• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    feck - forgot about Worms Armageddon.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Well a year ago I wrote...
    cindemon wrote:
    No particular oder of greatness, just greatness.

Super Mario Bro's 3 - NES
    Mario 64 - N64
    Half Life 2 - PC
    Beautiful Katamari - 360
    Dark Souls - 360
    Shadow of the Colossus - PS2
    Super Mario Kart - SNES
    Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2
    Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
    Majora's Mask - N64

Honourable nods to Vice City, Golden Eye, Halo Series, Ico, Batman AA, Elite & tbh a fuck ton more.

Edit:  Fuck I needed to bang a Pokemon game in there somewhere.

Playing by the rules, its laters to SMB3, Elite & Supa Maza Kart & hello to....

Mario 64 - N64
    Half Life 2 - PC
    Beautiful Katamari - 360
    Dark Souls - 360
    Shadow of the Colossus - PS2
    Metal Gear Solid 3 - PS2
    Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
    Majora's Mask - N64
    GTA: Vice City - PS2
    Goldeneye - N64.

Again, in no order, but if pushed Dark Souls/Mario 64 would rule them all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    KATAMARI JESUS CHRIST

I need to re do my list
  • regmcfly wrote:
    KATAMARI JESUS CHRIST

I need to re do my list

You seriously didn't leave it off, did you?
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Poor form, dear Phillip.

Ah Soul Calibur true. He*3, regman.

This makes makes me want to revisit my top 100 spreadsheet. It doesn't have exceptions but still it's not finished.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Top 100?!?! I wanna do one. It would be too difficult to choose what to drop out every time I play a great game though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Shining Force 3 - The complex politics and parallel storyline system will likely never been replicated again. It was an awesome swang-song for the Saturn that took me 5 years to get my hands on.

Resident
    Evil 4
    - The game that changed the genre (arguably for the worse). It dumped convoluted story-lines and bad voice acting for outright theatrics, relentless action and tension. A game with so many stand out moments that it's hard to see the series ever surpassing this.

WWF No Mercy - The final entry to the only wrestling game series that actually felt like the stuff you see on the TV. No Mercy captured the ebbs and flows of a WWF wrestling match. Everything since this has felt like a badly paced beat-em-up.

TimeSplitters 2 - A FPS that felt like an actual videogame, before the genre tumbled into Po-faced cinematics and disappeared up its own arse.

Metroid Prime - Lovely, challenging and just lovely. The Phendrana Drifts is the best environment ever rendered in a videogame.
    Street Fighter IV - No other game that makes crushing an online opponent so satisfying, especially when they use Ryu or Akuma. That pleases me endlessly. The way this is the world premier fighting game in tournaments is proof of its depth and quality.

F-Zero
    GX
    - Stupidly difficult, but gloriously satisfying. No other game has made my heart race so fast as the closing seconds of a circuit on Master difficulty. A quick glimpse of the Miiverse forums suggest that this - not the Wind Waker - should be receiving a HD upgrade.

Left 4 Dead 2 - One of the few online games you'll be justifiably booted out of for not having a mic. I loved the way it forced team work rather than suggested it. If there really was a zombie apocalypse this game gives great insight into who you would want with you.

Streets of Rage 2 - No rose tinted specs required for this one. Infinitely playable and just as fun today as it was back in the 90's.

Baldurs Gate 2 (PC) - The first game I played that truly captured table-top RPG shenanigans. The amusing characters and tactical combat led to a brilliantly expansive adventure.
  • I still can't believe Tiax wasn't a party member in Baldur's Gate 2... 

Loved Tiax.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Shining Force 3 - The complex politics and parallel storyline system will likely never been replicated again. It was an awesome swang-song for the Saturn that took me 5 years to get my hands on.

5 years? Pfft.... (I have it, I'm not allowed it until my birthday! ;) )
  • Those just outside my top 10:

