Three Good Things
  • I like the first one there.  My Uncle is a "mind coach" who always says he's grateful to wake up each morning.  I've always loved the sentiment, though I can occasionally struggle with it myself.

1.) 34 days sober.  
    2.) I got a seat on the train this morning.
    3.) While it's still too early to be 100% confident, my job is looking a little safer by the day.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • 1) I'm loved by everyone
    2) I love my job
    3) My daughter is the best daughter on the planet
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Today

1) Even though it was -2 this morning I didn’t have to scrape the car. Result!

2) Got the full rack and Olympic deck at the gym this morning.

3) Made boiled eggs last night, just ate them and they were the perfect cold hard, but not too hard, boiled egg.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1. Fred running about in the snow.

2. A reminder of how benign my employer is.

3. Wifey and daughters.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 1) Getting very close to finishing the house build. Should be in by the end of March.
    2) Bought kneecap's huge telly for said house.
    3) I have the day off on Tekken 8 launch day. Six hours uninterrupted while the kids are in school.
  • 1) It's fucking freezing cold today
    2) I only have £100 left in my bank account and payday is still 9 days away
    3) Some urgent crap shit just landed at work, part of which my boss messed up and it's fucking shite

Oh, wait.  Doing it wrong.  I'll come back later today with hopefully some good things for today.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
    1. The dog going nuts for snow. Never gets old.
    2. warm cosy feet. Underfloor heating is magical on cold days.
    3. Biscuits. Biscuits are ace, aren’t they? Bite-sized pieces of pure joy.
  • 1. I might be legitimately able to WFH one day a week from next week.
    2. They're started giving out free snacks in the office, and as no-one is ever in I always get to choose either Prawn Cocktail Walkers or (the underrated) Pom-Bears.
    3. When they make me redundant (possibly March, boo) I should get a nice pay-off (yay) and I might buy a caravan (WOOO).
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    1) It's fucking freezing cold today

But the sun is shining!*

hylian_elf wrote:

That's more than a tenner a day!  You can have chocolate and a beer!

hylian_elf wrote:
    3) Some urgent crap shit just landed at work, part of which my boss messed up and it's fucking shite ... 

You can only get praised for fixing it, and none of the blame for the mess!

*may depend on location
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

An infinitely better place than having £-1 in your bank account.
  • Aye, better than most! :)  Not an issue, I'll just grab some money from the wife.

Continuing to be negative, my cough is back/worse today. :(

I'm still going to come up with 3 happy things later! :)
  • 1. Chicken Wings for tea and Ive got a really good pineapple on the go, nice and sweet.

2. Had a really difficult yoga routine last night but improved on the last time I did it. Im now doing warrior 3 properly with hands at my chest.

3. Option of two films for tonight. Swiss Army Man or There Will be Blood.
  • Adding a 4th because I forgot to post it: when I got home from work yesterday I went down to the garden to see if Tilly's missing jacket was in the summerhouse (it wasn't) and saw a blue spikey ball that I hadn't seen for years in the middle of my (fake) lawn. I presume a neighbour had chucked it back over recently. I gave it a quick boot to the back fence and was reminded that it squeaked. Later in the day my wife asked if I'd heard the unidentified squeaking the night before, which apparently went on for ages (hours) from about 11pm and was accompanied by a load of fox noises. I was well tucked up in bed by that point on Sunday so hadn't heard it, but we put two and two together and realised foxes/fox cubs had been having a prolonged blast in the middle of the night with Bramble's old squeaky ball.
  • I see posters about three good things everywhere in work. Currently in a "omg I'm skint and back to work tomorrow" spiral so seems a good time to try it. So far:

1. I got to wake up and put the heating on for a bit while I had my morning coffee. Never not thankful for that.
    2. Managed to fix a nasty clog in the hoover which now had it running smooth as silk and gave the place a "proper" hoover as a result. Satisfying.
    3. My mum gave me last week two tins of M&S Scottish Shortbread and I've been wiring into them. I dunno if it's as prevalent in your house but they're a staple in my mums so when I have one and it tastes so good, so much better than the usual, I think of her and her kindness and smile. Gets me through this horrible month.

