Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • Currently on 8...I can't decide on more!

Final Fantasy VII - Playstation

This game more than any other probably changed how I play games and what I buy them for. Before this came along I was pretty much just playing local co-op, fighting or racing games with my older brother. Then this hit and showed me how I could get lost in a game on my own, get involved in the story, characters and world. I loved it then and still do now. 

Zelda: OoT - Nintendo 64

I got this for Christmas when it came out, and it was amazing. I sat and played through the whole thing in two days, and immediately started it again after I finished! I think this is one of those games that can take me back to that feeling of wonder playing for the first time time at 14 again.

BioShock - Xbox 360

The first game that really made me feel like I was in the next generation, I think. Just the entire construct of the world really grabbed me and pulled me in. Amazing.

Resident Evil 2 - Playstation

Although the first was groundbreaking and incredible, this is my preferred Resi game. Would still choose it over any other Resi game (yes even 4), as I like the slow moving zombies, police station setting and the music. The clever use of the A/B games and how you needed to play both sides of the story was genius.

Halo: CE - Xbox

Shooting, defined. Played this in co-op for days and days, local and LAN multiplayer gave a huge amount of fun and laughs, and then there was the single player. I think the campaign in this was really incredible and ahead of it's time, and it's no wonder it set the template for how shooters are made still today.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - SNES

Think I played this to death, mashing the SNES pad for all it was worth, local tournaments amongst friends, fantastic.

Super Mario World - SNES

Easily my favorite Mario game, very much still playable today and holds up very well. A huge amount of variation, secrets, challenging worlds. Plus Yoshi. A game filled with unbridled joy.

Gears of War - 360

For encouraging me to take my 360 onto Live, properly, and populating my friends list with you lot. Playing for hours online night after night is not something I had done before and haven't really done it to this scale since. The way it became way too serious ruined it a little, but those first few weeks were incredible. Plus I loved the single player.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here we go -

1Super Mario World - I've run out of superlatives for this game. It's a game I got with my SNES way back on Christmas Day 1992, and one that took me two years, on and off to beat. Ridiculous highs, such as the music / greenery of Donut Plains level 3, or the Forest's map screen, to lows of secret star level Mondo (fuckapballoon) and frustration mixed with elation when I figured out a secret route.
    Add to that sprites that still look great today, great level design, and for my money it's a game I can jump in or out of at any point. As soon as this lands on the 3DS store, my life is complete. Perfection.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3 Still the PS2 one for me. When this came out in 2004, I had only just purchased a PS2 and had recently burned through MGS2. 3 hooked me immediately because of the jungle, which looked amazing for me on a 19 inch CRT, combined with fantastic sound design. Having moments of revelation such as killing The End at the start of the game and then running through his maps, to not knowing how to save Snake when he "dies", will stay with me. The final boss fight is one of the most beautiful and poignant events ever. All of the MGS games are very powerful and important to me in different ways, but living in student halls, on my own and locking myself away for extended periods just got me into the world of Snake.

3.We Heart Katamari - from the same era, again being in student halls. In the mid 00s I had my first real disposable income and was only beginning to dip my toe into Japanese games (aside from FF and Secret of Mana, I was foolishly "fuck Japanese games"). I also was starting to do "web posting" and signed up to Edge around this time. We Heart Katamari was the first one released in the Uk and I just remember having a shocked, amazed reaction that this mental title even existed. For that shock and subsequent hilarity, this game will be always right up there for me. Yes, the releases since are laws of diminishing return, but I'll always enjoy that Katamari magic.

4. Blast Corps - right before I moved to America in the late 90s, one game captured my attention while everyone else was involved in Goldeneye, Zelda, or even Mario 64. I loved those other ones, but Blast Corps was an open world, of sorts, while I was sneaking plays of the demo of GTA on my pc. The precise nature of a perfect truck slide or a J Bomb through a collection of buildings was magical. Then I discovered speed runs, and platinum medals. It was the first game I ever got competitive with - not Mario Kart 64.

