Are "Wavy Wavy" Controls The Future Or A Misguided Movement (Ho Ho!)?
  • Samsung Gear VR uses a Note 4 plus headset and Oculus software. Interesting stuff. Better than Cardboard, not as good as Rift.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's an official Oculus project?

Deep shit...

Not to badger my own thread though, but this should be in the VR one...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Actually, this video has Rachel Riley and Jon Carmack so is therefore better:

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I wonder if the camera will work while the phone is in the harness?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    They're going hard at it too. Look at that joypad...

gear_vr_headset.jpg
  • Yup this ain't no Cardboard nonsense.

(I've not seen a price yet though!)
  • Can conform pad made by company that doesn't make games.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Can conform pad made by company that doesn't make games.

Moar.

samsung-gamepad-3.png

We've seen worse...
  • Yeah, I still have a Jag.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Jokes aside, this project looks as good as a new console to me... Possibly better. This is unbelievably good from Samsung.

I hate smartphones, but now I might possibly pre-order one...
  • We should all be incredibly excited by this. It's a brave thing and I really hope it works. I wanted a Note 4 anyway but this news has made me more certain.

Also I want to see people using it on the bus.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    ...Also I want to see people using it on the bus.

We can agree to disagree on that one... 

But I definitely agree about the rest of what you're saying.
    Stealing the jump on the Apple conference with the announcement too.

It's a very clever move.

I doubt the harness will come in at anything more than £70 in an attempt to rope in the female market, who I suspect might consume as many mobile games as the male market these days...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Yup this ain't no Cardboard nonsense. (I've not seen a price yet though!)

That's because it's not a real product yet, it's a beta release.
  • this housing should probably be really quite cheap, theres a big draw in the value, and it is a cracking move. really hoping it accomodates the S5 Prime (havent watched vids yet) too as its going to be a beast and next prospective phone

interestingly ive been trying to make a cardboard rollercoaster app a bit like the oculus one just to get stuff rolling (hah), its a pain getting desktop style environments running well on mobile! assuming i can get the SDK alright on Unity, can kinda undercut any android specific oomph by providing the same for iOs, winphone and so
  • Was waiting for Gunn's take on it. MORE PLEASE.
  • actually looks by the naming that Oculus would have (naturally) beaten me to the punch, providing an SDK for mobiles in general, doubtless a Unity integration, those crafty.. well october looks to be lively
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The big difference I can see here is in how it's going to be applied...

This thing immediately becomes the best way to watch a film...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As long as you have no desire to eat, drink or smoke while doing so.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I forgot you're a skeptic... In some ways I am too.

You have have to try some of the new tech though... there are some flaws, and this Samsung/Oculus venture won't solve them all, but what it will do, it bring a ton of game developers into an organised line to develop games for a cutting edge controller (it is what it is...) with an open source devkit (or at least a free devkit)...

Some one will develop a must have game for this.

It's like what the Steam Machine was supposed to be...
  • just watched the carmack video, watching that guy speak is just great, what a mind. if the Note 4 specifically is tailored to it then it might be the phone to get, i imagine it could be standard stuff in Samsung phones now, other phones will follow, Apple are really caught short, again, and i'm not entirely sure what they have in their plans to follow this up with - they've acquired Primesense, the orig Kinect startup and I imagine there will be something interesting there but with that tech it seems like they'd probably more or less present their own version of Google's Project Tango, which is going to be extremely important but sneakily stealthy technology for AR now, Google and Apple are going to be quietly collating the most detailed 3D model of earth you'd ever imagine soon. I'd imagine they'd just partner or have already partnered with Oculus for optical technology too. Oculus are really surprising me but I'm not sure why with such people in the company now, they're taking hold of this. With Sony developing the Morpheus themselves, I can imagine their own mobile tech cropping up soon based around that, Google are laughing all the way to the bank now though, softening up the alert devs with cardboard and now Samsung with that and Google Glass being the most obvious landing spot for all of this...
  • If this was the differentiating factor on a couple of similar phones, it would make the decision much easier.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well... Facebook don't look like cunts now, I'm sure, but was Oculus really worth 2billion? And wouldn't it have made more sense to split ownership with Samsung, if this plan was already on the way?

I'm digressing now.

The key thing is, that it looks like a good product, and even at this early stage, there's no Nintendo-esque lock in...

Just a load of talk about a publicly available API, and a potentially mahoosive audience

So you can now have a motion sensor, a GIS tracker, a hi res camera, and a portable network connection strapped to your face... Wonder what mans' are planning to do with that shit...

