Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • Seriously tempted to go for Sin and Punishment 2. Its like Rez and Gunstar Heroes and R Type had a very sticky affair, and birthed a superior specimen.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I considered it and decided against it, but it would make my top ten across Wii/360/PS3.  One of Treasure's best.
  • Will do my list at some point tonight. Is it on the official Edge forum?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What official Edge forum?! I miss something?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My bad, meant website
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Aw, right.

My definite top 8 or 9, still thinking about the last couple of places. A few words beide each rather than a paragraph or so.

1. Zelda: OoT (N64) - 3D jump success, best adventuring
    2. Mario 64 (N64) - pure fun, 3D success
    3. Metroid Prime (GC) - more 2D->3D success, atmosphere, unique
    4. Journey (PS3) - beautiful, 'art', 'emotion', unique online
    5. ICO (PS2) - emotive, minimalist, narrative style
    6. Okami (PS2) - beautiful, epic, like Zelda
    7. Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - refreshing, (sub)genre-changing
    8. Halo CE (XBox) - fun, AI, console FPS!
    9. Resident Evil 4 (GC) - tense, atmospheric, action, template setter
    10. (Super) Street Fighter IV (various) - genre revival, ease of access plus depth, BESTEST FIGHTER!

I felt sad that I ended up excluding Half Life 2 and MGS3, and Bayonetta. And and and... and so many others.
  • 1. Super Mario 64 (N64)
    2. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
    3. Zelda: OoT (N64)
    4. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
    5. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    6. Resident Evil 2 (PS)
    7. Driver (PS)
    8. Wave Race 64 (N64)
    9. Ridge Racer (PS)
    10. WCW/nWo Revenge (N64)

Could go on and on with a came close list but I can't be bothered.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @elf

Shit. Seeing Journey in there reminded me I should have put the Walking Dead in.
  • I would put it into my top 10, but I only pressed a button here and there and then just cried.
  • 1. Rez (DC)
    2. We Love Katamari (PS2)
    3. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Xbox)
    4. GTA: Vice City (PS2)
    5. The Last Of Us (PS3)
    6. Gitaroo Man (PS2)
    7. Virtua Tennis (DC)
    8. Outrun 2 (Xbox)
    9. The House Of The Dead 2 (DC)
    10. God Of War (PS2)
  • @afgavinstan good shout on Out Run 2, excellent game!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1. Zelda: OoT (N64) - 3D jump success.

Pfft, there wasn't even a jump button. 3D jump fail.
  • Sent mine in. Kind of chickened out but I can't help it. These games were the cream of a very creamy crop. Could have easily included another 30 games.

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - Perfection of motion controls, culminating in one of the most cathartic, tense and visually stunning final battles.
    2. Super Mario Galaxy - Perfect camera, perfect controls and a beautiful sense of fun and subversion.
    3. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - The game that defined the medium.
    4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I thought they would run out of ideas. They clearly did not.
    5. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Generates an incredible, coherent 'sense of space' and allows an incredible variety of options on how to tackle each encounter.
    6. Super Monkey Ball - Monkey. Target.
    7. Animal Crossing - The only game that kept me virtual fishing for a month of Sundays.
    8. Pikmin - Beautifully organic, unlike any other game or series. Capable of inducing true guilt come sunset.
    9. Wipeout 2097 - On top of introducing me to bands like Orbital, it also introduced me to a wonderful, tense, rewarding racing series that will never die. Vale, Psygnosis.
    10. Sin and Punishment Successor of The Skies - All the best bits of Rez, Gunstar Heroes and RType in one. The sequel that should never have existed yet somehow...
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sent mine.

#1 Mario 64 (N64)
    This brought back the sheer sense of wonder that games gave me back in the days of the arcade. They got so much right out of the gate in this it is creepy. You can make Mario tip-toe. I've recently gone back to play this again and the level design and sense of control is still quite superb.

#2 Mario Kart DD (Gamecube)
    Miyamoto's original karting vision was realised with the graphical abilities of the Gamecube. Having 2 riders per kart allows for more tactical decisions while facilitating genuinely enjoyable co-op. Throw in a set of under-rated tracks (Baby Park is a mode in itself) - and LAN mode for the rich.

