Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • the windwaker love suprises me most so far in this thread.

Also hardly any MD titles or any much in the way of handheld titles. I thought some DC games might make an appearance too like Crazy Taxi.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • In another few years we may look back more fondly.
    This, but only a bit. 

So many games are completely charmless now. Everything is gears and gears is everything.
  • mk64 wrote:
    the windwaker love suprises me most so far in this thread. Also hardly any MD titles or any much in the way of handheld titles. I thought some DC games might make an appearance too like Crazy Taxi.
    The consoles before Sony entered the market were great, but Sega especially were very arcade game focussed. It made the machine the star for me rather than individual games from that period.
  • Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament '96 was on the list what I wrote then gone done deleted by accident. At #7.

Dark Souls was #1.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Mass Effect was average at best.

Have to agree there. I completed and enjoyed all three games but I just wasen't wowed by the end. It's just a run of the mill America in space adventure. ME 2 has some moments that really shine, mainly to do with characterization like Mordin studying human culture. But it's diamonds in mucky mediocrity.

ME 3 had decent MP though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've slept on Dark Souls / Demon Souls for too long...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Mouldywarp Advance Wars (GBA) Ikaruga Mario 64 (N64) Mario Galaxy (Wii) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) Donkey Kong Country (N64) Dark Souls Final Fantasy VII (PS1) Okami Goemon (N64)

It was SNES Donkey Kong Country, but it doesn't matter anymore because I'm switching it out for Ico. Was stupid not to include it. The game seems to have layers of subtext that speak to me on a  subconscious level - I sort of feel like I know what it's all about but can't quite put it into words.

@Tempy regarding OoT, I really understand what you're saying about "conditioning". It's something that winds me up no end with all kinds of other things like music (The Beatles were shit) to film (James Cameron has never made a good one). I would love to not have OoT in my top ten but if I omitted it I'd be lying. I've played it numerous times, as a kid and as an adult actively studying the design and I've thought long and hard about whether or not it is that good. For me, personally, it is. Although I think Wind Waker had a better art style, atmosphere and mythology, I just don't think the actual design is as tight.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Beatles did some great tunes and Cameron gave us Aliens and The Abyss.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mine is more about the games that have affected me on some level and that tied into my enjoyment of them. Not just because they're fun, which is how I've found the majority of games in this generation.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Beatles did some great tunes and Cameron gave us Aliens and The Abyss.

The Beatle's invented shite pop music and Aliens is average at best, certainly adds nothing to the original film.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mine have been about pure enjoyment with an eye to craftmanship and the fact that I still find them playable.

I think it is indicative of the quality of the company here that newer games are not overloaded as most "feature lists" or those arising from polls tend to suffer from. It's just too early though I do agree with the lack of charm with the "big" games now - but maybe that's a generational thing kicking in.

Sony and Microsoft have made their not inconsiderable and applaudable mark at the expense of Sega unfortunately. And poor old Atari never made it out of the pioneer stage. It was a heady time when Atari and their peers were in their prime - walking into an arcade then you could be sure a new genre would be waiting to be discovered. Someone mentioned Star Wars Arcade earlier - what an experience that was in the early 80s.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Beatles did some great tunes and Cameron gave us Aliens and The Abyss.
    The Beatle's invented shite pop music and Aliens is average at best, certainly adds nothing to the original film.

This isn't the thread for this debate, but that bolded statement....I don't know where to start!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    @Tempy regarding OoT, I really understand what you're saying about "conditioning". It's something that winds me up no end with all kinds of other things like music (The Beatles were shit) to film (James Cameron has never made a good one). I would love to not have OoT in my top ten but if I omitted it I'd be lying. I've played it numerous times, as a kid and as an adult actively studying the design and I've thought long and hard about whether or not it is that good. For me, personally, it is. Although I think Wind Waker had a better art style, atmosphere and mythology, I just don't think the actual design is as tight.

Your summation of Wind Waker is why I prefer it. Which is weird because I usually prefer tight mechanics and design to fluff, but WW's fluff is brilliant and a few weak dungeons is tempered by it being so gleefully different.

I like The Beatles but I don't really care about them.
  • i'd be interested to see what our wives or partners would put in their top ten games (if they could even name ten).

Also interested to know who has played Advance Wars but didn't put that into their top ten.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd put Fire Emblem before Advance Wars
  • no way. Never. Too many random elements to FE to make it good and no multiplayer.
  • Being dismissive of the Beatles ITF.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've player Advance Wars. S'alright. Someone got murdered over it so NO DICE.
  • I'll give you my Mrs fave games MK, to satisfy your curiosity. These are in no order apart from 1.

