2024 Listening Booth
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    27. Sleater-Kinney - Little Hope (2024)

pre-order-sleater-kinney-little-rope-signed-blue-vinyl-v0-gfF_ZYJX-AtCHG3FKGEmC7svgcHtukjfXu0If2J3rbw.jpg?auto=webp&s=2f675f6d69c41f67695b22dd727788559792ed2a

The best thing about S-K is that their albums are invariably somewhere between solid and great to me, and this is no exception - I don't think they're capable of putting out a duff record.  They've never been absolute favourites of mine but I always make time to listen to their stuff.  They're a bit tidier than they used to be but this still sounds great.  Very good.

Must listen: Hell

I gave the Sleater-Kinney album a listen yesterday. (It’s Little Rope, not ‘Hope’ by the way.)

It didn’t really hit home for me, but it’s still a decent listen. Pleasant enough, and recognisably S-K enough, but I don’t think there are any bangers on there to trouble a greatest hits playlist.

There’s something wilfully discordant about it. Which sounds daft, discord is always a big part of what makes Sleater-Kinney themselves … but it’s really pushed to the fore on this album. Deliberately off-key guitars right at the front of the mix. It kinda feels forced, and I think it’s what was putting me off.
  • No wonder I had trouble finding a proper image.  Fixed.

100. Bobby Bare - Lullabys, Legends And Lies (1973)

MTItOTY3MS5qcGVn.jpeg

I've hit the big 100 so I'm gonna drop lots of vids and links in for folks to feel free to ignore. 

This is two hours of Bobby Bare exclusively singing songs written by Shel Silverstein.  Who singing what now?  Glad you asked, because I was getting to that anyway: Bare is a country music stalwart known as a great interpreter of top tier songs rather than a top songwriter himself, and Silverstein was a singer/songwriter and poet whose most famous songs were made famous by other people.  Cases in point:

I'm partial to songs that sound like poetry, but I must admit I've never been a huge fan of traditional on-the-page efforts.  However, I do own one book of poems - all written by Silverstein.  They're great for big kids and little adults, and I used to read them to Tilly at bedtime.

This was our favourite:

3d5ec29c59fc8f16b3b1b3d62367a2b7.jpg

And another, because it's that kind of post:

As a songwriter he goes in the master craftsman category for me.  Granted his songs often err on the humorous side, but when they don't they're still magic.   Roger Miller meets Jake Thackray with a touch of Spike Milligan via Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes might not be a terrible description of his cheeky lighter style.  There's also a deeper simplicity I'd liken to John Prine - he can hit the heartstrings with lines that might sound mawkish in isolation.

Two examples of Shel being awesome:

So what about the album I'm supposed to be reviewing?  It's mostly Bare performing to an enraptured audience.  There's a whiff of hand-picked fanatics about the whoops/hollers, guffaws & singalongs, so I assume this wasn't your usual Friday night ragtag rabble, but for a WE'RE RECORDING AN ALBUM TONIGHT crowd they hit their marks with gusto.

If you only click on one video don't click on this because you probably won't like it.  It's my second favourite link of the post though (The Dr. Hook performance takes the no.1 spot), and the meandering slice of pie/life tale where not much happens is the sort of thing I could listen to all day.

• I think the amount of vocal effects troubled me a bit as well. They’re not a band who needs them, really. I get that it all adds up to a deliberate creative choice and says something about artifice and alienation, but it’s not getting me singing along like lots of their other albums do.

Highlight for me wasn’t Hell, I preferred Say it Like you Mean it, and also enjoyed the closer, Untidy Creature.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Billy Joel - The Stranger
    Pop Rock (1977)

billy-joel-the-stranger-Cover-Art.jpg

My ongoing exploration of 70’s music continues with an album originally released when I was six. Mum and Dad seemed more interested in Barry White/Leo Sayer when older me wished they stuck on some Joel. This is a solid album. Side A is much stronger but the big hitters are relatively spread out. An impressive 4 (out of 5) but I can see that increasing on repeated listens.