I still think I would prefer an open source Wiimote dev effort though, but I'll kop this Samsung thing, no doubt.
  • At this rate Oculus look worth an unbelievable amount of money and the move by Zuckerburg was a coup of historic standards. I underestimated how fast and smart they'd be with tieing this up. You're thinking a little small, dynamite, the experiences on VR do NOT have to be games, and they dont have to be films, they can be something else entirely - this is the fun, it's not some random peripheral like a Kinect or a Wiimote, it's a new medium for consuming information (like a speaker or a television) and it's the most profound leap into our personal realitys that any medium has taken, if Oculus keep this momentum, and i'm guessing now that Valve etc are probably working with closely over anything else, theyre going to be the engineers of quite something

The mobile market and even entire processing paradigm is somewhat different to pcs, the Samsung device is no way positioned to compete with something like a Steam Machine - for a start a mobile has nothing like the power of a desktop PC, so the type of experiences you could expect from them both may be totally different. On that note, I cannot see Valve not making some strong links between Steam Machine and VR in future, Samsung have just made another big push in getting VR out of the fringe. It's not really like it's a technology that has to worry about uptake, anyone who tries it is either sold or cannot deny its effect or potential, so the main thing now is getting it into the hands of as many people as possible, stop it having this aura of black magic or gizmo or novelty, expel loads of misconceptions that really would vanish upon experiencing it, and get everything moving..
  • There's a difference between being a company with a great product and a company that's worth $2bn. I don't know if they own any significant patents around the technology but Sony's effort suggests not.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    At this rate Oculus look worth an unbelievable amount of money and the move by Zuckerburg was a coup of historic standards. I underestimated how fast and smart they'd be with tieing this up. You're thinking a little small, dynamite, the experiences on VR do NOT have to be games, and they dont have to be films, they can be something else entirely - this is the fun, it's not some random peripheral like a Kinect or a Wiimote, it's a new medium for consuming information (like a speaker or a television) and it's the most profound leap into our personal realitys that any medium has taken...

This is the thing Gunn, I don't believe I'm thinking small at all here.

My view is this.

Computers are both incredibly useful, and incredibly complicated.

I think humanity will be better served by an effort to harness and control the bloody things, than to get lost inside the constructs they can process.

Not to say that's what VR is doing, and I will be kopping a Note 4 and that harness. I'll also fuck about with that API... But the Wiimote does appear to illustrate the side of the divide that I support (controlling and harnessing stuff), and the HMD can be said to demonstrate the potential of the other extreme...

That's probably a little more airy than some of the ideas I usually throw around here, but I thought it was kinda' apt to the thread, and wanted to share it.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    There's a difference between being a company with a great product and a company that's worth $2bn. I don't know if they own any significant patents around the technology but Sony's effort suggests not.

That's like saying Apple doesn't own patents because other people make smartphones. Wat. 2 billion is pocket change compared to the value of the industry it will create over time

Dynamite you're thinking small again, i love wiimote, so i'd use it with a HMD. right? This has already been happening for ages with the Oculus and the Hydra controller. VR and Wiimote are completely different things and can go together extremely well (but wiimote would probs be rendered obsolete or a novelty by a low cost neuron setup). An analogy would be you saying you prefer your gamepad to your tv because you like controlling your console more than you like seeing the result of your control. Bluetooth Hydra or Wiimote style coming to a Note 4 near you, watch this space, if not already filled (havent checked)
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    That's like saying Apple doesn't own patents because other people make smartphones. Wat. 2 billion is pocket change compared to the value of the industry it will create over time.
    I said significant patents. Maybe they've got dibs on "squint-to-scroll" as it relates to JavaScript but vr is decades old so I'd expect most of the biggies to be taken.

The value of the whole future industry doesn't mean much. Otherwise, $2bn on THQ in the early 90s would've been a great investment.
  • No, quite important patents are owned, Sony developing their own thing meant researching it along their own path. You can reach a similar conclusion many ways, thats how products compete in a world of copyright. Important patents continue to be created is the important thing, this is why Oculus grows, and if im surprised at how well theyre doing it i think theyre doing pretty well. Its worth watching Carmack talk in the long video, patent patent patent. The HMD? patented. The touchpad bla bla all patent. They now have the biggest lead on an official SDK for desktop and mobile based platforms going, and i think what oculus can do to facebook to have it absolutely EVERYWHERE, money

Mornings a vr morning, gottado something useful

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!