2024 Listening Booth
  • 105. Slint - Spiderland (1991)

li-500x500.jpg

I couldn't find my wireless headphones yesterday so I grabbed my old Fiio player and best headphones (my Samsung phone doesn't have a headphone port, the cunts).  It's got two 128gb micro SD cards full to the brim with FLAC files I painstakingly ripped from cds when I was up the rabbit's hole a few years ago.  I've eased off that particular hobby recently but I loved the lossless wanker journey, and the Fostex cans sound absolutely miles better than my Soundcore set.  Anyway, aside from revisiting things I know inside out I thought I'd listen to something new so I could add it here, and realised I'd never listened to this album all the way through.  It's my mate's favourite non Smashing Pumpkins album afaik, so I should have listened to it beforehand really.  Especially as he let me keep the CD I borrowed to get the FLAC files from.

The beauties:

20240424-083739.jpg

I'm not sure why I avoided this album in full for so long.  Possibly because I made the mistake of thinking it'd be tache-twiddlingly inaccessible in a muso-beardo way ('isn't this wilfully obtuse album so accomplished'), which it really isn't - it's actually a great first listen, and sounds genuinely fantastic with a beefy set-up.  Will go again soon.
  • Nice cans! Nice write-up too, I’ll give that a blast with my beefy set-up. Although first I need to give the new Zutons a listen.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I've got my amp/dac combo out too so I'll post some pics of the full set up later. Glory days.

[Small font]Sounds really good on it[/small font]
  • 106. Various Artists - Live On Mountain Stage: Outlaws & Outliers (2024)

a3954547773_65

Collection of live performances released on Prine's Oh Boy label.  Full of beauties & belters, I had a blast playing this as loud as my Soundcore headphones would go (which is just a smidge less loud that I would've liked).  I'm familiar with most of the artists here but a few of the ones I didn't recognise caught my ear - Watchhouse in particular might be my jam so I'll be investigating soon.  

If I had to pick two highlights - which I don't but I will - I'd go for Tyler's storming version of Going Home (not that one) and Rhiannon Giddens' stunning cover of Black is the Color:

• Fun fact I learned yesterday: the photo used for the cover of that Slint album at the top of the page was taken by Will Oldham.
  • 107. Justice - Hyperdrama (2024)

Justice%2520-%2520Hyperdrama.jpg

I'm definitely not the right guy to be running the rule over this as the only Justice I've ever really needed in my life is the wonderful Cross album, which is irrefutably top tier.  This didn't strike me as a patch on that and although it's clearly accomplished in quite a few places it rarely hits as hard as my favourites (they're well suited for a full sonic attack, which they seem to eschew in favour of moar layers & hooks here).  A good chunk of the start of this album is kinda dull maybe?  *ducks for cover pulling a sweat bead emoji*.  Things start to pick up at Incognito, but even that sounded like a Carpenter Brut track with some Justice stuff peeking through.  Not bad though, and Mannequin Love is quite lovely - not sure if it subtly samples Donna Summer's I Feel Love or just constantly sounds like it's threatening to but it's a vibe and I'd have this as the best track.  The back half of the record is a bit better tbf, so it redeems itself in The End.  They just seem reluctant to go all out, which may well be a Justice thing now (OMG their first album is 17yrs old) but I prefer the ALL CYLINDERS STRAIGHT FIRE stuff so I'll stick with what I know.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Get. Out.

:)
  • Tbf it took me a fair while to warm to anything post-Cross. It was just pure electricity from the first note.
  • They'll never top Cross but thats ok.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Punctuation explosion!

• Wrong music thread!
  • While we're doing wrong thread stuff I can't find the headphones/audio thread so I'll post here.

Set up my set-up again:

20240427-091502.jpg
    The Daddy wrote:
    Nice cans!

HiFiMAN open back headphones on mini Brams there. Schiit DAC/Amp combo.
  • That’s the good Schiiit right there.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 108. Charley Crockett - $10 Cowboy (2024)

418467266522_large.webp?v=1706019263

This guy sure churns them out.  Thirteen LPs + a live album since 2015 = a very busy boy.  I've dabbled a few times before (his 70s chic retro album art always seems to draw me in) and enjoyed tracks here and there but I've never quite been sold on a full album until this one.  Maybe the "oh right, he's a modern Glen Campbell With Neil's Diamonds mixed in with the rhinestones!" penny finally dropped or perhaps I was just in the right mood this time.  Good stuff, had this on a few times over the weekend.  

• Country Lookin’ Chain

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F0c2d466f-f615-4b1f-be3a-201246c8aff5.heic

This is a joke, but it’s quite a funny one. Beyoncé goes country and puts out a double album. Goldie Lookin’ Chain feed their greatest hits into an AI music generator and quickly put out a country doubler of their own.

The biggest surprise is how well it works. Not well enough to sound good, or anything like that. But good enough to release. Perfectly valid, if a bit wonky, background music. 

Obviously it’s way too long. But that’s the joke. So was Beyoncé’s. I listened to Country Lookin’ Chain all the way through and can confidently tell you not to bother. Try this as a shorter playlist. Enough to get the joke and move on:
    1. Cwmbran Corral
    2. Half Man Half Cowboy
    3. Nan Jam Hoedown
    4. Taxi - Covered Wagon Mix
    5. Dryrobe - Poncho Mix
  • Done (playlist picks).  It's no 12 Golden Country Greats but I enjoyed that :)

Accidentally let it play Western Wellend too, which got a few lols.
  • If nothing else it’s an amazing example of the current capabilities of AI music generators. It’s capable from start to finish, but it lacks any soul. Made by the band themselves, this would be hilarious - they’d know when to emphasise, when to pause, when to make changes for comic effect.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Four Tet - Three
    Downtempo (2024)

Four_Tet_-_Three.png

Four Tet are a name I’ve been familiar with for a while, but never knowingly listened to any material. I always thought they were indie for some reason, I dunno, maybe I’m confusing them with someone else. Three is a pleasant surprise, instead of generic indie, I find some low-fi beats, reminiscent of dreamy, fuzzy drives home after a late night out (hi Blue Room by The Orb).

