regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4. The Beaches - Blame My Ex

Blame-My-Ex.jpeg

This was just something I scrolled through and found and thought it might be up my street. Never heard of The Beaches before but apparently from Canada and this is their second album. Anyway, if you really like listening to The Bangles, which I do, you'll probably like this. It's some guitar based pop, with the occasional scuzz. Quite liked it. [6]
  • They are awesome, check out the first album Late Show. I believe there are some singles between both albums that aren't on either of them too.

Also it's The Beaches.
  • This sounds like my kind of thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They are awesome, check out the first album Late Show. I believe there are some singles between both albums that aren't on either of them too.

Also it's The Beaches.

Cheers, amended
  • poprock wrote:
    This sounds like my kind of thing.

Yes it does.
  • 4. It's My Way! - Buffy Sainte-Marie (1964)

Buffy_Sainte-Marie-Its_My_Way.jpg

When I was trying to get my decking done in a day with my brother in law - we failed - I let Tidal play a load of things the algo thought I'd like.  At one point (in the middle of the heaviest period of rain for added effect!) it played a track called Cod'ine by Buffy Sainte-Marie (who I'm pretty sure I'd never heard of) and it was a proper HOLY SHIT WHO THE FUCK IS THIS moment.  I made a note of it and dipped into compilations/playlists for a while - super stuff.  Decided to listen to her debut album toady and it didn't disappoint.  I'd always assumed Donovan wrote Universal Soldier, but nope, so that's one less point for him in my head.  Based on what I've heard to date she's incredible, this was excellent album and I'll probably carry on through the rest of her stuff over the next few weeks.  

• Oooh, cheers for that Moot. Will defo check.

Tidal Staff picks. 

Beverly-Glenn-Copeland-The-Ones-Ahead.jpgBeverly Glenn-Copeland. The Ones Ahead. Amazing. 

Now doing what I think is effectively a greatest hits. Will be absolutely smashing the whole back catalogue, there hasn't been a dud yet.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 3) Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess (2023) - 04/01/24

Chappell_Roan_-_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_a_Midwest_Princess.png

Debut album from someone it looks like has been working on this a fair while. Produced and written with Dan Nigro, who did the same for the next album we'll get to. It's great fun, uptempo pop with the right amount of weird. I love her voice. I think Poprock will like this.

4) Olivia Rodrigo - Guts (2023) - 05/01/24

Olivia_Rodrigo_-_Guts.png

I've heard a lot about Olivia but have never actually heard anything from her so I put this on whilst doing the washing up. It might be something that grows on me, because there are some songs that caught my ear, but I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for a new fave. There's nothing bad on it, at worst is functional, mostly it's good, but I thought it would be great. Hopefully it's a grower.
  • Olivia is solid. Some good stuff on there, but it really is good... For the genre.

Which in this case is a lowish bar.

Meanwhile, I've now listened to basically all of Beverly's last 4 releases on repeat all day.

One's a live album, ones a "greatest hits" and 2 lps.

All 100% amazing.

If you enjoy listening to older singers who have voices that show all that experience, think late Joni or Robert plant or bettie Lavette (music leaning more to jazz/show tune joni).

Think Beverly started as a jazz keys player/singer. Will be going back to the 70s and 80s stuff tomorrow.

• My partner went to a Chappell gig recently. Was a lot of fun apparently and she specifies a dress up theme for the show that changes each show.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message

Dante, both are worth persisting with. Vampire was my favourite/most played song last year on Spotify Wrapped and Red Wine Supernova was a close second!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm trying 'Scaring The Hoes' by JPEGMAFIA/Danny Brown. Fantano liked it although he does favour hip-hop at times, this does appear to have a bit more to it than just Hip-Hop.

For Your Consideration: Kingdom Hearts Key
  • My partner went to a Chappell gig recently. Was a lot of fun apparently and she specifies a dress up theme for the show that changes each show.

I get big Amanda Palmer vibes from her, so this does not surprise me.
    Olimite wrote:
    Dante, both are worth persisting with. Vampire was my favourite/most played song last year on Spotify Wrapped and Red Wine Supernova was a close second!

