Are "Wavy Wavy" Controls The Future Or A Misguided Movement (Ho Ho!)?
  • The best example ever of wavy shite was Wii Sports.
    Yes. That and Wario.
    There's nothing more to be done. A surprising novelty that lasted way longer than it should've.
    No... Baseball, tennis and bowling alone were worthy of full on sequels.

Yeah but you've said it right there yourself: - sequels. They're doing nothing more with the formula, just releasing more content based on the same wavy stuff that, kinda worked in the first place. There have been no new games for wavy stuff that have been remotely successful. 

Skyward Sword is probably the only game outside the sports genre that used the 'tech' in any meaningful way.
  • I'd say Red thingy did too. Steel.

And Boom Blox mebbe.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Gunn, I can't remember what VR headset I used, it was early tech back in the eighties. I'm sure that much of the tech has come on in leaps and bounds, but I'm also sure that no amount of tech can make up for the physical limitations of using one in your living room.

Also, you keep talking about these new experiences and claiming that it's different from looking at a screen, how so? What new experiences are possible?

Also, as a side question, how do they deal with focussing in 3D space? Does it use depth of field effects or is everything in focus at the same time?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Does it use depth of field effects or is everything in focus at the same time?

50-50... For peripheral vision (the corner of your eye), if the FoV presented by a large screen is wide enough, then you'll naturally miss stuff outside of your standard range of vision in a foggy blur, but for the stuff that appears right in front of you, you'll need to emulate that, I'm sure. 

But to do that, you'd 'only' need to do what game artists currently do anyway. Chump will undoubtedly give a better answer than this.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hope they don't. I got motion sickness using the binoculars in Stranger's Wrath, I can't imagine how vomit-inducing OR could be with DoF.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Some spods' go at it:
    https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2583

That's where I'd start if I were bovved'...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    @Gunn, I can't remember what VR headset I used, it was early tech back in the eighties. I'm sure that much of the tech has come on in leaps and bounds, but I'm also sure that no amount of tech can make up for the physical limitations of using one in your living room. Also, you keep talking about these new experiences and claiming that it's different from looking at a screen, how so? What new experiences are possible?

Argh. This whole 'human experience' (looking walking etc) thing of VR is a mostly pointless waste of thought IMO, I'll be quite happy just sitting (or lying!! o_O) back and near forgetting about my corporeal form as I translate myself into whatever entity exists within the machine.

One of the big advantages to VR headsets as I see it is going to be the integration of total virtual surround sound via binaural channels. With just a screen some distance in front of you sometimes the 'sound coming from all around you' doesn't make so much sense, I remember a badger mentioning this a while back. Personally I don't mind the standard surround sound at the moment, but I would really like to experience the next level of audio-visual immersion.

Regarding the twin nunchuk style of FPS you should definitely all check these out, posted these in the future fps thread a while back -

That's a fellow student from a college course I was on a while back, really nice chap, and what he's doing with the Razer Hydra there is pretty fantastic, definitely want to see some full games that play like that (with a VR headset too :D).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All this stuff about simply using it as a screen, why not just get one of the head mounted screens that already exist? They've been around for years.
  • I'm sure if you tried it you would realise what all the fuss is about Yoss. I mean, it must be really convincing to make people actually fall over with one on. I think it'll be fantastic with the right application:

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I wanted to fall over in my living room I'd just drink tequila.
  • It's about feeling like you're somewhere else other than your living room though. This is the whole point of VR no?

I get vertigo going up elevators in shopping centres so I'd be hopeless, but I can see the attraction, and would very much like to try the rollercoaster demo it's got on it. The implications for an OR adventure type game done right is exciting to me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    As for graphics tablets, too niche innit?

Needs an appropriate game to show it off, is all.

If the pen's sensor would still track a few inches above the tablet, you'd have an aerial mouse with the ability to interface with in-game objects in the most accurate human manner. You could manually repair RTS units by redrawing their broken parts, say.