A week to go til payday. I'll be revisiting here I think.
  • Treat yourself to some whisky to go with no.3.
  • I’ve definitely been in a funk over the last few days, particularly since return to work last week. I actually love what I do, and the people I work with, but there’s so much to do and I promised myself when I took this job that I wouldn’t let it consume me like my previous roles. Consequently, when I step back a little or distract myself with a fix, I feel guilty in a way I shouldn’t really.

Tied into this is the news around side hustles and the potential liability I could face. I’ve been making money from repairs, but not keeping account of every item or part, so it’s been a concern. The threat of going through a self-assessment and paying 40% was enough for me to pack it all in, and it’s something I enjoy doing.

Anyway, that’s the context out of the way…

1. I do love what I do. I’ve suffered from depression in other roles and, despite the challenges of running a small business, I’m nowhere near there again. It’s just January blues and I’m certain it will pass. I am grateful for the position I’m in.

2. I’ve had my sales/expenditure data from eBay and I think my liability is low. I may get a letter from HMRC, but through the items, parts, equipment, postage, fees, etc., I don’t think I’m facing a huge risk if my name does come up. That’s a weight off the shoulders.

3. My family is happy and healthy. That’s perhaps the most important thing. Everything else I’ve mentioned is ultimately about money and it’s so easy to forget how something ‘free’ like health doesn’t have a value - it’s beyond that.

Anyway, lovely thread. Thanks for the opportunity for self-therapy.
  • OK it's past 5pm.  Gonna scrape the barrel here, but:

1) Platinum on Esp Ra De last night after I went back for the final trophy
    2) Another Krispy Kreme.  One last one tomorrow and the box is empty
    3) Kids have been asking me if I'm ok which was nice
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You've 1CCed Esp Ra De?

I've only tinkered with it - it's a tough bast.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Are you okay?
  • Is number 3 because of number 2?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are you okay?

January is a fucking dire month. Hard to think of positives myself.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I’ve definitely been in a funk over the last few days

sorry my dude
  • davyK wrote:
    You've 1CCed Esp Ra De? I've only tinkered with it - it's a tough bast.

Not properly, no, noyt on Arcade!  The trophies are easy, like all/most M2 releases.  Platinum on Battle Garegga and Ketsui too!
    Are you okay?

Yeah, fine thanks.  Just.... so normal.  Nothing super exciting.  I find I have to really think about what might have made me smile today or something.  Maybe that's me, super boring and cynic and grumpy in general etc.

Wait, this can be one of them now!  You asking me if I'm OK.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Is number 3 because of number 2?

... you might be onto something there.  If I eat the last one tomorrow, I may not be ok at all!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember a couple of consultants we worked with one time. Quite a while ago now. They had a fair number of years on them. Self employed. One of them just fucked off each January to the sun - wrote the month off every year.

Not a bad idea if you can do it.
  • 1- I have pointless meetings scheduled on tomorrow so I don't have to do a huge amount of work.

2 - I got a pack of Mr Kipling Christmas Cakes for 80p.

3- got my job interview booked and there's only ONE other candidate. So yay for me!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Elf, I've just bought Sonic Superstars on PS5. You're welcome to blast through it first if you need quick a blue blur pick-me-up.
  • Aw thanks for offering, I have plenty to play at the moment.  Gonna start Jusant tonight.  Also...

Wife is making me a curry tonight.  HAPPINESS!!!
  • It might cheer you up more to know that Muzzy was bitterly disappointed when he found out that Sonic has landed instead of Prince of Persia.
  • 1) I started playing Magic: The Gathering with a uni friend each month. We get together with a buddy of his from work, who has a kid the same age as my youngest, and it's been highly enjoyable escapism. The WhatsApp group has been wonderful for my mental health.

2) My daughter, who turned 4, is really into jigsaw puzzles and is absolutely buzzing when she solves one. She has also stopped twatting me in the face when she gets upset.

3) Every day, when I get home, my two daughters run up to me and I get huge cuddles and smiles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!