Are "Wavy Wavy" Controls The Future Or A Misguided Movement (Ho Ho!)?
‹ Previous123456710
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I was just thinking... the greatest selling console of all time (the Wii, wasn't it?) relied on "wavy wavy" controls, but this generation of consoles appears to be distancing itself from the whole conceptual ball of hype...

It's a strange thing to know that the Kinect 2 is probably the most sophisticated consumer electronics device available to buy right now, but it now retails at a bargain bucket price (£20 if you want one). 

At the same time this is happening, we have this very well financed moved towards VR, which is effectively, "wavy wavy" on skag*...

I mean, when we think of VR, we currently think of HMD's and detailed 3D. But when you really start to think about it, the HMD and the associated processing power might well be the 'easy' part...

At some point, some company will have to pick up from where Nintendo left off... 

Control pads/sticks are an anachronism, right?

*What? Like, 'the highest of highs'? That sounds great! But you have to inj... Umm... No. You go ahead...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • They're here to stay. All consoles have motion controls. The Wii was the fastest selling home console iirc but sales tailed off and it was dropped so it's never going to catch up with PS2.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I can't forsee a short-to-medium term instance where I'd want to play a videogame without having to interact with some sort of tactile object.

I'm not just going to flap my fucking arms in the goddamn void.
  • Like Gabe said, your greatest bandwidth is through your thumbs.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    When motion tracking is usable enough to measure where my fingers are and pick up on their smallest movements, and I have 3D projectors placing buttons in front of me, then maybe. I mean you don't eat with your elbows, your hands are more accurate

I say only maybe as well, because it's quite likely that I'll also want some tactile feedback, remember the death of rumble and outpourings of grief. Games are an abstract, it's the game makers decision to shorten or lengthen that bridge according to what he wants to elicit. Taking forms of interaction away are a bad thing

I think pad with gyros is a good compromise. One pad for each hand, ala PSMove with both being tracked, might well come next, but I don't think we'll lose buttons for a long while yet. And I don't want us to
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I still say the Wii didn't rely on motion controls. It had them, yes.

It actually relied on good software and a simplified interface.

Pointy pointy being more important than wavy wavy. And less buttons being more important still.
  • In fact, my new telly has a pointing remote. It's like having a mouse but better.

Almost as good as touch screen but clearly more practical for a TV interface.
  • Yeah, pointy was the best thing about the Wii controller - if there's one thing the new gen should have made standard, it's that. The wavy stuff was nothing much in the end.

Overall, I don't see a time where pressing a button or a direction on a stick to do most actions isn't by far the easiest and most effective way.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'm not just going to flap my fucking arms in the goddamn void.
    It's never the same after they've had kids.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Like Gabe said, your greatest bandwidth is through your thumbs.

No, I believe he said it was your tongue.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pointy was good on the Wii but tilt was the best thing about it.

Mercury Meltdown, Kororinpa (plus it's hard to find sequel Marble Balance Challenge) and Bit Trip Beat are excellent examples of how sensitive and accurate it can be.

The control in Bit Trip Beat, based around twisting the wiimote, successfully recreates the feel of paddle controllers which is no mean feat. After that I was looking forward to a decent Arkanoid port or T2K, Kaboom or Warlords - no chance. Taito did a WiiWare version of Arkanoid but lazily ignored what Gaijun did in Bit trip and implemented d-pad control - what a wasted opportunity.

The nunchuck had tilt sensors too and was hardly used - Gottlieb pinball used both wiimote and nunchuck for nudging which was quite well done. Punch Out used the nunchuck tilt too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This is the future right here, fuck all other wavy wavy -

(Go to 2:50 if you don't want to hear all the talking)

I believe they are going to integrate Morpheus with this too, a perfect match.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I watched that right up to 'record your dreams'.

Fuck off.
  • Wavy-wavy is bullshit, wait till Nintendo's vitality sensor drops. Boom.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes they are the future, alongside many other input methods that have and have not yet been conceived, but not in their current form and they'll never fully replace buttons.

Next thread, please.
  • AJ wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Like Gabe said, your greatest bandwidth is through your thumbs.

No, I believe he said it was your tongue.

My tongue's rubbish, it's like dial-up.

Anyway, Newell's quote :

"Motion just seems to be a way of thinking of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth"
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yes they are the future, alongside many other input methods that have and have not yet been conceived, but not in their current form and they'll never fully replace buttons. Next thread, please.

Well... How many buttons did a mobile phone have in the late 90's, and how many buttons does the average smartphone have now?

This, quite strangely, is the complete opposite to what's happened with game controllers... That, of course, was until Ninty threw a curve at mofos'... 

In fact, the tendency to add more buttons/inputs to videogame controllers goes against the general underlying concept of technology (the main goal of technology is to generally simplify shit, after all). Seriously, how have we ended up with so many fucking buttons?

Not all that long ago, we had only three (or so) buttons, tops. And funnily enough, a more diverse range of entertainment software...

Sophistication aside, of course.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    They're here to stay. All consoles have motion controls.

An Xbone with no Kinect has no 'wavy wavy', I lie?
  • In fact, the tendency to add more buttons/inputs to videogame controllers goes against the general underlying concept of technology (the main goal of technology is to generally simplify shit, after all). Seriously, how have we ended up with so many fucking buttons? Not all that long ago, we had only three (or so) buttons, tops. And funnily enough, a more diverse range of entertainment software... Sophistication aside, of course.

