Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  • BxN--uGCUAAfyRz.jpg

It doesnt seem that long since i bought the last collection. Once on disk then again when it came out as a download. Can I just pay a subscription and always have the most up to date metal gear games available?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • So the collection is a clothing line.
  • wind-power-clothesline.jpg
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm ok, this is the general Metal Gear thread as well?

Anyway, after seeing all the latest Phantom Pain trailers I think I'm ready to get into Metal Gear. I tried it ages ago, the gamecube version, but wasn't patient enough and kept dying on the first guard.

We actually have all the main games (Twin Snakes on GC, 2 and 3 on ps2 and 4 on ps3, my brother has revengeance as well on ps3), but I'd like to play them all without having to switch consoles and cables around, plus better graphics are never a bad thing, I guess.

As far as I understand, the HD Collection has MGS2, MGS3 and Peace Walker.
    The Legacy Collection has MGS (original graphics?), MGS2 HD, MGS3 HD, Peace Walker HD, Special Missions (what is that) and MGS4 with trophys.

Not sure which version would be the best, I don't really need a trophy version of 4, and if it's the original version of 1, I might just go with Twin Snakes (Wii and wavebird meaning no cables). I guess the 2nd and 3rd game are the same on both discs? I don't know why there need to be so many different versions, I just want to play all the games with the best graphics, and preferably on the same console.

Anyone knows if the internet has already decided which of those 2 collections is the best to have?
  • I got burned mercilessly on MGS4. Never again.
  • @Nina as far as I remember the legacy edition is just Mgs hd collection + Mgs psone version and mgs4. The special missions appear to be the Mgs vr missions.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I swear I remember you bumming Peace Walker.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, Legacy seems to be having an artbook as well.

Guess HD collection (cheaper anyway) and Twin Snakes are the way to go. Now only to decide if playing in order released, or chronological. 

I hope it will rain loads by the time I've decided what to do.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    I got burned mercilessly on MGS4. Never again.
    This utter fucking gash, couldn't make it past the first bit. Dreadful fucking game and a pox on all the simpletons giving this trash a market. You're ruining games for everyone. When I'm mullah of the UK you'll be first lined up on the wall. Except for maybe those cunts who wear Superdry Japan jackets.

I've always thought that maybe i just didn't get some secret tongue in cheek Jap weirdness with the whole series.  Turns out that no that's not the case, they've all been gash all along and those people kidding themselves that its all just fourth wall breaking fun need to take a long hard look at themselves.  Biggest case of emperors new clothes in all of gaming.
  • Destiny thread begs to differ.

Mgs 1-3 are all pretty good and Mgs four is okay but full of fan service.
  • It can't be denied that there are glimmers of real excellence in the series as a whole, but it's very little sugar to a lot of gall ultimately.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I fucking loathe MGS4 as much as you lot but over the years I've grown to interpret the gash as totally intentional from Kojima who just wanted Snake and that plot arc to die so he could move on. I think his heart has gotten back into it with Peace Walker (which got me back into the series) and Phantom Pain because Big Boss's games deal with different themes.

Sons of Liberty has a mad amount of clever subtext regarding fans of the series and games in general. It's still pretty impressive on that. And the tranq gun was genius. Doubt we'd have a concept of non-lethal playthroughs in most games today were it not for the Mk22.
  • If he wanted an end then why didn't he fucking bail. He must be adequately solvent by now, what's his fucking excuse.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    QPR
    Doubt we'd have a concept of non-lethal playthroughs in most games today were it not for the Mk22.
    Erm. I think Mgs 1 could be played non lethally for the most part? Also dx, thief got there as well.

Also kojima said he gets to mess around more when he says it's a metal gear game. Maybe he really wanted kief in a game.
  • The stories are straight bullshit but MGS elevated cinematic gaming. MGS2 is quite a clever reframing and meta retelling of MGS1. MGS3 moves away from corridors, into a forest that contains the finest boss battle I've ever seen (The End). MGS4 is an OK game that tries to wrap everything up. Peace Walker finally gave me the chance to grind metal gear sections and didn't just dissolve into a boss rush. Ground Zeroes is the finest open area stealth I have ever played.

The biggest thing about all these games for me is that they are excellent playgrounds once you've mastered the systems and aren't just trying to stay alive and unseen. Phantom Pain seems to have embraced this fully.
  • Seems so. But I'm still not having it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    And fannybomb. Never forget the fannybomb.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Erm. I think Mgs 1 could be played non lethally for the most part? Also dx, thief got there as well. Also kojima said he gets to mess around more when he says it's a metal gear game. Maybe he really wanted kief in a game.

But a gun, from the get-go that puts people to sleep. It was great stuff. You don't even kill the first boss.

@Brooks maybe he just thought it was the only way to communicate his frustration? Most of the trailers building up to the original release had "No Room for Hideo?" as a constant message. And the first footage trailer was a jab on the rise of FPS games.

• Yeah sure but that just makes his continued involvement even more baffling. I have to suppose he has titanic quantities of personal debt that need seeing off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!