Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • I deliberately haven't mentioned fighting or shooting. Can't really explain why.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I like your list Bollockoff. Half Life really is something special. I still prefer it to Half Life 2 as it feels more like a 'game' whereas HL2 starts to do this half film, half novel thing and is a lot more 'real'. Just not as fun IMO, plus you don't get the Egon/Gluon Gun so why bother?

I see Kollarn mentioned Sands of Time there. By fuck I loved that game. Did a wonderful twist on narration that fitted its trappings brilliantly. The Prince must go down as being one of the best written characters in games, surely?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Yoshi's Island is a HELL of good call too - but I already had Super Mario World on my list..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I like your list Bollockoff. Half Life really is something special. I still prefer it to Half Life 2 as it feels more like a 'game' whereas HL2 starts to do this half film, half novel thing and is a lot more 'real'. Just not as fun IMO, plus you don't get the Egon/Gluon Gun so why bother?

I see Kollarn mentioned Sands of Time there. By fuck I loved that game. Did a wonderful twist on narration that fitted its trappings brilliantly. The Prince must go down as being one of the best written characters in games, surely?

Loved PoP too, just a shame the developers decided to ruin the character in the immediate sequels.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK wrote:
    Yoshi's Island is a HELL of good call too - but I already had Super Mario World on my list..

I thought it was a better game. A lot more challenging than SMW, iirc. 

I'm tempted to do another list of favourite games. Over 3 decades of games into a list of 10?! Very hard.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4. Sonic 3 w Sonic & Knuckles (Designed as one game so it goes in as one)

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) played this in the Sonic Classic Collection on DS? Is it a good way to play those titles? I was a stupid anti-Sega Nintendo fanboy back in those days, and completely missed out on Sonic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:

I thought it was a better game. A lot more challenging than SMW, iirc. 

I'm tempted to do another list of favourite games. Over 3 decades of games into a list of 10?! Very hard.

It was harder getting 100pts in the levels but not sure the levels themselves were harder. The YI extra levels were tougher - though SMW Special world was too.

• kollarn wrote:
    4. Sonic 3 w Sonic & Knuckles (Designed as one game so it goes in as one)
    Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) played this in the Sonic Classic Collection on DS? Is it a good way to play those titles? I was a stupid anti-Sega Nintendo fanboy back in those days, and completely missed out on Sonic.

Never played the DS version. IIRC the Xbox Mega Drive Collection didn't really work right, you could unlock knuckles in Sonic 2 or 3 but I couldn't work out a way to play it as one big game. Needs to be done on a Mega Drive really.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    kollarn wrote:

Never played the DS version. IIRC the Xbox Mega Drive Collection didn't really work right, you could unlock knuckles in Sonic 2 or 3 but I couldn't work out a way to play it as one big game. Needs to be done on a Mega Drive really.

Probably not much help - but Sonic Jam on Sega Saturn lets you play the Sonic Games as on the MD - with cartridge lock on options. It also gives you the option for spin dash on Sonic 1 , AND gives you TT modes for each level too - really nice compilation that was.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    defender. (arcade)

i used to watch my older brother play this and fail spectacularly in front of mates at the pool hall/arcade in killmarnock when i were just a wee boy, it wasn't long before i were trying it for myself and became addicted to it and all the surrounding games too.
    proboubly the game i spent the most time on out of them all.

ridge racer. (arcade)

this just blew me away when the arcade (leisureland) across from the pool hall got it in and it was the side by side 2 player cabinet....and it were so fast and drifty........
    this was also at the time when joyriding was huge in my area and a few folks including myself got in to playing hard driving for ciggies (best time wins) then out to rob a car and do a circuit of kilmarnock.
    i was so addicted to ridge racer that i stopped going with my friends to take other peoples cars and instead tried doing everything i could to help people and make money to play this...i also stopped going school to play this too so....!!

il edit in more as i reminicese in my head.

colony wars.
    road rash
    bushido blade
    mgs
    (reasoning will follow)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • davyK wrote:
    kollarn wrote:

Probably not much help - but Sonic Jam on Sega Saturn lets you play the Sonic Games as on the MD - with cartridge lock on options. It also gives you the option for spin dash on Sonic 1 , AND gives you TT modes for each level too - really nice compilation that was.

