Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I set a resolution to listen to more music this year and not just individual tracks or playlists, full-blown albums.

Without a way of logging it, I thought I’d do it on here and open it up to others too given the popularity of the other ‘logging’ threads (even though I know music isn’t a huge driving force here).

The main rules are that it has to be something you haven’t heard in its entirety before. No genre and year limits apply. Happy to accept suggestions even if you don’t want to take part.

My first target is 100.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Spotify Playlist - 2024 Listening Post Recommendations -https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2gi0Eu0G3sNfnkuAaDcTJb?si=uoG22FNISv-6szyBaIDrEw&pi=e-IJvle9NFQZaL

1 - Lana del Rey - Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd (2023) - 1/1/24
    2 - Karma Kid - Break Away From What You Know (2023) - 2/1/24
    3 - JPEGMAFIA/Danny Brown - Scaring The Hoes (2023) - 7/1/24
    4 - Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill  (1972) - 8/1/24
    5 - Trevor Horn - Echoes - Ancient & Modern (2023) - 13/1/24
    6 - Marika Hackman - Big Sigh (2024) - 14/1/24
    7 - Nailah Hunter - Lovegaze (2024) - 14/1/24
    8 - Justice - Woman (2016) - 18/1/24
    9 - Bill Ryder-Jones - Iechyd Da (2024) - 18/1/24
    10 - Billy Joel - The Tourist (1977) - 22/1/24
    11 - Green Day - Saviors (2024) - 23/1/24
    12 - The Shangri-Las - Leader of the Pack (1965) - 24/1/24
    13 - Renee Rapp - Everything to Everyone (EP) (2023) - 25/1/24
    14 - OMD - Bauhaus Staircase (2023) - 1/2/24
    15 - Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day (2023) - 7/2/24
    16 - Future Islands - People Who Aren’t There Anymore (2024) - 12/2/24
    17 - Weezer - Pinkerton (1996) - 15/2/24
    18 - The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstacy (2024) - Feb ‘24
    19 - DJ Shadow - Action Adventure (2023) - Jan ‘24
    20 - Jalen Ngonda - Come Around and Love Me (2023) - 15/2/24
    21 - G FLIP - Drummer (2023) - 19/2/24
    22 - IDKHOW - Gloom Division (2024) - 27/2/24
    23 - L Devine - Digital Heartifacts (2024) - 29/2/24
    24 - The Smile - Wall of Eyes (2024) - 3/3/24
    25 - Etta Marcus - The Death of Summer & Other Promises (2024) - 3/3/24
    26 - Ash - Race The Night (2023) - 4/3/24
    27 - Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas (1990) - 6/3/24
    28 - J Mascis - What Do We Do Now? (2024) - 10/3/24
    29 - Nils Hoffmann - Running In A Dream (2024) - 18/3/24
    30 - Glass Beach - Plastic Death (2024) - 20/3/24
    31 - Omni - Souvenir (2024) - 24/3/24
    32 - Allie X - Girl With No Face (2024) - 25/3/24
    33 - Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue (1977) - 26/3/24
    34 - FIZZ - The Secret to Life (2023) - 28/3/24
    35 - MGMT - Loss of Life (2024) - 14/4/24
    36 - Ariana Grande - Eternal Sunshine (2024) - 14/4/24
    37 - Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma (2010) - 14/4/24
    38 - Maggie Rogers - Don’t Forget Me (2024) - 15/4/24
    39 - Air - Moon Safari Rarities (2024) - 22/4/24
    40 - Molly Lewis - On The Lips (2024) - 22/4/24
  • I'll give it a go.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Starting with an album I wanted to listen last year. The latest Lana Del Rey. I tend to flitter on and off with her, but I loved ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell’ so hope it can hit those heights.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m terrible for just listening to tracks recommended from Apple Music based on what I currently listen to which means I rarely listen to albums anymore. That being said after listening to Raye on the Hootenanny I’ve downloaded her album and will be listening to that this week on my drive to and from work.
  • I would like to try this but then I venture away from Radio 2 and hear what passes as new music nowadays and then crawl back under my duvet and listen to my old favourites
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Spotify's Release Radar playlist is a good way of finding new stuff that aligns with your tastes.
  • Oooh, I'm gonna do this. I'm all about full albums and listen to new (to me) stuff as much as I can.

