Revolutions in Videogames (Parrot or Magpie)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    genocide is top fun with mates
  • ALL THE SHOOTY BANGS ARE REVOLUTION, they stopped man mentals from shoting mans in real life innit. Tamed them psychos, just a constant day in, day out loop of pull right trigger, maybe right bumper for an explosion, eh I jumped, SHOOT AGAIN.

Says the Trials king looool!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Exactly!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Burn though, I'm sizzling here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Trials is definitely evolution.
  • Trials stopped all the bike mentals, all the half human half bike wheeled psychos from just riding up and down people's house walls with their disgusting rubber flesh tires oh look eh jumped a ramp wow no fault whatever see ya
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yes? i.e. revolutionary for videogames as a medium?
    Just to come back to this for one minute, I find this such a bizarre distinction. X isn't revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from other videogames, Y is revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from things other than videogames. Does that not seem like a slightly odd line to draw?
    I don't see what you find bizarre or confusing about the distinction, it's implicit in the choice of scope. You said as much yourself.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Trials stopped all the bike mentals, all the half human half bike wheeled psychos from just riding up and down people's house walls with their disgusting rubber flesh tires oh look eh jumped a ramp wow no fault whatever see ya

How else am us cripple supposed to move you be mad jelly with your legs like stilts mate while I'm freestylin down hills
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yes? i.e. revolutionary for videogames as a medium?
    Just to come back to this for one minute, I find this such a bizarre distinction. X isn't revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from other videogames, Y is revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from things other than videogames. Does that not seem like a slightly odd line to draw?
    I don't see what you find bizarre or confusing about the distinction, it's implicit in the choice of scope. You said as much yourself.

It seems like an odd scope to choose.
  • The scope of videogames? What's odd about that? 
    It's right there in the thread title...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    The scope of videogames? What's odd about that? 
    It's right there in the thread title...
    This whole thread is odd, to be fair. As mentioned, this can only be subjective, any attempt to wall off X, Y or Z as an influence in order to give this some veneer of objectivity is odd.
  • But we are talking videogames, surely?
    I mean, on a film forum/thread discussing "revolutions in cinema" you wouldn't object to "talkies" being one of them on the grounds that gramophone or wax cylinder voice recordings already existed, surely? 
    Or are you wanting to expand the scope to all ideas ever for some weird reason?

And as Boris pointed out, I had already expanded the scope beyond his intended "revolutions in this (console) generation of videogames". So the scope is tighter than "all videogames ever", but I don't think it should be as tight as "revolutions within FPS videogames" - but if you and chalice want that to be the discussion then by all means fire away, but you'd be off-topic for the general gist of "what the hell new is actually going on this gen?".
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Couldn't have put it better myself... That's why I didn't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm just talking purely personally. I don't see much point in going beyond that, in any medium.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One other point, I'm not sure that talkies/wax cylinders is a particularly fair comparison. I'm discussing influences from one game to another. Does the fact that one is a videogame and one is not make it an entirely different medium?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm just talking purely personally. I don't see much point in going beyond that, in any medium.
    /shrug

I guess, but if someone had never played a FPS game before CoDAW, it seems a bit mad to me for them to claim that CoDAW is "revolutionary". I think it's valid to presume people have a peripheral awareness of games beyond what they personally have played and how their experiences fit within that when discussing general topics such as "what has this generation of consoles given us?". 

If it was a topic like "what was your most amazing gaming experience this gen", then yeah, I'd expect it to be much more about the personal experience.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    One other point, I'm not sure that talkies/wax cylinders is a particularly fair comparison. I'm discussing influences from one game to another. Does the fact that one is a videogame and one is not make it an entirely different medium?
    Well, yes. We're talking videogames here. Not "games in general, including boardgames, D&D, hide and seek, football, poker, tug of war, Boggle and Numberwang".
    I don't see how that has you flummoxed, a distinction between videogames - as per the thread title - and "games in general".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well, yes. We're talking videogames here. Not "games in general, including boardgames, D&D, hide and seek, football, poker, tug of war, Boggle and Numberwang".
    I don't see how that has you flummoxed, a distinction between videogames - as per the thread title - and "games in general".

My issue has been with the word 'revolutionary' from the start. I don't believe that we can really offer much beyond a personal experience as a result of that. Most influential could perhaps lead to something fairly objective, but most revolutionary is doomed to an argument about semantics.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I'm not sure how my explanations have flummoxed you, but it appears that they have.
  • Soooo, you think pen and paper D&D should be included when discussing "revolutions in videogames"? :-/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think revolutions in videogames is a daft topic to be discussing.
  • Was Halo a revolution? 

It was considered to be one by many.

I would consider it one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Or at least a daft topic to have any pretence to objectivity toward.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Then stop trying to discuss it, and stop derailing the conversation for people that wanted to?

I mean, to get back to what Boris wanted to discuss, it's specifically about this console generation - i.e. "what has the increased power of this console generation been utilised for that we haven't seen before?"
  • Was Halo a revolution?  It was considered to be one by many. I would consider it one.

It's certainly a landmark title. I think its influence is keenly felt, and like CoD's not always for the better. Regenerating health systems were really championed by both series, as are the weapon limits, and neither suit the "stick it in any game because it is in vogue" line of design that seems to have followed in their wake.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!