theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Hope you weren't too attached to those guys.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • Finally! On Easy. Had to wait until I unlocked the Red Tail, which is great. Got the stealth fighter too but it's bobbins.
  • Love the different ways you can approach this. Have now completed it with Kestrel and Engi ships with completely different methods.

Gonna try it with the Rock ship next.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Have this now too. Cool.
  • I'm doing rubbish at unlocking new ships.  Any hints?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ran into another Mantis Fighter orbiting a sun. In the future i'm just going to jump from those fights.

Venting so many doors to fight the fires and Mantis boarding, my ship was low on oxygen. Then with the enemy ship's swan song they took out my O2 unit and despite jumping to another system, my lone surviving crew member suffocated trying to repair it. Oh balls. I blame mod.
  • That's why I like drones; they don't need to breathe and if one dies you just drop another in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    I'm doing rubbish at unlocking new ships.  Any hints?

They give you hints on the ship select screen (under list). That's all I can offer.
  • I had a quick look at those, but they seemed pretty obtuse to me.  I was sure I was doing a quest for one before and it turned out to be no such thing, for instance.  Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for things that look promising.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I had a quick look at those, but they seemed pretty obtuse to me.  I was sure I was doing a quest for one before and it turned out to be no such thing, for instance.  Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for things that look promising.

There is a good guide on the FTL website forum. But if you think that is too close to cheating then, yes, look out for clues.

You don't get the opportunity to unlock new ships each game either, needs a bit of luck.

However, something you have more control over are the alternative ship layouts. You unlock these by completing 2 out of 3 achievements for each ship. The different layouts mean you have different weapons/perks.
  • Damnit it doesn't use SteamCloud so hasn't synced over my save from home to my work PC :-/
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Drones + Ion weapons seem the biz. Unless you're stuck in a plasma storm fuck that just leg it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Ran into another Mantis Fighter orbiting a sun. In the future i'm just going to jump from those fights. Venting so many doors to fight the fires and Mantis boarding, my ship was low on oxygen. Then with the enemy ship's swan song they took out my O2 unit and despite jumping to another system, my lone surviving crew member suffocated trying to repair it. Oh balls. I blame mod.
    Well this game sounds pretty great.
  • Think I'll see how things go before using an actual guide to get the ships, make everything a bit more exciting.

djchump wrote:
    Damnit it doesn't use SteamCloud so hasn't synced over my save from home to my work PC :-/
    Noooo!  I've just had to reinstall my OS and installed FTL through Steam for that very reason.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I've yet to try it but the type 2 Engi boat looks to add a bit of an extra tricksy challenge. Will need a good few droids to get around that then..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No sure why sometimes my O2 just runs out by itself and regularly my weapons just stop working. Says there's no power. Where has the power gone?
  • Kow wrote:
    No sure why sometimes my O2 just runs out by itself

Check the O2 system has enough power.
    and regularly my weapons just stop working. Says there's no power. Where has the power gone?
    If you're in a nebula, sometimes there's plasma storms that halve your power plant's output, so you have to limp by on half power.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok. It seemed in one game my ship just died for no reason. All the oxygen ran out and there was nothing I could do. Everyone just died
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That was probably a nebula thing. If you see two "Danger" triangles top right be worried. I usually divert everything to shield/defence/engine and leave the ion cannon attacking the enemy guns. Then jump out as soon as I can.
  • If a system gets damaged and loses power you have to click on it to power it up again.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If a system gets damaged and loses power you have to click on it to power it up again.

If it loses all its power yes. If it only loses one bar of multiple then it'll power back up again.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Also, re the final boss
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You actually upgrade your medbay?
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    You actually upgrade your medbay?
    I think cos of the engi ship nano-med augment, upgrading the medbay upgrades the healing effect throughout that ship.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Also, re the final boss
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Some other opinions on Mod's ship
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    All just my opinion of course - the beauty of this game is the versitility!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So am I right in thinking that the save function is of little use except in the event of having to turn the game off for some reason? You're basically going to get everyone killed eventually and have to start over.
  • Yup.  That's the kind of game it is, you don't keep the same game going, you have one game each time you sit down.
    Mod74 wrote:
    Also, re the final boss
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Yes, you need more guns/ offensive drones there there.  I had 1 ion cannon, 1 lv. 2 repeater, 1 bomb teleporter and an anti-ship drone when I beat it.  Two ion cannons are overkill unless you've got a pile of offensive drones to set on them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!