I'm fully on board with Chappell Roan, am prepared to give Olivia a chance, only had one listen. Just put Vampire on, thats one of the ones I did like it turns out.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Sour, her debut was pretty decent too, if a little ballad-heavy. If you want a soundbite of decent tracks:

Traitor
    Driver's License
    Deja Vu
    Good 4 U (Banger)
  • So Algo threw a band called SUSS at me after Beverly.

Described as Ambient SF Country. And that's 100% accurate. Wil stay in the rotation of stuff I put on when working for sure.
  • Doing their latest at the moment, but I get the feeling it doesn't matter. They are a genre band and they stay in their lane, hard.
  • 5. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Little Wheel Spin & Spin (1966)

Little_Wheel_Spin_and_Spin.jpeg

Not quite as stunning as It's My Way! and generally more trad folkie sounding (she pulls from more standards here - Lady Margaret sounds like the first cousin of Matty Groves and shares a few lines).  Simple arrangements + powerful performances seem to be her thing, which ticks some major boxes for me.  The title track is magic.

Edit: Apparently this isn't her second album, meaning I've missed one called Many a Mile which doesn't appear to be available on Tidal.
  • 6. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Fire & Fleet & Candlelight

buffe-sainte-marie-fire-400med.jpg

Production is starting to get a bit more lush in places - one of the tracks even sounds vaguely Bond theme-ish.  It's a good fit though, and there's still stripped down stuff here.  Circle Game (written by Joni Michell) is an absolute banger and appears here years before Mitchell recorded it for Ladies of the Canyon, and whether it's sacrilege to say or not I thought the up tempo BSM version was miles better.  Good stuff once again.
  • Heh, was such a tiny jpeg too.
  • 7. Buffy Sainte-Marie - I'm Gonna Be A Country Girl Again (1968)

NS01MDIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Well don't let me stop you.  Here come the steel guitars ofc, but it's a great fit for the voice and this isn't an off-the-wrist heartache, fiddles & twang effort - there are some legit songs on here.  She's knows what she's doing (as do the session vets roped in for the sessions) and A Soulful Shade of Blue is a belter and the title track is catchy AF.  I hope she doesn't stick with this direction, but as an excursion it's well executed and I thoroughly enjoyed her trying her hand at something different.  An indulgent Nashville album could well be considered a miss-step/stinker (I don't know because I haven't checked any album ranker stuff yet), but of course I liked it.  It does run out of steam a little towards the end though (then pulls it back for a lively closer).  There's a rerecording of Now That the Buffalo's Gone on here too (from her debut).  Admittedly it turned out worse with a Marty Robbins-esque arrangement unfortunately, but it's nice to have options!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’m listening to ‘Can’t Buy A Thrill’ by Steely Dan today. While I know a fair few of their individual tracks, I’ve never heard an album so am fixing that right now!

Must Listen: Reelin’ In The Years
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Legend of Ely, by Ely Eira.  Fairly meh, not enough going on beyond some singing.
  • 3) Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess (2023) - 04/01/24

Chappell_Roan_-_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_a_Midwest_Princess.png

Debut album from someone it looks like has been working on this a fair while. Produced and written with Dan Nigro, who did the same for the next album we'll get to. It's great fun, uptempo pop with the right amount of weird. I love her voice. I think Poprock will like this.

This isn’t doing it for me. I’ve given it a thorough try since Dante’s post but there’s just something missing, for me. She’s got no soul.

The range is interesting rather than impressive - she apes Girli in one song, Amanda Palmer in another, Apollo Smile, Republica, Regina Spektor, and even Radiohead at one point. But despite all the swings I didn’t hear a single hit. She copy/pastes all these styles at random instead of using them in service of any ideas.

I’m struggling to define why I don’t adore her. The ingredients are all there. But the X-factor isn’t. There’s no star quality. And the songs lack hooks. They’re adequate instead of great.

