Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Has anyone tried the buddyapp on their phone/tablet?

Can't find a shop selling this for less than 25 and one of them was pre-owned.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • shopto man.

the app is pretty awesome, every feature of the map screen is replicated, you can use it to listen to tapes call in choppers etc. plus it shows soldiers you tag on it.
  • Smang wrote:
    I have no idea whats in the xbox exclusive mission, but if it's not as good as De Ja Vu I think fans are missing out.

Jamais Vu, best mission on the disc bar ground zeroes.

The base is taken over by body snatchers and Raiden complete with Rising character model and lightning run animation, is sent in to kill the snatchers and incapacitate the remaining marines. Ends with a good little battle and you gotta take down a chopper, was good fun. Real quality mission to plan out getting an S rank.
  • awesome, i'd like for it to come to both but i feel the ps4 one is very sony themed, probably won't happen. at least everyone gets evac the agent!
  • Smang wrote:
    awesome, i'd like for it to come to both but i feel the ps4 one is very sony themed, probably won't happen. at least everyone gets evac the agent!

Yeah its bit of a loss, I'm not sure whether they may try sell them as DLC at some point, maybe they're only exclusive for 6 months or something? Its a shame you can't experience them both.

My favourite aside from Ground Zeroes and Jamais Vu had to be the one where you have to destroy the anti air emplacements. Rescuing all the prisoners and taking on the tank at the end was good fun.
  • The PS exclusive mission references the PS1 and sony a few times, not sure what that means. 

i've had lots of fun in most of them! seem to be many ways to do them, granted, usually only one 'S' rank way.

i really like how having the whole base open means each mission builds into a crescendo as you mark most of the guards, then near the end how it balances as you try to get out un-noticed. some of the most fun i've had is getting noticed seen the end, then calling in a chopper on the other side of the map and making a dash for an exit in a jeep with a passenger with alarms blaring. it's amazing how it can all come together, its just as fun getting out without a single alert.
  • Smang wrote:
    The PS exclusive mission references the PS1 and sony a few times, not sure what that means. 

i've had lots of fun in most of them! seem to be many ways to do them, granted, usually only one 'S' rank way.

i really like how having the whole base open means each mission builds into a crescendo as you mark most of the guards, then near the end how it balances as you try to get out un-noticed. some of the most fun i've had is getting noticed seen the end, then calling in a chopper on the other side of the map and making a dash for an exit in a jeep with a passenger with alarms blaring. it's amazing how it can all come together, its just as fun getting out without a single alert.

Couldn't put it all better myself, I'll admit that I'm not sure it would of been worth the £30 to keep it, it only really cost me £8 as I sold it when I'd S ranked them all, but the gameplay within the small environment was fantastic and I look forward to there being a real game to use those mechanics within.

The most fun I had was in planning meticulously the S rank runs and having them like some perfect high score run, the anger of messing it up missing a headshot or mistiming a run between guards etc but the just one more go mentality as a perfect run might only take 13 minutes. That was aces fun.
  • I can't get on with the extra missions, myself. They feel like arcade VR missions, added in to justify the price. I loved the main story mission, everything about it reminded me of the best MGS memories I have, but these extra missions do absolutely nothing for me.
  • i can understand. for me, i've always loved the VR missions and i'm getting a lot of fun experimenting with what the game lets you do, and these scenarios provide the perfect sandboxes to play in. i'd be interested to know what undocumented moves people have found. 

so far, i've found you can QCQ someone from behind a wall or corner, Snake will jump out and pull them over. Also the consecutive CQQ from peace walker is in, found this accidentally when i walked into 4 guards, sort of mashed R2 and Snake took them down one by one, left standing amongst 4 unconscious soldiers.  also tapping R2 twice then holding L2 will make Snake do 2 hits and then steal and point their gun at them. trying out some of the new guns as well... that shotgun omg.

vehicles add a new dynamic too. My only concern (for myself) is the lack of interiors.
  • Chief wrote:
    I can't get on with the extra missions, myself. They feel like arcade VR missions, added in to justify the price. I loved the main story mission, everything about it reminded me of the best MGS memories I have, but these extra missions do absolutely nothing for me.

That's what I mean about value. Ground Zeroes is a great mission, the others were without the drama and crazyness of MGS. That's what I meant about enjoying them through S runs. Aside from that unfortunately they just feel a little empty and soulless.

If you're done with it I'd certainly get rid of it asap as I see the price of these crashing down to very little very soon.
  • I can't remember the button presses but using CQC you can take enemies weapons and hold them up which is cool. You can also knock enemies unconscious throwing empty ammo mags at them but only in reflex mode.
  • Gameseek are still selling this for sub £20
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Verecocha wrote:
    the others were without the drama and crazyness of MGS.

did you not play Evac the agent?!!?!

but i do agree to some extent, this needed a boss battle. this is why open world concerns me, the structure of the game could end up resembling one of the portable titles.
  • I didn't enjoy the "side missions" at all, the day time missions also looked like complete dog shit (I had the ps4 version) there was pop in and awful textures all over the place (the night time mission looked fantastic though).
    GT: Tr3D   PSN ID: TR3Dx
  • Maybe Kojima doesn't like boss battles? Peace Walker had really shit ones. FIGHT A TANK!
  • i thought the gfx were ok for the day missions... also on ps4. complete dog shit is a bit much surely. the nighttime stage does really show off the amazing lighting. isn't one of them set at dusk at least? would have liked to see rain during the day for one mission as well.

every metal gear game bar peace walker has had pretty good boss battles, is a series staple surely.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Gameseek are still selling this for sub £20

£3 postage.

Go through Quidco for £2 off (+3% cb)
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I went tesco's and it wasn't there- pretty sure the summation of purchases made it the cheapest.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I WANNA BELIEVE

Nah I'm indifferent really. Though the fervor behind the theories is entertaining.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just doing my playthrough. The lens flare is so overdone in places it should be a parody.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why is the attack on Mother Base not playable? Fucking hell Koj. GAMEPLAY.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kiefer doesn't give a bad performance, but it just isn't the same character without Hayter. Here's hoping the Decoy Octopus theory is true, or Hayter is playing a young Solid.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Arguably spoils.

edit: not to say it's they're the first of their kind round these parts.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's not much in GZ that's spoils as most of it has been in the trailers.
  • I doubt even Kojima knows what's going on, the mad bastard.
  • Going back to Kiefer, I'm not sure it's fair to judge his performance yet as he doesn't actually say an awful lot during Ground Zeroes. Most of the story is told via the other characters.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fair play. His delivery in the opening is a bit off with me though.

Disappointed you can't pat down guards anymore. Though disarming is cool in a pointless way.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    "spit it out"
    Just sounds a bit off.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • So spent about a week with it now and I'm here with the definite verdict.

Freaking love it. Finally, a Metal Gear that plays like I've always imagined in my head. Not even a little buyers remorse paying for a "demo" - already played it dozens of times. 

Low point for me was the gratuitous ending, which was off the scale offensive. Having said that, it has set things up well for an epic revenge saga and I reckon the game proper could be a genuine great.

And as it's essentially a Jack Bauer simulator, Kiefer's doing a fine job as far as I'm concerned.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I will never understand the affection for Hayter, or indeed anything to do with MGS scripts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!