Cases in point:
    1/1/23
    1. Durand Jones - Wait til I get over 2023. 
    2. Durand Jones & the Indications - American Love call 2019.

Wait till I get over is fucking awesome. I'd done some of the DJ and the Indications albums previously, but wait till I get over is a big step up. The Indications stuff is all just solid Dap Kings/Ronson retro soul. Durand has a great voice, but none of their stuff, including American Love call (which I gave first go yesterday) really separates itself. Wouldn't turn it off, would put it in a mix with all the usual players of the genre and be happy, wouldn't actively choose it over Winehouse or some others. 

Wait til I get over though, it immediately steps up. First track is a belter, and it just continues to be quality throughout.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It plays it fairly safe sadly and gives out what you put in, if that makes sense.

It’s algorithms are sadly not as good as they wish there were.

Edit: @liv
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Spotify threw a track from I Don't Know How But They Found Me at me over dinner, and I really liked It. I've gone and listened to their only album so far Razzmatazz, and so far it's a great little indie pop fusion thing. They're from SLC too so that tickles a part of my brain. Apparently a new album in Feb too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Salt Lake City, where I went to High School.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Reserving a spot for my list.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Can't slag off Release Radar too much when it's just given me this bit of Australian Political satiretronica

https://open.spotify.com/track/7k6EoUVjwEGgkDzdFYEs2G?si=JmfLxzMoT-aPX5_POQ9Pqg&context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3A37i9dQZEVXbwHin7VykhLz

Sorry not really on topic
  • I'm in.  I won't keep track of it in a list unfortunately, got enough on my plate with that elsewhere, but will try to post after listening.

104. The Other Side - T Bone Burnett (2024)

T-Bone-Burnett.jpg

I held off reviewing this for a few days because I had the impression that it might be very special indeed, and after multiple listens I'm happy to confirm my suspicions were correct - it's is an outstanding album.    

For those who don't know T Bone, you probably do - he's produced dozens of albums for other artists and was responsible for curating the soundtracks for O Brother, Where Art Thou? and the first season of True Detective (we don't talk about S2, even though the music was good), both of which would surely be up consideration in am self respecting 'best soundtrack' conversation.  True Detective S1 in particular has an astonishingly good set of tunes running through the whole thing.  He was Dylan's guitarist for a while and also releases albums of his own, although not for quite a few years.  

This is a loose concept album about a couple who have passed over, with an otherworldly Lynchian/Orbisonian(tm) Americana vibe to proceedings.  There's not a bad track on it and there are genuinely half a dozen tracks that might be the individual highlight of most remotely similar albums.  I can't get enough of it and I think it might be his masterpiece.  Step aside Adrianna Lenker, this is my new AOTY.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Lana gets [3]. Some really high moments but ultimately a good 20 minutes too long. Seemingly a lot more gospel influence on this one compared to ‘Norman’.

For Your Consideration: Kintsugi
  • 1) Mckenna Grace -Bittersweet 16 (2023) - 01/01/24

Mckenna-Grace.jpg

This is the most manufactured of manufactured pop - child actress gives music a bash - but she's actually really, really good. I'd be interested to see if she picks one or the other like most do, or keeps going with both. I hope it's both.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I might try this. Mayber.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1. I Dont Know How But They Found Me - Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz_cover.jpeg

Firstly, there is no apostrophe nor comma in the band's name allegedly, so stop yr hating on my typing. Apparently cook kids call them iDKHOW. Anyway, this is bright, breezy electro glam rock. If you think along the lines of The Killers' Hot Fuss, you're not a million miles off it, including a wee arch piano one. It doesn't outstay its welcome, and there's probably 3 on there I'll listen to again. I'll absolutely check out their upcoming album in Feb. A big solid [7] to start the year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2. 100 Gecs - 10000 Gecs

MjMtMjQyMy5qcGVn.jpeg

Bwaaaa what is this album, it's absolute insanity. Opening with a sample for the ages, hitting hard with guitars, then a song about a frog, it feels actually like a modern day Beastie Boys being drunk, dumb and having fun. It's spectacular and I know it's also going to get hate from others on here. It reminds me of the dumb shit I did back in the day and also the tempy / reg combo of the teens. It's really fun and I love it. Great shit. [9] (the frog song is safe for children, let them enjoy it)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    … after listening to Raye on the Hootenanny I’ve downloaded her album and will be listening to that this week on my drive to and from work.