And in my top ten ;-)

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I just picked games I really loved at the time, whether they stand up now is kind of irrelevant (although I'd say most of them do, Jumping Flash looks a bit ragged these days but it's still fun):

1. Advance Wars (GBA)
    2. Super Probotector (Snes)
    3. Ridge Racer 2 (PSP)
    4. Halo: CE (Xbox)
    5. Virtua Tennis 2 (DC)
    6. PES 5 (PS2)
    7. Power Stone (DC)
    8. Okami (PS2)
    9. Jumping Flash (PSone)
    10. Sega Rally (Saturn)

Honourable mentions: San Andreas, Lemmings, all the MD Sonic's, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, NiGHTS, Wipeout 2097, Outrun 2, Super Tennis, Wonderboy III, Kick Off, Lumines, NBA2K, Everybody's Golf, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose, Ace Combat 6, MK: Super Circuit
  • 1. Battlefield Bad Company 2
    2. Galaxian
    3. Lords Of Midnight
    4. PGR4
    5. Elite
    6. Goldeneye
    7. Sega Rally
    8. Flashback
    9. GTA Vice City
    10. 1080 Snowboarding

I know a lot of people here like their collections and their retro games, I honestly don't. San Andreas is probably a better game than GTAIV, but if there's a choice of playing one now, GTAIV wins every time. Scale, textures, lighting and sound win every time for me. I can admire ten year old games, there's not many I'd actually play. With that in mind, here's a list of games I enjoyed at the time.

1. Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 360 - Multi-player designed within an inch of its life for fun.

2. Galaxian - Arcade - It was there every day, in colour, faster than Space Invaders. Amazing.

3. Lords Of Midnight - Spectrum - First time I can remember believing in a game world, quite an achievement back then.

4. PGR4 - 360 - This is why these things are tricky. Bob's convinced me that PGR2 was better and I've certainly got some great memories, likewise MSR was astonishing on the Dreamcast. I wouldn't swap either of them for the fairly flawed 4 though.

5. Elite - Spectrum - Was even more amazing on the BBC, that sort of scale combined with 3D was astounding at the time. I miss the space flight genre, but I'd guess going back would disappoint me badly.

6. Goldeneye - N64 - Best local multi-player, best game of based on a film (and we spent a lot of time playing bad ones back in the day).

7. Sega Rally - Saturn - An arcade game, in your home!

8. Flashback - Megadrive - Didn't know anything about it before I played it, that has to make it the biggest pleasant surprise in gaming.

9. GTA Vice City - Xbox - It's the best one.

10. 1080 Snowboarding - N64 - That Nintendo magic worked on me for once.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The beauty in these lists isn't what's in them (especially for lists full of well known franchise greats) but of what isn't in them. What elevates certain titles above others, apart from just forgetting them when weighing them up?

just pure forgotten, looking now i could have replaced 7 or 8 of those games i listed for games i liked better, it is an interesting activity in that regard
  • 1. Demon's Souls

Changed my perception of what a modern console game can be. Tightest 3rd person fighting mechanics of any game, the most interesting online features, one of the most atmospheric, scary and well realised as well as designed worlds ever committed to disk. Endlessly replayable. A huge gamble for all involved, but one that changed the industry.
    2. Super SF2 Turbo

The perfect iteration of the perfect fighter. 14 years later, the tier lists of the most powerful characters are still changing, because players are still discovering techniques (who knew T Hawk had some serious fight in him). The music, the perfectly drawn sprites, the friendship and rivalry it inspires, and the non-existent skill level cap make it just as good today.
    3. Dark Souls

They took what made Demon's so good and just built on it. It's a far huger game, with more options of customisation and even cleverer online features. Every person that this game gets to, it stays with.
    4. Silent Hill 2

The best story in a videogame ever. Maybe even for me just 'the best story'. Terrifying psychological horror, an incredible score, an art style that looks perfect on PS2 to this day, and just a deeply affecting character study. Once you've beaten it, you just know.
    5. Lone Survivor

Indie success story, very much inspired by number 4. it means a great deal to me personally because my brother made it, but I've seen some of the emails fans have sent him, and it seems to do for some people what SH2 did for me during a time of distress - provide hope. I've spent countless hours testing and playing the iterations of the years, and it's never felt like a chore. There's always something new to see, a hidden bit of dialogue to hear, or a chance encounter you missed. The game is wide, not long, and trusts it's audience to peel at the wallpaper and see what's crumbling behind. Common theme with all my favourites, but the soundtrack is a permanent fixture on ipod.
    6. A Link to the Past

It blew my mind at the time even more than Ocarina's release would do later. So tightly put together and joyfully playable. Perfect difficulty curve of making you feel clever and not holding your hand, whilst still giving you enough options to try things more than one way.
    7. SFIV

It has issues that mean it wouldn't be on this list if it hadn't been more than just a game to me. Without it, 2D fighters would still be stuck 14 years ago with no real iteration. I've made friends though it, and held tournaments which are a highlight of my year.
    8. Ocarina of Time

Replaying on 3DS at the moment, it would have been rude not to include it, even if Link to the Past is my desert island Zelda. It still plays/looks/sounds a dream and has so much charm, with just a hint of darkness that makes you care about the characters.
    9. Super Mario World

What others have said, had to have one Mario and this is super entertaining. Still plays perfect today.
    10. Final Fight

The game that made me love games. It's simplistic, and big men break lead pipes over each others head. he sprites were so big and impressive when I saw it in the arcade as an 11 year old (I think), that it made me think 'yup, this is pretty much all I care about now'. little did I know it was just the warm up for SF2 : )

Happy now Tempy? : )
  • Very happy Nick, but you included OoT and it ISN'T THAT GOOD ; )

Nah, kidding. S'all good, especially the LS one.
  • Get it on your 3DS and give it another run out man, it's lovely.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Very happy Nick, but you included OoT and it ISN'T THAT GOOD ; )

But, opinions.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sas's turn to take a joke seriously!

