Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You'll bloody well do it now or there won't be a later.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    No worries, I only posted to make the CEX joke.

Seriously guys, that deserves a place in a top ten for this alone

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What the fuck is that Mod? It sounds like Sweep having his cock sucked.
  • i'm suprised by the lack of pes, trackmania and champman. Whats really amazing is no shout for starcraft of WoW. Is that because this is a mainly GBR forum?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I believe the kids call it dubstep.

Probably.
  • I never said a link to the past was on N64.

Seriously though, nice work Adam.
  • @Adkm - cheers for taking over the compiling - I guess I didn't have a lot of time today. I'm going to leave it all until Wednesday I think and then update the OP, and even count entries. I think orders have gone out the window for a lot of people so it'll just be a case of counting numbers of mentions regardless of where they come on the list. The games in the same franchise thing is always tricky and I'm not sure how that'll work exactly. Does every Zelda end up together, or is each counted separately, and if so why limit anyone to only one per franchise? Hmmm.
    Tempy wrote:
    I'm just surprised at the lack of PC games, mainly because they always appeared leagues ahead of what was around at the time.
    I guess a lot of people round here are mostly console gamers. I certainly am, and although I've dabbled in PC gaming it's never really grabbed me. The original Half-Life was good, but I never finished it, and whenever friends showed me PC games they just seemed to lack that something you get from console games - maybe charm or style or something like that. I still struggle even with console games that are obvious PC versions (HL2 for example). They just don't feel right.
  • Too tricky to simply pick ten, and there's more than likely a heavy dose of rose tinted aviators with many. In no particular order:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 360
    The perfect blend of destruction, teamwork, vehicles, gunplay, map design and battles... in a field. Wtf happened DICE?

Star Wars - Arcade
    It's the Eighties, post RotJ, I'm a young man with a bedroom full of Millenium Falcon, X-wing, AT-AT and Wookie. First I heard it, then I saw it, then I sat in it, grasped that unique controller and away I went.

Chase HQ - Amstrad C6128
    I saw it in the arcade, that most impressive of cabs with the flashing lights, but it wasn't until I got my home copy that the love affair started. The iconic 928, Nancy at HQ giving the orders, the frantic dash to range in the perps as the hand plants the berry on the roof and the twisting, screeching game of tag that ensues.

Operation Wolf - Arcade/Amstrad C6128
    My first experience of an arcade lightgun, my virgin hands grasping that iconic Uzi, wildly spraying the screen, laying waste to sunglass wearing mercs, armoured cars and chickens. Every young boy's wet dream.

Desert Strike - Megadrive
    Apache attack helicopter... you want more?

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 - PS2
    So good, all the five previous versions led to this golden edition. Perfectly paced, virtually flawless football, seemingly too good to cross gens. Only in 2012 do we see the green shoots returning.

Forza Motorsport 2 - 360
    3 and 4 are better, no question, but 2's multiplayer was perfect. The virtual pub lobby, random rascists, D400 Minis around Tsukuba, first corner Cobra pile ups in New York. 3 killed the public lobbies and the regulars stayed away for 4.

Battlefield 1943 - 360
    A halcyon summer spent island hopping with the best 1200 I've ever spent on XBLA. Sure we hated the theme tune after a first evening spent staring at the menus, but weeks more of the chaotic orchestration of war, G's 'Suribachee' growl and Steveo's 3 hour protestation (he loved it really), the seeds of Team Awesome were being sewn. A benchmark in downloadable gaming.

GTA Vice City - PS2
    GTAIII left the biggest impression generationally speaking, but this is where music, style, setting and gameplay all colluded to inspire and immerse. Walking into a club as the opening beat of Pointer Sister's Automatic kicked in, standing in the middle of the dancefloor as the digital throng danced around me, truly immersive.