#3 Super Monkey Ball (Gamecube)
    Pure gaming. Totally self-referential. It doesn't make sense to try and relate this to the real world, but everything makes sense within it. The spectrum of level difficulty matches every need, while the sheer variety and value for money on offer blows a raspberry at the competition. The supporting party games could each be a game on their own with a bit more work and content and they pay tribute to the brilliant initial idea and its rock sold implementation.

#4 F-Zero X (N64)
    For sheer balls to the wall racing there is nothing else like it. It beats GX because it was just a bit too hard for it's own good - I just found X more entertaining - plus there is the infinite X cup.

#5 Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    Just when some of us started to doubt Nintendo's creative capacity - this box of ideas was thrown at us. The perfect control, camera and new gravity engine come together to facilitate game ideas used at times in just one level that other devs would base an entire game on.

#6 Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Continually swapping places with Super Mario World for best ever 2D platformer - the treasure hunt replay value means there is more to do in YI for the experts - and that graphical style is beautiful and timeless. This made me pause for thought before moving up a gen.

#7 Virtua Tennis 1 or 2 (Dreamcast).
    Best ever Tennis game. Tennis is the perfect sport for TV - you can see everything - and therefore it makes for perfect competitive videogaming for 2 or 4 players.

#8 Worms Armageddon (PC)
    Ground the office to a standstill - management had to have a word. Seemingly endless variety, humour, scope for vindictivness, and enough tactics to make it feel chess-like.

#9 Saturn Bomberman
    Bomberman scraped his bottom on the shark's fin here. Perfect implementation from the gorgeous main mode , through the unique puzzle-like Master Solitaire mode, to the definitive multiplayer mode with its bewlidering array of options and arenas - including the concept-like 10 player Wide arena.

#10 Tetris Party Deluxe (Wii)
    This first game that seems to have found a way to play with the Tetris recipe and come up with several extremely enjoyable modes. Add in solid online and local multi-player and leave to simmer forever.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Super Bomber was Nov '93 in EU. A late contender. What's the Edge deadline?
  • Saturn Bomberman was much later than that. I think the Edge deadline was mid 93, can't quite remember off the top of my head.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Edge deadline is August 19th, 1993, and Saturn Bomberman was out in 1996.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Never played the Saturn one, I'm talking the SNES one (which I loved).
  • Saturn one was 8 Player I believe, generally considered the definitive Bomberman.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    #4 F-Zero X (N64)
    For sheer balls to the wall racing there is nothing else like it. It beats GX because it was just a bit too hard for it's own good - I just found X more entertaining - plus there is the infinite X cup.

Couldn't agree with you more here, was very close to my top 10 along with Lylat Wars. With Wave Rave 64 they make up a trilogy of great games that have yet to be bettered in my opinion. Really hope Nintendo develop some in house sequels soon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Saturn one was 8 Player I believe, generally considered the definitive Bomberman.

10 player.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Saturn one was 8 Player I believe, generally considered the definitive Bomberman.

10 player.

Yup - all but one of the battle levels support up to 8 players, but there is special 10 player arena too - graphics get a bit small with that level - but nowadays it isn't really an issue with screen sizes.

and here's the really nice single player Master Mode - plays like a puzzle/score attack game.

• I quite liked Bomberman Generation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - Messed about a wee bit in the story mode but I've really only played the battle mode of that on the GC version. Nice game. The thing is, it doesn't need to do anything new now - Bomberman has reached its zenith - nothing wrong with that btw.
  • @Vela, amazing top 5. I refrained from having more than one game from a series otherwise mine would've been just full of Zelda and Mario titles.
  • davyK wrote:
    Yeah - Messed about a wee bit in the story mode but I've really only played the battle mode of that on the GC version. Nice game. The thing is, it doesn't need to do anything new now - Bomberman has reached its zenith - nothing wrong with that btw.

I agree. Like Worms, Katamari, Monkey Ball - Bomberman is a concept that reached perfection very early on. All fantastic series with a few unnecessary entries, but plenty of great ones.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @Vela, amazing top 5. I refrained from having more than one game from a series otherwise mine would've been just full of Zelda and Mario titles.

I tried to add more diversity, but it just felt wrong to put anything other than my favourites.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!