Or a game where you play as a War surgeon, navigating the battlefield, giving orders, and performing surgeries with your pen.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    As for graphics tablets, too niche innit?
    Needs an appropriate game to show it off, is all. If the pen's sensor would still track a few inches above the tablet, you'd have an aerial mouse with the ability to interface with in-game objects in the most accurate human manner. You could manually repair RTS units by redrawing their broken parts, say. Or a game where you play as a War surgeon, navigating the battlefield, giving orders, and performing surgeries with your pen.

Now that I come to think of it, it's probably marketing that killed the widespread adoption of the graphics tab. When they first came out they cost a squillion pounds, and you had to make a business case to justify a purchase (mostly making traditional artists/painters productive in a digital setting). 

That idea stayed in everyones' mind, and to further it, game design studio art staff are/were probably more familiar with graphics tablets than anyone else.

They'd have definitely fucked about with some graphics tab concepts, and they'd probably be quite cool to see... I'm also sure there are some decent random experiments out there on that inter' thingy... I've recently set my tab back up, so might have a look.

My tab is ghetto... It's a bargain for an A4 (about £70), but I have questions about it's refresh rate (though that could be down to my PC). The pens for it are also as flimsy as fuck, and break easily. It's cost me about £90ish quid in total after factoring in stylus replacements. In that time, I've probably spent about £30/40 quid on mice...

Though more expressive than the mouse for certain tasks (mostly art stuff), I'd find it hard to argue that they're more precise general, and they do take a fair amount of getting used to (for artists too).
  • The best example ever of wavy shite was Wii Sports.
    Yes. That and Wario.
    There's nothing more to be done. A surprising novelty that lasted way longer than it should've.
    No... Baseball, tennis and bowling alone were worthy of full on sequels.

Yeah but you've said it right there yourself: - sequels. They're doing nothing more with the formula, just releasing more content based on the same wavy stuff that, kinda worked in the first place. There have been no new games for wavy stuff that have been remotely successful. 

Skyward Sword is probably the only game outside the sports genre that used the 'tech' in any meaningful way.

Metroid Prime 3. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009-13. World of Goo. Resi 4. All used it to great effect.

Unfortunately few followed those examples. CoD and the Conduit games did learn from Metroid a bit. Goldeneye as well in its reimagined form.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    World of Goo works brilliantly on iOS. It's like it was designed for touchscreen.
  • Was Resi 4 on Wii an actual graphical update form the GC version or was it just the controls were adapted for the Wii?
  • World of goo is indeed great on iOS. Puzzle games and tower defence are something the iThings do really well.
  • Yossarian i don't know if you're trolling or you're missing the point so wildly i don't know how to bring you back TO the point. It's not depth of field (this is the effect where the aperture of a lens creates a focal plane upon which an image is clear, the fore and background being out of focus), it's depth perception, the sensation of there being genuine depth to the scene

I'll explain it again, and i'll have to remind that you really do have to try it to 'get' it and when you do it wont be what you expected and you'll get what i'm on about.

The optical effect means that you aren't looking at the display, you're looking at the objects on the display, where they would be if they were in actual physical space. So you're almost 100% of the time looking at points a meter or more behind the display. The display becomes what would be a window to another, literal, world/reality (depending on how the author of that space portrays it, re. it being up to developers) if it were a 3D tv that you can play games on.

3D tvs do not take it far enough, it's just little windows, you can easily separate it from its surroundings and go 'ohh neat' and thats it.

The OR, and HMDs based around it, go to efforts to use lenses and post effects to fill your vision with the display, so its not a window, it fills almost all of your vision, you're there, and with it tracking your head orientation, you can look around the place and you're there.

Imagine you're sitting in a room which you can recognise as real, put on a headset, and now find yourself in a completely new place that you recognise as real. You know your body is in the original room, but your eyes are telling you that you're in another place, you're existing in two places at the same time, perceptually (hence the name 'oculus rift' clever hey).

It's such an interesting thing because it plays completely on your sense of depth, it's how you know your vision is '3D' in normal every day life, and you dont know how profound it is to how your mind understands reality until it's artificially induced. The same experience can actually be had via hearing using a sound output meant for 5.1 surround converted to binaural stereo over headphones.

