FTL - new ace PC game
  • beano wrote:
    First pop so no strategy- more like "Let's get to this bastard fast. Oh shit." Yeah I think I managed 33?? or something this time round.

Fair enough. No way your score was that low, if you got to the boss, btw.

Oh, and I just got the pacifist achievement; well silly that one.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    3858 to be exact.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yeah, perfectly respectable.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Just had an extremely long battle with an Engi ship. They had thick shields and defence drones which none of my weapons could get through. Had a teleporter but they had a sickbay so I wasn't getting anywhere there either. Eventually realised the only way I could beat them was to teleport my whole crew over even my weak Engi's.
  • Just had an extremely long battle with an Engi ship. They had thick shields and defence drones which none of my weapons could get through. Had a teleporter but they had a sickbay so I wasn't getting anywhere there either. Eventually realised the only way I could beat them was to teleport my whole crew over even my weak Engi's.

Like the solution.

An alternative would have been to smartbomb the medbay (I like smartbombs), then teleport over
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Managed to kill off nearly all the crew in the boss on the first phase. Would have been awesome if I'd had a fire weapon. Could have sat back and watched the fire spread through the ship unopposed, slowly destroying it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Used the teleporter for the first time today. Here's a tip, make sure you bring your crew back before the ship you're attacking explodes. Fucksticks.
  • Managed to kill off nearly all the crew in the boss on the first phase. Would have been awesome if I'd had a fire weapon. Could have sat back and watched the fire spread through the ship unopposed, slowly destroying it.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Used the teleporter for the first time today. Here's a tip, make sure you bring your crew back before the ship you're attacking explodes. Fucksticks.

Another tip (that is quite fun/annoying to find out by yourself, so is spoilered)
    Spoiler:
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    :)

I did know that, but didn't find out myself. It was mentioned on the Three Moves Ahead podcast about the game.

(http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/faster-than-light-slower-than-death if anyone wants a listen)

They only talk about the game as such, not its creation. But they do mention an Android game that's supposedly similar that unfortunately I can't now remember the name of.
  • Spoiler:

I've heard that a couple of times before, is everyone not upgrading their sensors or not paying attention?
  • If anyone does listen to that podcast, let me know what the similar Android game is, that interests me.

Also, has anyone got any tips for the stealth ship? I'm having real problems getting the hang of it and have yet to get past sector 4.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's severely hampered because of lack of shields, so I guess hit as many stores as you can and cross your fingers you find some.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @Tempy @Bollockoff
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Loved loved loved that game. Engrossing and very creepy single player which had the right balance of linearity with ship customization and strategy.
    Never played it myself but looking at videos, it does look great. This could be good news then.

Christ, thanks for that! I had no idea a sequel was in the works. Well, sort of. Not sure if I should pledge since I doubt it'l hit the target.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's severely hampered because of lack of shields, so I guess hit as many stores as you can and cross your fingers you find some.

The fact it doesn't have any makes me think there should be some way to get by without them, though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I suppose. But it's just an upgrade to make you better equipped. Like adding the drone bot to the Kestrel or stealth to any other ship. Surely it's just a starting bonus rather than the way it should be played.
  • Oh, you'd hope that you'd have them by the end, but it just seems wrong that I'm getting squashed in sector 2 because I haven't got them yet.

It's certainly the most manual ship I've played, lots of manual firing.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    If anyone does listen to that podcast, let me know what the similar Android game is, that interests me.

Star Traders RPG Elite

There's a free one and a mini one. Not checked any out.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That's the one. Knew it was Star Something. Cheers.

Although I'm not sure why I'm saying cheers I don't have an Android phone.
  • Thanks. The free, non-mini one is installing now. Will report back.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Thanks. The free, non-mini one is installing now. Will report back.

I've played the demo/free version before. It was ok, but I never really got in to it. The space battles side of it was no where near as good as FTL in particular. The trade/explore stuff got old quickly too.

By the way, how good would a Mech game be based on the FTL approach?! You could arm your Mech as you wish (balancing weight / power / guns etc), then go an fight a range of bad guys.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Although I'm not sure why I'm saying cheers I don't have an Android phone.

You're saying thanks because you're no longer absent minded?
  • By the way, how good would a Mech game be based on the FTL approach?! You could arm your Mech as you wish (balancing weight / power / guns etc), then go an fight a range of bad guys.

I think it would be exactly the same amount of good, since it would be exactly the same game; you could transpose the mechanics to pretty much any situation where a team of people is in charge of something ship-like. The fact that it's a mech actually excites me slightly less than a spaceship, but that's entirely down to personal preference.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The podcast mentions making a Spanish conquistador game. I think. There goes that memory again.
  • Ah, think I'm starting to get a handle on the stealth ship.
    Spoiler:

Yeah, fuck shields; that'd be a complete waste of money.

EDIT: Oh my god, this ship makes you feel like an absolute badass.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I had him, I nearly fucking had him.

Jump to a "repair" station and he's there waiting for me. TWAT!
  • I had a close call where that happened. Didn't get to the boss with the stealth ship, but I got further than before and unlocked the Slug cruiser. Nearly had the Rock one, too, I think, but didn't quite make it.

Slug one's kinda fun, killing off all the crew without destroying the ship.
  • AJ - yeah, I manually charge and time shots these days as well, makes all the difference I find. Depending on the weapon loadout, it can be much more effective to have them hit in a specific order that means sitting on a charged weapon while waiting for another to finish charging.
  • I'm finding that once I get to a certain point (usually sector 5 onwards, but sometimes earlier), I'm woefully underpowered compared to what I come up against.

What's the consensus on best ship that's reasonably straight forward to get?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Federation Cruiser; you just have to beat the boss.

Seriously, though; the Kestrel's just as good as the others, particularly if you're inexperienced.

Are you making sure you go to as many beacons as possible before leaving a sector?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!