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • google photos are fucked.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Revolutionary doesn't necessarily equate to good, popular or something you like. It is measured in how it changes the rest of the market. For that purpose CoD would be revolutionary.
    I think that's a fair description. Key point is it's not necessarily a good thing. But, what game doesn't the industry in some way? I guess it should be a 'fundamental' change. How do you measure that?

I think its a "you know it when you see it" fuzzy metric. And its not always obvious.

Take the cover-shooter mechanic popularised by Gears of War. No-one could argue that Gears didn't revolutionise the third person shooter genre by doing this (ignoring Resi 4 influences), but cover shooter mechanics were already implemented in such games as kill.switch, Winback and Headhunter. 

There are revolutionary games, and there are revolutionary aspects. 

One might say that WoW was a revolutionary game as it popularised MMORPGs. One might say Destiny has revolutionary aspects in how it applies that to a cross console, cross generational audience (says I having not played either).

There are easy examples like Mario 64, Wii Sports, GTA3, Wolfenstein 3D. You can pick them on release day. The tricky ones are the ones you don't notice for several years like Warioware or Minecraft which inspired micro games and spawned a mammoth phenomenon each.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So, in the context of this current gen (PS4, Xbone, possibly Wii U) what have we had, apart from Destiny, that has been revolutionary or, if people don't like that word, unexpected?

I'm hoping No Man's Sky can do that, but the desire to "engage" with fans, has, for me at least, taken the mystery out of the game. Perhaps they are keeping the really good stuff back, but my feeling is this desire to keep people informed all the time just weakens that sense of wonder when you do experience something unexpected.
  • Splatoon. Bringing a genre to a much wider audience than previously thought possible. Otherwise, fuck all. Same old shit with shinier graphics.
  • Surely Goldeneye and Time Splitters could also be considered ito have had the same effect as Splatoon on the demographic they managed to reach compared to other trad FPS games of their respective eras?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Splatoon. Bringing a genre to a much wider audience than previously thought possible.

I'm confused, which genre is Splatoon?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    So, in the context of this current gen (PS4, Xbone, possibly Wii U) what have we had, apart from Destiny, that has been revolutionary or, if people don't like that word, unexpected?

Destiny is PS3 and Xbox 360 so not even sure we can count that.

Splatoon is an interesting one. It certainly felt unique.

WorKid - how many people are actually playing it? What is the age group playing it?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    Splatoon. Bringing a genre to a much wider audience than previously thought possible.

Cartoony paint program.
  • Bit of a Devil’s Advocate idea this, but what about Farmville as a revolutionary game? Spreading via social media (based on a platform that never existed before), suckering people into microtransactions. Sheer number of players must have been enormous. Broke into a whole new player demographic.
  • poprock wrote:
    Bit of a Devil’s Advocate idea this, but what about Farmville as a revolutionary game? Spreading via social media (based on a platform that never existed before), suckering people into microtransactions. Sheer number of players must have been enormous. Broke into a whole new player demographic.

Sounds like a good shout to me.
  • Clash of Clans too
  • Yossarian wrote:
    WorKid wrote:

It's a third-person squad-based shooter.

That kids and adults can play together. I'm not a huge fan myself but the kids seem to love it and it appeals to a very broad demographic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Seems like a low bar to me.
  • Vela wrote:

If you take that view then yes, it might be. But when I considered the OP and initial discussion, my thoughts were almost the exact opposite; that revolutionary doesn't equate to reception (both audience competition) but does equate to the qualities of the product.  I don't think CoD:MW is remotely revolutionary, it just found a great recipe using all larder ingredients.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the suggestion that Destiny is revolutionary.

WiiSports is probably a good shout.  In a parallel universe where the execution wasn't pitiful, Journey and Everything's Gone to Ratshit might have flirted with the idea, but probably not.

I think revolutionary is more reliant on developer vision than the grunt of the box under the telly.  I think the fact that we're in a new-ish generation has little to do with the likelihood of seeing anything revolutionary.
  • It's hardly likely you'll get anything revolutionary after this long. The last major changes were from 2D to 3D, and then to online MP, and then it's been refinement ever since, with all the major genres long-established. Even new controllers like the Wii were novelty rather than revolution, otherwise we'd still be using them now. And social media hasn't changed games themselves much.

I don't think it's just about some dearth of creativity (although there is some of that), rather the inevitable outcome of a medium establishing its capabilities and limits.

Perhaps if there's anything left it'll be some major jump forward in AI that becomes standard and broadens the possibilities of interacting with game characters.
  • JonB wrote:
    Even new controllers like the Wii were novelty rather than revolution, otherwise we'd still be using them now.
    We are, in many respects, although I have to concede that motion control has only supplemented traditional controllers rather than replacing them.
  • The revolution  Wii provided was not in its control but in its invitations to alienated and ignored potential players. That generation migrated onto appstore and microtransaction fests but Nintendo opened the door. On the otherhand popcap would also be a good shout for this award.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Even new controllers like the Wii were novelty rather than revolution, otherwise we'd still be using them now.
    We are, in many respects, although I have to concede that motion control has only supplemented traditional controllers rather than replacing them.
    I can't think of any ways I've been using it recently.

If anything, touchscreen control will have a more lasting legacy.
  • In film and fiction, is the term revolutionary used? Do you have a revolutionary work of fiction? Do you have a revolutionary film? I don't think i've heard that myself. You have 'important' or 'seminal' which seem to be better terms. Maybe there were only 'revolutionary' games as the technology progressed, technical progression has slowed now (which is fine) and we are seeing very polished, important and seminal games. Perhaps virtual reality is the only next 'revolution' possible?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!