2024 Listening Booth
  • Oh, it was Sinner

Sinner is far and away the best track on the album. Even if we remove my issues with Nothing Matters, Sinner pisses all over it from a great height. This will be up there for song of the year.

This seems a bit like 2024's Wet Leg to me. It's the sort of thing that I should in theory like, but I simply can't fathom why everyone is going apeshit for it. I can pull Amanda Palmer/Dresden Dolls, Alphabeat and Kate Bush out of this, so I don't know why that doesn't coalesce into a fully fledged like.
  • poprock wrote:
    Must listen? Sinner. Everybody’s already heard (and decided whether they love) Nothing Matters. But I think Sinner is the better song. It’s got more legs.

Dante gets it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    9. j Mascis - What Do We Do Now 3/4/23

JMascis-450x450.jpg

This was lovely to listen to, it's some real nice indie pop, and then, yes, let's let the guy absolutely pop off on guitar, which is awesome.

The problem is it's not much more than that, and I'm not sure there's anything worth a relisten apart from yo this is nice sounding. There's definitely an age on the voice now which makes me feel the passage of time and also makes some of the songs have a bit more weight but this overall felt like good noodly music by a nice guy. [6]
  • 40. Narrow Head - Moments of Clarity (2023)

a1285041099_14.jpg

I'm in Whatsapp group with a few mates who enjoy stroking their beards willies at music.  Two of them still seems to be enjoying themselves doing gigs and band stuff in a three piece, fair play for the effort required to keep that sort of thing up at our age.  PLUG HERE.

Anyway, this was mentioned by one of them as their favourite album of last year, so I gave it a go.  It's not for me really.  When they sound Pumpkins-ish it's good, but there's a bit of a nu metal floor bounce clang to it I don't really like.  Not bad, it's just a bit too baggy cargo pants + chain wallet early noughties moshpit for me though.

Must listen: I didn't really pick anything out.  Sunday, maybe.    

The conversation then moved on to best album of the last 10 years for some reason, and someone offered this:

41. Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats - Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats (2015)

nathaniel-rateliff_and_the-night-sweats-475x475.jpg

I know Rateliff from a John Prine tribute album.  I definitely listened to one or two of his albums on the back of this pretty good cover, but remember thinking they were decent rather than great.  This one's fucking great though, I've had three goes now (there's a chance I listened to it back when I dabbled, but if I did I wasn't paying attention).  It was on while I was hoovering the garden yesterday and my wife said half the tracks would fit in on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, so I'll pinch that and pass it off as mine - a collection of original songs that could pass themselves off as soul-rock classics.   

Also: The Night Sweats is a great band name for a 'so & so and the' kind of set-up imo, so well done them.      

Must listen: All of it, it's a belter.  Howling at Nothing is my favourite though.
  • 42. The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy (2024)

ab67616d00001e02aaa10f339ed589b84c51137d

Would've been rude not to give it a go.  I didn't think much of it though, unfortunately.  Sinner is a great track but even that's not something I'd want to listen to regularly.  I couldn't shake the feeling that they're a bit of a novelty act and a grandiose mix of Katzenjammer, Lana Del Rey and Kate Bush isn't really my thing anyway.  Lots of energy, lots of fun, plenty of shrugs from me throughout. I've seen plenty of Amanda Palmer mentions recently and I get it, but the spark is missing imo.  I'll stick to The Jeep Song thx.
  • 43. Courtney Barnett - MTV Unplugged

barnett.jpg

Haven't listened to her for a while.  Instead of going for one of the two recent albums I haven't heard I opted for this instead, because it has my two favourite tracks on and I was in a lazy listening mood.  It sounds like it's been recorded next to an aviary, which isn't a bad thing really because ATMOSPHERE, and there's a nice Leonard Cohen cover at the end.  Plus a track called Charcoal Lane by someone called Archie Roach which might prompt some further listening.  Textbook 3/5 stuff.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Listened to loads recently, some bits and bobs but haven’t written much of it down!

Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day
    Indie Pop - 2023

Bombay_Bicycle_Club_-_My_Big_Day.png

Wonderful stuff! Started a second listen-through immediately after ‘Onward’ finished, mainly because I couldn’t decide which track I wanted to add to my ‘Must Listen’. The collaborations are for the most, excellent (including one of my songs of 2023, Tekken 2 (yes really) featuring the legendary Chaka Khan. The non-collab stuff works well too with some sounds that I wouldn’t expect from an Indie Pop band (‘Rural Radio Predicts the Rapture’). My main regret here is that I didn’t listen to it on release and left it until now.

Must Listen: Onward.
  • Archie roach is a bit of a legend. Just passed away semi recently. Last year, unless my memory is wrecked. Some real good stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ab67616d00001e02aaa10f339ed589b84c51137d

Another day, another person reviewing The Last Dinner Party.