Halo: Combat Evolved - Xbox
    Not now a massive Halo fan, or then, but a couple of LAN nights with some colleagues and I was sold and a massive black slice of hardware was accompanying me home with this solitary title. Sublime, freeform gunplay, sprawling levels of chattering grunts and a nod to Aliens at every turn. I loved the tone the game takes as the Flood begins to infest the game, you can almost feel the air turning thick and dead as you advance onwards, shotgun in hand. I really should pick up the anniversary edition.

The first ten from the top, but you could enthuse about so many and for different reasons, whether the game was 'good' or not.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Don't think I can put them in order...

Grim Fandango - Work of art.
    Resident Evil 4 - Felt like a film.
    ISS Pro Evo 2 (PS1) - The archetypal soccer game. Amazing how easy it was for me to persuade people to drop FIFA...
    Gran Turismo - Most likely 3.
    Super Street Fighter 2 (Turbo) - Still the best.
    Streets of Rage 2 - Cathartic brilliance.
    Chrono Trigger - Much like Grim Fandango, another true work art.
    Starfox - Clunky, but still playable. The later ones fuck about to much.
    Yoshi's Island - Some remarkably inventive stuff in that game...
    Bayonetta - It's slick and crazy. Pure entertainment.

Honourable mentions (and I can think of plenty) are;

Ocarina Of Time - Feels like a real place... Edged out by Chrono Trigger
    Advanced Wars - Fuck Pokemon. : P
    Tekken 4 - 3D Fighting game that gave you 6 degrees of freedom with easy controls and very few contrivances...
    Virtua Racing / Daytona - Between them changed videogames.
    Half Life 2 - Like Yoshi's Island, extremely inventive.
    Tetris - MK's right...
    Sonic The Hedgehog - I still play it.
    Grand Theft Auto 3 - I saw it after Edge fluffed the review and gave it 6. They clearly made a mistake that day. :}

Plenty of Japanese games in my list...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Impossible to include a FIFA/PES/Champ Man/Football Manager, I couldn't even begin to pick a definitive version of each.
  • Right, after thinking a bit more, I've decided to revise my list slightly. One, because leaving out Okami was just plain criminal for me as I love the game so much. And two, because I think I need to stick to games that are not only among the greatest IMHO, but also have a special place in my heart.

1. Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
    3. Super Metroid (SNES)
    Journey (PS3/PSN)
    ICO (PS2)
    Terranigma (SNES)
    Secret of Mana (SNES)
    Okami (PS2)
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS)

So Halo 3, Half Life 2 and MGS3 had to go. And I'm gutted I couldn't fit in Actraiser (SNES) and Resident Evil 4 (GC).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Plenty of Japanese games in my list...

All the ones in my top 10 are Jap. If I could list 10 more, they'd be mostly Jap.

EDIT: oops, Journey isn't Jap.
  • Bought the RE4 Wii Edition today. How good is it compared to the others? And yep, I'll be playing through component.
  • Haven't played it all the way through, but the controls work well with the game. Really wanna play the game again. "Did you send out the invitations? I said no more than 50 people!"
  • @dynomite, grim fandango is one of the most beautiful experiences you can have on your own. Robert Frost. I can't do this list thing but you all have excellent taste. I think that the games I think are the 'best', have been games that have pissed me off and made me throw controllers around rooms...demons souls...ikaruga, then
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Impossible to include a FIFA/PES/Champ Man/Football Manager, I couldn't even begin to pick a definitive version of each.

Well, you had the ISS series on the PS1 which was good, but the Pro Evolution series changed everything... Suddenly, you had players that felt (and looked) like individuals, rather than templated models. 

Recognising (Brazilian) Ronaldo was one thing, but the way the game communicated physical qualities, such as the weight and agility of specific players... You showed the game to people who at the time, were playing the likes of Fifa Road to the World Cup, and they were blown away.

That's why I had to list that version above all others. I see it as a tipping point.

And this vid too...

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gav - I've just started Resi 4 Wii. I'm liking it so far. This will be my fourth playthrough. Yes.

