Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Little prick. *sigh*

Bone version is an up-ressed 360 version btw.

And your just as much a fanboi as me.
    So is Paul! ;-)

Well it would nice if you apologise for accusing me of something I didn't actually start. You're the one going on the attack.

But fannies, DS is right :)

OT, I had read you could finish this in ten minutes which doesn't make me want to rush out and buy. Assuming not true?

• daviedigi wrote:
    Little prick. *sigh*

Bone version is an up-ressed 360 version btw.

And your just as much a fanboi as me.
    So is Paul! ;-)

Matters not, were this not MGS it would be laughed at. Looks nice, plays nice, but a few missions in the exact same environment is a demo of a small variety of things. Fun for a couple of hours, glad it didn't cost me anything.
  • Someone needs to shove a bomb into the guts and fanny of this thread.

The real debate here should be that are gamers prepared to look past 'price/campaign length = defacto indicator of value' when it comes to titles like this.

But everyone is too busy shitting into their hands, rubbing it into their faces and mouths and then flinging whatever is left up the walls.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Anyway, MGS is shite whether it's a demo, on PSwhatever or on a ZX Speccy.

Fin.
  • OT, I had read you could finish this in ten minutes which doesn't make me want to rush out and buy. Assuming not true?

10 minutes if you know what you're doing.
    You can complete Super Mario Bros quicker if you know what you're doing.

Completing the story is one thing, but the optional stuff, and unlocking the console specific bonuses will take more time.

Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Someone needs to shove a bomb into the guts and fanny of this thread.

The real debate here should be that are gamers prepared to look past 'price/campaign length = defacto indicator of value' when it comes to titles like this.

But everyone is too busy shitting into their hands, rubbing it into their faces and mouths and then flinging whatever is left up the walls.

Agreed, this thread is now a fucking car crash and I apologise for my part in making it happen.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    OT, I had read you could finish this in ten minutes which doesn't make me want to rush out and buy. Assuming not true?

10 minutes if you know what you're doing.
    You can complete Super Mario Bros quicker if you know what you're doing.

Completing the story is one thing, but the optional stuff, and unlocking the console specific bonuses will take more time.

Good point, I might wait to buy when it drops in price though - its great there are so many positive comments but mentally Im not sure if I can get past the 'demo' tag, right or wrong.

• Is this the next gen thread?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kind of. It's the demo for the next gen thread. It'll be over in 10 minutes, don't worry. Now, bend over while I take £30 out of your wallet.

:D
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    TAKE MY MONEY
  • 7f1576a2c19b385ca2fa1bcc8f5a08ae_zps37ef0646.jpg
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • IN THE ASS
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I dunno why people are getting mad, no one gave a shit when South Park did an episode where Hilary Clinton had a thermonuclear device implanted up her chuff, all of a sudden Kojima shamelessly copies the idea for use in a game and everyone's gone full Kotaku.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Don't you mean gone full retard? Everybody knows you never go full retard.

http://youtu.be/oAKG-kbKeIo
  • That was implicit, I got a two for one by dropping the word retard and replacing it with Kotaku. Allowing me to mock both the retarded and the morally outraged at the same time.
  • Roujin wrote:
    That was implicit, I got a two for one by dropping the word retard and replacing it with Kotaku. Allowing me to mock both the retarded and the morally outraged at the same time.

I love your work...I am merely your student.
  • Net nannies assemble!
    GT: Tr3D   PSN ID: TR3Dx
  • I haven't seen it but that doesn't seem terribly equivalent beyond one literal detail. I'm guessing there's a vast gulf in tone and implications of agency for a start.
  • Useful counter-instance: There's a chunk of an already large book - Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow - devoted to the long coercion of two soldiers, a young man and woman, into sexual slavery by a sadistic, almost mystical military chief at a rocket testing facility during WWII. (The whole thing is self-consciously discussed as a Hansel & Gretel parable but that's by-the-by). It's fairly graphic and we're in no doubt that it's not a lot of fun for the kids, or indeed the chief to some extent. Crucially, this takes place in a book, a very thorough book, in which each character is granted a rich internal psychological life and thus some degree of autonomy as interesting creatures in their own right - no one is being deployed as a blunt and lurid motivational object for Solid fucking Snake the digital puppet spyman. No one is being asked to put the book down to drive a truck.

What I'm proffering here is that if you want to go into the experiences, confusions and consequences of torture, war, torture-in-war, even cartoonishly awful torture like Koj's selection, you need to be a better writer. Pynchon is among the greatest writers alive or dead with a peerless command over the English language and only gets away with anything remotely similar at all by being exhaustively humane to the minds and identities of his cast. It's cruel to a point, but it's rich and illuminating; it feels authentic and, heavens a-fucking-bove, mature. It also requires a lot of intellectual space.