We added more buttons so that we could do more things in game. Sure, Sonic only needs a D-Pad and one button, but other things either simply aren't possible, or are only possible in a seriously hamstrung way if you remove available inputs. I think given the pads available today though, we've reached the maximum inputs our hands are comfortable with. It's not really changed much since 1997.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yes they are the future, alongside many other input methods that have and have not yet been conceived, but not in their current form and they'll never fully replace buttons. Next thread, please.

Well... How many buttons did a mobile phone have in the late 90's, and how many buttons does the average smartphone have now?

This, quite strangely, is the complete opposite to what's happened with game controllers... That, of course, was until Ninty threw a curve at mofos'... 

In fact, the tendency to add more buttons/inputs to videogame controllers goes against the general underlying concept of technology (the main goal of technology is to generally simplify shit, after all). Seriously, how have we ended up with so many fucking buttons?

Not all that long ago, we had only three (or so) buttons, tops. And funnily enough, a more diverse range of entertainment software...

Sophistication aside, of course.

But phones don't require such precise inputs as certain types of game do.
  • Personally I found Move to be the best of the bunch.
    It just worked. You needed to be in a dimly lit room but it was more accurate than even Wii m+.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    They're here to stay. All consoles have motion controls.

An Xbone with no Kinect has no 'wavy wavy', I lie?
    If there was a recall on kinect.. that'd count.
    If we're talking about areas that I can press and have it recognized as a unique place. A million? Two million? Plus a couple of cameras, light detector, tilt, magnetic field, and between 3 to six buttons.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • That media molecule thing was awesome and the exciting thing is i can imagne quite easily how it was made, procedural animation like that is pretty marvellous right? You can buy the technology for about 50 quid for unity hah

I think when folk get used to having gesture based control thats so accurate, intelligent and hassle free they'll consign pads to the bin forever. Intention is to have a leap motion thing built into your eyewear for the VR/AR thing in such a way that you have incredibly accurate hand and finger tracking so long as you keep your hands in the sensor's 'view' (Which could be very broad). Every rotation and flick can be measured to crazy resolution, it learns to suit you, can blur out noise from the input etc. It can use the input and weigh it against things like a gyro and accelerometer too so your entire body can contribute to the input. (EDIT: I should add, this tracking can be taken from several devices in the room and interpolated to get the most accurate possible information, devices can be your console, your tv, your phone, other peoples eyewear and phones etc etc) It will come sooner or later, probably sooner, and the whole gamepad thing will seem a total pain in the arse and we'll have a little laugh at ourselves

Informed speculation from me once again. Everytime I think i'm doing something interesting with my speculation i find out its already been done, is going to happen and in the hands of rich interested people, i dont think what ive just said would surprise me if it turns up at some kind of tech expo
  • I think Metroid Prime 3 is probably the best example if controls in a first person shooting game.

It would be a disaster not to see that improved upon with a motion+ version in MP4.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well... How many buttons did a mobile phone have in the late 90's, and how many buttons does the average smartphone have now? This, quite strangely, is the complete opposite to what's happened with game controllers... That, of course, was until Ninty threw a curve at mofos'...  In fact, the tendency to add more buttons/inputs to videogame controllers goes against the general underlying concept of technology (the main goal of technology is to generally simplify shit, after all). Seriously, how have we ended up with so many fucking buttons? Not all that long ago, we had only three (or so) buttons, tops. And funnily enough, a more diverse range of entertainment software... Sophistication aside, of course.
    But phones don't require such precise inputs as certain types of game do.

You say that, but now mobile phone input technology is now making it's way into videogames, and it's all being billed as cutting edge... 

Top of the range mobile touch screens and gyroscopes do actually provide a wider range of input than a simple array of buttons.

Also, how many buttons does your mouse have, and how imprecise to you consider it to be?
  • Top of the range mobile touch screens and gyroscopes do actually provide a wider range of input than a simple array of buttons.

How much of it useful though?
  • Vela wrote:
    I think Metroid Prime 3 is probably the best example if controls in a first person shooting game.

It would be a disaster not to see that improved upon with a motion+ version in MP4.

Word.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Top of the range mobile touch screens and gyroscopes do actually provide a wider range of input than a simple array of buttons.
    How much of it useful though?

What sort of question is that!!?

Have you not seen the app store? It's full of games!!!

At the very least, comparing Devil Dice on a mobile device to the PSOne original is favorable (to the mobile device). 

And with that, if games are the leading app category on mobile devices, and if we consider app sales to be the largest secondary market for the mobile communication industry, why is there not a widespread trend to produce devices with a game device style input layout?

What happened to the NGage?
  • You're talking about replacing traditional control pads with touch and gyro though. In my experiance, the games that use traditional controllers haven't survived the transition to mobile very well, and the best mobile games are either conversions of mouse led games or new ideas built from the new input system.

The Vita has touch and gyro. Aside from games that come from mobile or are aping it, those features have a tendency to feel gimicky, not natural. I'm not using the tilt to aim stuff in Uncharted for example, when there are two analogue sticks, because the sticks simply do the job better.

I've never played Devil Dice. But I'm fairly confident that Uncharted would not play as well on a mobile as it does on PlayStation.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    App sales don't benefit phone manufacturers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
‹ Previous123456710

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!