Must Listen: Scenes From An Italian Restaurant.
  • 28. Ratboys - The Window (2023)

undefined

This started playing on Tidal after I listened to Florry again this morning, so I know nothing about it/them other than the fact that I really enjoyed it.  Indie rock that kinda sounds a bit like umpteen other bands but at the same time it's chock full of genuinely good songs, ergo it's well worth a go.  I think I'll have the title track as the must listen, but I also wrote Break and Black Earth, WI down on my notes, the latter of which successfully goes a bit Built to Spill. Good stuff.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Green Day - Saviors
    Pop Punk (2024)

Green-Day-Saviors.jpg

I actually like Green Day a lot, but this is a bit Ronseal if you ask me. You know exactly what you are going to get with the band and any new release. Had a big deal not been made about them reuniting with Rob Cavallo, there’s nothing in their sound to suggest it - perhaps I’d argue the sound even sounds more watered down. Highlights for me are the punchy ‘Bobby Sox’ and the track mentioned below, added to my Post playlist.

Until the next time, lads!

Must Listen: Father To A Son
  • Heh. Father To A Son is one of the tracks I would have thrown in the bin tbh. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm a Coma City kind of guy. :)
  • Lol, I'd have lobbed Bobby Sox in the bin as well. Lyrically awful and sounded to me like he'd been smacked over the head with a shovel before recording it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Heh. Father To A Son is one of the tracks I would have thrown in the bin tbh. :D

Heh, that’s what makes us all so wonderfully different!

• Oli, can you listen to Sprints - Letter to Self?
  • Ooh I did that one after Kris posted a track. Was v.good.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Oli, can you listen to Sprints - Letter to Self?

Why?
  • Lol, I'd have lobbed Bobby Sox in the bin as well. Lyrically awful and sounded to me like he'd been smacked over the head with a shovel before recording it.
    Ma man!

• Olimite wrote:
    Oli, can you listen to Sprints - Letter to Self?

Why?

Cos I think you'd like it, and its a 2024 album.
  • 1. Oakenfold - Bunkka
    Oakenfold_-_Bunkka.jpg

For some reason Id never actually listened to this cover to cover  despite obviously knowing a good few tracks off it.
    Good, varied stuff all very much of the time but crosses a fair few genre boundaries. Would listen again.

Must Listen: Hold Your Hand
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    (Somehow) an album not on Spotify (actually quite refreshing to type that). After the recent death of Mary Weiss, I listened to the very brief ‘Leader of the Pack’. Just short of 30 mins of boy adoration, heartbreak and, erm, more adoration. I’d love to have been growing up back then - the whole rock ‘n’ roll movement must have been the invigorating!

Must Listen: Probably should be Leader but I’ve chosen the ballad, ‘Maybe’.
  • The Smile - Wall of Eyes

IMG-5365.jpg

Got an early rip of this. I think it’s better than their first album, although if that wasn’t your bag then this won’t be either. There’s some really good tracks, and some more experimental filler. I reckon between the two albums they’ve done you could knock together one really good one.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 29. Sprints - Letter to Self

ab67616d0000b273d3abdd263a314cfcb62e7b29

Forgot to review this last time so just listened again.  STRAIGHT FIRE when it all goes off - no wonder the band were so keen to copyright it.  Vocals are a perfect fit for the band, whatshername has a great big noise/small band voice.  

Good as it is I doubt I'll play it loads as I've got a suspicion it might yield diminishing returns on repeat listens (it's an agreeably straightforward album), but it's immediately legit and I bet they're amazing live. 

Must listen: Literary Mind (which I already knew from somewhere.  On here maybe, or perhaps Tidal played me an EP a while ago....unless it's a cover?)
  • 30. Blaze Foley - The Lost Muscle Shoals Recordings (recorded 1984, released 2017)

61gj1yuoZnL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

Only heard one or two of these tracks before.  It's basically 'Blaze with horns and a hot band', neither of which feels like a particularly good fit.  See the cover shot there?  That's more or less how he should sound - he's not a big noise man and his songs lose their warmth with a full band rocking away behind him.

Must listen: nothing stood out on here tbh.  Try this one instead.  Jason Aldean take notes, this is how you small town:

• 31. Willi Carlisle - Critterland (today, 2024)

Critterland_Cover.jpg

Hell fucking yes, I loved this.  I don't think I've heard of him before (this popped up in my new release recs on Tidal this morning), and thankfully there are three more albums to check out after I've typed this.  Can't sing for toffee and throws too many words at every song until most of them stick?  Sign me up.   He sounds like a bonnier Bonnie Prince Billie got batptised in the the Okkervil River and it's AotY so far for me by an eccentric down-home country mile.  Glorious from start to finish, this has everything I need.  What a find.

