Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • @g.man: No ham??
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mrs reg's list -

Curse of Monkey Island
    Journey
    The Last of Us
    The Walking Dead
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Theme Hospital
    Rayman Origins
    Little Big Planet
    The Sims
    Hydro Thunder
  • Mrs reg loves the undead.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    She really got into zombies in 2012
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @g.man: No ham??
    Just outside the top ten.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Halo 3
    Resi 4
    Half Life 2
    Sega Rally
    GoldenEye
    Tekken 3
    SM64
    MGS
    GTA Vice City
    Mario Galaxy
  • Aww man I totally suck at lists, always end up with far too many things and have to impose additional restrictions in order to cut 'em down.  Soooo focusing on the nostalgia element I'm gonna cut out current gen titles and limit m'self to one game per series.  The result isn't something I'd enter into a poll for the best games of the last twenty years tbh, but I loved 'em all a stupid amount back in the day.

Skies of Arcadia
    Crazy Taxi
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    F-Zero GX
    Gradius V
    Metal Slug 3
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Phantom Crash
    OutRun 2
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • FUUUUUUCKIIIIIIIIT FORGOT ABOIT UFO:ENEMY UNKNOWN, NOW EVERYTHING IS RUINED.

Ball and also bags.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I've already thought of three more games that coulda fought for a place in my selection.  Fuckin' lists.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Without thinking about it too much:

Demon's Souls
    Journey
    The Last of Us
    RE4
    Wind Waker
    GTA IV

Mind's gone blank.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    GoldenEye, Curtis. Jeez.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I think this being a list of personal favourites over a list of 'best games' makes it far more interesting.
    Obviously there will be cross over but there are some interesting and forgotten gems coming up too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Trials Evolution
    Ocarina of Time
    Metroid Prime
    Resi 4
    Trials HD
    Borderlands 2
    Call of Duty 4
    Virtua Tennis 3
    Peggle
    Wipeout

I thank you.
  • Don't get Slug 3 over Slug 2/X. The former has the gimmicks but the latter is better edited.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    beano wrote:
    GoldenEye, Curtis. Jeez.

Nah fuck that! I don't do FPS'.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Don't get Slug 3 over Slug 2/X. The former has the gimmicks but the latter is better edited.

3 was my first Slug and the one I've put the most time into.  I'll always remember the pure joy at playing through the first mission, had me laughing in delight more than once.  And I s'pose I just like it more.
  • Bit of a struggle doing this but chose the below for the experiences they gave me. Sure they're not strictly the best games I ever played but:-

Championship Manager 93 (locked a dwarf in a wardrobe once, such was my desire to play it)
    Peggle (spent hours trying to best every one of the challenges)
    COD4 (really got me into online MP gaming. Over 30 days played on the MP FFS)
    The Last of Us (loved every minute of it. Really hope there won't be a sequel)
    Destruction Derby (invented my own team - Team Cow and Gate. My star driver - Chip McElvey. Took on the role of commentator - "Watch those barriers, they'll only slow you down" "Your car's about fucked" etc)
    Resident Evil 4 - clicked with me in a way that no RE had before or after. 
    Morrowind - Just a massive, immersive game. The first RPG to really keep me up all night. Quite a squalid, dingy gaming environment but really added to the realism. 
    Mario Kart 64 - I'll never tire of trying to skid jump over the walls in Wario Stadium. Stayed up for 21 hours playing this when at Uni with a buddy. Lots of great family and friends moments on this.
    Bioshock - favourite SP FPS experience. Loved the story line and the styling. Memorable characters and a wonderful game. 
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Story - When we first started seeing each other, the first time my wife stayed at my family home (back from uni), we began having a few goes on my brother's copy of this. 3 days later, a National Express coach missed and a subsequent 2 days late back to uni and we had finished the game. A true co-op experience and a marriage to boot.
  • Locked a dwarf in a wardrobe?
  • Sounds worse than it was tbh.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Bully/Canis Canem Edit
    Grand Prix Legends
    Grim Fandango
    ICO
    Portal
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Red Baron 3D
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Last of Us
    We Love Katamari

DOOM
    Gran Turismo
    Grand Prix Legends
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Grim Fandango
    ICO
    Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
    Uncharted 2
    WipEout HD
  • I think this being a list of personal favourites over a list of 'best games' makes it far more interesting. Obviously there will be cross over but there are some interesting and forgotten gems coming up too.
    It's not though. It's the opposite. 'Best' games in last 20 years, taking account of games and tech out at the time of the games.
  • Ok, these things are always more interesting with a few comments. Let's try again, with a revised list;

Halo 3: My first multi-player obsession. Over 5000 games played, more amazing moments than I could even begin to list. Massive amount of love for all the regulars and particularly those who I spent vast amounts of time playing Doubles/Team Slayer with - Nexx, Shyam, Billy, Maylance, Jontacular... I can't list everyone, but it was incredible. This was a daily fixture for months. Team Get Tiger Recon shall never be forgotten.