Mod - Fuck the haters, I've sat with that Pac Man music on for about 10 minutes once. It's great.
  • How do you do it? Do you have 5 hands and play two games at once and mark with the free one?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    He'd also need at least 5 eyeballs.
  • 1. Dark Souls. As a total package I don't know that I can ignore the obsession, the effect it had on my playing of other games, and how good I found it when most games of late have left me completely jaded.

2. Halo CE. Just about see above. I put in so much time. Played so much co-op and so much local MP. And the revisit last year just highlighted that it pretty much stands the test of time.

3. SotC. Flawed, but executed epic bosses well ahead of everyone else, and nailed less is more and leaving things to imagination.

4. GTA Vice City. Like the Halos, hard to know which ones to include, and then in what order. But this is the one that I loved the most at the time of release, I think. Close call with SA, but SA pushed some RPG buttons a step too far.

5. Colin McCrae 2.0 The handling was just so good. And shaving seconds off times and trying to nail corners was just so satisfying. And it was nails hard in spots. Aiming for consistency over the course of an event made it even better.

6. Halo 3. In hindsight, the first of the really complete package Halos. 4 player co-op, and the beginnings of stuff like arcade scoring and forge which have gone on to be a big part of the replay value of FPSes in general. MP was where it's at.

7. Halo 2. Flawed in so many ways, but at the time, online MP was something else. it brought out the worst in a lot of people, and there were, again in hindsight, massive balance issues and bugs/tricks with the MP, but still: Hour upon hour of customs on Lockout and Midship. Say no more.

8. Ico. The little game that could. See Adkm's reasoning.

9. Prince of Persia. Sand of Time. Perfect length. No filler. Perfect little final section where they take away the sands of time, yet the game remains fair. probably UBi's best work.

10. Blast Corps. Amazing amount of time spent hammering platinum scores in this. Amazing.

Honourable mentions:

BFBC2 (MP FTW), NBA2k11, ODST, MGS, Chrono Cross, Bioshock, PGR 2, GTA SA, GTA IV, Rez, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta, XI (Devil's Dice), and various XBLA titles.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • OK, this is hard. Not in order:

Wind Waker
    Grim Fandango
    Wario Ware (orig gba)
    Peggle
    Mario 64
    Mario World
    Mario Kart (probably cube, but maybe ds)
    Burnout 3
    Tetris
    Halo 3 (I'm kind of thinking Halo mp in general, but 3 let you play online with up to four players on splitscreen too)

Honorable metions:
    Excite Bike 64, Sim City 2000, Banjo Kazooie, Katamari, Ico, Geo Wars, Braid, Super Meat Boy, other Zeldas, Worms, Red Alert, GTA, and lots more that I can;t think of right now.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I guess I still need to write five more.

Total War: Shogun 2

Essentially i'm using Shogun 2 as a representative for the entire series. I still own an original big boxed case of the first Shogun somewhere and i've enjoyed the living fuck (eloquence get tae fuck) out of nearly every game CA have made since then (Viking: Total Warrior was really crap). Creative Assembly have turned the bloody history of many a nation and peoples into a fine piece of gaming that's heavily reliant on the facts but not to the extent gameplay is sacrificed. An RTS series that strives for top quality in every iteration and Shogun 2 is currently the pinnacle.

Power Stone 2

Power Stone 1 was one of two launch titles I got with my Dreamcast along with Sonic Adventure and was easily my favourite of the two. And I might have creamed myself when I read the second game was going to be four player. It's an incredible party game that I spent an unhealthy amount of time on as a senior school student trying to craft as many different items as I could in the item shop in preparation for mates coming around so I could batter them across the screen with my new giant tennis racquet. In my opinion blasts any of the Super Smash Brothers games into oblivion yet it's sadly destined for the forgotten Capcom title pile.

