Are "Wavy Wavy" Controls The Future Or A Misguided Movement (Ho Ho!)?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Games where you possess different people/beings would be really interesting in VR. Possess an OAP and maybe your vision is blurred and hearing filtered, possess an eagle or a bat or something and experience the enhanced senses and time dilation.

A VR version of Space Silcon Valley is suggested by that  comment - in that game you possess a range of animal-shaped robots such as mice, sheep and dogs etc. - some of which would give a unique experience.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • For wavy hand controls to really work I think we'd need a bit of every solution currently being put forward by the big 3. The Wii remote owns as a pointer but loses track of where it is too easily. PS Move is mushy as a pointer but knows where it is. Kinect can provide skeletal tracking so the game knows if it's being held aloft with your right hand or sticking out of someone's left pocket.

Maybe if the motion tracking always understood which kind of waggle I was doing, we could cut down on the buttons.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely we just need Kinect to be able to track your fingers as well. Point with your right hand, touch each fingertip with your thumb for buttons with the left, bish bash bosh, job done.
  • It came up before but people are used to some feedback.
    Which makes sense, fire a gun, swing a sword, eat a dick, there is a sensory feedback beyond sight and sound.
  • Those wrist bands that can tell where your fingers are look good but I want something in my hand most of the time. Maybe I'm just used to it that way. Leap motion is impressive but I don't want to play games on it in its current form.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If Kinect could track fingers, it'd also be able to track your penis if you'd rather use that. The bish bash is, once again, boshed.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kinect (2) does track fingers... But it's the voice recognition stuff that impresses me, especially when coupled with Azure...

If the Xbone team had balls, they'd have been on the cusp of a very cool technological frontier.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If Kinect could track fingers, it'd also be able to track your penis if you'd rather use that. The bish bash is, once again, boshed.
    I need haptic cock feedback
  • davyK wrote:
    Pointing to pick up stupid star bits in Galaxy games is a big reason why I detest wavy wavy shite. Completely unnecessary faff that distracts from the main game. If there was an option to just have coins and play with just a controller I'd still play it now.
    It's not wave - it's point - and highly accurate it is too. And you can collect coins to restore health. Star bits are to unlock levels (not to mention the fact you can fire them at enemies to stun them using accurate pointing). I honestly believe it is a valid scheme. No way you could do it with a clumsy analogue stick. You can argue that this was designed around the controller and is therefore contrived. I don't feel it is - DKC Returns using shake IS contrived and results in less accuracy - not so with Galaxy.

It might be accurate, but it certainly isn't fun. It's a pointless faff that doesn't need to be in the game. You don't need to have to collect shit to get through levels. Nintendo of all devs should know this: - Its about how you get through those levels and the stuff you get up to on the way. 'Pointing' or 'waving' (which in most cases I believe most people do the latter when playing Galaxy) to pick stuff up is intensely dull.

Sorry. I've played through both Galaxy games and never once felt the need to fire a Starbit at an enemy to stun it unless it was mandatory for progression.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    awwwww…… I'm drunk, and consequently, don't give a shit. But at the same time can see why you didn't like it.

It rekindled my love of games at a point where I was going to give up on the modern scene as there was eff all I was interested in published on Wii and the other two platforms

I loved picking up star bits during the 'tween planet sequences. Eff it - I loved Galaxy and everything about it.  There aren't much games I can say that about. That rotating tile level in Galaxy 1 was a bastard though.
  • Galaxy does the best of recreating 2d Mario games in 3d. It's one of the finest videogames ever made. Apart from indirect results, like not having a second stick to control the camera do making it not need one, I don't see the motion controls as a major part of what made that game great.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

That's fair comment. I'm hung over now though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Get back on the horse.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Galaxy was an amazing game. Skyward Sword too, but the problem is that we associate Nintendo's name with Mario and Zelda, and we associate those names with a very concrete game design.

With Mario, we expect platforms and shit.

With Zelda, we expect dungeons and shit.

After the Nintendo 64 everyone complained about the Gamecube, and how Ninty is nothing without Mazza (etc, etc)... 
    I personally think that the Wii was a direct response to those complaints. 

And it was a work of absolute genius.

Far smarter than the rest of the market, and perhaps even too clever for Nintendo themselves, because they really should have been able to follow up on Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Instead, they ended up filling Wii's catalogue with a list of titles that probably should have ended up on the Gamecube a few years before...

Part of the problem with Nintendo is their insular approach to IP. 

Like, 'it's our system, and we'll develop our own technology! You other poor bastards can work out your own shit'. When Sony released the Playstation, they did the complete opposite ('here... look... here's how Ridge Racer was made... You're on the dev program? Here... have some source with that...').

Surely, what you want in this day and age, is to attract as many people as possible to make stuff for your platform...
    That's where Apple succeeded and Sony succeeded. Maintain full control of the clever expensive bit (hardware), but give everyone else as much help and support to make software for it as possible.

I think the problem with the Wiimote was that developers loved it. They still do. But they all guessed that the cost to develop games for it would be extremely high when compared to the other 'sure fire' projects they had planned. Especially after accounting for Nintendo's notoriously stringent QA standards and poor third party support...

Who'd want to take that risk?

I'm sure a load of devs parked a load of very original ideas, before picking up their tools to start work on Generic FPS 3... 
  • I think another problem was 'good but not as good as nintendo' stuff doesn't sell.

Like a Sonic Kart game or a crappy 3D platformer.
  • Sonic Kart 2 was as good as Mario though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wot? The one on the Vita? That's alright, you know...
  • It wasn't just that with the Wii. Publishers tried to sell non-excersise non-party non-nintendo-style games and it didn't pan out. I don't think motion controls were the problem though. At least, not directly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's quite an awesome attempt, actually.

Just imagine if that was incorporated into simple two piece tracksuit...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Its application in sport training is interesting. Cheap too - could end up sewn into loads of things.

There are applications in security - there's a lot of work in image processing in places like banks and airports trying to auto-identify threatening behaviour. If these sensors were in staff uniform then alarms could be raised depending on defensive movement signatures for example.

• You could also strap one to your dong.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    You could also strap one to your dong.

They'd have a hard time with me. The proposed top of the range SKU tops out at 30 sensors. 
    I'm not sure if I can afford a 50 sensor array...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm sure it wouldn't need that many sensors to detect your cock.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ladies may benefit from accurate nipple tracking too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I'm sure it wouldn't need that many sensors to detect your cock.

There's no need to get scientific, mate.
  • Jumping in v. late but I had to set up an Xbox One for someone the other day and fuck me no. If that's what wavy wavy controls are MS and their bloody horse (THAT ISN'T EVEN A HORSE) can do one.
  • I love how a ten neuron pack would work perfectly towards a game controller but a 30 neuron pack has you with a ridiculously versatile mocap studio. My intended 6 playstation eyes used for mocap (hopefully have them and installed in proposed new abode by end of month) will be in the bin come next march i'd hope.

You can feasibly use them to track absolutely anything within wifi range, im thinking about sticking them to the pet cat and enjoying putting the original spazzing about in a game, then them getting used to it and having perfectly natural animal movement in a game, can use IK rigs to adjust any motion in a bone that you don't like procedurally too. I love stuff right now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!