I'll be honest I came in predisposed not to like this. The sheer weight of hype had led me to regard them almost sight unseen (ear unheard?) as a kind of indie Spice Girls - which on having actually properly listened to them is wildly unfair, they're clearly very talented indeed.

And, yes, Dante's right. Sinner is the track. Have you heard a lot of it before?  Sure - but it steals from all the best places, Kate Bush meets Queen meets Sparks is a pretty great recipe.

Other highlights for me are Burn Alive (which made me wish that Wild Beasts were still around), and Beautiful Boy, which had me from "the best a boy can ever be is pretty..." 

Elsewhere however it feels a little overproduced.  This is not a subtle record, even when it should be, and at times it feels reluctant to sit back and just deliver on the quality of the songwriting.  Like a writer who can't help adding metaphors when their opening line was already perfect.

I found myself admiring the skill, enjoying much of it, but also wondering whether they might not have been better still had they been left out of the limelight to develop for a while longer...  (Though I appreciate that's the death of many a wonderful band, so what the Hell do I know?)

a2064757746_10.jpg

Sadness Sets Me Free - Gruff Rhys

I feel like I need to give this a little longer as at first listen l felt it was a little flat, but by the third or fourth play through I'm starting to feel it may actually be a work of genius.  This is, of course, often the way with Gruff. Both on the Super Furries, and his solo works, I've often found myself going through the same "I'm not sure...Oh! This is amazing!" journey.

If nothing else, it's a record that tells you exactly what you're going to get in the title alone.  This is an an entire album about sadness, loneliness and the general shittiness of the world in which we live - set to music that makes you feel anything but.  

"Cover Up the Cover Up" is a gently twinkling epic that also happens to be a quietly whispered call to burn everything down and start again. "Celestial Candyfloss" is the track for the Super Furries fans, with lush orchestration over a lovely layered pop melody, whilst  "They Sold My Home To Build a Skyscraper" is a toe tapping samba number that is every bit as depressing as the title indicates it's going to be, albeit with a small nugget of hope.  "Bad Friend" meanwhile is the song I feel I need to send to everyone I care about with a hand written note saying, "I'm sorry I'm shit, but I love yer".  

Having complained that Last Dinner Party sometimes feels a little overproduced, I guess I should make the same observation here - though the sheen that's been applied feels very purposeful here, all in the spirit of making the shittiness shimmer.
  • ab67616d0000b2735ad4080f3a7a3cc44fe19ac9

So apparently I'd added one of this guy's albums to my tidal a while back, but I had him pop up on youtube and it was great so I revisited another album.

Very very accessible jazz. 

As I pay attention I also note he's a darling of the youtube music reaction crowd too. Beato has an interview etc etc.

Big recommend for Squint and View with a Room, but probably all his stuff, because he's very much in a genre, and so just seems to release an album a year of delightful tunes. 

there are actual live vids out there, but even his "videos" appear to be live performances.... so all of these are just lovely. Obsessed a little with the musical flirting between him and his drummer in these. 
    https://youtu.be/cEqgeN27Hhk?si=cQGg-SW138YFKHX8
  • Sorry this is not a review but my brain seen Face post about jazz and a drummer was mentioned so I'm just dropping this dude here for him

https://www.instagram.com/isacjamba?igsh=c3VyNDZhYzcza2tj

Can't remember if I've put you on him before or not, but God, he's sensational. A broad smile on my face hearing him go, every time.
  • Yeah, he's a cracker. Only credited on one album on tidal, but it's great.

His vid from Memphis drum store where Zach grooves asks him about practicing independence is ridiculous. Explains it so clearly and shows the process so well, but ramps up to ridic so quick with a smile....

So tasty.
  • 44. Tim Dog - Do Or Die (1993)

ab67616d00001e02f6d517711bbb2c4cf6ab743b

Posted a track from a different album in the Hip Hop thread forthelols, then stuck around because I had nothing better to do.  It's OK.  I tend to like the way this sort of stuff sounds (constant raps over hard, repetitive loops), but if you listen to the lyrics it's 90% bollocks really.   

Has a track with KRS-ONE on it (I Get Wrecked), where both of them seem to be trading bars in the big-dogs-proving-our-skills zone, but they can both get rekt in this particular instance as - with all due respect to Kris for his service to the game - neither of them set the world alight as much as they think they do.  Timothy Dawg has a prominent lisp, so he gets an extra point for tenacity, but most of the record sees him either delivering weak homophobic/misogynistic/canine related wordplay (in one instance eventually adding 'mo' to the end of the word 'ho' to cover two bases at once) or literally rapping about how much he loves his Timberland boots.  It ends (after over 50 minutes) with a rollcall track, where he sends shouts out to literally dozens of superior artists.  Then goes on to thank 'all the female rappers out there', without actually naming any. 