The album (21st Century Blues) is a cracker, but there’s also her live version from the Royal Albert Hall (21st Century Symphony) and I reckon the orchestral backing wins for me. I’d take the live version over the original.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Pop, will have a listen.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I listened to Stay Awhile by Paula Toledo and nearly failed to stay awake
  • 1. Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork (1971)

Bobbiepatchwork.jpg

The only Gentry album I hadn't heard in full.  I didn't spot any huge stand outs, which is unusual for her (as even some of her covers on other records are exceptional), but it did come across as a cohesive album so I'll probably listen again before moving on to anything else.  I'm rubbish at sticking a score on things after one go.  It definitely felt like a strong effort though.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    2. Karma Kid - Break Away From What You Know (2023)

Electronic wizardry from Matlock’s prodigy Sam Knowles. Another one from my last year’s list after his breakthrough track ‘The Gates Will Open’ made the (in)famous EA FC 24 Playlist. Nice to see some variety from the aforementioned track.

For Your Consideration: See The Light
  • 2) Itzy - Ringo (2023) - 03/01/24

ITZY_Ringo_Limited_Edition_A_album_cover.png

Japanese language record from a Kpop band. Mostly anyway, there is sprinkling of English in there. I struggle with non English language music, on some tracks there is enough English to carry me though, on others I get lost. There's a mix of styles, some very Europop ones, one that felt very Pussycat Dolls, and another that seemed like a Japanese Spice Girls song. Not sadly the one called Spice.

Also sadly, the album isn't named after everyone's favourite Beatle, apparently it's Japanese for apple, hence the cover.
  • Victor by Vic mensa.

The Autobiography continues to be the only one of his worth listening to. This is better than the rest of his others though. Not enough for me to finish listening to it though. meh.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Confession time: I have a terrible memory for certain things.  I don't think I've listened to this before, because I don't think I knew it existed (up to the point where I spotted it on Tidal I thought they'd only released one album).  Having said that, there's still a chance neither of those things are true.  

2. The Perceptionists - Resolution (2017)

ab67616d0000b273e6723bb764c81c51c317f47d

It's good.  Not as good as Black Dialogue (which I loved in 2005), possibly due to the fact that DJ Fakts One isn't involved here, but there aren't any all the way duff tracks.  Akrobatik's flow is particularly nice when he builds up a head of steam and there's plenty of decent wordplay from both (especially Lif, who likes to chuck Aesop Rock level outskirts-of-pop-culture references in), plus nods to their Bboy heroes.  High highs and mid lows - would listen again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is an easy one for me, I missed Deaf heaven's New Bermuda when it dropped in 2015, so finally listened to it. If you know what Deafheaven are, you'll know if it is for you or not, but it's more of that melodic absolute noise with lyrics that lift you up despite the delivery.

Deafheaven_-_New_Bermuda.jpg

[10]
  • 3. Paisley Dreams - The Game Feat. Big Hit (2024)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr3uBwnmto-7Rs7N3uWyKxALEX5OtcTYm11saiQz5VEvK78L89Ka9eXkx0iKPzGFVK5ts&usqp=CAU

Stealth dropped short album supposedly taken from one impromptu studio session.  As expected, The Game isn't dreaming about Brad and his sweet country rock guitar licks; it's just standard slow-flow gangsta rap 20 years too late.  That's kinda the deal with the vast majority of his stuff, but tbh I still dip in now and then because I can't help liking the way his (often lazy, always outdated) shtick sounds.  Wouldn't want to invite him round for tea or ask his opinion on anything mind, and this isn't even a good example of what he does.  A 2/5 album from a 3/5 artist.
‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!