I'm not sure why I haven't already done this but I have a plugin for Unity that can generate binaural stereo from Unity's regular 3D sound and i've been using the Oculus SDK with unity for quite a while now so I really should be doing experiments with them, they're a no-brainer combination but I havent read anything about them being used together properly, which is silly when the big speakers for VR (Abrash etc) go on about 'presence' and immersion

Anyways.. it's nothing like looking at a display in front of your eyes, its so unlike the old virtuality things it's not worth a comparison, there have been HMDs that follow head orientation and have a display for years, Sony make fancy ones for a grand or so and have done for ages, the experience is not the same thing, it's like looking through your regular eyes in a regular way in a place but that place could not possibly exist - it's too pixelly and not realistic looking for a start, not that this distracts from the experience really, in fact it just leans your mind towards looking forward to completely un-normal things.

Consumer VR, which is still a bit away, seems set to blow a lot of misgivings placed by the DK1 (low res crappy screen, terrible latency) away, with the res being 2.5k by something with a frame rate of 90 fps seen as an expected standard for software to adhere to.

I agree with the sentiment stated above about VR somehow meaning you must do what humans do in the possibilities given by the medium, saying 'be a human' seems incredibly small really? The head translation detection in the DK2 and onwards isn't meant to track your movement around a room, it's meant to track your head movements based on a seated or stood on one spot position (or sure, laid down), the receiver vid above shows how nicely this was done even with a DK1 nevermind PROPER head tracking.

Finally, again with above comment about being laid down, i have to echo this, the way you play (or i play and i cant see the trend going much against this) VR stuff is almost an opposite aspect of how you play games regularly. You're not looking at a display, so you're not sat forward, looking at a screen, poised towards it, being in this position is just pointless and uncomfortable when you dont have to be. I tend to find i'm sat back, in as relaxed a position as possible, real world movement is a distraction, if possible i WILL lay on my back or at least be as reclined as possible while allowing proper head movement.

As much as you would like to say you get it, you dont, and you wont until you try it, and you'll go 'i wasnt expecting that'. Thats what ive heard from most people. Its not good or bad, its a good thing i think but its perfectly possible for it to be horrible, like having loud noise blaring into your ears is bad, doesnt make speakers a bad thing. What it turns out to offer will be down to developers, it wont be a mainstream thing until, like i say, augmented reality hardware is a ubiquitous lifestyle accessory akin to (and married with) smartphones, but until then, for the people with an interest in or time for spending time in places that arent the real world it will be a much pursued interest
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not trolling, I just don't see how any of the above is going to translate into any sort of new or different experience. It's a different (and in certain respects, limited) way to view a 3D space. How will that cause substantively different games?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It won't, that's the developers job. And though cuckoo makes a sound point about 3D being substantively different than on a telly or theatre. We're still looking at a situation where we will have the whole depth in focus at all times. Sounds stupid but if replicating vision is what we want them well need pupil tracking included, and then visually dithering certain depths according to pupil size. But this only makes a generalisation of where people are focused. I'm sure it could be zeroed for individuals, or maybe I'm just talking gubbins.
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Having the whole depth in focus at all times is interesting. Creating films in such a way might cause me to not think 3D movies are rubbish.
  • I think until we've all had a stab at OR, we should just reserve judgement. Yoss you haven't used it so you can't see the potential. People and industry experts that have used it say it's an obvious leap forward in terms of VR, and it is an exciting prospect. I can imagine games that relish in giving the player an immersive experience will benefit most from it, and I can't wait to see what will spring up from the tech.  

Have some imagination at least.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    We had it at the arts centre in Derby for a couple of months. I used to help out there on the av side sometimes. Had a play and it really was scarily immersive, potential is definitely there, just intrigued as to what people do with it. On the flipside I genuinely think pupil tracking needs to be included, and I'm thinking of the Dev tools that could be built to take advantage of it. Pointless thinking about patenting any of it, as the military have been using this for years in target acquisition
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    It won't, that's the developers job. And though cuckoo makes a sound point about 3D being substantively different than on a telly or theatre. We're still looking at a situation where we will have the whole depth in focus at all times. Sounds stupid but if replicating vision is what we want them well need pupil tracking included, and then visually dithering certain depths according to pupil size. But this only makes a generalisation of where people are focused. I'm sure it could be zeroed for individuals, or maybe I'm just talking gubbins.