I tried Nick, it just doesn't do it for me and never really did. Wind Waker ruined it for me.
  • davyK wrote:

Thanks for the tips, guys! It looks like I'm going to without a TV for the foreseeable future, though, which would make DS the most convenient option for me.

EDIT: oh, wikipedia has this to say about the DS version, missed it the first time
    This compilation was officially announced on December 2, 2009 by Sega of America and was released March 2, 2010, although news of this compilation first broke when it was classified by the Australian Government's OFLC. It features two extra lock-on modes from the originals, which allows the player to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and to play the complete version of Sonic 3 (titled "Knuckles in Sonic 3" as opposed to the original "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" title). Sonic 1, 2 and Knuckles (without lock-on) receive the addition of a save option; while players can "save anywhere" as billed, they must restart the act in which they saved- they are however, allowed to keep their score and Chaos Emeralds from when they saved, as well as any extra lives and continues earned.
    Does that have anything to do with what you said, liveinadive?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sas's turn to take a joke seriously! I tried Nick, it just doesn't do it for me and never really did. Wind Waker ruined it for me.

I wasn't being serious.
  • Yeah I really dug Wind Waker too, I guess what it was doing- other than the awesome art style - had really been done first in Ocarina so that's why it took the spot.

If I removed it would have...hmm, need to think maybe Mario 64 or Galaxy, or Monkey Island.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Sas's turn to take a joke seriously! I tried Nick, it just doesn't do it for me and never really did. Wind Waker ruined it for me.

I wasn't being serious.

THIS WILL NEVER END

• Why so serious?
    Spoiler:
  • This was really, really tough.  For example, I've swapped Kessen and Ring of Red in and out of the list I don't know how many times.  Trying to whittle down the final thirty to just ten was a fairly arbitrary process.  I do wonder if I should've kept the ten to twenty games that didn't make the cut in a separate list, rather than mixing them up with the other also-rans but, to be honest, on any given day there are a few of these that could've easily ended up anywhere else.  I think the top five would probably stay top five, but perhaps swapping about a bit.  Maybe.  And to think that I'm the negative one who hates all games!

1.  Ico (PS2)
    This game is pretty much perfect.  It looks beautiful, the puzzles are pitched brilliantly, and it surpasses all games in getting you to emotionally invest in the lead characters.  Love it.

2.  Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Again, the emotional investment, this time with a gradually building sense of dread.  Working out the solutions is a little bit more frustrating, but this fits well, I think, with the more intense action.

3.  Bushido Blade (PS1)
    The atmosphere of this game changes as the balance and intensity of each fight shifts.  I've played fights in near silence, with just the sound of the characters' feet on the gritty snow as each shifts their position, looking for a chance to attack without leaving themselves open, before one dives in delivering a fatal blow, the only strike of the encounter.  I've also seen epic fights spanning the whole game area, both fighters badly injured, struggling to find the energy to finish the other.  Cracking.

4.  Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
    Takes the vertiginous gameplay of the previous games, and adds to the convincing physicality they set in place.  I can't think of a game that more convinces me that the character I'm controlling physically exists in the environment I'm moving him around.

5.  Colony Wars (PS1)
    Along with Bushido Blade, this is a game I read about religiously in Play magazine, reading every preview over and over, never able to get enough, and, like Bushido Blade, the final product delivering everything I had hoped for and more.

6.  Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Atari ST)
    The title music and controls mean that this version remains superior to subsequent tweaks and polishes.

7.  Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2)
    I've never played any other Baldur's Gate games, so I don't know where this sits with them, but it's the most involving hack'n'slash I've enjoyed.  Great atmosphere, involving gameplay, convincing environment.  A joy.

8.  Kessen (PS2)
    Because who wouldn't want to be a kick-ass Japanese warlord in a camp/magical version of history?

9.  Gears of War 2 (360)
    This defines online multiplayer for me, both co-op and versus.  I know that a lot of those who were in on the act with the first game had complaints about the balance of this, but I was too busy having fun to care.

