regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay. Here's my proper 10. Paper was used to whittle this down.

Metal Gear Solid 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Resident Evil 4
    We Heart Katamari
    Pro Evo 4
    Super Mario Galaxy
    C&C Red Alert
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Grim Fandango
    Blast Corps

DONE
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I should really have put Okami in. It's my favourite Zelda.
  • Were MGS2 &3 that different?
    I thought the first was the best.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn Bomberman should probably get pushed onto my list.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hulka T wrote:
    Were MGS2 &3 that different? I thought the first was the best.

Yep, in terms of worlds, themes and so on. It's no shock that I'm utterly enamoured with the MGS universe, and I doubt many people here would have MGS2 on their list. But hey, it's my list :D
  • cindemon wrote:
    Well a year ago I wrote...
    No particular oder of greatness, just greatness. Super Mario Bro's 3 - NES Mario 64 - N64 Half Life 2 - PC Beautiful Katamari - 360 Dark Souls - 360 Shadow of the Colossus - PS2 Super Mario Kart - SNES Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2 Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube Majora's Mask - N64 Honourable nods to Vice City, Golden Eye, Halo Series, Ico, Batman AA, Elite & tbh a fuck ton more. Edit:  Fuck I needed to bang a Pokemon game in there somewhere.
    Playing by the rules, its laters to SMB3, Elite & Supa Maza Kart & hello to.... Mario 64 - N64 Half Life 2 - PC Beautiful Katamari - 360 Dark Souls - 360 Shadow of the Colossus - PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2 Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube Majora's Mask - N64 GTA: Vice City - PS2 Goldeneye - N64. Again, in no order, but if pushed Dark Souls/Mario 64 would rule them all.

When I fired this off to Edge I realised I had to put it into order.  Was harder that I thought it would be, but this is how it ended after some heavy thinking.

1) Mario 64 - N64
    2) Dark Souls - 360
    3) Half Life 2 - PC
    4) Majora's Mask - N64
    5) Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2
    6) Goldeneye - N64
    7) Shadow of the Colossus - PS2
    8.) Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
    9) GTA: Vice City - PS2
    10) Beautiful Katamari - 360
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hulka T wrote:
    Were MGS2 &3 that different? I thought the first was the best.
    Yep, in terms of worlds, themes and so on. It's no shock that I'm utterly enamoured with the MGS universe, and I doubt many people here would have MGS2 on their list. But hey, it's my list :D

MGS 1 is well similar to MGS2 ;-)
  • My attempt at a top ten, which will likely undergo further revisions.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Chrono Trigger
    Animal Crossing
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Beyond Good and Evil
    WipEout 2097
    GoldenEye
    Super Monkey Ball
    Worms

Genuinely fighting over whether and where to consider OOT, RE4, Portal, SMG2, Oddworld Stranger, Rez, Soul Calibur and oh god this is impossible
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ah I never finished Chronotrigger. Its currently in my 3DS and I always mean to load it up. Im sure i'll be lost...
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    No Trials, Dubs?

Lists.  Could easily put SMG, Trials and Ninja Gaiden: Black in there.  I suppose OoT should be there if it is a "what you thought was good at the time" thing.
  • Hulka T wrote:
    Ah I never finished Chronotrigger. Its currently in my 3DS and I always mean to load it up. Im sure i'll be lost...

First time through took me 25 hours. Very easy RPG but I guess you need to know where youre up to. I played it for the first time ever in 2009. Still a phenomenal title.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • In no particular order

1 - Deus Ex
    2 - System Shock 2
    3 - Pokemon Red
    4 - Wii Sports
    5 - Metal Gear Solid 4
    6 - Super Mario Allstars
    7 - Fifa 98 (pc)
    8 - Bioshock
    9 - Vice City 
    10 - Wario Ware Twisted.
  • Yeah I was liking it, cant remember why I stopped but I get stuck easy on RPGs for stupid stuff like 'I didnt see that door right there!'
  • Hulka T wrote:
    Yeah I was liking it, cant remember why I stopped but I get stuck easy on RPGs for stupid stuff like 'I didnt see that door right there!'

I had a few moments like that in the game, I'm dumb like that too (and in Zelda games). I remember a few times where I didnt know which time zone to go to and who to see, but I never got frustrated with it. Even unnecessary battles didnt grate in CT.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's mine ordered, as per Edge's request - 

10. Pro Evo 4
    9. Batman Arkham Asylum
    8. Command And Conquer: Red Alert
    7. Metal Gear Solid 2
    6. Grim Fandango
    5. We Heart Katamari
    4. Super Mario Galaxy
    3. Blast Corps
    2. Resident Evil 4
    1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Probably miss something but I'm just going to go for it off the top of my head. Will need to reorder them once I've thought about it.

