FTL - new ace PC game
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You deliberately leave compartments vented..... interesting. Guessing that's part fire prevention, part anti-boarder. See the logic for fire but I've never really noticed venting make much difference to boarder health. One assumes it must though.

It certainly does if it's vacuum when they arrive, I had two Mantis go straight for the cockpit (before the security drone was installed) and by the time they'd got through the door they were weak enough that my pilot bested them on his own.
  • Once you've got the doors upgraded to max you can choke out boarders before they break thru the first 1 or 2 doors.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You deliberately leave compartments vented..... interesting. Guessing that's part fire prevention, part anti-boarder. See the logic for fire but I've never really noticed venting make much difference to boarder health. One assumes it must though.

It does affect boarder health (if they are orcanic - doesn't affect boarding drones for example) but takes time for all the oxygen to leave and then start doing damage. Worth doing if you have boarders and blast doors to slow them down.

I like AJ's vented approach, hadn't thought of it myself. You need the repair drone though as if you send in normal crew to remair damage, they'll take a battering.

Unlocked slug cruiser yesterday - the anti bio beam is wickedly good fun.
  • I did it before I had the security drone, too; with the health nanos it's not a problem to close up the compartment and run a guy there.  Had to be careful repairing door control but, even when crew health was low, juggling people about wasn't too complicated.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    No idea where you guys are getting all this scrap from.
  • I am on this over the weekend. I will likely chat to all of you on steeeeeaaaaam about it kk cheers bbz
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Going to as many jump points as possible within a sector and planning the route ahead, basically.  If you can get a long-range scanner, that really helps matters.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    How do beam weapons work exactly. I see that you're supposed to draw a line of some sort but it's not super clear where and what it's supposed to trace. Is it literally draw a line over the things you want to target?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Draw a line over as many rooms as possible. As the beam does its damage per room, it hits so you can get at least 6 hull damage to a ship with it's shields down if the beam does 2 damage. Even the tiniest corners count.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Going to as many jump points as possible within a sector and planning the route ahead, basically.  If you can get a long-range scanner, that really helps matters.

My luck seems to dictate I only find the helpful enhancements like that and the scrap arm about sector 6 or 7. Game hates me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    I don't think I'm going to touch normal until I'm sure I know what I'm doing on easy.  Don't think that'll be too far away, though. This is my favourite build so far: 3WzrN.jpg The drone compartment should be vacuum, too, but I forgot after my gunner was killed and had to be replaced by the security guy who was living there. Looking at it now, ion blaster and heavy laser should have been the other way 'round, too.

Why haven't you got the drone room vented? If anyone teleports there directly you've got the two bots ready to defend/repair and can quickly spawn more to the same location if they die.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I heard in the giantbombcast that you can also upgrade the O2 room for the quick refill and power it on and off as needed to get some extra power for other things.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Draw a line over as many rooms as possible. As the beam does its damage per room, it hits so you can get at least 6 hull damage to a ship with it's shields down if the beam does 2 damage. Even the tiniest corners count.

But beware that shields limit it's damage (apart fromt the artillery beam on the federation cruiser) so it's usually best to try and knock out their shield before firing the beam.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Why haven't you got the drone room vented? If anyone teleports there directly you've got the two bots ready to defend/repair and can quickly spawn more to the same location if they die.
    I had a spare Mantis in there for those times you get covered in borders. If the drone room is taken down, everything's a bit fucked; if the drone wasn't busy, the Mantis would nip across to the engine room.  My gunner had died a while back, and I'd forgotten to open the door after I'd replaced him the the Mantis.
  • Oh, I hate this game so much.

You're doing amazing, everything feels like it's going well and all of a sudden you run into something that completely turns the tables.

I'm yet to make it out of the 3rd or 4th system but I refuse to play on easy.

It really is a great game though.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Had a bosh of this finally. I started off with Captain Bigend, Pollard and Bulldog assisting. We found a drifter and a new recruit, Caldwell he said his name was. Sadly both Caldwell and Bulldog died a jump later when martians boarded and a fire started in the engine room. Bigend and Pollard took care of things until we attacked a pirate ship then saved a slave from the destroyed remains in Sector 3. Sadly Bigend died and Pollard took the captains place while the help dealt with the weapons. It was fun but just a jump further we would've made it to Sector 5. The crew of the Naive Bayes, we salute you.

Could deffo get addicted adding to steam.

edit: hah - just got owned. So hope this comes out on Play.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • By Play, you mean Android? I'd really like that. Really, really like that.

Since I'm here, this was my most recent build, it absolutely kicked arse.  Forgot to grab the equipment screen again, but I think there was a shield recharge, long range scanner and FTL booster there.
    Spoiler:
  • I'd love it on iOS as I've rarely got the time to sit at my PC for anything except Uni work at the minute.
  • Give it up, Tempy, you're a first year, you don't have any work to do. It'd be a lovely match for iOS but I'm just glad it's available on something. It gets a bit samey after a while but the random nature keeps it perky and chasing down the weird new ships gives me something to focus on. The Osprey seems almost overpowered mind you.
  • No, I'm not a first year, I'm an Access course student doing two years worth of work in one year, whilst working AND playing lot of Borderlands 2.

But my statement is accurate, I rarely use my PC for anything but work, I want to FTL in bed.
  • @Tempy @Bollockoff
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Loved loved loved that game. Engrossing and very creepy single player which had the right balance of linearity with ship customization and strategy.
    Never played it myself but looking at videos, it does look great. This could be good news then.
  • A recent update added the option to have jump paths shown when you hover over the beacons on the map, if anyone hadn't noticed. I'm finding it well useful.

I'm also quite sick at the amount of time Steam is telling me I've spent playing this.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Sod normal mode.
    If I ever complete the game on normal it'll be pure luck.
  • I didn't think I'd bother with it, but with some ships I'm finding easy too easy, now.  Once I've figured out how to run all the ships I've got, I'll probably play on normal until I unlock another.

The stealth fighter's proving a right bastard to understand, though; seems to involve a hell of a lot of manual timing.
  • Bit of a non-story, but at least they haven't said it won't happen. Fingers crossed for an Android version.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Would be nice to have some different mission types or something. It seems like there's only really one strategy to beat the final boss. Having a weapon that sets ships on fire is a lot of fun but it's pretty useless in the endgame.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    It'd be nice if I could play it on my small laptop.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!