10. Grand Theft Auto (PS1)
    Now here's a game that has never been improved on.  The London instalment seemed rushed, the sequel handled awfully, and since then it's gone 3D and, while some of them are good, they've rather changed from the original.

Honourable mentions (in no order whatsoever):
    FIFA, ISS-Pro Evo, Madden, Tekken 3 (PS1), X-Blades (360), Batman The Movie (Atari ST), The Untouchables (ZX Spectrum), UFC 2009: Undisputed (360), Tenchu (PS1), Road Rash (PS1), Project Overkill (PS1), Star Gladiator (PS1), Cannon Fodder (Atari ST), Kilzone Liberation (PSP), Spider-man (PS1), Spider-man 2 (PS2), Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3), Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves (PS3), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita), Rayman Origins (360 & Vita), Tomb Raider (PS1), Rez (PS2), Worms (PS1), Timesplitters (PS2), Burnout (PS2), Medal of Honour (PS1), Medal of Honor (360), Nitro (Atari ST), Supercars II (Atari ST), Freedom Fighters (Xbox), Portal (360), Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Rally Cross (PS1), GTA: Vice City (Xbox), Ring of Red (PS2), Dropship: United Peace Force (PS2), SSX (PS2), Prototype (360), Sky Odyssey (PS2), Urban Chaos (PS1), Gran Turismo (PS1), Forza Motorsport 2 (360), Barbarian (ZX Spectrum), Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox), Resident Evil (PS2), Left 4 Dead (360), Chequered Flag (ZX Spectrum), Hostages (Atari ST), Target Renegade (ZX Spectrum), Double Dragon (NES), Turrican 2 (Atari ST), Crackdown (360), Hard Drivin' (Atari ST), other games that people mention that I'd somehow forgotten about.
  • I've gone for the 'favourites I would happily play now' method of choosing.

In no order

1. Monkey Island 2
    2. Gunstar Heroes
    3. Zelda LttP (the most recent one I've played)
    4. Mario World (ditto)
    5. One of the PESes - round the 2002 / 2003 era probably before I got sick of it.
    6. Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast
    7. NHL 94
    8. Flashback
    9. Starfox 
    10. Mass Effect 2 

More: - Champ from about a decade ago, Mario Kart 64, Secret of Mana, Vice City, Dirt 1, Pop n Twinbee, Earthworm Jim, Wonderboy in Monster World, the SNES Star Wars trilogy, UN Squadron, Cybernator, DK Country, Day of the Tentacle, Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure, Castle of Illusion, Micro Machines, Portal 1.
    Edit: Final Fantasy VII too.
  • Shit forgot Arkham Asylum too, though that maybe one for a top 20.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I wasn't being serious.
    THIS WILL NEVER END

Yes, it goes on and on my friend.
  • Had a good hard think about Arkham games. Both a bit too patchy for me for a 'best eva' list. Bits of both games felt like real slogs.

Edit: Although its obviously a bit of rose-tinting that's keeping some of my entries on there. More recent games have been handicapped by the fact I've played them recently and not had time to forget the rubbish bits.
  • Edit: Switching out Donkey Kong Country for Ico. I can't justify including the former and omitting the latter.

I'll explain why I can't do this. Games of different genres are really difficult to compare. It's like trying to figure out which you prefer - Jimi Hendrix or steak and chips? It's ridiculous. What does Advance Wars have in common with Ikaruga? As much as an iconic guitarist does with a deliciously meaty meal. So how do I conceivably put one above the other?

I've played Mario 64 so many times that I no longer get any real pleasure from playing it, but I wouldn't have played it so many times if it hadn't been my favourite game at one point. Would I still include it in my list if I played it for the first time today? How could I possibly know? At least Mario Galaxy is fresh enough for me to include it with more confidence.

Then there's context to think about. I'm pretty sure Ocarina of Time is in there regardless of playing it at a very special time in my youth, but Donkey Kong Country? It's hardly a remarkable game and yet the (then) mind-blowing graphics and music had such an impact on me as a young kid that I feel compelled to include it. And is Dark Souls my favourite game of all time only because I'm still getting new content out of it or will it still hold that position for years after I'm done with it? I'd need a time machine to resolve these issues.

Should I pick games based on how good their unique "gamey" elements are, or should I include one based on non-interactive elements alone? I don't really even view RPGs like Final Fantasy VII as pure games at all - more like mixed media, a game cross-bred with a comic or something. In this light, FF7 was a pretty dull game that just so happened to be cellotaped to the best comic I've ever read.

Then there are games that cheat by appealing to my adoration of Japanese culture and mythology, such as Okami and Goemon (N64 specifically).

Well, that's 10 already and I haven't even mentioned Ico so I've clearly fucked it up somewhere. Also contemplating Giga Wing, Gitaroo Man, Contra 3 and F-Zero GX. But like I said, I can't do this.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!