Not awful, with some genuinely excellent beats in places, but I won't be digging any deeper.  Unfortunately we lost Tim Dog (to death) in 2013 :(
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Future Islands - People Who Aren’t There Anymore
    Synthpop/Indietronica (2024)

Future_Islands_-_People_Who_Aren%27t_There_Anymore.png

Seen this featuring on a few lists for 2024 already. While it’s classified as Synthpop, it may well be but I prepare mine a little more upbeat than this and while some of the arrangements are accomplished, I just can’t get on with the male vocals - reminds me a bit of The National. Glad I tried it but happy to move on.

Must Listen: King of Sweden.

• 45. Little Simz - Drop 7 (2024)

Screenshot-2024-02-09-at-3.11.53-AM.png?resize=600%2C597&ssl=1

EP.  Her character annoyed me in Top Boy but it prompted me to check out some of her stuff, and I thought No Thank You (2022) in particular was excellent.  This was fine, a bit flashier/clubbier than usual in the beats department but without anything of note to really get the juices flowing.  Decent enough but she's better than this - Mood Swings just sounds like an OK M.I.A track, and Simz should sound like Simz imo.   

46. Madi Diaz - Weird Faith (2024)

Madi%2520Diaz-Weird%2520Faith.png

A track from this popped up on my new release radar playlist (For Months Now) and I quite liked it/her voice so I gave the album a go.  I found it quite samey and didn't really get on with it unfortunately.  I did make a note of a couple more tracks that stood out (neither was the duet with Kacey Musgraves), but I've misplaced the post-it note and I don't fancy listening again.  Not bad, but not for me.  

47. Ry Cooder - Into the Purple Valley (1972)

vintage-vinyl-records-0308_77beb9d1-69c2-4c62-b7fa-b991981996c9_300x300.jpg?v=1683227889

I know Cooder's A Big Deal, like some sort of mystical slide guitar musician's musician, but aside from his film soundtracks (a few of which I love) and a couple of albums I bought that didn't blow me away, I'm not familiar with much of his output.  So I selected a record at random.  Firstly, that's a great cover.  Secondly, this was a good album (that gets better the louder you listen), so I decided to do another one straight after.  

48. Ry Cooder - Ry Cooder (1970)

s-l500.jpg

Admittedly that's not quite such a great cover.  To me he sounds a bit like Randy Newman with lesser lyrical chops but a better sound, and although I definitely prefer his instrumental work these were legit listens.  Will do more at some point.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That Little Simz EP is on my listen-to list this week. Currently finishing off my second listen of The Last Dinner Party so will be able to add it to the log soon.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I was genuinely shocked when I heard the ‘fuck’ version of Nothing Matters. I don’t know why.

Strange that the album (well on Spotify) has the ‘have’ version. Is there a Parental Advisory one?
  • There were two to choose from on Tidal yeah
  • All I can add on the LDP stuff is, when it comes to Nothing Matters (only reason I know of it is it is the EA FC soundtrack), the lyrics and especially those in the bridge, are absolutely terrible. So then I just let them fall into the part of my brain that believes they're a record label psyop prepping themselves for BBC recognition that will ultimately send them down the road of Paloma Faith, Scouting For Girls, et al.
  • 49. Tim Dog - Penicillin on Wax (1991)

ab67616d0000b2734b5a6f6785186c36b77814e8

I said I wouldn't, but then I did.  I'm fascinated by how mediocre some of the lesser-known 80s/early 90s era rappers are, especially when it comes to wordplay.  Granted, the whole scene was still in its infancy, but all this guy really seems to offer is the beef.  As far as I can tell he's not got the voice, the flow, the words, the style, the charisma or anything else you might care to judge rappers by (admittedly his always-back-yourself swagger stats are off the chart).  You'll hear him say 'Tim Dog' relentlessly over the course of the record - which course is over an hour long - and I get that reinforcing your brand is most definitely a thing in rap (there are many like it, but this one is special)....but it's such a rubbish name?  I'm not belittling it as an ExBox fanboy moniker because it fits the GAMES GAMES GAMES vibe, but I'm not having it as an appropriate handle for a GUNS GUNS GUNS guy who repeatedly calls out the entire city of Compton on maybe 65% on his tracks.  