You don't need pupil tracking because one of the principal design goals of a VR HMD is to fill your field of vision, so wherever you look, things will be where you expect them to be. The whole thing in focus you'd think was a point until yeah.. you try it, and it just doesnt occur to you, i guess out of the things your brain cares about in vision and what it doesnt care about, the focus plane (the depth of field as mentioned) is actually not that important, whereas your eye convergence (depth perception) is quite fundamental, in fact in nauseating and spooky situations ive been messing with the settings of the VR driver during a game while looking at the stuff in the game and people ended up seeming absolutely enormous, like the size of planets, while taking up the same amount of space on screen as they would when being people sized, and its just as weird going too far the other way too

Don't mess around with those kind of settings too much should you be given them i'd say, it can be quite unpleasant
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am imagining what can be done, that's the problem. What I'm imagining isn't that different from what we have.

If this is down to my failure of imagination, then fine, what am I missing here?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That makes sense, I guess I have strong peripheral vision, and the sharpness of stuff I wasn't looking at was distracting. I only used it probably three four hours over a few weeks. I found myself looking at stuff I didn't want to far too often. Probably why I'm thinking about dithering (wrong word but I think it conveys my thought) would make it easier to focus. Which conversely gives you the developer the chance to draw the user's focus by fucking with peripheral
  • If you cant tell the difference between looking at a game on a screen and looking around your living room then i'd say your eyes/brain were fucked but your imagination was fine, if you can tell the difference then your imagination isn't considering the difference between looking at a game on a screen and looking around your living room
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm a big fan of level design, in my opinion that's how a developer tells his story. I also adore horror films. So the potential for fast movement off centre, actual sub conscious attention grabbing sounds brilliant
  • cockbeard wrote:
    That makes sense, I guess I have strong peripheral vision, and the sharpness of stuff I wasn't looking at was distracting. I only used it probably three four hours over a few weeks. I found myself looking at stuff I didn't want to far too often. Probably why I'm thinking about dithering (wrong word but I think it conveys my thought) would make it easier to focus. Which conversely gives you the developer the chance to draw the user's focus by fucking with peripheral

You do have a really good point and since you speak from experience i simply cant argue, the thing being simply that what the oculus does is quite cheap, that's why it's taking off, the optics boil down to two 45mm focal length biconvex lenses a certain distance away from a display for each eye, the rest is done in software really using very computationally cheap methods, they just had to be initially thought up, but that's done now. Smartphones more or less made everything that makes the OR work very cheap to produce and acquire

Pupil tracking however is probably, or certainly, not so cheap, i'm sure it's been done but im not sure it's had the benefit of mainstream financing, manufacturing, miniaturisation, software development blabla, it's without a doubt coming i'd imagine, seems fairly obvious but is definitely more 'active', needs a particular sensor and wotnot. The dithering you mention is actually a regular image effect for games these days, it's just an emulation of depth of field! like your eyes or, more easy to abstract and study, cameras do. Takes the depth of the scene as a an image of values from 0 = furthest to 1 = closest and blurs the screen proportionally to the focus depth/intensity wanted, unlike the standard OR barrel distortion however this IS a comparitively computationally expensive effect too, so along with the pupil tracking it's not nearly as much a priority as getting the other stuff right for the technology I guess
  • And cocko you might want to look up accounts of the new Alien game, Isolation being played on the OR, it's apparently absolutely terrifying, and i'm not remotely bothered by horror games (Okay I admit Amnesia creeped me out a fair bit) but I can imagine exactly what it would be like and being killed would stay being unpleasant, no matter how many times it happened, so long as it let you move your head freely during the experience

Interestingly I can imagine the game being quite mundane on a regular monitor, or at least the capacity for annoyance, meh-ness and boredom at the disconnected repeated dying at the jawed tongue of an inconsistent AI become overly apparent

I should call this the Dear Esther effect

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!