No More Heroes (Wii Grasshopper Entertainment 2007)
    Sins of a Solar Empire (PC Ironclad 2008)
    Wipeout (PS1 Psygnosis 1995)
    Jagged Alliance 2 (PC Sir-Tech 1999)
    Skies of Arcadia (DC Sega 2000)
    Shining Force III (Saturn Sega 1997)
    Mass Effect 2 (PC Bioware 2010)
    Virtua Tennis 3 (Arcade Sega 2006)
    Fire Pro Wresling Returns (PS2 Spike 2005)
    Fable 2 (360 Lionhead 2008)
    Freedom Force Vs. The 3rd Reich (PC Irrational Games 2005)
    Team Fortress 2 (PC Valve 2007)
    Uncharted 2 (PS3 Naughty Dog 2009)
    Pokemon (GB Nintendo 1996)
    Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (PC Bioware 2003)
    Neverwinter Nights (PC Bioware 2002)
    Secret of Mana (SNES Square 1993)
    Virtua Cop 2 (Saturn Sega 1996)
    Shenmue (DC Sega 1999)
    Parodius (EU) (Saturn Konami 1995)
    Garou: Mark of the Wolves (NEO GEO SNK 1999)
    Chrono Trigger (SNES Square 1995)
    Cannon Fodder (Amiga Sensible Software 1993)
    Shadow of the Colossus (PS2 Team Ico 2005)
    Skate 2 (360 EA 2009)
    Daytona USA CCE (Saturn Sega 1996)
    Gears Of War (360 Epic 2006)
    Ninja Gaiden 2 (360 Team Ninja 2008)
    Bioshock (PC Irrational Games 2007)
    Radiant Silvergun (Saturn Treasure 1998)
    Thief 2: The Metal Age (PC Looking Glass Studios 2000)
    Quake (PC ID 1996)
    Far Cry (PC Crytek 2004)
    Bayonetta (360 Platinum Games 2009)
    Ghouls & Ghosts (Daimakaimura) (Sharp X68000 Capcom 1994)
    Grand Theft Auto 4 (PC Rockstar 2008)
    F-Zero GX (GC Sega 2003)
    Puzzle Bobble aka. Bust a Move (NEO GEO Taito 1994)
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (PC Ubisoft 2003)
    R-Type Final (PS2 Irem 2003)
    Rez (Dreamcast Sega 2001)
    Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX Sega 2002)
    Portal (PC Valve 2007)
    Race Driver: Grid (PC Codemasters 2010)
    Super Monkey Ball (GC Sega 2001)
    Starcraft (PC Blizzard 1998)
    Fallout 3 (PC Bethesda 2008)
    Company of Heroes (PC Relic 2006)
    Batman: Arkham City (PC Rocksteady 2011)
    Geometry Wars: RE2 (360 Bizarre Creations 2008)
    Castlevania: SOTN (PS1 Konami 1997)
    Super Skidmarks (Amiga Acid 1995)
    Advance Wars (GBA Intelligent Systems 2001)
    Medieval II: Total War (PC Creative Assembly 2006)
    Final Fantasy VII (PS1 Square 1997)
    Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn Sega 1995)
    Dishonored (PC Arkane Studios 2012)
    Dragon Age: Origins (PC Bioware 2009)
    Yoshi’s Island (SNES Nintendo 1995)
    Civilization V (PC Firaxis 2010)
    Super Metroid (SNES Nintendo 1994)
    Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (Arcade Capcom 1999)
    Left 4 Dead (PC Valve 2008)
    LittleBIGPlanet (PS3 Media Molecule 2008)
    Super Mario 64 (N64 Nintendo 1996)

Half-Life 2 (PC Valve 2004)
    Grim Fandango (PC Lucasarts 1998)
    Beneath A Steel Sky (PC Revolution 1994)
    Parappa the Rapper (PS1 SCE 1996)
    Planescape: Torment (PC Black Isle 1999)
    Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast Sega 2000)
    Baldurs Gate 2 (PC Bioware 2000)
    Crazy Taxi (DC Sega 1999)
    Deus Ex (PC Ion Storm 2000)
    ATR: All Terrain Racing (Amiga Team 17 1995)
    Earthworm Jim (MD Shiny Entertainment 1994)
    Dark Souls (PS3 From Software 2011)
    F.E.A.R. 2 (PC Monolith 2009)
    Dune 2 (PC Westwood 1993)
    Valkyria Chronicles (PS3 Sega 2008)
    Tekken 3 (PS1 Namco 1997)
    Powerstone 2 (Dreamcast Capcom 2000)
    Red Dead Redemption (360 Rockstar 2010)
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (PC Frontier 2004)
    Alien Vs. Predator (Jaguar Rebellion 1994)
    Fighters Megamix (Saturn Sega 1996)
    Blur (PC Bizarre Creations 2010)
    Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (PC EA 2007)
    Max Payne (PC Remedy 2001)
    Jet Force Gemini (N64 Rare 1999)
    Streets of Rage 2 (Megadrive Sega 1992)
    Guardian Heroes (Saturn Treasure 1996)
    Lumines (PSP Q Entertainment 2004)
    King of the Fighters ’96 (NEO GEO SNK 1996)
    Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2 Tecmo 2003)
    Yakuza 2 (PS2 Sega 2006)
    Silhouette Mirage (Saturn Treasure 1997)
    Syndicate (PC Bullfrog 1993)
    Shadowrun (SNES Beam Software 1993)
    Xenogears (PS1 Square 1998)
    Vagrant Story (PS1 Square 2000)
    Suikoden III (PS2 Konami 2002)
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (PS2 KCEJ 2003)
    Worms (Amiga Team 17 1995)
    Sim City 2000 (PC Maxis 1994)
    Doom II (PC ID 1994)
    Peggle (PC Popcap 2007)
    Resident Evil 2 (PS1 Capcom 1998)
    Okami (PS2 Clover 2006)
    Burning Rangers (Saturn Sega 1998)
    Pikmin (GC Nintendo 2001)
    MDK (PC Shiny Entertainment 1997)
    Silent Hill 2 (PS3 Konami 2001)
    Sega Rally (Saturn Sega 1995)
    Samurai Showdown II (NEO GEO SNK 1994)
    Tomb Raider (Saturn Core Design 1996)
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Shining Force 3 - The complex politics and parallel storyline system will likely never been replicated again. It was an awesome swang-song for the Saturn that took me 5 years to get my hands on.