5. Resident Evil 4 – I have a lot of love for all the RE games, but somehow I’ve never ended up playing them on the proper consoles they’re designed for. My first adventures through RE1 and RE3 were on PC, 2 was on the N64, and 4 was on the PS2. Once again, this comes from the golden age of the mid 00s, but unlike the others, this was one that was very social. My flatmates and me at the sticks used to sit for extended periods playing this ‘together’ (them watching while I rattled the sticks) – they compared it to watching an action movie, and that’s what this game still is for me – the most ridiculous action movie ever – better than Gears, Halo, and the rest. It’s a fun, fast, exciting and thrilling ride. Ace.

6. Fallout 3 – I’m including all the DLC in here because why not. Fallout 3 was the first game I bought myself when I moved to Edinburgh. It was the first time I was living on my own, and I had a salaried job etc. Most of my ‘real’ friends were in Glasgow, so I found that my evenings would fairly regularly revert to Fallout 3 – leading to something like 90 hours spent exploring the wasteland. The sense of scale, the thrill of finding a new place, or the fear of realising you’re buggered against five super mutants who are chasing you is amazing. Of the DLC, two of the four sets were fantastic. Broken Steel helped you to keep playing the game, obviously, but it was Point Lookout that presented a magical gothic southern world that made me happily stick another 12 hours onto that. The first time my life really got taken over by a ‘hardcore’ game.

7. Left 4 Dead – YOU WILL BECOME THE TANK – If you read that and don’t smile, then you don’t quite get L4D. In 2008, this, along with the above, kept me talking to people when I was in Edinburgh – organising runs and versus evenings was a social calendar for me, and I loved to take on the horrendous boss role, telling people when to move etc. Maybe they didn’t like it, but I got a lot of fun out of that. The thrill of escape from the rooftop of No Mercy has never become dull, and although 2 was a great game, it doesn’t have levels with the charm of the first. And then there’s Zoey.

8. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 – On Gamecube. That lovely big a button for Ollies? Amazing. Right at the age I was listening to ska, punk and the like and dressing like a tit, this game captured all of that, put in some awesome and ridiculous levels (yo my airport scores would destroy you) and added some skate videos to the mix. For my money, this is the one that they got ‘right’ as far as possible – none of the running stuff from 4, and the revert is well and truly the greatest addition to the series. Score attack crack.

9. Diablo 2 – I’ve clicked more times than you’ve had hot dinners. Possibly. In the late 90s, I built my first PC and Diablo 2 has real memories of living in the states, sitting at the PC in my bedroom with the air con up because it’s too fucking hot to go outside, and just clicking constantly while speaking with people on the phone, or 
    listening to punk pop. There’s a fair amount of nostalgia attached to 2, that 3 didn’t quite spark with me, and even my return visits to 2 haven’t really captured – but for 16 year old me – it was the shit.

10. Borderlands – fucking Borderlands, eh. Possibly the most time I’ve ever spent on a game, and one of the most social experiences I’ve had. The humour didn’t quite get me the first time, and the shooting is functional, but not the best I’ve ever experienced (that’s probably the game above). It’s the music, the visuals, and the sheer insanity of the quests that keeps me playing it. Along with this, I’ve worked along with several lovely people on here, from Curtis taking me to the end of the game the first time, to DS farming Crawmerax, to yesterday’s slog through Moxxi with Elm, Wookie, and by proxy, Gav. This is what I want from social / online gaming. Roll on 2.

Honourable mentions – Starfox 64, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mass Effect 2 (probably sitting at number 11), Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2, Red Alert, Civ 2, Team Fortress 2, Thief 2, Max Payne, Half Life, Company of Heroes
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    I'll explain why I can't do this. Games of different genres are really difficult to compare. It's like trying to figure out which you prefer - Jimi Hendrix or steak and chips? It's ridiculous. What does Advance Wars have in common with Ikaruga? As much as an iconic guitarist does with a deliciously meaty meal. So how do I conceivably put one above the other?
    You're over-thinking it. Just do it like Desert Island Disks. You can only play 10 games for the rest of your life. What are they?

