Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • Nick wrote:
    Why though?
    It's better. Bear in mind, my choice was games I'd play now. Flashback has tighter controls, less trial and error, and is simply my favourite out of the two. Another World very good though.
  • @Monkey Thanks for giving some reasons instead of 'just 'cause' (that game was ok but won't make any lists as an aside).

I loved the silent story and eerie atmosphere of AW, I never finished FB though (got to a gameshow bit that was too hard I seem to remember).
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo - SNES
    Was never released on SNES, as far as I know. You mean SSF2, not Turbo, yes?

Ah I meant Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, according to Wiki.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Jon - I'd love an OP with all posts and just the lists without explanations?
    I'll try and do something like that, maybe after a couple of days. It'd be good if everyone could do a nice tidy list (doesn't have to be in order) with formats and any edits included by then. Otherwise I'll just grab what I see. I don't think it's worth bothering with any kind of 'ultimate winnar' calculation, other than seeing which game is mentioned most times.

In the meantime I'll write some reasons behind my choices when I get a moment.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In no particular order and without any kind of explanation:

Flashback (MD)
    Mario 64 (N64)
    Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2)
    Resident Evil (PS1)
    Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360)
    Dark Souls (360)
    Red Dead Redemption (360)
    Wipeout 2097 (PS1)

I omitted Toejam and Earl, MGS and Zelda: OoT.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    Should I pick games based on how good their unique "gamey" elements are, or should I include one based on non-interactive elements alone? I don't really even view RPGs like Final Fantasy VII as pure games at all - more like mixed media, a game cross-bred with a comic or something. In this light, FF7 was a pretty dull game that just so happened to be cellotaped to the best comic I've ever read.
    That's quite an interesting look at FF VII. And by extension I guess the JRPG in general.

I only realised it recently. It allows me to contrarily state that I don't like games with too many narrative elements in them and yet still list FF7 as one of my favourites because I enjoyed it as an interactive comic rather than a game.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • In no order, apart from 1st place.

1. Halo CE
    2. Goldeneye
    3. Resi 4
    4. Super Mario Kart
    5. Super Mario World
    6. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    7. Half Life 2
    8. Halo 3
    9. MGS
    10. Zelda: LTTP

It's just so depressingly predictable, isn't it?

Someone do a tally and work out what's the B&B bestest game EVER!!!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Surprised no one else has mention Rome or another TW game. The scale of those things was incredible to me, CA seem to hae just cornered this tiny market in PC land. Rome 2 sounds like it going to be one of those games that truly shows that there is stuff that consoles just cannot do.

If the best game ends up being OoT I will be disgusted with the lot of you.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    I loved the silent story and eerie atmosphere of AW, I never finished FB though (got to a gameshow bit that was too hard I seem to remember).

That's where I got stuck too. Was good stuff though. I can remember another one called Blackthorne that had a similar feel to it.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm going to need to get a pen and paper and think this through.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Someone do a tally and work out what's the B&B bestest game EVER!!!

DARK SOULS!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Tempy wrote:

Haha! If it does end up at no. 1, doesn't it say something about the game? Pretty sure if I tally up it's position in best games ever lists over past decade or so, it'll be top. 

I wonder if some people omit it just to be different? Reminds me of a guy at work who asked me once what I thought the best film ever was. When I said The Godfather, his reaction was YEH BUT EVERYONE SAYS THAT. And? Maybe because it really is a bloody great film?? I wasn't going to say Pearl Harbour just to be different.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

yeah - we kind of need a top 10 of each genre - just like Edge did when it was a good magazine. :)
  • Yeah, I actually used that list to get some games I otherwise wouldn't have.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Haha! If it does end up at no. 1, doesn't it say something about the game? Pretty sure if I tally up it's position in best games ever lists over past decade or so, it'll be top.  I wonder if some people omit it just to be different? Reminds me of a guy at work who asked me once what I thought the best film ever was. When I said The Godfather, his reaction was YEH BUT EVERYONE SAYS THAT. And? Maybe because it really is a bloody great film?? I wasn't going to say Pearl Harbour just to be different.

a link to the past is the best zelda and the only one id play thru again imho.
    thats why oot dont make my (incomplete) list.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Haha! If it does end up at no. 1, doesn't it say something about the game? Pretty sure if I tally up it's position in best games ever lists over past decade or so, it'll be top. 

