Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • TheDJR wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    @Tempy

Needs more nostalgia, no FFVII?

VI is my favourite, XII is the one that changed things up for the better. All VII did, imho, is introduce FF to more PAL players. Nothing more.

Or you could argue that FFVII introducing the JRPG to the mainstream in the West is the most important thing to ever happen in the genre and gaming history, if you consider the impact it had for Sony.

Yeah, true. But "best" has to feature in there too, and in my opionion etc etc, VII isn't as good as VI and XII.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Oh man I forgot Pokemon

Revised
    1. + 2. Sonic and Knuckles/ Sonic 3 combo
    3. Banjo Kazooie
    4. Timesplitters 2

5. Wind Waker
    6. Smash Bros Melee
    7. Metroid Prime

8. Goldeneye
    9. Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate
    10. Pokemon Red/Blue

Oh and there isn't much order to that list really
  • FFVII was the first blockbuster game really, wasn't it? Kinda set the tone for a whole two generations I'd say.
  • Gonna leave out this gen because I can!

FFVII
    FFIX
    Persona 4
    Half-Life 2
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Counter-Strike
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Chrono Cross
    RE4
    MGS3
  • Yeah, I added it due to the pro-nostalgia clause. Was torn between that and FFX on sheer hours of my life sucked away.
  • Trials HD
    Morrowind
    GTA3
    Goldeneye
    FF7

Yea i'm only going with 5

Edit- + Farcry 2, so i'm going with a 6. It's an awkward number for a list, granted.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    krs wins.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • @Live

I was tempted by a Pokemon game but couldn't decide which, probably Gold/Silver.
  • I wrote and deleted Gold/Silver then Red/Blue about 5 times.
    Gold/Silver I definitely preferred but Red/Blue were like a revelation at the time and captured mine and my mates imagination like nuts.

I still remeber getting a GBA Color and Pokemon Blue in the states before it was out here and my mate watching over my shoulder for hours as I played. (I offered him a go but he wanted to wait, I'm not a total cunt).
  • In no particular order:

Halo CE
    Mass Effect
    Sensible World of Soccer
    Gears of War 2
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Zelda OoT
    Resident Evil 4
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Halo Reach

Unfortunately Geoff Crammond's F1Grand Prix was released to early to qualify.
  • I didn't have room for Bayonetta or Street Fighter IV. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @Live

Game Boy connector cable!
  • YES!

And unplugging it mid-trade to duplicate Pokemon, everytime aging a bit as you panic your level 100 Mewtwo could be gone forever.

Or the entire afternoon spent starting and restarting the game until me and my mate had all 3 starting Pokemon each.
  • Used to be weirdly easy for me to do this, because there simply weren't many games to play, and less that had a hope of being fucking great. Can't do it with any accuracy no mo, my tastes are always subject to heavy revision and the flow of new releases from all (but mostly non-AAA) sectors is daunting.

3rd Strike is ultimately the exception because if forced to play nothing else for the rest of time, that'd be the one. I'm still not good enough at it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    In no particular order:

Halo CE
    Mass Effect
    Sensible World of Soccer
    Gears of War 2
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Zelda OoT
    Resident Evil 4
    Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Halo Reach

Unfortunately Geoff Crammond's F1Grand Prix was released to early to qualify.

Reach but no 3, 2, ODST or 4? Mentalist.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And yes, Live, that's the order I'd put them in except CE goes first.
  • I know Yoss. I really enjoyed the campaign in Reach, more so than 3 and ODST, mind you I think ODST is better than 3. Can't comment on 4 because I haven't finished it yet and I couldn't get into 2. I realise there isn't much love for Reach, but it's one of my favourites.

I've just realised that I forgot Okami. Damn it.
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Pure gold. Beautiful graphics, great voice acting, bags of charm and very rewarding. 

Bad Company 2 - Most fun I've had on-line. Perfect objective based shooting. Too many great moments to list.

Halo: CE - I really dug the mystery of the story at the time and the graphics and the solidity of the whole thing was amazing back then. Replayed it loads, finished it on the hardest setting, which is unusual for me. System link provided a lot of fun as well.

Metropolis Street Racer - Maybe getting the biggest nostalgia benefit here, but I played this loads and I remember it being perfect, every entry in the series since has had a variety of flaws.

GTA Vice City - The setting threw up enough material for the story to carry the game in this one I think, something they haven't manages since. The soundtrack was a bit of a leap forward as well.

Rallisport Challenge - This could be where console racers left the arcade behind for me. Lots of content, lots of fun.

Rez - Tarted up Space Harrier is far better than it should be.

Shenmue - Perfectly realised little Japanese world. I played this for ages without ever feeling it was chore.

Perfect Dark - Even at the time I wasn't that keen on the campaign, it's a rubbish story on a machine that chugs under the stress. Split screen MP was even more fun than Goldeneye though.

Burnout 3 - Two games for the price of one. Very fast racing and hilariously evil crash junctions.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    @Tempy

VI is my favourite, XII is the one that changed things up for the better. All VII did, imho, is introduce FF to more PAL players. Nothing more.

Or you could argue that FFVII introducing the JRPG to the mainstream in the West is the most important thing to ever happen in the genre and gaming history, if you consider the impact it had for Sony.

Didn't secret of mana already do that?

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    I know Yoss. I really enjoyed the campaign in Reach, more so than 3 and ODST, mind you I think ODST is better than 3. Can't comment on 4 because I haven't finished it yet and I couldn't get into 2. I realise there isn't much love for Reach, but it's one of my favourites.

I've just realised that I forgot Okami. Damn it.

To be fair, the campaign in Reach was very good, it was the MP that let it down.
  • mk64 wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    @Tempy

Didn't secret of mana already do that?

Didn't have FMVs doesn't count
  • Has anyone put GT in a list yet?

Also. I think WoW is probably the most influential game changer ever.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Shame on me for no Sim city or championship manager. I spent months of my life playing those. And civ rev ds
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Skondo wrote:
    I know Yoss. I really enjoyed the campaign in Reach, more so than 3 and ODST, mind you I think ODST is better than 3. Can't comment on 4 because I haven't finished it yet and I couldn't get into 2. I realise there isn't much love for Reach, but it's one of my favourites. I've just realised that I forgot Okami. Damn it.
    To be fair, the campaign in Reach was very good, it was the MP that let it down.

I have never played Halo multiplayer.
  • Looks like I can stick with the same 10 I did when we had our own top 10 thread a while back. SF2 Turbo was apparently released in August 1993, so just counts.

Dark Souls (360)
    Super Metroid (SNES)
    Mario 64 (N64)
    Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)
    Fire Emblem (GBA)
    Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA)
    Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Bayonetta (360)
    F-Zero X (N64)
  • No particular order.

Halo 3
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Dark Souls
    Age of Empires 2
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Planescape: Torment
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Championship Manager 01/02 (Possibly. Versions blend into one another).
    Micro Machines '96.
    Dink Smallwood

Special Mentions: Blood, Final Fantasy VI.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not ordered.

Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Mario 64 (N64)
    F-Zero X (N64)
    Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    Oshaberi Parodius (Saturn)
    R-Type Final (PS2)
    Mario Kart DD (Gamecube)
    Super Monkey Ball (Gamecube)
    Tetris Party Deluxe (Wii)
    Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh Micro Machines and F Zero X, good calls guys.
  • Smackdown 2 on the PS1 nearly made my list, spent weeks messing around on that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Leaving out WarioWare Inc and Mr Driller is giving me twitches.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!