Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • beano wrote:
    Good man Mal'.

I hadn't even read your post. Nearly didn't think of Minecraft as it sometime seems more like a separate hobby/pastime than a  video  game.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Streets of Rage2
    I thought of that but it's '92.

Edit: '93 Eu, dammit too many games
  • I'd put Metal Gear Solid in in place of something else if I could be bothered.

Or MGS3.

I honestly have never thought about which one I think is better.
  • Streets of Rage2 I thought of that but it's '92. Edit: '93 Eu, dammit too many games
    Phew.
  • Streets of Rage is a poor man's Final Fight. Sorry but it just is.

Anticipating plenty of

http://www.clusterflock.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/owl-in-a-hat.jpg

at this statement
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have you played both games recently? Final Fight has got about as much depth as tiddlywinks.
  • My list of just-outside-the-list, any one of which could make it in by a swap:
    Okami
    Bayonetta
    Street Fighter IV
    Yoshi's Island (different enough to Mario 64)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Have you played both games recently? Final Fight has got about as much depth as tiddlywinks.

Played it through with Cosby the other day (FF). I think I enjoyed it more than him.

Also Tiddlywinks has nuff depth so that's a complement. You'd have to know your squop from your gromp to appreciate that though.
  • Streets of Rage is a poor man's Final Fight. Sorry but it just is

I still prefer Double Dragon II
  • Yossarian wrote:

I asked my MD owning friend over the weekend about SoR. He said they were a bit better than other games in the genre, but ultimately still shallow and repetitive brawlers. His opinion and all, but I guess I'm back to having no desire whatsoever to play the series. Just listen to the music instead.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Played it through with Cosby the other day (FF). I think I enjoyed it more than him.

And SoR2 for comparison?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I asked my MD owning friend over the weekend about SoR. He said they were a bit better than other games in the genre, but ultimately still shallow and repetitive brawlers. His opinion and all, but I guess I'm back to having no desire whatsoever to play the series. Just listen to the music instead.

Depends whether or not you enjoy brawlers. Playing SoR with my brother when growing up are one of my fondest gaming memories and we still break them out in occasion for co-op runs.
  • Yeah, my mate and I used to while away our school lunchtimes on them, when not playing Street Fighter or Samurai Shodown or KoF etc
    I know you love dat Metro City but... I'm sorry, Nick.

Final Fight = Street Fighter.
    Streets of Rage = Street Fighter 2.

They took the core idea of Final Fight and, um, made it better in every respect. 

Hylian, I played the SORemake the other week. It's amazing (despite some shonky vehicle levels) and plays really well in co-op. Shout outs to Golden Axe which has a special place in my heart, but it wasn't in the same league as SOR.

That genre was so good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck I feel like I should have MW on there. Edge lobbies were one of my favourite things this gen, and that level in the Russian apartments.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Streets of Rage is a poor man's Final Fight. Sorry but it just is.
    I know you love dat Metro City but... I'm sorry, Nick. Final Fight = Street Fighter. Streets of Rage = Street Fighter 2. They took the core idea of Final Fight and, um, made it better in every respect.  Hylian, I played the SORemake the other week. It's amazing (despite some shonky vehicle levels) and plays really well in co-op. Shout outs to Golden Axe which has a special place in my heart, but it wasn't in the same league as SOR. That genre was so good.

Golden Axe was in exactly the same league as Final Fight and Double Dragon, especially if you compare the moves available (in Golden Axe, swap out the dragons for the weapons you could pick up in the others).
  • We went through a load of scrolling beat 'em ups a few weeks ago in the retro thread. They all suffer to some extent with repetitiveness, but SoR2 is least bad offender and overall the daddy by some distance. I remember how impressed I was when I first saw FF in an arcade, but it's aged badly and is pretty basic in comparison.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Drops mic
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    And SoR2 for comparison?

No but I appreciate it had special moves which is pretty cool. My sentiment is based on just that, sentimentality, but the art/music/characters/attitude of FF wins all day.
  • Re: SoR2. I promised myself I would play it after the last time Yoss and I got into this debate. Then recently I read the RetroGamer best-MD-games article where SoR2 came top, and they did such a terrible job of trying to make the game sound good. Then my mate. I'll try and put some time in soon so that I can see for myself.
    I know you love dat Metro City but... I'm sorry, Nick. Final Fight = Street Fighter. Streets of Rage = Street Fighter 2. They took the core idea of Final Fight and, um, made it better in every respect.  Hylian, I played the SORemake the other week. It's amazing (despite some shonky vehicle levels) and plays really well in co-op. Shout outs to Golden Axe which has a special place in my heart, but it wasn't in the same league as SOR. That genre was so good.

I'll take that but the latter part of the previous post stands.
  • Nick, can't remember the soundtrack for FF, but SoR2 has one of the best soundtracks EVER. I love it, and I've never played the series!
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Cadillacs and Dinosaurs Drops mic
    Played that recently too. Was decent.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Re: SoR2. I promised myself I would play it after the last time Yoss and I got into this debate. Then recently I read the RetroGamer best-MD-games article where SoR2 came top, and they did such a terrible job of trying to make the game sound good. Then my mate. I'll try and put some time in soon so that I can see for myself.

Find another Badger who lives nearby and get in the same room together. It's the only way to do it.
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    And SoR2 for comparison?
    No but I appreciate it had special moves which is pretty cool. My sentiment is based on just that, sentimentality, but the art/music/characters/attitude of FF wins all day.

It had a lot more than special moves.
  • I'll go with the following - There's better games now to be sure but these are the games that really grabbed me over the years. There's a strong theme of multiplayer running through most of them.

Sensible Soccer (amiga)
    Super Mario Kart (snes)
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo (snes)
    Streets of Rage 2 (megadrive)
    Goldeneye (n64)
    Guitar Hero 3 (ps3 / 360)
    Pro Evo 6 (ps2)
    Batman - Arkham City (360)
    Call of Duty 4 (ps3 version)
    Football Manager 2005 (pc)

The best ten? No, but at various points these games all received insane amounts of hours. I still play 3 of them (Batman, FM2005 & GH3) and variations of others (COD, SF2).
    SFV - reddave360
  • JonB wrote:
    We went through a load of scrolling beat 'em ups a few weeks ago in the retro thread. They all suffer to some extent with repetitiveness, but SoR2 is least bad offender and overall the daddy by some distance. I remember how impressed I was when I first saw FF in an arcade, but it's aged badly and is pretty basic in comparison.

As I said in that thread (rhyme, yo!), I need to take part a lot more!
  • Jeez, where were all you chaps when we were playing all the scrolling beat 'em ups in the retro thread? Could have had a much better conversation going.

Edit: Not you specifically, Elf.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Like? (Yoss)

Pair moves that could be executed between two players, actual moves with weapons beyond hitting someone and watching them fall over (unless you were Xan) and a generally far wider range of standard hits (such as a jump kick that you could use to stun an opponent and set them up for a combo), throws and combos.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!