Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I do have one but haven't got around to buying a cable and testing it. Sheer laziness on my part.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Since unlocking the first ship I have not managed better than sector 4. I guess everybody playing on easy to get to the final boss bastard?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Out of twenty hours on Easy I've seen the last boss twice. So yes, easy. Very much.
  • I've played this an utterly sickening 52 hours now, so have got good enough that most times I'm beating the boss without much sweat on easy (if I'm using a ship I know). Haven't yet beaten it on normal, though.

Would be nice to have some different mission types or something.

Not sure what other missions types you could have, really. Use a boarding party to grab an item from a hostile ship and jump away without destroying it, I suppose.

I've had one where you just had to last long enough (in close proximity to a star) without destroying the other ship. Some of the achievements can be viewed a bit like missions.

If you've got any ideas, it might be worth talking to the mod community about them.

It seems like there's only really one strategy to beat the final boss. Having a weapon that sets ships on fire is a lot of fun but it's pretty useless in the endgame.

Last time I beat the final boss, I made heavy use of fire bombs. So there.

What's the "one strategy" you're thinking of?
  • It seems like there's only really one strategy to beat the final boss. Having a weapon that sets ships on fire is a lot of fun but it's pretty useless in the endgame.

Completely disagree with you on that point - I've taken him out multiple ways. Including the fire beam:
    Spoiler:
  • Exactly; something similar to that spoilered bit is a pretty essential part to a lot of the tactics I've used on it.

Those of you who haven't groked it yet, do you mind if we openly discuss tactics, or would you rather we spoiler it?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've not looked in the Dark Souls thread and I imagine tactics are all over the shop in there.

I have no opinion on spoilering such things though.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Anyone managed to kill the last boss by teleporting crew over?
  • I'm waiting until I unlock a Rock or Mantis ship to play with boarding parties. If you send people over, can they damage the hull or just people and systems?
  • Anyone managed to kill the last boss by teleporting crew over?

Yes
    Spoiler:
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    What's the "one strategy" you're thinking of?
    For me it's basically just loads of burst lazers. But I guess if your ion weapons are good enough you can use almost anything in combination with them. Don't really like to rely on missiles because of the bit where it uses defence drones, and the chance of running out of ammo.

• Anyone managed to kill the last boss by teleporting crew over?
    Yes
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, that was my boss technique in last Kestrel run.
    Spoiler:
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I was worried that was the case.  Can't see myself spending the time required to play this style of game if it's just me, so I'm out.

AJ_ wrote:
    I've played this an utterly sickening 52 hours now
    Is this pretty good then AJ? ;)
    GT: Knight640
  • Haha. Unfortunately so. I've got such a backlog of games and personal projects building up. I got ep. 3 of The Walking Dead when it came out and haven't played it yet; it's only two hours long!

To be fair, the first comment was before I'd realised the game is meant to be played over and over and can be finished in a couple of hours or so, though.
  • Just been playing this.  Seems very harsh.  Finally got a good run together, but four mantis crew boarded and fucked me over big time.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I find good doors are pretty important and are usually one of the first things I upgrade; most boarders can be weakened considerably and often eliminated entirely by suffocating them with clever door management.
  • I routinely win on easy now with around 3500 points, and win most of the time on normal. It's all about the Osprey! Hunting for the other ships. Steam doesn't appear to cloud save all that well.
  • I don't think it uses Cloud Save with FTL at all. Helpfully, the devs tell you where the profile/save files are located, so you can just back that up. I sync mine with SugarSync, so I've got the same profile on all computers as well as it being backed up.
    Windows

My Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight

Mac

~/Library/Application Support/FasterThanLight/

If you can't find your Library folder, it's because on Mac OS Lion it's defaulted to hidden. Open a Terminal and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Or just open Finder and "Go->Go to Folder" and enter the path

Linux

For most users, it will be in ~/.local/share/FasterThanLight/ 

...but if you modified XDG_DATA_HOME it will be in [XDG_DATA_HOME]/FasterThanLight

Also, it's all about mastering every ship; playing the same one all the time's boring.
  • I know, that's why I'm trying to unlock them all! The Osprey's artillery beam makes it the high score attack ship of choice, I think.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sugar sync seems to beat the pants off Dropbox on paper. Not tried. Think I am going to leap into it.

Played a game of this last night before heading out into the night. Got owned on easy, big smashing missiles all over my jazz. Reduced me from 4 crew to one. He died trying to fix the oxygen.

Might remember to try this on easy sometime soon...keep starting on normal.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    The Osprey's artillery beam makes it the high score attack ship of choice, I think.

I reckon the Rock ship will probably be better; you get more scrap if you don't destroy the ship.

beano wrote:
    Sugar sync seems to beat the pants off Dropbox on paper. Not tried. Think I am going to leap into it.

It really seems to; I was astonished Dropbox is so popular when I discovered it only syncs one particular folder. I actually spent a few hours researching those types of service for work; SkyDrive gave the most free storage, but SugarSync won on features.

If you fancy signing up through this link, it'll give us both an extra haf gig. Assuming you haven't already, of course.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    On it mate via your referral. Exactly why I brought it up again (o:
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Trying to use the teleporter. In a moment of genius I just blew up an enemy ship with two of my crew onboard.
  • Has anyone finished the stasis pod mission? Seems it actually takes a fair bit of luck; every time I get it, there's no way I can get to where it says I need to go.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Has anyone finished the stasis pod mission? Seems it actually takes a fair bit of luck; every time I get it, there's no way I can get to where it says I need to go.

Ditto. It always seems to appear around sector 5, leaving me just 2 sectors that could be the right one.
  • Last time it told me I had to go to a sector I'd just left.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Just had a crack, remembering easy. Caught up with the end of game boss. Got pwnd.
    Spoiler:

Think I started playing at 9.30. Proper time-sink. Ace.
  • What strategy were you going for with that? The upgrades look really oddly balanced...

Random aside: my two highest scoring games have been done with the Kestrel but neither beat the final boss.
    Spoiler:
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    First pop so no strategy- more like "Let's get to this bastard fast. Oh shit."

Yeah I think I managed 33?? or something this time round.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!