10. The Curse of Monkey island
    9. Half Life
    8. Final Fantasy IX
    7. Pokemon Red
    6. Halo 2
    5. Knights of the Old Republic
    4. World of Warcraft
    3. Metal gear Solid 3
    2. Resident Evil 4
    1. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Can't believe Links Awakening misses out by two months because it came out in Japan in June 93.
  • Arse. I forgot about Oblivion even though I hate it and Dark Souls which is the Official Best Game Ever.

EDIT: Why doesn't superscript work?
  • Bollocks I forgot Geom Wars 2
  • KOTOR. I missed KOTOR!

Revised, with annotations

1 - Deus Ex
    - Two stand out elements for me. Firstly the bit on the plane where you decide to take the moral highground and shoot your boss to save a prisoner or obey your boss, the fact the game progresses seamlessly from this point makes you feel like you have real agency in the narrative in the plot. The second is more subtle at the beginning of the game you put in your real name and are told your code name is JC Denton, you are called JC through the whole game by the cast, then, you read some innocuous news bulletin and what, I'm a terrorist! not JCD anymore but me, kunal! Jaw dropping.

2 - System Shock 2

Deus Ex's mum/dad. Games today are overrun with zombies but this game makes you feel sorry for them and unnerved as they distortedly scream "kill me" as you smash a wrench in their face. Horrific.

3 - Pokemon Red

The first time you play the game everything is special, the 8 gym formula had not become tired and all that and every pokemon is potentially a team winner. 

4 - Wii Sports

The only game my dad has played with a reasonable chance of success and an excellent game because of it.

5 - Metal Gear Solid 4

My first metal gear played to a finish. 

6 - Knights of the Old Republic.

7 - Braid.

Take the Super Mario Bros plot, then add a time travel mechanic. Smash it out of the park by taking the time travel mechanic and inverting the plot. Genius.

8 - Bioshock

Andrew asked me kindly to put this in.

9 - Vice City 

Basically that effect that the camera can't keep up with leaving a trail of light that was in every top of the pops from the eighties.

10 - Wario Ware Twisted.

That rotating Super Mario Bros. level! Making motion control the most controllable ever by including that buzzing motor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, Worms would definitely have to be in mine too. As would Streets of Rage and Street Fighter 2. So, my current list looks something like:

1. Halo
    2. Street Fighter 2
    3. Worms
    4. Streets of Rage
    5 - 10 some other games.

With all of those games that are series, just pick one that's within the allotted time period, although I could probably squeeze at least one more Halo title in there if I tried.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Here's mine ordered, as per Edge's request -  10. Pro Evo 4 9. Batman Arkham Asylum 8. Command And Conquer: Red Alert 7. Metal Gear Solid 2 6. Grim Fandango 5. We Heart Katamari 4. Super Mario Galaxy 3. Blast Corps 2. Resident Evil 4 1. Metal Gear Solid 3

They want it in descending order of greatness. Doesn't that mean best at the top?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Actually, Worms would definitely have to be in mine too. As would Streets of Rage and Street Fighter 2. So, my current list looks something like: 1. Halo 2. Street Fighter 2 3. Worms 4. Streets of Rage 5 - 10 some other games. With all of those games that are series, just pick one that's within the allotted time period, although I could probably squeeze at least one more Halo title in there if I tried.

SF2 and SoR are too old for the list.
  • Dubs wrote:
    No Trials, Dubs?
    Lists.  Could easily put SMG, Trials and Ninja Gaiden: Black in there.  I suppose OoT should be there if it is a "what you thought was good at the time" thing.

I took Edge's requirement to mean that it is a "what you thought was good at the time" thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Haven't we established that SF2T is acceptable? (although I'd probably rather have SSF2T, and maybe even the HD Remix). And I'll take SoR3 if SoR2 is too early even if we're going by the European release.
  • Sf2t is fine but not sf2, and sor2 is definitely too old.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I wrote:
    With all of those games that are series, just pick one that's within the allotted time period.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I wrote:
    With all of those games that are series, just pick one that's within the allotted time period.

Yes, yes, I read that, but you have to submit best games, not best series. Are you saying all the Halo games are as best as each other?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes.

But seriously, I can't really be arsed to give it that much thought. Those four series are the ones which have managed to give me the most joy in whatever iteration they may be in for the longest parts of the last twenty years.
  • Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't decide between Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy. Gonna probably settle on M64 for being 'revolutionary'.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Haven't we established that SF2T is acceptable? (although I'd probably rather have SSF2T, and maybe even the HD Remix). And I'll take SoR3 if SoR2 is too early even if we're going by the European release.

Hyper Steetfighter 2 Anniversary would be in the frame - and I'm pretty sure it made Edge's last top 100 ever - it lets you face off Champ edition Ryu against SSF2T Ken etc. It was on PS2 and oldBox and I think the oldBox version had online.

But I suppose that isn't in the spirit of this list if you haven't actually played that game?

Will have to add Worms Armageddon and Saturn Bomberman onto my list = Oshaberi Parodius and R-Type FInal may be the casualties.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!