I wonder if some people omit it just to be different? Reminds me of a guy at work who asked me once what I thought the best film ever was. When I said The Godfather, his reaction was YEH BUT EVERYONE SAYS THAT. And? Maybe because it really is a bloody great film?? I wasn't going to say Pearl Harbour just to be different.

I'm sure people generally love it, but I think a lot of it comes from beig told it is amazing, over and over. Like conditioning, people are taught to extol its virtues and accept it as 'the greatest'. A lot of people played it when fairly young too and I think that contributes. This probably a fairly controversial view, but I got it with my 3DS and after maybe an hour I had to put it down. It didn't capture me in any way, and I remember being disappointed with it when I first played it on the Gamecube too.

I am always wary of things being called 'the best' ever due to those reasons above. I'm not sure why people call the Godfarther the best film ever as I've never seen it, but I'd also suggest a lot of it is through people being told it is, watching it and enjoying it, and agreeing.

I'm not suggesting that is the case with you, but this is the basis of my views on OoT. That and most game sites are written by and read by fucking morons.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Link to the the past is the first I played and the only one I've completed - OOT, Twilight Princess and Windwaker are at various stages of incompletion.

LTTP is exquisite but its in a genre I can't be arsed with - its kind of a case of been there and done it.
  • OoT is nowhere near mines.
  • hylian_elf, why no Majora's Mask love?
  • If OoT wins I'll buy it and play it again as some kind of punishment.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    hylian_elf, why no Majora's Mask love?

Gah! Left it out of my initial 'top 10' didn't I?? My bad. It's great, but I prefer others.
  • davyK wrote:
    yeah - we kind of need a top 10 of each genre - just like Edge did when it was a good magazine. :)

Yeah, but where would NiGHTS go? :-(
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Tempy wrote:
    Stuff about conditioning (I just shampooed and conditioned my hair, lol)

Interesting point. Certainly not the case with me as I played it on release. But you know how I said I left out Okami, and something needs replacing?? I think I'll replace Half Life 2 which I only played last year. Having thought about it a bit more, I think there is an element of liking it because it's meant to be so great. I did enjoy it, but not as much as I enjoyed playing every minute of 70 hours or so on Okami. Jap games FTW.
  • i think some of the games here could fully fill my 'top 30 in no particular order'.. or 40.. god knows, im kinda with mouldywarp a bit, its hard to really pick a favourite game! or 40. half-lifes 1 & 2 are prob my fave games (with a leaning to the first one as tempy said, it was chock full of spectacular fun setpieces), and i didnt even list them!

also a lil list of best games by genre would be great, moderated by the opinions of the forum at large, like hylian says i'd love the suggestions, its the main reason i read the games forum
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Stuff about conditioning (I just shampooed and conditioned my hair, lol)
    Interesting point. Certainly not the case with me as I played it on release. But you know how I said I left out Okami, and something needs replacing?? I think I'll replace Half Life 2 which I only played last year. Having thought about it a bit more, I think there is an element of liking it because it's meant to be so great. I did enjoy it, but not as much as I enjoyed playing every minute of 70 hours or so on Okami. Jap games FTW.

Yes, the HL2 thing is evident. I played it, twice, and enjoyed it both times but I don't think it is that great. It does things with its tone, setting and ways of presenting game play elements, story exposition  and the general atmosphere to you that were brilliant. But like Bollockoff said, HL is a lot more fun I think.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

But taste always plays into it. Even if I was trying to put together a list of the best films and not simply my favourites, I would acknowledge the craft of The Godfather, but it wouldn't top the list, because there are other, equally great movies which (whose?) virtues matter more to me than The Godfather's do. If I pick The Apartment over The Godfather (or Prince of Persia over Ocarina of Time) it isn't because I feel they're the better film/game, it's because the way The Apartment is great matters more to me than the way The Godfather is good. Not to be contrary.
    Of course, I'm saying this just to be contrary.
  • i like your taste in films
  • 1. The Godfather: The Game
  • kollarn wrote:
    it's because the way The Apartment is great matters more to me than the way The Godfather is good.

This is probably my favourite non-sexual freudian slip I've ever done. Completely unintentional.
    LazyGunn wrote:
    i like your taste in films

Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!