Three Good Things
‹ Previous123456720
  • This may well just die a death, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me the world feels pretty shitty right now. Now, in my case, to some degree that's always been the case. For a bunch of reasons I have developed over the years a keen ability to spot potential dangers and Bad Stuff and highlight them in my brain to a possibly disproportionate degree. This alertness to misery begets, well, more alertness to misery.

The net result of which is that I often fail to notice the good things in my life.

One exercise often used by counsellors, psychologists and the like with people like me is to encourage them to try and actively identify things for which they are grateful in their day.  There's lots of evidence that doing this makes you more and more able to identify things that are going well in your life, and, well, make you a bit happier.

So I thought I'd try, and I thought I'd see if I could drag some of you along into it as well.

So the aim of this thread is simple.  Every day you need to identify 3 good things that have happened, that you might feel grateful for.

I'll stress these don't need to be huge, at all. It can be, "the dog wagged his tail at me" or "I noticed the light looked good in the trees" or even "I somehow managed to get out of bed this morning". It doesn't matter, it just needs to be something that, in retrospect, you're grateful for, or which brought you even the tiniest sliver of happiness.

This thread isn't about smugly showing how great our lives are, it's just a record that things may not suck quite as massively as we sometimes imagine.

So, that's it.  Three good things every day. (If it ends up being just me, I'll probably quietly go away and do it on my own...)

I'll start...

1) I've had the day off, so I took the dog for an epic walk.  It was cold, but just the right kind of cold - you could feel the air in your lungs, and it made me feel alive.
    2). I finished reading Paul Rainey's "Why Don't You Love Me?" (see the comics thread) which, ironically, I loved. It ends perfectly.
    3). This.  I don't get to visit the B&B as much as I'd like these days.  (It's blocked at work for starters, and, well, life is frantic). So it's nice to have found time to pop in, and add something for a change.
  • This is brilliant.  So true that we see mostly the bad.  Had this conversation with my boy recentrly - we remember the bad, the worst, but forget the good and happy.

Today so far?

1) I'm feeling a little better, a bit more relief of the headache and stuff.
    2) Related to the above, my mum seems a little ok today.  She lives with us so her wellbeing impacts us.  A lot.  I get stressed, worried, miserable and sometimes it's hard to cope.  Also not nice seeing your elderly parent struggling.
    3) ... I just had my third Krispy Kreme doughnut.  Erm.  In 3 days, dammit, not just today! :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1) work bought me a nice coffee
    2) I'm playing golf on Friday
    3) I got the room I work in a little tidier
  • Nice idea Tin.
    I'll partake, i think these things are good for the soul. Both writing and reading the posts of others.

1) I got a free bottle of kefir with my weekly food delivery.
    2) Despite being freezing out its also sunny, Ive managed to get some clothes washed and on the line. No mean feat in January.
    3) I was struggling with a design at work last week but it has all clicked into place today. Needed the weekend away from it I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (I'm ignoring the fact it will be -3 when I tee off...)
  • 1. As soon as I see the puppy that screams I AM THE ONE at me (with his face) I have permission to go go go. I've also been granted naming rights.

2. I won £175 on the premium bonds this month.

3. Tilly has become slightly less obsessed with a South Korean group called Stray Kids.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like this, and yes, definitely needed...

1) Bloody loving Persona 4 at the moment, I'm into the flow of the game massively, so much so that I play every opportunity I get. Haven't wanted to play a game this much in a long time.

2) New offices are bloody great. Nice relaxed atmosphere, very open, but small quiet rooms if you want it, perfect combo.

3) Joined a gym that even in January is not that busy and I get to go on everything I want.
  • Persona 4 is an all timer. Probably in my top 5-10. Ish.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is my third attempt. Still got it on Vita, played up until Kanji, then stopped, did the same on PC and finally now I'm way past that point by comboing Steam Deck and PC.

