FTL - new ace PC game
  • ScreenShot2012-10-13at085959_zps26fb2758.png
    From my second save on the desktop, I'll see if the laptop one has anything else of interest...
  • Hmmm, I press F12, it says screen shot taken, then in Steam it says I have no screenshots saved, humph.

Mind you, my scores are lagging behind those posted so far.
  • You haven't synced the two?

Also, those are some impressive stats, particularly the top score and wins:games ratio, kudos.

EDIT: @ Elm, obvs.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    You haven't synced the two? Also, those are some impressive stats, particularly the top score and wins:games ratio, kudos. EDIT: @ Elm, obvs.

No, by the time I bothered to look at something like SugarSync I had already started a play through on the desktop using the same tactics, and then I managed to get a couple of decent ships unlocked so decided that stats were a small price to pay for keeping the ships, so the desktop save will get copied over the laptop one as soon as I figure out how to do it. 

My actual top top score is on the laptop, it's 6876 on easy with The Osprey. I found myself with 4 burst lasers, I think one grade 1, 2 grade 2 and one grade 3, plus a boarding drone and powered up artillery beam. I was so unstoppable in sector 4 or thereabouts I actually let the rebel fleet catch up and farmed them for a little while!
  • Right, let's see if this works

FTL%201%201.png?psid=1
  • Ah, never thought of using the rebel fleet to up my score; the fact that you basically get no loot from them put me off.

Still, going for score is something I'll focus on properly when I've unlocked and figured out how to run all the different ships.

And, 6876: good god.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I was 'this' close to giving up for good. I'd come to the conclusion the game was either too hard or too random for my abilities. When I went into my first wining boss fight I thought "if I fail this time that's it".

Looking at everyone else's stats I don't feel so bad about contemplating giving up after 91 attempts without success.
  • I had more failed attempts before, had to rebuild my computer and forgot to save the profile. I'm guessing (hoping) Elm is the same.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Alt + print screen will take only a screen of the current window too... Saves editing...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I had more failed attempts before, had to rebuild my computer and forgot to save the profile. I'm guessing (hoping) Elm is the same.

Oh yeah, I was about 30-odd before my original first win. I don't rate that Engi ship, Mod, get the Osprey going now!
  • The Osprey is practically cheating. I quite like the Engi ship when you're doing something else at the same time; it almost runs itself.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    O9n32.jpg
    Game time - 31hrs
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Also Elm, actual mega stats. How do you do it?
  • Each of the big stats came from a sortie ploughing everything into that, so when I decided to try upgrading engines and training up my pilot, I ended up with 123 evasions or whatever. But of course, we ended up dead by sector 5. 

My Osprey tactics are to power up the artillery beam and concentrate on lasers. Sometimes it's been luck with what I've picked up, but the big scores come from not being afraid of the rebels. Unfortunately when they catch you up, any random events get scrubbed because all you find at each node is them, but you seem to still get points from wiping the out!
  • AJ_ wrote:
    The Osprey is practically cheating. I quite like the Engi ship when you're doing something else at the same time; it almost runs itself.

It's funny, I've never completed it with the Osprey, it doesn't quite click with me. I like the alternative layout of it though, so will have a few more goes.
  • Just checked and I've never completed it with the Osprey version of the Federation Cruiser, either. Probably because the whole time I was playing it was spent trying to get the achievements, but still. Guess that's what I'll be using for my next run.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've just done two of the Achievements for the Osprey, they're easy really. And popped the baddie at the end. 91 goes without success then three on the bounce. There's going to have to be something really special between now and year end to steal my GOTY away from this.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    0TC8e.jpg
    Elmlea wrote:
    I was so unstoppable in sector 4 or thereabouts I actually let the rebel fleet catch up and farmed them for a little while!

You can farm them? I thought it didn't allow you to pick up scrap with the enemy fleet around.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I guess he means farmed for points.
  • This fucking game!!!!

Got to the last boss with the Torus.  full crew, ion cannon, heavy laser and 1 attack drone and 2 beam drones.  Thought I would romp it as I had done so throughout the game to that point far easier than any other time I have played.  Last time I met the boss I got him to 2 health bars before he nailed me using my incompetence against me.  This time I couldn't even get his shields fully down.  Fucker.
  • Same problem I had when I got to the end with the torus.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Wonder if I'll ever manage a teleporter run without accidentally blowing up or getting separated from my strike team, still managed a victory this time.

If you've got a good team to teleport the final boss can be a cake walk.
  • There is a strong element of luck in getting the weapons you need for a particular strategy. I wonder if the loot and shop supplies are weighted differently for different ship types.

The way this game seems stupidly hard, then just clicks makes me wonder how much playing it has to do with subconscious processes. Could be why Elm's so good at it, I imagine he uses similar thought routines in his job.
  • Just done it with the Nisos (alternative layout to Osprey/Federation cruiser).

Final boss, and pretty much all enemy ships, just can't stand up to a laser assault. Get four lasers, preferably including a couple of burst lasers, then fire off all at once. They'll overwhelm shields and lay waste to whatever room you target. This is still my favourite/most reliable tactic.
  • Just done it with the Nisos (alternative layout to Osprey/Federation cruiser). Final boss, and pretty much all enemy ships, just can't stand up to a laser assault. Get four lasers, preferably including a couple of burst lasers, then fire off all at once. They'll overwhelm shields and lay waste to whatever room you target. This is still my favourite/most reliable tactic.

Absolutely. Coupled with the artillery beam doing some random slicing every so often, and doing a lot of system damage, it's excellent.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    This fucking game!!!! Got to the last boss with the Torus.  full crew, ion cannon, heavy laser and 1 attack drone and 2 beam drones.  Thought I would romp it as I had done so throughout the game to that point far easier than any other time I have played.  Last time I met the boss I got him to 2 health bars before he nailed me using my incompetence against me.  This time I couldn't even get his shields fully down.  Fucker.

Beam weapons or drones* are pretty useless against the final boss. Ion'ing his shield doesn't seem to have any effect. You probably need to missile it.

*not counting the artillery beam of course.

You can just about see the Torus set up I had to beat him here. I did get lucky with the repair locations as well.

2012-10-13_00001.jpg
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Beam weapons or drones* are pretty useless against the final boss.

Depends entirely on your strategy. Beam weapons, for example, are unmatched for dealing damage once you've got shields down; a couple of system damaging bombs with a good beam should work really well.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They should do, and probably do, but sacrificing a brute force slot for the moments you have his shield down is a tricky tactic.

I did actually use one beam weapon on either my second or third time of beating him. But that was with the artillery cannon doing the heavy lifting.
  • It's a tricky tactic with the boss, since it's got so much shield. Having the cloak and that aug that makes you arrive with your weapons ready to fire would really help - since beams are useless until their shields are down you have to get rid of them quickly - but I reckon, if you can get the shields down in the first couple of volleys, you should be able to survive long enough to get yourself into a winning position.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!