Phantasy Star Online

A tenuous placement on my top ten list but it had such an impact on my young self I can't not give it recognition. This was my very first online game. I remember my first experience with the word "lol" from some female character I was trying to chat up like a fool and getting pissed off thinking it was a nonsense word. I remember my first time being duped by some cunt claiming he had food for my mag to instantly turn it into one of those super rare console mags. I remember making friends with random people who were blatantly older than me and defeating the first boss, a huge Dragon with a full team going mad and every emote in our arsenal (including the cock sucking ones) for half an hour straight we were so ecstatic. And I remember racking up over 60 quid in a single months phone bill from sneaking out during the night at my mums to plug in the DC's 56k modem and have a session. Also the pang of losing contact with some of the people I knew on there. First internet bonding.

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

I bought a PS2 very late in the day, having been a Dreamcast man till that ship sank. And this is the game that got me to buy one at last. Looking back the plot is melodramatic splurge of the Japanese kind (it's hard not to laugh at the ending mission) with very poor voice acting but the way it's delivered during missions is superb and really hooks you into the action. Having intermittent radio communication from troops on the ground makes you feel part of a much larger operational war machine. Actually making you realise you're primarily supporting the guys on the ground who are doing the actual labour. Which is odd as then the game can do a complete mood swing and send your squadron against an enemy super sub boss fight you have to fly between missiles to take down on your own. And both approaches somehow work in the grand scheme of the game. For one epic experience.

Shadow of the Colossus

A popular one. The thing I like about SotC is one of the same things I like about Dark Souls. The feeling of the lone adventurer. It lends itself to the ancient hero tales from antiquity and stories of the search for the holy grail. Lone wanderers with martial skill travelling to unknown lands to search for treasures/answers, to face unforseen adversaries and somehow, against odds, succeeding more from courage and sheer balls than anything else.
  • Defence grid is good enough to in my top 10 somewhere but it wasn't long enough.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • JonB wrote:
    @Adkm - cheers for taking over the compiling - I guess I didn't have a lot of time today.
    No worries.  My entry sparked precisely zero conversation, so I thought I'd better do something worthwhile.  Plus I got the chance to be pedantic about writing out titles and looking up some of the formats.  That takes longer than you think, so the heart sinks a little when you see someone write OoT or SotC. ;)

I'm off to bed, so I'll sort out some more when I get up.
  • It's interesting that there's so few titles from this generation. Dark Souls and Halo 3 seem to be the only ones to come up with any consistency. There haven't been many indies titles like Braid, Fez, or Limbo. Has it been a particularly poor 5/6 years or is it just too soon to tell?
  • Apart from Monkey Island this is in no particular order:

— Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    — Zelda: A Link To The Past
    — Super Mario World
    — Final Fantasy 8
    — Mario 64
    — Pro Evo 4
    — Hotel Dusk: Room 215
    — Starfox 64
    — Broken Sword: Shadows Of THe Templars
    — Batman: Arkham Asylum

EDIT: Replaced Tekken 3 with Hotel Dusk
  • Choke wrote:
    It's interesting that there's so few titles from this generation. Dark Souls and Halo 3 seem to be the only ones to come up with any consistency. There haven't been many indies titles like Braid, Fez, or Limbo. Has it been a particularly poor 5/6 years or is it just too soon to tell?

I think if this thread was 2 or 3 years ago the likes of COD, Battlefield and perhaps Guitar Hero would have come up more. At the moment I think the general feeling is that of over kill. In another few years we may look back more fondly.

Bioshock has popped up a fair bit. I am suprised there isn't more love for Mass Effect.
  • Mass Effect was average at best. 

I love Braid, Limbo, Bastion and Fez. But just not as much as the games I have on my list. Bastion would be closest to entering my top 10 or 20.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Mass Effect was average at best. .

In your opinion but it has quite a following on here.
  • I could've filled more slots with current games easily, but wanted a representation of my gaming life.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!