Go.
  • Dark Souls. Don't need the other 9.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Ah Reg your list is swish. You did L4D justice. Why did you call it We Heart Katamari though, I thought it was known as 'We Love Katamari' everywhere?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    8. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 – On Gamecube. That lovely big a button for Ollies? Amazing. Right at the age I was listening to ska, punk and the like and dressing like a tit, this game captured all of that, put in some awesome and ridiculous levels (yo my airport scores would destroy you) and added some skate videos to the mix. For my money, this is the one that they got ‘right’ as far as possible – none of the running stuff from 4, and the revert is well and truly the greatest addition to the series. Score attack crack.  
    Yes Reg Yes!
    Will add that this one had the best hidden characters too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Ah Reg your list is swish. You did L4D justice. Why did you call it We Heart Katamari though, I thought it was known as 'We Love Katamari' everywhere?

I call it on what I see in the title. I've always called it that. It's a wee peccadillo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd reckon Uncharted 2 would have a shot in a top 20. So would Warioware GBA.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I couldn't possibly whittle it down to 10.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well do it  and stop bitching.
  • monkey wrote:
    You're over-thinking it. Just do it like Desert Island Disks. You can only play 10 games for the rest of your life. What are they? Go.

That's an interesting way of putting it and probably more in keeping with the OP - but, it hoists replayability way up there, and possibly timeless graphics too. So, story-based games might be out apart from sandboxes, for example. I'd replace Tetris with Lumines in my list if I had to play it forever, it improved on it in pretty much every way. Burnout Paradise might be in there too.
  • No, resist.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jon - I'd love an OP with all posts and just the lists without explanations?
  • Surely it's time to hit this motherfucker with some feisty graphs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to make a top 10 for Brooks.

Three spaces will be taken up by Shenmue, the rest by Puyo Pop knock offs and super puzzle fighter.
  • Forget everything but the least shit Maddens and FIFAs
  • Which I have nothing against, in truth. They're just benign.
  • People choosing Flashback over Another World - why?

Narrowly missed my list, AW.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Well do it  and stop bitching.

Ok, here's what I've got so far:

• Go through them all chronologically, and whittle it down from there.  Start at the very beginning.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

curses - forgot to have the "cathode ray tube entertainment device" in my list.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Shit I forgot one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had- Deadly Premonition. I'll swap Ocarina for that if you're collating, Jon.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The beauty in these lists isn't what's in them (especially for lists full of well known franchise greats) but of what isn't in them. What elevates certain titles above others, apart from just forgetting them when weighing them up?

That's truth. Putting Half Life 1 on I was wondering to myself "So why on earth do I prefer this to HL 2?" Good way of consolidating your own opinions.

Mouldywarp wrote:
    Should I pick games based on how good their unique "gamey" elements are, or should I include one based on non-interactive elements alone? I don't really even view RPGs like Final Fantasy VII as pure games at all - more like mixed media, a game cross-bred with a comic or something. In this light, FF7 was a pretty dull game that just so happened to be cellotaped to the best comic I've ever read.

That's quite an interesting look at FF VII. And by extension I guess the JRPG in general.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo - SNES

Was never released on SNES, as far as I know. You mean SSF2, not Turbo, yes?

I forgot Okami on my list. Fuck. I'll have to replace... Dunno.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Haha, WHICH LIST THOUGH
  • Nick wrote:
    People choosing Flashback over Another World - why? Narrowly missed my list, AW.

I just found my copy of AW on SNES yesterday. Forgot I had it! It's seen better days though. 

I also prefer Flashback. :)
  • Erm... I enjoyed it more?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!