Example of a Timbo's bar: 'I was mad, I was getting upset'.  He follows this up with a line about being strapped with gats, but the damage is done because in my head he's already cuddling a Cabbage Patch with his bottom lip sticking out. From the stupendously awesome/awful prison drama 'Goin Wild in the Penile': 'left, right, left, right, left left right! And he was out for the night'.  For context, he's describing his combos during a fistfight with a huge chap called Bruce (who was moving to the comparatively Tiny Tim in a potentially rapey way).  Also: 'you wanna fuck with the D.O.G, but you could never ever ever fuck with me'.  Never ever ever, Timmy?  Gold.  It's not the size of dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog (sorry T Dawg, Mark Twain said that one).  Elsewhere he says he'll flip someone like a pancake if they step to him, which was appropriate because I listened to it on Tuesday, but as far as smacktalk goes it can't hold a candle to Jo Malone.  It's all on that sort of level - at one point it sounds like he searches the word 'energetical' on rhymezone.com, then proceeds to spit out the results back to back (for the record: theoretical, copacetical, alphabetical, hypothetical).  Yes they all rhyme, but one of those isn't even a word m8.  Most of the skits are either Tim dissing the N.W.A, or west coast women associated/affiliated with N.W.A members discussing how good he looks.  I get that fanning the flames under the beef was big business, but it's all a bit desperate at times.

Tracks have titles like Fuck Compton, Step to Me, You Ain't Shit and I'll Wax Anybody, all of which do more or less exactly what it says on the tin.  Less menacing titles such as 'I Ain't Takin' No Shorts' and 'Secret Fantasies' might sound more like Drew planning a trip to Vegas, but the content is along similar lines to the rest.  BTW, Secret Fantasies is, without hyperbole (absurdily, superbally....cyberbully?) one of the worst tracks I've heard for years.  Absolute guff.  Also, I'd imagine this album would have been controversial in 1991 because he kills a cop on 'Bronx Nigga', which was surely a touch problematic.  

I tried to dislike it, but it's infectious and the beats on most of the tracks he's codswalloping over are great.  I'll probably do the rest now (I'm halfway through his smol doge discography already).  TiL that he was in the Ultramagnetic MCs for a time from 1989.  I've only got the album he's not on, coincidentally, but I think it's great (Critical Breakdown), so maybe I'll check the rest out to see if he ruins them.

Must Listen: Goin' Wild in the Penile, for sure.  Also: You Ain't Shit, which successfully teases an Average White Band sample throughout, without ever delivering more than a snippet.  Can't knock the DJ here.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Weezer - Pinkerton
    Indie Rock/Power Pop - 1996

Pinkerton_cover.jpg

Following on from Moot’s thread I realised that I’d almost certainly never listened to a Weezer album in full. I chose Pinkerton because I think it’s held in high regard. On first listen, a lot of the songs sound very similar. The opener ‘Tired of Sex’ slaps even if the lyrics are a tad awkward. It disappears after that, regaining its strength (and a run of the best songs on the album) in the middle. Lyric-checking Chuck D did make me laugh. All in all, I guess this is Weezer being Weezer which is what they do best. I can’t say I’d return to this album again, that said.

Must listen: The Good Life
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Jalen Ngonda - Come Along and Love Me
    Soul - 2023

61a9RTogoHL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Another discovery from my Discover playlist. Comparisons to Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson are inescapable. Silky smooth vocals, some toe-tapping guitar hooks make this a great listen and at under 35 minutes, an album that doesn’t outstay its welcome. With most of the songs at a similar length though, a small criticism would be that I’d like to have heard what he could do with a bit more time at his disposal (or maybe a guest appearance or two in a duet). Nit picking really as this was impressive for a fairly young lad. If he ever toured in the area, I’d be tempted to check him out!

Must listen: Come Along and Love Me

• Olimite wrote:
    All in all, I guess this is Weezer being Weezer which is what they do best.

I wonder how much this view has changed over time. With perspective, yeah - Pinkerton is quintessential Weezer. But when it was released, it was a hell of a shock to people. Much artier, more abrasive, and less pop than The Blue Album. There’s no Buddy Holly here.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I guess. I’m assuming it didn’t perform as commercially as Blue?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It absolutely bombed which is why The Green Album is seen as such a success.
  • 50. Frontier Ruckus - On the Northline (2024)

album-cover-for-digital-1.jpeg?fit=480%2C480&ssl=1

Really enjoyed this but it's absolutely killed me this morning as I've been left trying to remember the name of the band I thought they were.  I've got a Frontier Ruckus album from 2010 (Deadfalls and Nightfalls) but it turns out the song I was thinking of isn't on that, and it's been so long I doubt I'll ever be able to place this other band now, unless I dig out my now ancient external hard drive.  The album cover looked a bit like this (but at night maybe?) And it was jangly wordy poprock with banjos iirc.  They were maaaybe from Portland - if not, it was just after that whole indie era anyway.  It would've been from 2009ish maybe.  I thought they had Frontier, or maybe Prairie in the title.  Did the song have a state name starting with O in it?  Who fucking knows. Welcome to my life.
  • Would recommend the what makes this song stink ep on weezer if you just did Pinkerton. Finerty was all in his feelings. Great ep.
  • Idles - Tangk

IMG-5421.webp

Really enjoyed this. It’s a lot “softer” than previous albums, but no less enjoyable for it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's next on my list. Love em

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!