regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Need to get back into an album today or tomorrow.
  • Moot is gonna make me have to do a proper Beverly Glenn Copeland post just to keep up. I've done the whole catalogue and ordered 2 T's and some vinyl.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I want to say that I’ve not had any constructive comments to add but I’ve greatly enjoyed reading along with Moot’s BSM exploration. Proper seat-of-the-pants music journalism. Lester Bangs would approve.
  • :)

13. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Up Where We Belong (1996)

ab67616d0000b273c2c76795efb6956f887113ab

"It's that song from the end of The Land Before Time!" I thought, midway through the title track.  Then I Googled it and the dart fell out - it's actually the one from An Officer and a Gentleman (although that wasn't a BSM performance - she did co-write though).  The rest of the album seems to be re-recorded versions of her earlier work, for better or worse (mostly worse imo), which isn't really what I'm after at this stage.  The mouth bow has been a welcome staple on almost all of her albums up to this point, but the native American chants have been getting louder/more prominent.  Which is great in the right place, but the big tribal choir stuff can be a bit heavy handed/overblown when added to tracks that were previously quite bare, and in my opinion it occasionally turns near-perfect songs into something that sounds a bit like an early 90s Cheltenham & Gloucester advert.  Not a bad album (I can think of a couple of these slightly indulgent rerecorded efforts that I absolutely love from other artists, so I can't complain too much) but not one for new listeners like myself - especially as having another go has had a negative impact on quite a few of these songs.
  • 14. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Running for the Drum (2009)

61B-hTe7PpL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Another long break from the limelight.  The magic is back though, so all missteps are forgiven.  The massive sound approach remains but proves irresistible here - the opening track is [checks modern notes] straight fire (in spite of the fake crowd noise and frat-hop guitars). Even the big broadway-ish numbers worked.  Even the rerecorded Little Wheel Spin and Spin worked!  Thank fuck for that, I was getting a bit worried with only three albums left.  I didn't even mind the cheesy, sleazy guitar bends all over the place, or the fact that the up-tempo tracks always sound one step away from someone running one foot across all the piano keys.  Shouting 'play the blues!' at the band (nine years into the noughties) before stepping away from the mic works here too, with zero cringe; she's absolutely rocking the bandleader thing and I love it (and her).  Still This Love Goes on, the reflective album closer, felt like A Real One and would be a shoo-in for even a single disc best of.       

Not close to her best album, but such a relief that it's good.  They've chucked everything at it and she owns it all.  Really enjoyed this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HES ON FIRE
    Spoiler:
  • Taken a detour with (very recent) YouTube videos about her completely faking indigenous Canadian heritage now.  It's been a journey.  Not sure what to make of it all just yet.  Apparently she was born in America to white parents, so the accusation is she's been playing a role for 60 years.  Also learned the word pretendianism.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Anyone else non-Buffy?

Bueller?

BTVS OST?
  • Beverly will be back. Couple of other things not worth mentioning.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Taken a detour with (very recent) YouTube videos about her completely faking indigenous Candian heritage now. It's been a journey. Not sure what to make of it all just yet. Apparently she was born in America to white parents, so the accusation is she's been playing a role for 60 years. Also learned the word pretendianism.

I was reading about that on wikipedia early today. Apparently she has now deleted all references to her being cree late last year. Some charade if true.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Beverly will be back. Couple of other things not worth mentioning.
  • Eric wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Taken a detour with (very recent) YouTube videos about her completely faking indigenous Candian heritage now. It's been a journey. Not sure what to make of it all just yet. Apparently she was born in America to white parents, so the accusation is she's been playing a role for 60 years. Also learned the word pretendianism.

I was reading about that on wikipedia early today. Apparently she has now deleted all references to her being cree late last year. Some charade if true.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/buffy-sainte-marie

In a twist no-one saw coming, it turns out her father was Uncle Albert.

The Sesame Street clip is oof.
  • Last two before I back into a hedge.  

15. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Power in the Blood (2015)

1-buffy-sainte-marie-power-in-the-blood.webp

16. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Medicine Songs (2017)

81o3R6NTqOL._UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

NGL the whole heritage business has thrown a last-minute spanner in the works for me.  She's steeped herself in indigenous culture since the 60s and no doubt had plenty of positive impact with causes and charities and so on....but there's some undeniably creepy (sinister?) stuff out there if you dig.  The letter to her brother threatening to expose him as a molester if he exposed her as American?  There's too much to unpack for me, and if I'm honest the fact that she's leaned so heavily into the Cree thing in later years (take a gander at those album covers) makes me feel a bit weird even though she has been effectively living the lie for decades.   

Power in the Blood would have have got a fairly enthusiastic double thumbs up if I'd listened to it yesterday morning, but I went to bed early with a bad case of the runs last night, pulled YouTube up on my phone and stumbled across dozens of fallout vids.  The Uranium War, which is a prequel to an earlier BSM story song called Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee feels particularly ERRRRM now.  More like Bury My Foot in Wounded Mouth, or something.  The title track is an Alabama 3 cover that has everything going on at once - it's almost club ready, with noir country and half a dozen other things running through it.  It's a very good album (top 6 BSM according to my SPREADSHEET), released when she was a mere 74yrs old, but there's a sour taste now.

Medicine Songs is another album that's heavy on re-recorded songs, but no-one needs a write-up on that so I'll leave it there.  

What a ride.  Judging the art not the artist, It's My Way might be the best album I've heard for years and Illuminations is superb.  My current take on the revelations is that she needs to give her head a wobble though.
  • I enjoyed these reviews, for what it is worth, Moot.
  • Thanks.  I enjoyed the listening and chatting.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    15. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Power in the Blood (2015)

1-buffy-sainte-marie-power-in-the-blood.webp

I’m not gonna pass judgement on whether it’s cultural appropriation or not, but purely on aesthetics that is a fucking great album cover.
  • Running with Bullshit.

Agree though.
  • I've very much enjoyed these reviews Moot, but I've been patiently sitting in the background wondering if and when you'd uncover the plot twist. :)
    She's one of these artists I've known about for a very long time, but never bothered to do a deep dive myself. My only real experience of her music comes from the single I bought back in the early 90s from probably the album you rated the lowest...

I'd also add that you said there was a mid-nineties album that heavily featured native American choirs and chanting to it's detriment? I'd posit that was the "Enigma" effect. After the success of Sadness and Return to Innocence...

every Tom, Dick and Harry jumped on the chanting bandwagon for a while. There were a lot of albums released in the mid-nineties that were clearly riding the Enigma gravy train.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Heh, Enigma.  One of the few bands I can recall my nan being into, much to the amusement of my dad.  I remember listening to one of her tapes once in a THEY'VE RIPPED OFF STREETS OF RAGE rage. 

Turns out it was released in 1990.

I've been looking at some lists and the BSM album I hated is often mentioned as a Europa league spot fan favourite.  Wasn't for me, but I'm not hating the one you've posted now...
  • Heh. Being a lover of Euro-cheese, Enigma are a guilty pleasure for me. I probably have more of their albums in my collection than I'd care to admit to, but Frankie Farian's production is consistently superb though. Great stuff if you've got good headphones to listen with.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 17. Chris Smither - Time Stands Still

71EJq12MHJL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Someone on another forum(!) sent me a hard drive full of music many years ago, which is where I found this guy. His Visions of Johanna cover - possibly my favourite Dylan song - is one of my favourite Dylan covers, and the stunning Leave the Light On (title track from the same album) is probably in my top 10-20 tracks ever too. So it's odd that I've never spent much time listening to his stuff (I only own that album and I've only listened to one other).

I chose this one because it was his next release after LTLO and it's brilliant. There's another great Dylan cover on here (It Takes a Lot to Laugh...), and as a not-so-secret Knopfler fan I was chuffed to hear a version of Madame Geneva's close things out too, which is a great song. The rest of the album is superb though, he's much more than a covers merchant and his wordplay is often wonderful.

@NickMD would like Smither's blues shuffle stuff in particular I reckon.
  • I’m on the hype train for this, but it’s not out until mid-March. Posting here as a bookmark to remind myself when the time comes.

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-12-15-a-las-17.27.05-copia.png

The local indie experts at Monorail are talking breathlessly about it sounding like Life Without Buildings, Elastica and Altered Images. Which puts it right up my street.
  • I’ve been listening to the lead single form it and … meh.

