Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • @RedDave, I think Sf2 Turbo may just about make it, but Mario Kart is too old to go on the list. I would be tempted to put it in if it was an August 93 or later release.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Like? (Yoss)
    Pair moves that could be executed between two players, actual moves with weapons beyond hitting someone and watching them fall over (unless you were Xan) and a generally far wider range of standard hits (such as a jump kick that you could use to stun an opponent and set them up for a combo), throws and combos.

Did you know that every character has two different jump in attacks in FF, and that Guy can bounce of the wall, and Haggar has multiple throws, and that Cody has special abilities with the knife?

The only thing I can see there is pair moves, which were kind of naff.
  • Ah, didnt realise the time limit. I guess Sensible soccer would be out too. Stupid edge...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've played plenty of Final Fight, I still own my Mega CD copy. If you want multiple moves with a single weapon, you have to choose one character as opposed to having multiple moves with every weapon with every character. One character in Final Fight has multiple throws instead of every character in SoR. And jumping off walls is rubbish. And that's before you even get to the wider range of combos and standard attacks. Ooh, and the ability to run and pull off running attacks.

Seriously, I may come round to yours one day with my MD collection disk and learn you how much better SoR is in every way.
  • Sigh, ok it's better mechanically I'm not really arguing that. In every other way I mentioned FF is better though  -I appreciate that won't necessarily ring true to most people who don't hold as much fond nostalgia for FF as me though.

Also when are you coming round with that, sounds banging.
  • JUMPING OFF WALLS IS NOT RUBBISH BTW FFS WHERE IS SMANG
  • Surely it doesn't matter as they're both absolutely terrible now so it's only your individual nostalgia that you can judge with?
  • Even the EU release of SoR 2 is too old for the list, it seems.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Surely it doesn't matter as they're both absolutely terrible now so it's only your individual nostalgia that you can judge with?

For Edge's list it does, I think, because you apparently 'should' take into account the tech and other games of the times of the respective game.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Surely it doesn't matter as they're both absolutely terrible now so it's only your individual nostalgia that you can judge with?

This is true but let us be little boys in the playground, we're enjoying it.
  • nick north and south was 1989, you can't have that. I know because it would make my top 10 if we were allowed to go back further. Clicking on the photographers bum.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • haha, damn

Freaking HOURS of 2 player winner stays on with my 2 brothers on that game. One poor guy had to have the keyboard.
  • Um, SOR2 isn't terrible now.

It plays well.
  • sor3 is a technical marvel. it hasnt really aged in the gameplay dept as far as i'm concerned, play any modern 'retro' interpretation of the old 2d side-scroller and it shows them up and kicks them in the balls. 

runs, vertical rolls, team attacks that are actually useful and a super bar to manage invincible GTFO me moves. plus all the character specific weapon moves.

ignoring the dodgy EU colour swaps and glitchy sound and terrible OST it's fucking amaze game FOREVER.

Final fight is the best though because 

haggar.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Someone say Rez.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Woo lists! Lets go all formats top ten!

Fallout 2
    Tekken 3
    Tony Hawks Pro Skerret 2
    Mario64
    1080 Snowboarding
    World of Warcraft
    Bayonetta
    Mechwarrior 2
    Dead Rising
    Baldurs Gate 2

Honourable mentions: FFVIII, Dark Souls, Guitar Hero, Goldeneye, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear (even though I only just started playing), R-Type, Streets of Rage 2, Robocod, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Syndicate, Theme Park, Fable, Doom 2, Ocarina of Time, Fallout 3, Super Off-Road.

Er just realised some of the honourable mentions may be pre edge. Fuck it.

Alternative nostalgia

Xenon 2 (Amiga)

Yes!!!! God bless all the Amiga scrolling shooters, Uridium, Apidya, Silkworm, SWIV, fucking epic games.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • i will also add that SoR was the first game i ever played that featured a 'strong' female character, and a lead one no less.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sigh, ok it's better mechanically I'm not really arguing that. In every other way I mentioned FF is better though  -I appreciate that won't necessarily ring true to most people who don't hold as much fond nostalgia for FF as me though.

Also when are you coming round with that, sounds banging.

Next week after Tuesday? When are you free? Bonus points if you're planning on seeing *cough* someone else that evening for *cough* other reasons. *cough*.
  • Yossarian if you're gonna SOR it up i advise getting SoR remake, if you havent already. it's incredible.
  • Dark souls
    Chrono trigger
    Majoras mask
    Halo 3 
    Eternal darkness 
    Grim fandango
    Half life 2 
    Mass effect 2
    Mario 64
    My little pony : pinky pie's party
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    When it comes to a top ten I always seem to have a vanguard of five titles that have reserved places then the rest is given to whatever is in my mind at the time. Sent an email off to em yesterday and Freelancer actually made it in my list because of nostalgia from reading up on Star Citizen.

1. Half-Life
    2. Power Stone 2
    3. Baldur's Gate 2
    4. Team Fortress 2
    5. Shadow of the Colossus

6. Metal Gear Solid 3
    7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    8. Deus Ex
    9. Persona 4
    10. Freelancer
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    Yossarian if you're gonna SOR it up i advise getting SoR remake, if you havent already. it's incredible.

It's PC, innit? I can't run it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    Yossarian if you're gonna SOR it up i advise getting SoR remake, if you havent already. it's incredible.
    It's PC, innit? I can't run it.

it has been ported to run on consoles with homebrew, and i have it working on my mac at home. but yeah, you tend to need a computer. amazing game though, i wish sega had bought it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've got a mac...
  • Roujin Roujin  -BLOOD MONEY

Great shout.
  • Um, SOR2 isn't terrible now. It plays well.
    Yeah, it's genuinely very good.
  • Cigarettes
    Whisky
    Chocolate
    Steak
    Guinness
    Crisps
    Soup
    Cake
    Vodka
    Sandwich
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!