Think I'm going to go for the P3 remake after FFVII Rebirth.
  • 1.)  I haven't had a drink for 33 days.
    2.) My medication was finally back in stock this weekend, and I can feel the anxiety dropping already.
    3.) Finally got some dates for a DIY guy to come around and my Son's new bed to be delivered.

They are boring things, but good things.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice one on number 1!
  • - Bought some new shoes
    - Played with the cat
    - Dozed off to an ancient lecture about the history of people trying to document Atlantis
  • 1) I'm loved by everyone
    2) I love my job
    3) My daughter is the best daughter on the planet

i like this greatful thing!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • As much as this kind of thing generally instantly sickens me with it's cloying sentimentality, that's probably a sign that I need to do something like this and change my perspective.

1) Baldurs Gate 3 continues to amaze me with how brilliantly made it is.
    2) I haven't had any alcohol for 15 days, the longest time I've gone without a drink for literally as long as I can remember. Even better, I don't feel like I want one either.
    3) I just had a really tasty apple. Isn't fruit amazing?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got to pick my boy up from school. I'm usually working but today I had time. 

I made a start on getting back on a diet and I feel good about myself.

My boy again. There was really heavy fog this morning and Rían had never seen fog in his life. He was buzzing with excitement about this new weather thing, and his excitement was contagious.
  • Lovely idea.  My first 3 are going to be a bit morbid, apologies (see thread of the dead).

My adoptive mother passed away this morning but I am grateful that:

1)  She was in no pain
    2)  She looked beautiful when finally at rest
    3)  She went out entirely on her terms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pseudoscot wrote:
    Lovely idea.  My first 3 are going to be a bit morbid, apologies (see thread of the dead).

My adoptive mother passed away this morning but I am grateful that:

1)  She was in no pain
    2)  She looked beautiful when finally at rest
    3)  She went out entirely on her terms

I hope you understand the sentiment behind this, but that was lovely to read.
    When I go I can only hope for that. Suspect I absolutely won't get 2 though...

Anyway, I need to do this after a really bad spell, so here we go.

1. Although he is hitting me regularly, my heart melts every night when C says "I love you too" back to me at night time.

2. This year has the promise of being very exciting in a number of ways, not least fucking off this island for a bit for the first 5 years.

3. I've had a real difficult spell at work with a really tricky case, But my line manager said to me - with the caveat of being absolutely genuine -on Friday if they could have anyone taking care of their own child, it would be me. Sometimes in this job you focus on the shit, and it was nice to remember and to think "I'm quite good at this"
  • 1. Managed to sleep through last night
    2. Finished two written reviews
    3. Playing an RPG tonight with my friends
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I got an interview for a job I'm really excited about

I got to spend the day hanging out with my youngest son, just us. Was so much fun just being silly.

I made some delicious pretzels and everyone enjoyed them
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 1. I'm two weeks sober.

2. I have an adorable wife.

3. I have an adorable dog.

IMG-20231220-WA0000.jpg
  • Awwwwww doggo!!!
    Good stuff Chalice :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This morning I will start with :

1- my youngest son woke me up with the most adorable smile and cuddles.
    2- i got to drink a whole cup of coffee in one sitting.
    3- my wife is in the office today, my kids are in school and my youngest is in nursery today. So I get to work from a silent, empty home. Lovely!
  • Mate sure to have a good solid wank Wook.
  • Wook's wondrous workday wank.  Shame it's not Wednesday.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Please don't tell us about it
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1) remembered I had a free movie rental voucher, and started watching Searching, which had a top-tier intro section (hit me in the emotes) and seems a really interesting way of doing a movie
    2) having bought four muffins yesterday, got four more in the sainsbury delivery today, so now forced to over-eat on muffins
    3) the sunrise was quite something this morning
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    1) I woke up this morning
    2) The pool was closed but I still did some exercise (instead of using it as an excuse to be lazy).
    3) I only had 4 new work emails when I fired up the laptop.
‹ Previous123456720

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!