Super Street Fighter 4: The best iteration, I feel. Got me back into fightmans big time, to the point of being involved enough to play in and commentate on Super Battle Opera qualifier streams. A special shout out to the whole Mordor Mashup crew (Cherry Pez, Shyam, Roujin, Hylian Elf, Dynamite Ready, MK... again, I can't list you all) but particularly to Nick Fullspec. An absolute legend who I'm lucky to have met. Our fightman community was built on a foundation of his hospitality and passion for games.

Baldur's Gate 2: The finest RPG of all time? It's certainly got the greatest ensemble. The first game was a cracker and this built on it in every respect. From Minsc and his miniature giant space hamster, to Edwin and his thirst for power, to the deliciously wicked Jon Irenicus, the seams are bursting with fantastic characters.

Planescape: Torment: One of the finest stories in videogames. The Nameless One and his quest to discover his past is enthralling. The set-up is intriguing and the setting peerless. Tattoos that give you stat boosts, digging long hidden artifacts out of your chest cavity, and unarguably the best writing in any game to date makes this an RPG like no other. The only game to have me obsessively playing until 2am every single night.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Great soundtrack, great level design. For me this was the high point of a fantastic series of games.

Championship Manager: God, I don't know which was my favourite. Digital cocaine and the only game that had me bunking off school so I could play it some more. The latest iterations have too much to them for my liking, but between 98-2005 these games were absolute must-haves. My Porto team shall never be forgotten.

Micro Machines '96: Just brilliant. I don't even know what to say. Just so damn fun

Dark Souls: A dark fantasy of incredible depth whichsimply oozes class. Nothing beats those first, cautious steps into a new and terrifying area. A game that demands your complete attention and rewards you for it. Has basically ruined Fable for me and is the best game action RPG I've ever played. Game of the Generation.

Warioware (GC): The best party game ever. Hilarious with a 4 players and few drinks inside you. Turtles is the true test of manliness.

Dink Smallwood: A Zelda clone with black humour and an easy to use editor. The main game itself was average/poor, really, but the amount of time I spent creating modules for this game and the enjoyment I gained from designing dungeons and writing dialogue mean it warrants a place on this list. I also made the best ever module for it, so it's special to me.
  • Dink Smallwood is obviously not SO BEST but I love it. Age of Empires 2 would take the final spot.
  • Escape wrote:
    krs wrote:
    Bully/Canis Canem Edit
    Grand Prix
    Legends
    Grim Fandango
    ICO
    Portal
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Red Baron 3D
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The Last of Us
    We Love Katamari

I did toy with alphabetism but managed approximate order of preference. Last of Us, The should be under L rather than T though. And I don't all-capitalise Ico; it's too shouty for such a non-shouty game. Aside from it having a button to make Ico shout, I mean.
  • I thought I knew my 10, then I started reading the thread and I was reminded of more games.

So, in no particular order....

NiGHTS Into Dreams (Saturn)

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)

Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive)

Samba De Amigo (Dreamcast)

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

MSR (Dreamcast)

Ocarina of Time (N64)

L4D (360)

Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Bayonetta (360)

(Possibly could change, as Rez, Shenmue, Guitaroo Man, Ico, Sonic 3 + Knuckles, Super Monkey Ball, Portal, Sands of Time and Burnout 2 are all wonderful too)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Soul calibur is bangin
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Why oh my did I forget CM/FM? For shame.
  • Just read the entirety of the thread.

I thought Streets of Rage 2 was too old, if it's not, it'd be on my list.

Without doubt the best scrolling beat em up around, better than Final Fight (I own the Mega-CD version) and even better than Guardian Heroes.

I still can't believe the feeble Mega Drive sound chip was capable of producing that soundtrack!

Also, I'd forgotten Crazy Taxi, Yoshi's Island, Zombies and Skies of Arcadia from my 'almost' list ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I'm sure I've said it before, but yeah, SoR 2 is too old. 

I'm gonna submit my list to Edge and then post it here. There will be a couple of revisions, me thinks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!