Are "Wavy Wavy" Controls The Future Or A Misguided Movement (Ho Ho!)?
  • Well this seems like fairly massive news. Looks like an awesome product.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Overclocked from Note-standard 60Hz to 75Hz. Interesting.

Sensible move to keep costs down though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah... And then there's this:
    I think the only thing I'm shocked by is the "powered by oculus" logo. I knew Samsung and Oculus were collaborating quite closely but this is REALLY closely. To the level that oculus are getting their own code into the Note 4's kernal? Wow!

That can't be a cheap thing to do. Obviously, it's also going to benefit developers who are not doing VR, but that's certainly proof that Samsung aren't just wodging' this into their plans. From the video that you posted, it also sounds like Carmack's definitely fully in charge of this effort. If it works, Samsung will owe him alot...
  • Carmacks words were also the efforts of many of his fellow masterminds currently coalescing there, lots of pretty impressive work, and as the fellow in the comment remarked, the level of dedication from Samsung to give the vr so much priority at such low levels really is something. It's a big big move. It's a very encouraging one

The OR using a samsung screen is kind of old news, its more or less a given that the oculus could be described as mobile phone repurposed with clever innovation, the marriage with mobile is going to be pretty intimate
  • I'll add i spent the morning experiencing a good few oculus demos and suchlike and while the quality can vary, there is no denying the brilliance of of moderately young minds going into this, the demo where things changed in enormous impressive ways depending on where you looked was really something (not a film, not a game, something else entirely). I decided to return to an earlier project and dust it off and I suppose consider it a possibility for an idea of VR hobbyist output aiming at more beefy gpus
  • Speaking of motion controls, I'm disappointed the Wii Remote took a backseat this generation. Sure, the Wii U is compatible with it, but Nintendo's decision not to bundle one in the box -- which was, in hindsight, probably the right thing to do given bundling a 'mote would probably add to the misconception that Wii U is just an upgraded Wii rather than a generational leap -- saddened me two years ago and it still saddens me now.

I think that's the reason Kadokawa Games have still left Rodea the Sky Soldier on hold (if I remember a Yuji Naka interview correctly), and there are tonnes of games that would benefit from smart pointer controls, like Stick it to the Man, that don't.

I still can't get over how good the Wii Remote pointer is, after playing even a launch game like Trauma Center with it. So low latency and incredibly precise and well calibrated. I'll miss the sort of experimental games that can only really work with it, that's for sure.

But yes, VR could potentially be a way for motion controls to be relevant again (was Move compulsory for Morpheus?), though again given the fundamentals in designing a good VR game in terms of avoiding motion sickness and so on the sorts of games that worked so well with the Wii Remote pointer won't carry over to VR anyway.
  • The PS4 pad light is for Morph so I doubt Move will be compulsory.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Ah, thanks for the heads-up on that. I guess it'll primarily be bundled with just the PS Camera, then, unless there's a bunch of Move-only software being planned by the indies.
  • Any controller that allows more expression with less physical inhibition and more feasible inputs is great, even moreso for VR and Morpheus on this point as being within the same world as your limbs makes your ability to relate to them increasingly important
  • Yossarian wrote:

There's not a suitable controller for games on the television either by the same logic, using genuinely honest and intelligent reasoning by oculus as an argument against the device is typically ridiculous.

On a more interesting note, the 3rd OR is looking very good, and i've decided I may wait out on buying a devkit until it is made available to the public. I presume thry'll take preorders at some point soon (I hope). That said, if the wait to actually get one stretches beyond a few months i may get the dk2 quite soon and then the 3rd around xmas (Which may be the intention of the unit). Having several rifts would be pretty useful for multiuser experiments
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    There's not a suitable controller for games on the television either by the same logic.

Nonsense. An abstracted controls work for an abstracted experience. Seeing your own hand on screen as well as in real life would be odd.
  • You see your hands on screen in typical videogames all the time. You dont see your hands in real life with a HMD on. There is already a widely available device for reproducing your hands on screen for VR, the issue being latency, the slight delay between your hands moving and result. There are more options coming next year. They were simply being honest, not decrying an insurmountable weakness of the medium.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I never stated that this was insurmountable, my argument has always been that the tech isn't ready for gaming yet and it appears that the creators agree with me.
  • No, i think most people's idea of suitable and carmack's idea of suitable are two very different things. The analogy for this would involve gamepads and all current motion controllers including the wiimote as being completely unsuitable controllers for gaming
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, that's nonsense and completely pulled out of thin air. If you look at 2D platformers, for example, what controls could be better than a D-Pad? Are you suggesting that I should have to run to the right in front of my TV to move?
  • You can still play games with a VR headset with a control pad just like you can with a television, so there, they already have a perfect controller, by your same logic. You're very smallminded about all this you know. Maybe you should actually, you know, actually use one before talking about it anymore
  • Don't they just need those gloves from Better Than Life?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You can still play games with a VR headset with a control pad just like you can with a television, so there, they already have a perfect controller, by your same logic.