See, part of being a better writer is picking the right medium for the job. Fucking Metal Gear Solid, the Tactical Espionage Action vehicle is not it, at all. Koj's constant error is in supposing otherwise, which is why all of his studio's output has been bloated, frustrating dreck with weak scripts that never rises above "bad anime plus uhh some geopolitics memes I guess; cue orchestral gimmicks". He/his team know only raw rule/level/behaviour/combat design (also presentation to an extent, I mean those Shinkawa doodles right?) with any convincing competence; restricting their flair to that would actually be evidence of he and they not being total pillocks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Kojima said he were going to be going darker with mgsv to reflect big boss fall from grace to becoming a war criminal.
    Also the phantom pain will be focusing on the loss of limbs and simular themes. 
    (child soldiers, blood diamonds and other horrible stuff have been shown in trailers and coverd briefly in past games of the series)
    Hes always tried to deliver on the messages/theme of the games and for some (me for instance) hes deliverd, the nuclear arms race and proliferation of nuclear arnament, the rush to a digital age and the cost of it all, cloning etc etc.
    Of course theres all the comedy and sillyness but it breaks up the tension and makes it what it is.

If books and cinema can do mature storys with harsh torture (life of christ, etc) why cant videogames attempt them?
    It may not work but at least hes trying and not censoring it or changing his vision of the story (resi5 coloured folks being shot by white people controversy etc) to pander to a younger audience or to have it sell more units.
    If we want folks to tell mature stories then we have to give them the chance to do so.

And if you dont like metal gear then im afraid this is the wrong thread for you.
    You never answered if youd played ground zeros? i was interested if youd witnessed the torture tape and the bomb removal scene yourself, watched a playthru or were just commenting on the issue of it being in this game that you clearly dislike.

Also for everyone else complaining about the torture, YOU GET TORTURED IN EVERY SINGLE METAL GEAR ffs. (except 4 as thats considerd torture enough for some :) ;)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I've checked out the offending section, aye.

I'll post wherever I damn please, especially where I detect people being blinkered dorks.

I explained in detail why if he's interested in mature storytelling he's fundamentally barking up the wrong conifer.

You throw a list of his topics at me when I've already acknowledged same and stated he fucking sucks at them.

It's not simply about Torture, it's about context, execution and power dynamics. Koj's grasp of these is simplistic and sensational, and it actively nerfs the stuff he's actually got a talent for.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    offending section is the right use of terms as i think he wanted it to offend and shock,
    Well it certainly worked here.

I werent suggestion you dont post here just that if you dont like the series why bother with it on here?
    On the contrary i enjoy your posting and it gives me food for thought.

Were we differ in opinion is his games and story telling wich i enjoy and you think suck.
    We are all entitled to share our opinion here as thats what these boards are for, the fact these scenes (and the implyed rape and torture is only on an audio tape) generates so much discussion about the game only serves to make me enjoy the game and discussion more.

I would also assume that you never played thru peace walker (like many here) either so the events that run up to these offending situations arnt in context or fully explained either.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I'm aware of PW actually, was the last thing I gave a looksee on my PSP before it died. It doesn't help.

Trouble with a Name as prominent and with as large a subscriber base as MGS is that no one calls them out on their shit with sufficient force, and so the products never really improve. In truth Kojware had been guilty of some pretty fucking suspect gender stuff as far back as Snatcher - this is just his most crude instance to date.

Causing offence to, at best, generate discussion about the causation of offence is really fucking lazy and artless. As bad as the whole shit-game-to-make-a-point-about-shit-games wheeze. Actually worse here for treating material as powerfully triggering as rape and torture so casually (and it must be casual in that the main meat of the experience is still a technical stealth-em-up). This doesn't elevate the material - it compromises it gravely.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    Also the phantom pain will be focusing on the loss of limbs and simular themes.

That old classic.
  • Perhaps I missed something, as I never saw any scenes of
    Spoiler:
    Anywhere in my playthrough. There were plenty of hints in the cassettes I listened to, but nothing explicitly shown. It was all left to the imagination.

All in all, I thought the game was fantastic. A great prelude to The Phantom Pain, showcasing some of the new features that we can expect to see more of in the concluding part of Metal Gear Solid V.
    From the opening cutscene that reminded me of the quality of MGS2's intro, to the ending that left me wanting more, Ground Zeroes was more than I expected.

Just a shame that the ending was spoiled for me by some careless folk around here. Spoiler tags are there for a reason, fellow Badgers.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    offending section is the right use of terms as i think he wanted it to offend and shock.

If that is the case then Brooks is right.

There is huge difference between covering a subject intelligently and 'wanting to offend'. In fact if that was indeed his goal, its pretty sick tbh.

• Having my sanity questioned by someone with a history of mental health issues? Lol indeed.

Classy stuff there Paul.

I suffered from depression, that doesn't take away my right to laugh at someone going completely over the top.  And where was I "questioning your sanity"? 

I think you lost it a little over the fanboi stuff mate, it was all a bit of banter, which you've completely gone silly about and got personal hence your remarks about someone who has suffered from depression not be being able to disagree or laugh because you're throwing an internet hissyfit because, ya know, "they're too mental lol". 

I do think you should read up on depression though - seeing as you obviously don't understand it or what it entails.
  • I'm gonna get this, 22 quid on amazon is fine for something that I'm sure I'll get enjoyment from.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!