Ha enjoy it's great, you got the other 2 parts as well? It's all in Japanese but there's a brilliant site that's translated it all. I played it while reading it all on me laptop.
  • I had forgotten about KOTOR.
  • Sensible Soccer was released in 1992.

Thought I'd use the Best Games Evarrr thread as a starting point. Only have to swap out one game. It might be interesting for some of you to see how closely your nominations match. Anything I listed in that thread that's too old for this I've scored out.

Ico (PS2)
    This game is pretty much perfect. It looks beautiful, the puzzles are pitched brilliantly, and it surpasses all games in getting you to emotionally invest in the lead characters. Love it.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Again, the emotional investment, this time with a gradually building sense of dread. Working out the solutions is a little bit more frustrating, but this fits well, I think, with the more intense action.

Bushido Blade (PS1)
    The atmosphere of this game changes as the balance and intensity of each fight shifts. I've played fights in near silence, with just the sound of the characters' feet on the gritty snow as each shifts their position, looking for a chance to attack without leaving themselves open, before one dives in delivering a fatal blow, the only strike of the encounter. I've also seen epic fights spanning the whole game area, both fighters badly injured, struggling to find the energy to finish the other. Cracking.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
    Takes the vertiginous gameplay of the previous games, and adds to the convincing physicality they set in place. I can't think of a game that more convinces me that the character I'm controlling physically exists in the environment I'm moving him around.

Colony Wars (PS1)
    Along with Bushido Blade, this is a game I read about religiously in Play magazine, reading every preview over and over, never able to get enough, and, like Bushido Blade, the final product delivering everything I had hoped for and more.

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Atari ST)
    The title music and controls mean that this version remains superior to subsequent tweaks and polishes.
    Released 1990. So, instead...

The Last of Us (PS3)
    I've written a fair amount about this game already. Naughty Dog are dab hands at making me feel tense (in a good way) and they ramped it up with this game. Not faultless, but nearly.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2)
    I've never played any other Baldur's Gate games, so I don't know where this sits with them, but it's the most involving hack'n'slash I've enjoyed. Great atmosphere, involving gameplay, convincing environment. A joy.

Kessen (PS2)
    Because who wouldn't want to be a kick-ass Japanese warlord in a camp/magical version of history?

Gears of War 2 (360)
    This defines online multiplayer for me, both co-op and versus. I know that a lot of those who were in on the act with the first game had complaints about the balance of this, but I was too busy having fun to care.

Grand Theft Auto (PS1)
    Now here's a game that has never been improved on. The London instalment seemed rushed, the sequel handled awfully, and since then it's gone 3D and, while some of them are good, they've rather changed from the original.