Edit: Rescinded the knee-jerk [10] after three listens. Definitely a belter though.

Must listen: The Great Depression and When the Pills Wear off might be the best tracks but The Money Grows on Trees is an immense spoken word/a cappella closer.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    30. Blaze Foley - The Lost Muscle Shoals Recordings (recorded 1984, released 2017)

Whats the story with this then?
  • Real but still slightly ambiguous answer:

Reissue of the first album recorded by the legendary Austin singer-songwriter who was tragically murdered in 1989. Recorded with Muscle Shoals studio musicians in 1984, the album was never distributed due to “some trouble with the law” resulting in the confiscation of most of the 500 copies originally pressed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    6. Saviors - Green Day

Green-Day-Saviors.jpg

I think I'm hotter on this album than others on here. This feels like they have actually put something interesting out for the first time in about 20 years.
    Context - Green Day I got into around about 1997, aged 12. I had a bit of a Manics style Green Day obsession until the height of American Idiot, which I probably said on the Edge forum was the greatest album of all time at one point because I'm thick.

Anyway, the drop off from this band after American Idiot was monumental, I literally ditched and dismissed everything they produced after that. The Uno, Does, Tres collection are dregs, and most other things they've released are a bit useless.

But I powered through the 15 (probably could have cut 3) tracks here really quite happily. I've already explained how much I love Bobby Sox, but I also love the big old Cheap Trick style sing along of something like Goodnight Adelaide. It's popcorn music, fast, digestible, and (and this is important) sounds like a band having actual fun.

Good work lads.

[8]
  • 32. Adrianne Lenker - Songs (2020)

Songs_%28Adrianne_Lenker%29.png

Thanks to Oli for this one, turns out I have a few to check out.  There's nothing on this as immediately wonderful as Sadness As a Gift (absolutely beautiful recent single Gillian Welch would be proud of), but it's a lovely album and her vocals have a kind of enchanting allure that I won't attempt to explain.  I'd go as far as to say she has my favourite female singing voice at the moment; the vulnerability melts me and she makes everything sound comfortingly sad in an almost nostalgic way.  Eek, I tried to explain it there.  

I really need to devote more time to Big Thief.  Some of their tracks are among my favourites of the past decade or so but I don't know any of their albums inside out.  They probably top the list of bands that I should be more into than I am - I've said it before but I reckon if they'd been part of the American indie boom of the early noughties I would've been obsessed/worn T shirts/known all the words and tried to see them live as much as possible, but my listening habits have shifted slightly in recent years.  Big up Big Thief though.
  • 33. Karen Dalton - In My Own Time (1971)

My04MDg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Found this while Googling Kris Kristofferson deep cuts the other day - someone on another forum had some great shouts for worthwhile tracks from his wilderness decades, and this record cover was their avatar.  Finally got round to giving it a go this morning and it's very good.  The Tidal credits revealed that she wrote none of it, which is unusual, but a bit of digging suggests this was very much her thing (she's a performer, not a songwriter).  It looks like she only cut two studio albums, and this was her second. It's mainly vocal led country blues with her on the banjo, btw, but there's a more fleshed out sound on a few tracks.  Her arrangement of When a Man Loves a Woman shows that she's more than happy to put her own spin on things.  

Must listen: Something on Your Mind, Katie Cruel or Are You Leaving For the Country.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to review Yard Act soon once their album drops but they have been fun.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’ve been listening to the most recent DJ Shadow album for about three days now, on and off. I’m still incapable of forming any sort of opinion about it!
  • 34. Andy Irvine/Paul Brady (1976)

s-l500.jpg

Not heard of either of them (turns out both were in Planxty with Christy Moore) but a track called Arthur McBride & the Sergeant popped up on my Tidal daily discovery playlist (a track I knew from a Dylan cover on a supposedly ropey early 90s album I quite like) and I loved it so I took a detour.  The album is a good mix of more of the same + instrumentals, with some wonderful playing throughout - especially on the opening track (Plains of Kildare) and Fred Finn's Reel/Sailing into Walpole's Marsh.  Nothing caught my attention quite as much as Arthur McBride, so I'll have that as the must listen (and admit it's miles better than Dylan's version), but there's good stuff here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!