On first listen, nothing really stood out but in Three’s case, that’s not a bad thing. I’d gladly listen to it again but possibly post-midnight, then to remind me of happier times.

Must Listen
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Kacey Musgraves - Deeper Well
    Folk Pop (2024)

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Deeper_Well.png

The lead/title track was ear wormy (?) enough to try the album out although I wasn’t hopeful of anything spectacular. That track, along with another, the name escapes me, seems like the melody has been plagiarised from something back from the seventies. The rest of the album is fairly run-of-the-mill, with a handful of songs standing out (Cardinal, Giver/Taker and Anime Eyes) but it’s the (for me) standout track, Sway, where the comfort zone is abandoned and hopefully a sign of things to come on future releases.

• 109. The Lostines - Meet the Lostines (2024)

The-Lostines-2024-MTL-326x245.jpg

I wasn't taken with this at all for a few tracks - it sounded like standard 60s girl group copycat stuff that's been done better elsewhere - then it suddenly picked up with the track After Party and they started to put their own stamp on things.  Not essential listening but I warmed to this, and Camera Obscura + pedal steel guitar ended up working for me.  

110. Various Artists - My Black Country: The Songs of Alice Randall (2024)

My-Black-Country-cover-800x800-1-768x768.jpg

Another Oh Boy records release, this one features a collection covers of songs written by Alice Randall, the first African-American woman to write a no.1 country song (XXX's and OOO's, popularised by Trisha Yarwood).   The songs have a strong storytelling focus, which tends to be something I like, and coupled with strong performances made for a fun first time listen.  Rhiannon Giddens' rendition of The Ballad of Sally Anne is the pick of the bunch for me, closely followed by Solitary Hero by Sunny War.  Plenty of names I'm not familiar with here - including Alice Randall before reading about this - ergo more stuff to look into.

• 111. Vic Chesnutt & Mr & Mrs. Keneipp - Merriment (2000)

600x600bf-60.jpg

I think Vic squeezes into the S-tier for 'tortured genius' in modern music, and aside from a soundtrack this is the only album of his I hadn't heard.  The music was actually pre-written for him here - VC just listened, then provided the words - but it still sounds like it could just about be a solo album really.   It's a bit lighter than most of his work, which is nice to hear for a change, but admittedly his very best stuff can be deeply depressing.  As expected this is very good and will be worth revisiting for a closer listen at some point.  If you haven't heard him I'd recommend starting elsewhere though - this is more accessible than his best work but it's not as unsettlingly rewarding as his deepest darkest moments.  If you want a Vic to latch onto in a couple of listens I'd suggest starting with Is The Actor Happy? Or just click on this video for a snapshot of full magnificence:

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless
    Synthpop (2024)

7a6ddcd02dd89d33fa4bc21fa37564d0.jpg

After the conclusion of the ‘electric’ trilogy, Smash Hits’ fave duo and pop band have reunited with their former label Parlophone for the less club-influenced Nonethless. On first listen (there will be more), there’s certainly nothing that’s going to shoot them back to the upper echelons of the chart, but it feels like a familiar, flea-bitten old blanket that you keep returning to despite having a much swankier one still in the bag of the shop you bought it from a few months back.

Even though the back end of the album tails off a tad, I have a feeling this is the section I’ll revisit more as time goes by. However, for now, my favourite track is Why am I Dancing?

Must Listen:

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob incoming
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    He doesn’t come in here fortunately.

The first CD I ever bought was Actually and that was (and still is) a masterpiece.
  • 112. Sunny War - Anarchist Gospel (2023)

OTctNDQ3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Further listening after her appearance on My Black Country further up the page. This is the first record I've heard for a while where the guitar playing has jumped out immediately - I wasn't expecting such a skilled guitarist from someone billed as folk/punk (I assumed she'd be decent ofc, but not eyebrows raised levels).  Stylish picking aside this is a good album that sounds great - the production had me gutted I can't plug my Fostex headphones into my phone.  It took a couple of listens to pick anything in particular out, but I'd have Whole as the best track, which I'll link to below.  Has guest appearances from Allison Russell, David Rawlings and Jim James, none of whom hog the limelight.  One to watch - I'm hoping she's got something sensational up her sleeve for the future.  This isn't quite it, but it's a damn good effort. 

• Did you ever watch My Kind of Country on Apple TV, Moot? The Mrs and I surprised ourselves by actually enjoying it. And there were some absolute gems among the contestants. The whole point of the show was to find country artists from outside of mainstream country culture. There was a Congolese group who mixed African rhythms in, an Indian guy who brought incredible fingerpicking into it, and so on.
  • No, haven't tested the Apple TV waters yet.  Do things stay on there?  Will probably grab a trial at some point (can't ignore Slow Horses forever).
  • Yeah, Apple’s own stuff stays on there for good. Anything you access from other providers through the app can come and go (eg. BBC, Paramount, etc).
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I watched Hijack with Idris Elba which was really good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!