Honourable mentions (in no order whatsoever):
    FIFA, ISS-Pro Evo, Madden, Tekken 3 (PS1), X-Blades (360), Batman The Movie (Atari ST), The Untouchables (ZX Spectrum), UFC 2009: Undisputed (360), Tenchu (PS1), Road Rash (PS1), Project Overkill (PS1), Star Gladiator (PS1), Cannon Fodder (Atari ST), Kilzone Liberation (PSP), Spider-man (PS1), Spider-man 2 (PS2), Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3), Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves (PS3), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita), Rayman Origins (360 & Vita), Tomb Raider (PS1), Rez (PS2), Worms (PS1), Timesplitters (PS2), Burnout (PS2), Medal of Honour (PS1), Medal of Honor (360), Nitro (Atari ST), Supercars II (Atari ST), Freedom Fighters (Xbox), Portal (360), Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Rally Cross (PS1), GTA: Vice City (Xbox), Ring of Red (PS2), Dropship: United Peace Force (PS2), SSX (PS2), Prototype (360), Sky Odyssey (PS2), Urban Chaos (PS1), Gran Turismo (PS1), Forza Motorsport 2 (360), Barbarian (ZX Spectrum), Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox), Resident Evil (PS2), Left 4 Dead (360), Chequered Flag (ZX Spectrum), Hostages (Atari ST), Target Renegade (ZX Spectrum), Double Dragon (NES), Turrican 2 (Atari ST), Crackdown (360), Hard Drivin' (Atari ST), other games that people mention that I'd somehow forgotten about.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    1. Trials HD 2. Championship Manager 01/02 3. Ocarina of Time 4. Peggle 5. Super Metroid 6. Borderlands 7. Trials Evolution 8. Resident Evil 4 9. FEAR 10. CoD4

Fairly close. 01/02 for Wipeout and SM for VT3 would prob be the only changes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The games I've most enjoyed playing.

Half Life
    Battlefield 2
    Metropolis Street Racer
    GTA Vice City
    COD 4-MW
    Left 4 Dead
    Virtua Tennis 2
    Minecraft
    Shogun Total War
    Mass Effect
  • Mad love for dogfingers and timesplitters 2.
    You summed it up perfectly and honestly I dont think an fps has been more fun since, in fact not even close.
  • I should probably think about this for a bit longer before posting, but a quick list:

Trials Evolution (gets the nod over the original due to the excellent and user friendly custom dlc)
    Portal
    Micro Machines 2
    Super Monkey Ball
    Super Meat Boy
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Super Mario 64
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Quake 3: Arena
    Wario Ware Inc.

Panzer Dragoon Saga would be in there if it wasn't so short, Pro Evo 6, Virtua Fighter 2, Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island, Mario Galaxy 2, Uncharted 2 and Ninja Gaiden are close.
  • Mad love for dogfingers and timesplitters 2. You summed it up perfectly and honestly I dont think an fps has been more fun since, in fact not even close.

Something about that game just clicked, has it been bettered technically? Yes. Can I imagine playing any other FPS (including Goldeneye) and having as much fun 4 player split screen? No.

Virus and beers nights were great.
  • Ts3 was also a great game but TS2 really struck a chord.

Me and my mate spent days making maps and fine tuning game types. It also had the best mp bot AI I have played against, Bot AI took a dive bomb after TS2.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    krs wrote:
    And I don't all-capitalise Ico

Sony of Japan do. I didn't want to look silly, so I checked.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I let you off with that one, TBF.
      ^ will
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Top 100?!?! I wanna do one. It would be too difficult to choose what to drop out every time I play a great game though.

Don't bother, middle bit of a lengthy typing spree that's been revisited again and again; excerpt:-

73vhA2p.jpg

Still unordered. I know some are genuinely above others and those that aren't others should be above.
  • Forgot about lemmings (and I dont mean just this thread)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I like the way it goes Worms then Lemmings, clearly out of order.

It's hard to get to a hundred, but then suddenly it's up to well over that, with Ikaruga, Crysis, Advance Wars, Portal and Gunpey pulling up the rear (upto 137). As said unordered.

Arguably the top ten has a leave in SotC and drop ICO but to where?
  • Yes to whomever mentioned KOTOR!!

And No Mercy!
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Dogfingers wrote:

Ha enjoy it's great, you got the other 2 parts as well? It's all in Japanese but there's a brilliant site that's translated it all. I played it while reading it all on me laptop.

No, I've got the UK version.
  • I still have a WR in TS2 :) 

I played that game alot.. it was the only fps I really played before H3. Its so charming, its got some very clever elements and chasm is the best mp level ever. 

Shame each version on each system isn't the same.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I honestly thought it was average. I liked some of the sub missions (extra missions?) but that was it. I was expecting great things from TS3 as well but I rathered the mini games in the end!
  • In order of awesomeness:
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Pro Evolution Soccer 3
    Championship manager 2000
    Sensible World of Soccer
    Advanced Wars
    Half Life
    Mario 64
    Final Fantasy 7
    Super Metroid
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I'm still insure how to construct my final top 10. Edge said nothing about only one game from a series, so I could just fill mine with Zelda and Mario games. If I decide to stick to just one from a series, them I thought I understood their reference to nostalgia, but maybe I don't. I mean, I prefer Super Metroid over Metroid Prime; but considering other games, tech blah blah, Super did nothing new at the time whereas Prime used the systems tech to successfully convert a 2D series to 3D.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!