I can see the influences/comparisons, for sure. But that toytown circuit-bent guitar just rubs me the wrong way. Pushes an otherwise pleasant tune into twee territory.

If they tone down the Belle & Sebastian / BMX Bandits for some other songs I’ll get back on the hype train, because the LWB and Altered Images comparisons were bang-on. But on the basis of just this track, I’m disembarking.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    5. Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones

TattooYou81.jpg

My family is primarily Beatles. My dad and Mum both love them. Secondary to that is my Dad's Pink Floyd addiction and my Mum's Springsteen.

Off that though, both adore The Stones. I've always been around them and can rattle off 40 Licks no issue, but never really gone through an album. So I asked them at the weekend what I should listen to, and both voiced this 1981 banger.

It's rock, it's pop, it's wild saxophone solos. It's definitely the sound of cocaine, but I enjoyed It.

[7]
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    New Release day and there’s definitely a couple of albums I’m going to check out.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Trevor_Horn_-_Echoes_Ancient_%26_Modern.png

Trevor Horn: Echoes - Ancient & Modern

A covers album, released in 2023. Mostly re-imaginings of songs from the eighties, a few of which were produced with the exception of a couple (Tori Amos covering Kendrick Lamar for example!) While there are one or two decent interpretations, mostly this is utterly dismissive, phone-in efforts that you might have heard walking around a clothes shop in the late 80's/early 90's. I've given this 1.5 on rym, mainly for the Tori track, the Seal version of Joe Jackson's 'Steppin' Out and because Rick Astley is on it.

Oh well, on to the next.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Heh, Enigma.  One of the few bands I can recall my nan being into, much to the amusement of my dad.  I remember listening to one of her tapes once in a THEY'VE RIPPED OFF STREETS OF RAGE rage.  Turns out it was released in 1990. I've been looking at some lists and the BSM album I hated is often mentioned as a Europa league spot fan favourite.  Wasn't for me, but I'm not hating the one you've posted now...

I've listened to Enigma pretty much every night for the last 20 years as it's what my wife puts on when she goes to sleep. And it's the sound of her alarm clock. And her ringtone. Bonkers. 

If anyone's scrambling for an album to listen to, I can heartily recommend The Head Hurts But The Heart Knows The Truth by Headache.  A DJ puts AI spoken lyrics over a chilled set of beats; it's weird but very moreish and chills me out like I'm listening to early DJ Shadow. 
  • ffs. net playing up. hang on.
  • Well, lets do this properly now....

Beverly Glenn Copeland.

What a strange career.

2 albums in the 70s, and some guest appearances on other folks records. Some writing (of music I presume) for Sesame Street.

First track of first album is pretty great.

But it's Keyboard Fantasies from '86 that sets the scene for me. released on cassette only and then apparently rediscovered by a Japanese collector in 2015, remaster and re-issues follow and gems are uncovered.

In between, there's a very early 2000s, but very good, album, which reminds me a little of Annie Lennox solo, tbh. If we were being unkind we might call it adult contemporary.

Except that some how at damn near 80, he released the amazing The Ones Ahead, with the track above, I'd suggest Transitions is the best place to start. Covers a bit of everything.

TLDR: Amazing amazing voice, consistent quality and a couple of absolute all timer tracks.?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="

Just a perfect little album. Title really says it all. And absolutely cracking artwork too. (Have the T incoming.)

Latest album has the below, already posted. Absolutely stunning.

In between, there's a very early 2000s, but very good, album, which reminds me a little of Annie Lennox solo, tbh. If we were being unkind we might call it adult contemporary.

Except that some how at damn near 80, he released the amazing The Ones Ahead, with the track above, I'd suggest Transitions is the best place to start. Covers a bit of everything.

TLDR: Amazing amazing voice, consistent quality and a couple of absolute all timer tracks." frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="iz_DdCRxbyE?si

TLDR: Amazing amazing voice, consistent quality and a couple of absolute all timer tracks.?wmode=opaque" data-youtube-id="

Just a perfect little album. Title really says it all. And absolutely cracking artwork too. (Have the T incoming.)

Latest album has the below, already posted. Absolutely stunning.

TLDR: Amazing amazing voice, consistent quality and a couple of absolute all timer tracks." frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
  • wtf internet. When I edit, it's only there once. ffs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!