Nice voice on her though. I bet she’s fun live.
  • Never mind, you've identified all the reasons I thought you would like her though!
  • 8. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Illuminations (1969)

51PPmnv08OL._SY200_QL15_.jpg

What a pay off!  Listened to this several times since yesterday, partly because I couldn't work it out at first but mainly because it's amazing.  It's not just the voice and delivery that's huge this time - the production is wild.  Did not expect BSM to land on psychedelic sci fi synth folk rock after a Nashville detour 5 years into her discography, but here we are.  Multi layered vocals, echo chamber effects and a liberal smattering of synth coupled with her trademark showstopping vocals give the whole thing a massive (and distinctive) sound.  One track (Adam) sounds like the Tardis warming up when it starts, which makes way for biblical imagery, swirling strings, pulsating/bouncing bass and on-point drums before eventually coming to rest, presumably back in Totter's Lane.  Suffer the Little Children is Hollis Brown performed by a banshee.  A later track (He's a Keeper of the Fire) sounds like she went down a massive Helter Skelter, took an elevator back up to the 13th Floor, pressed the Wonka Button and smashed through the roof.     

The big voice/simple arrangements of the first album are still (just about) my preference but this feels like the big one.   Truly exceptional, I love it.

Ended up doing some reading up on this one, was too legit not to want more info.  More on the synth use and the record in general here, including stuff like this:

And in 1969, when she unleashed her astounding, trailblazing sixth LP Illuminations, she became the first musician not only to release an album with vocals processed through a Buchla 100 synthesizer (the very same unit that the electronic music legend Morton Subotnik had used to compose his landmark 1967 album Silver Apples of the Moon), but the first person ever to make an album recorded using quadraphonic technology, an early precursor to surround-sound.
  • 9. Buffy Sainte-Marie - She Used to Wanna be a Ballerina (1971)

OC01MDU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Sorry.  Also not sorry really, because she's awesome.  This suffered from being next on the list after Illuminations at first, but there are a couple of really good tracks towards the end (Moratorium in particular is a strong story song, and Soldier Blue* is great).  Much better than solid, just not as good as the previous one.  She has a crack at The Partisan too (Song of the French Partisan here), which is as lovely as you'd expect, with added whistling.

*Written for an interesting sounding revisionist western of the same name..
  • 10. Moonshot - Buffy Sainte-Marie (1972)

moonshot.jpg

11. Quiet Places - Buffy Sainte-Marie (1973)

NC0xNzA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Lumping these two in together because they lack the wow factor of some of her earlier records. Having said that, they're both good and I'm starting to wonder if she's ever put out a bad album.  Great moments (I'm pretty sure the best tracks would've been good enough to catch my attention even without prior listening) but they roll at a 3.5/5 average.

The country album seems like it might've been a one-off but Quiet Place opens with a decent cover of Why You Been Gone So Long.

Yes I will tap my toe thankyou.  And imagine Sturgill ripping through this one with The Dap Kings as a Sailor's Guide off-cut...
  • 12. Buffy Sainte-Marie - Coincidence & Likely Stories (1992) 

10d6504330068ad40918c9e4c8e4c7a1.198x198x1.jpg

Unexpected 20 year hiatus alert.  Everything sounds a bit like it's been cobbled together for the end credits of a dodgy late 80s action film, which doesn't suit her at all.  I wanted to like it but it's just not very good, and if I fancied listening to this sort of thing I'd reach for numerous other artists first.  She was ahead of the curve with the production on Illuminations but miles behind it here, at least to my ear.  It's not quite embarrassing but it's not far off, especially as it's essentially a comeback album.  Bad End sets the tone with a terribly shit start (it's near the start anyway), even down to the false finish.  Do Not Want.

I'll admit that Starwalker slaps (and I'm Going Home/Goodnight get a pass too) but Priests of the Golden Bull is easily the worst track from my 9 album journey so far.  Almost a complete waste of her talent; like watching De Niro gurn his way through Little Fockers. 
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm starting to wonder if she's ever put out a bad album.

:EYES:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!