Edge's top 20 of the last 20 years
  • Oh and I missed SF2. Top 13 yes?
  • SF2 is too old. Unless you go for Super.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Didn't some one post a pic of it in Edge as 'Hype' ?
    Is its Super it wont make the list. Thinking about it it must be way too old.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was a Eurogamer podcast a couple of months ago revisiting the second KOTOR game, and listening to it made me really really want to see what that game is like.

I'm gonna re do my list today.
  • I'm going to throw together a bit of a list of top games on a per platform basis. Then I'll go back and see which ones qualify in terms of date of release. Some of them I didn't play til after 1995 (mainky Amiga games) so they might not count. TBC ...

Amiga: Speedball 2
    Mega Drive: Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes
    PSX: Worms, Metal Gear Solid 3, FFVII, Wipeout 2097
    N64: Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64
    PS2: Rez, PES3, MGS3 Subsistence, We <3 Katamari
    Dreamcast: Soul Calibur, Toy Commander
    XBox: Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, PGR2, Halo
    Gamecube: Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4, Beyond Good and Evil
    PS3: Pixeljunk Monsters
    360: PacMan Championship Edition
    Wii: Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, SMG2, Skyward Sword, World of Goo, Sin & Punishment 2, Pikmin (NPC)
    DS/GBA: Advance Wars DS, Chrono Trigger, Electroplankton, Starship Patrol
    PSP:Lumines
    Wii U: too early to tell
    3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening

Now to do some serious editing and recall efforts.

Edit: crossed out the ineligible pre-1993 games.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    SF2 is too old. Unless you go for Super.

Or Turbo. MK says no.
  • Vela wrote:
    Toy Commander

I wish I'd played that (I think I may have played a demo). It's probably one of the games I nearly bought the most amount of times, and is a real shame considering some of the crap I did own on the Dreamcast. Hard as nails and extremely varied is my lasting memory from the reviews.
  • I went for SF2 Turbo (SNES). August '93 apparently, so it should just get in.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Toy Commander
    I wish I'd played that (I think I may have played a demo). It's probably one of the games I nearly bought the most amount of times, and is a real shame considering some of the crap I did own on the Dreamcast. Hard as nails and extremely varied is my lasting memory from the reviews.

The game really hit its stride when you took a helicopter down the toilet to attack the cockroach queen.

Definitely a tough game in the latter half (infuriatingly so in some levels) but just unlike anything else since with the sole exception perhaps of Chibi Robo.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    SWoS probably ousts goldeneye from my list. Good to see Super Meat Boy finally getting some other love.
  • I think the awfulness of Toy Racer put me off, which is unfair. My girlfriend told me she'd bought me a Dreamcast game, which was great news until I unwrapped it.
  • Never got to try Toy Racer. Aussie retailers dropped the DC in very short order after Sega pulled the pin. In fact, you could almost argue they never even launched it here to begin with.
  • Escape wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    SF2 is too old. Unless you go for Super.
    Or Turbo. MK says no.

I was tempted by HDR as its the pinnacle for me but I went for 4 because of the amount of culture change it brought about.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Plus 4 revived the genre, whilst SSF2T was merely great.  IV is more suited to this list.
  • My quick list:

1 Battlefield 1942 - PC
    2 Deus Ex - PC
    3 SM64 - N64
    4 Uncharted 2 - Ps3
    5 Gears of War - 360
    6 Demon's Souls - Ps3
    7 Persona 3 Fes - Ps2
    8 GTA 3 - Ps2
    9 The Last of Us - Ps3
    10 Journey - Ps3
  • JonB wrote:
    I went for SF2 Turbo (SNES). August '93 apparently, so it should just get in.

EDGE reviewed (a version of) Street Fighter II on SNES, Mega Drive and PC Engine.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I went for SF2 Turbo (SNES). August '93 apparently, so it should just get in.
    EDGE reviewed (a version of) Street Fighter II on SNES, Mega Drive and PC Engine.

They did indeed - the review of SNES SF2T is the first in their special "100 most important reviews" that was pushed out some time ago.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • In their first top 100 games, the entry for Street fighter 2 says that its so good because people will still be playing this in ten years time. 

That was January 2000. They were a good ten years out.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, SF2 is an all time classic. It'll be played as long as videogames are.
  • I like it solely because I beat a self declared 'Street Fighter Pro' at it using the Rock Band drum kit. First round was me just twatting the shit out of it  and occasionally jabbing the d-pad. Second round I hit the pads and someone else used the d-pad. I've never seen someone so crestfallen in my life.
  • I call bs. Which characters were you both?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Like I know. I think the key here is that he wasn't anywhere near as good as he thought he was. Otherwise he wouldn't have been beaten by a twat with a drum kit.
  • You don't know the SF2 characters?! You're about my age, right? Mid-late 20's?

What kind of videogame geek are you, D?
  • I don't really care about it. If I play a beat em up its tekken. I was probably Ryu.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Spoiler:

edit: Oh god too much text sorry

In summary, I think these games are well mint:
    Dark Souls
    Demon's Souls
    Ikaruga
    Halo: CE
    Halo 3
    God Hand
    SM64
    RE4
    Link's Awakening
    F-Zero GX
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    No Trials, Dubs?
  • Top ten:

Halo
    Okami
    Shenmue
    PES 5
    Plants vs Zombies
    GTA: San Andreas
    Soul Calibur
    NiGHT's Into Dreams
    Advance Wars
    Jumping Flash

Honourable mentions: Demon's Souls, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis 3, Ferrari F355 Challenge, COD4, Ridge Racer Type 4, Ridge Racer 2 (PSP), Wipeout 2097, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Daytona USA (Arcade), FFVII, Jet Set Radio Future, Outrun 2, Sega Rally, Power Stone 1&2, Mario Kart Super Circuit, Drop 7, Peggle, Mario 3D Land, Burning Rangers, Resident Evil (GameCube), Everybody's Golf (PSP), Sega Bass Fishing, House Of The Dead 2, Links 2004.....
  • Wanna do a special shout for Gears 3 multi, if only because it got me to actually talk to summa yous.

Plus it's a really superb deathmatch game.
  • I think I now have a definite top 7. Working on the last 3. 

Good shout from Dubs on Link's Awakening. I love it, but think that taking Zelda to 3D and showing others how to do a 3D adventure game is too much of a plus point for OoT to be toppled as best of its time. 

Oh, and I wanted Ikaruga there too. Or maybe Mushi Futari 1.5. So many great games.
  • So a re-think of my ten pretty much based on "it had to be reviewed by Edge" and got major play time at its time:

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (snes)
    Mario 64 (n64)
    Burnout 2 (ps2)
    Goldeneye (n64)
    Guitar Hero III (ps3 / 360)
    Call of Duty 4:MW (ps3)
    Football Manager 2005 (pc)
    Batman: Arkham City (ps3 / 360)
    Pro Evo 6 (ps2)
    Geometry Wars 2 (360)

Pretty happy with that list. Would happily play all those games now. At a pinch, there is an argument for Capcom v SNK 2 or SSF4 AE to replace Turbo but when it came out all me and my friends played was Turbo. Funny looking at this list and seeing games I bought, traded and then re-bought later on when I missed them. 

I still have Goldeneye & Mario for the n64, Geometry Wars and Batman on the 360, Pro Evo for my ps3 (have an early ps3 so it emulates off the ps2 disc), FM 2005 is still in my laptop diskdrive, Guitar Hero 3 for the ps3 so the only two I dont have off this list is COD:MW and Burnout 2.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!