That's not my logic, that's entirely of your own invention.
  • I probably just misjudged you and assumed, wrongly, that you were doubting the value of the medium because it's inherently uncontrollable rather than encouraging debate based on Carmack's perfectionism
  • A fleshlight controller is all you need for the perfect VR game.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You can still play games with a VR headset with a control pad just like you can with a television, so there, they already have a perfect controller, by your same logic. You're very smallminded about all this you know. Maybe you should actually, you know, actually use one before talking about it anymore

It will need some kind of controller anyway.

On a related note, I met the guy behind this not too long ago...

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/18/haptic-vr-guns

It's actually a Wii-mote hack.

Had a shit load of gremlins in the demo (for a start, the replicas that they were supposed to demonstrate got held up in customs), but it worked.

Could be a lot of fun with a full recoil mechanism, fake reloading, better calibration and, umm... 

A half decent game.

Have you tried this system, Gunn?

I have...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Seeing your own hand on screen as well as in real life would be odd.

I really liked the 'finger ripping' bits in Tearaway on the Vita.
    They were strangely convincing.

That back facing touch screen wasn't a crap idea at all, really.
  • Nope, should I have to? It sounds good, there's quite a few different controllers for the rift been assembled by inventive types that are pretty good depending on the genre. The hydra seems perfectly servicable for shooters, mainly if theyve been made or modded with the hydra in mind, and i'm pretty sure i'll be getting a leapmotion and the rift mount for it for some pretty decent hand and finger tracking at least pre-xmas. Since what i'm focusing on atm isn't really a game, it's for arch vis, being able to manipulate things in quite a precise way will be nice and it doesn't need to be targetted at the mainstream. Also i'm intending to have a neat mocap setup in my new place and a problem with the system i'm using is a poor ability to detect wrist rotation and zero ability to detect finger movement, so i can add hand animation seperately with that badboy

Of course next year comes the aforementioned neuron system which pretty much does answer a lot of the questions (wether they need answering being an entirely different issue) regarding mobility and vr at least within the wifi range of the sensors with the real caveat being precision for all movement (it'll be pretty good but not the kind of level Carmack's focussing on, where his vision for the OR is pretty intense it seems) and resistance in particular for hands.

The idea of possibly running into walls is a funny but valid one but with the idea of the headset's camera being exposed shown without obvious 'hey look there's a hole for the camera' in Cardboard, being very deliberate in the Samsung housing and a fairly obvious addition-to-be in the OR assuming the idea that the screen having variable transparency doesnt come about first (other obvious OR improvements are wifi to be rid of the very annoying cable and decent range positional detection), people being able to see their real surroundings easily and even sensors akin to google's project tango sensing proximity of surroundings should make that whole thing a safer proposition

Personally I think making a completely equivalent connection based on 'hey this vr things on my head therefore i should get around this game on my legs' is a little ridiculous, as there is literally no way to make on-screen and real life analogous like that and I doubt anyone alive can actually recreate the physical feats performed in the majority of video games, even the ones where you mostly walk. So I suppose VR's kinda fucked, it isnt reality
  • What the deuce is one of them?

It's something only gentleman can use.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Personally I think making a completely equivalent connection based on 'hey this vr things on my head therefore i should get around this game on my legs' is a little ridiculous, as there is literally no way to make on-screen and real life analogous like that and I doubt anyone alive can actually recreate the physical feats performed in the majority of video games, even the ones where you mostly walk. So I suppose VR's kinda fucked, it isnt reality

Then don't make it completely equivalent, ramp up the real world actions in game. Double or treble my real life abilities. Give me bullet time. Have everything in game react as if I have the strength of the Hulk. This part is easy to overcome once the tech is finally there to support it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Nope, should I have to?

Not really.

Isn't that Yoss' argument?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!