1. LEGACY OF KAIN (ENTIRE SERIES, ALL OF IT, EVEN THE ONE AT THE END THAT WAS ASS)
    2. Soul Calibur (none of the sequels, SC1 only)
    3. Star Wars Galaxies
    4. Crazy Taxi
    5. Fallout 3
    6. Futurama
    7. The Old Republic
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey games would be:
    Bust-a-Move 2 on N64 - 2 player race mode,
    Tetris on GB / SNES,
    Mario's Picross on GB - played to completion
    Splitz on GB - ditto,
    Shanghai Triple Threat on Saturn - 2 player golden tile battle mode.
    Mario Party - GC (watching my wife use a springo candy to leapfrog our 9y.o.daughter to steal a star opportunity from under her nose was an education in human behaviour - actually the older Mario Party games were set up to allow real vindictiveness - later entries have introduced a random element into picking a victim when an opportunity arises which is a bit of a cop out.)

There was a brief though intense dalliance with Mario64 - she actually set the console up to play that on one occasion when I was out when the craze was at its zenith - high praise indeed.
  • In no particular order.

Smash Bros Melee - For the split screen multiplayer. 

Oot - Had to be really, the first Zelda I played and still the best. 

Goldenye - Again, split screen multiplayer. 5 or 6 people, give up your controller when you die. golden gun, power weapons and instant kill settings, proximity mines, rockets... so many ways of playing, so much fun. 

Half Life 2 - Lots and lots of stand out set pieces. No video game has made me more tense than Ravenholm. 

Age of Mythology - The first RTS game I played and the first game I took online. More hours than I'd care to admit have been pumped into this

Starcraft 2 - Am I allowed to have a game on this list that I've watched other people play more than I've played myself? 

Counter Strike Source - I was always pretty bad, but this had me hooked for about 18 months. 

Halo 3 - My first online console game. Any game which rewards skill enough that I'm never killed by Shyam is a very good game.

Pro Evolution Soccer - Could be any of the series to be honest. Each one up till about 2009 was played to death.

Championship Manager 01/02 - Don't know how to pick a champ man but this was the first I played so it wins. Oh and genius text commentary.

3 of these games have been primarily single player experiences, the rest have all been multiplayer, either local or online. That fits with my gaming habits nowadays, apart from enjoying SMG2 over the last couple of months, I barely touch singleplayer.
    GT: Knight640
  • My Wife?

1) Spyro the Dragon
    2) No other games really exist as they're all the same as Spyro.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    In no particular order.

Smash Bros Melee - For the split screen multiplayer. 

? - a typo surely? ain't no such thing....Smash Bros does the zoomy thing. Melee has been played to death in our house - especially when four are gathered.

• mk64 wrote:
    the windwaker love suprises me most so far in this thread.

Windwaker will always be my favourite Zelda, although I appreciate it probably isn't "the best".

It was the first one that I played through to completion, and I loved the bigger focus on side quest stuff, like the camera and travelling salesman shit.

Also the art style and tone is by far the most interesting, and was great to see at a time when everyone else was hunting for gritty realism. Was probably the first time I actually felt like I was playing something that looked as good as a cartoon.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I could've filled more slots with current games easily, but wanted a representation of my gaming life.

I could have easily filled every slot from this gen with games I know I love, but also felt the need to dig back a bit, though I worry memory is rose tinting some of them, like GTA, Zelda or GT. Fairly certain I wouldn't have the patience for any of them nowadays.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    I could've filled more slots with current games easily, but wanted a representation of my gaming life.
    I could have easily filled every slot from this gen with games I know I love, but also felt the need to dig back a bit, though I worry memory is rose tinting some of them, like GTA, Zelda or GT. Fairly certain I wouldn't have the patience for any of them nowadays.

Exactly. The 360 is about 7 years old now, isn't it? I've played 127 games according to True Achievements, so picking a top 10 is pretty easy.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • mk64 wrote:
    Also interested to know who has played Advance Wars but didn't put that into their top ten.

I've played it, loved it. But I'm more into immersive worlds and narratives and all that malarkey for my best games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • fair play.
  • Yup, Advance Wars is superb but it doesn't have the things I love most about gaming.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    AW is my number one. Can't pick nine others.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!